PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson is building a great team.

VengefulAngel
06-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA

hawksdogsbraves
06-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Gotta say, for as much as I dislike the Knicks, great value pick there

VengefulAngel
06-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Gotta say, for as much as I dislike the Knicks, great value pick there

They turned Tyson Chandler and a toxic contract into Jose Calderon, Dalembert and Cleanthony Early.

raprap
Damn. :applause:

stalkerforlife
Phil Jackson is a damn genius.

lilteapot
So far his greatest magic trick has been convincing the Mavs that trading Calderon for Felton was a good idea

Magic731
No one thinks he was taken too Early?

Blue&Orange
06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
wtf is a cleantony?

Cone
06-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Knick fans need to learm that calderon and dalembert are shitty.

Happu about feltons contract being gone? Have fun with jose's

DMAVS41
06-26-2014, 11:12 PM
So far his greatest magic trick has been convincing the Mavs that trading Calderon for Felton was a good idea

We wanted Calderon gone. And we got back a much better center on a 14.5 million dollar expiring deal while we shed half of the worst defensive backcourt in the league on a bad contract.

We got exactly what we wanted.

I'm glad the Knicks like what they got as well. I think Calderon will be a good fit there and these moves will be nice if Melo stays. If he leaves you guys won't want Calderon.

oh the horror
06-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Phil is making moves. And so far? They're pretty positive.

jimmy77x

such a hater :lol

lilteapot
We wanted Calderon gone. And we got back a much better center on a 14.5 million dollar expiring deal while we shed half of the worst defensive backcourt in the league on a bad contract.

We got exactly what we wanted.

I'm glad the Knicks like what they got as well. I think Calderon will be a good fit there and these moves will be nice if Melo stays. If he leaves you guys won't want Calderon.

Chandler is past his prime and injury prone. You will miss Calderon's great offense.

Knicksfever2010
No one thinks he was taken too Early?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/1183490d1376001399-pawn-stars-what-watch-i-see-what-you-did-there-futurama-fry-sneaky-sneak-hk7gda.jpg

smoovegittar
Thrilled with this pick! :applause:

Knicks looking different already! Gonna have some youth to work with this next season... awesome.

Cone
06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Dumb post. That wasnt about calderon for felton... It was about getting chandler. And they shed joses contract w that. Phil got fleeced

Fork
06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
What about Dirtyanthony Late? Is he any good?

russwest0
06-26-2014, 11:15 PM
I've watched Cleanthony Early play plenty of games in college basketball and he is a ****ing beast. Had he went in the lottery I wouldn't of even batted an eye. And the best part too is that he always seemed to play his best basketball in the biggest games of the season. In WSU's tournament career he led them to the Final four as a Cinderella story when they weren't even expected to make the tournament that year and had a number of key injuries and then next year led them to an undefeated regular season record and in the tournament he absolutely dominated Kentucky but his team got hosed by the refs down the stretch and they lost a game that they clearly were the better team in.

VengefulAngel
06-26-2014, 11:17 PM
I've watched Cleanthony Early play plenty of games in college basketball and he is a ****ing beast. Had he went in the lottery I wouldn't of even batted an eye. And the best part too is that he always seemed to play his best basketball in the biggest games of the season. In WSU's tournament career he led them to the Final four as a Cinderella story when they weren't even expected to make the tournament that year and then next year led them to an undefeated record and in the tournament he absolutely dominated Kentucky but his team got hosed by the refs down the stretch and they lost a game that they clearly were the better team in.

We seem to like the same players. He's a beast.

DMAVS41
Chandler is past his prime and injury prone. You will miss Calderon's great offense.

We won't miss Calderon because he doesn't work with Ellis. There will be no missing of the 7.5 million dollar a year for the next 3 years guard that is possibly the worst defensive pg in the league that fits horribly with the leading minute player on our team.

I don't care much about Chandler. He's at least 20% better than Dalembert and he's on a 14.5 million dollar expiring deal.

We shed Calderon and we had to...and in the process we barely dipped into our cap and got a center as good as any on the open market...and we aren't committed either.

Also...our offense was worse with Calderon on the floor last year. He did not fit well. He's a fine player...a really good player actually, but he and Ellis were a bad fit.

And you can't win when you pay 7.5 million to a player on your team that doesn't fit well with the leading minutes guy.

smoovegittar
Dumb post. That wasnt about calderon for felton... It was about getting chandler. And they shed joses contract w that. Phil got fleeced
You're a fukking dope. Seriously.

DMAVS41
06-26-2014, 11:21 PM
You're a fukking dope. Seriously.

he's right though.

you people have to stop ignoring the fact that the Mavs needed to shed the Calderon contract.

And in the process we got a center back that is at least 20% better than Dalembert and can play 10 to 12 more minutes a game.

It's a huge win for the Mavs. That doesn't mean we won the trade or even got the better deal. We just happened to get exactly what we wanted.

If Melo stays...i like this move a lot for the Knicks.

But please people...stop acting like the Mavs are sad about losing Calderon. That was a huge reason the trade is so good for the Mavs. We got rid of the contract we needed to...and we addressed our biggest weakness as best we can.

russwest0
06-26-2014, 11:22 PM
We seem to like the same players. He's a beast.

I remember watching that WSU/Kentucky game and thinking that it looked NBA playoff game level of rigged. In the final 10 minutes Kentucky got like 15 FT's and WSU got 0. And Kentucky only won by 2 points.

I wanted to see WSU keep playing just to see Early keep dominating and also to see if they could truly win it all and finish the season with a perfect record.

That game was total bullshit from an officiating standpoint. I wonder if WSU won that one and they went on to win the championship how it would have affected Early's draft stock.

Jameerthefear
06-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Not impressed tbh. Knicks will be in the lottery next season :oldlol:

Real14
06-26-2014, 11:26 PM

calderon iz not shitty tho:applause:

smoovegittar
06-26-2014, 11:26 PM
he's right though.

you people have to stop ignoring the fact that the Mavs needed to shed the Calderon contract.

And in the process we got a center back that is at least 20% better than Dalembert and can play 10 to 12 more minutes a game.

It's a huge win for the Mavs. That doesn't mean we won the trade or even got the better deal. We just happened to get exactly what we wanted.

If Melo stays...i like this move a lot for the Knicks.

But please people...stop acting like the Mavs are sad about losing Calderon. That was a huge reason the trade is so good for the Mavs. We got rid of the contract we needed to...and we addressed our biggest weakness as best we can.

You responding to EVERY post and going on and on reeks of insecurity. I don't believe that the Mavs are sad about losing Jose... but I also know that Phil is very high on him. You don't seem to understand how much we wanted Chandler and Felton gone - it seemed near impossible. So I'm happy for you and happy for my team - and conehead can go eat shitt.

Real14
06-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Not impressed tbh. Knicks will be in the lottery next season :oldlol:
REPORTED for having a butthurt answer and rooting for a worse team currently and historically than tha team you are currently dissing.

smoovegittar
06-26-2014, 11:31 PM
REPORTED for having a butthurt answer and rooting for a worse team currently and historically than tha team you are currently dissing.
Just ignore that piece of shitt. He only mirrors his sucky team. You check out his fanboy damage control post?

Hey Jameer - you and your team are the freakin' worst, and you have shitt all over your face once again. What else is new? :no:

Jameerthefear
06-26-2014, 11:33 PM
"worse team currently and historically"
http://i.imgur.com/ueVEeas.jpg

DMAVS41
06-26-2014, 11:34 PM
You responding to EVERY post and going on and on reeks of insecurity. I don't believe that the Mavs are sad about losing Jose... but I also know that Phil is very high on him. You don't seem to understand how much we wanted Chandler and Felton gone - it seemed near impossible. So I'm happy for you and happy for my team - and conehead can go eat shitt.

I am absolutely not insecure about this.

I proposed almost the exact same trade for Chandler/Felton months ago.

I could not be more thrilled with this.

I already said I like it for the Knicks. My only worry is that you guys will hate the Calderon contract if you lose Melo.

Asik just went for a top 20 pick. Knicks could have gotten the same for Chandler. If Melo stays...PJ did the right thing. If he leaves? I think it was a bad move. I hope Melo stays...because I don't want him on the Mavs or on the Rockets.

Real14
06-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Just ignore that piece of shitt. He only mirrors his sucky team. You check out his fanboy damage control post?

Hey Jameer - you and your team are the freakin' worst, and you have shitt all over your face once again. What else is new? :no:
yea I did checked that out, he gonna have a bad summer:lol

MellowYellow
06-26-2014, 11:38 PM
I am absolutely not insecure about this.

I proposed almost the exact same trade for Chandler/Felton months ago.

I could not be more thrilled with this.

I already said I like it for the Knicks. My only worry is that you guys will hate the Calderon contract if you lose Melo.

Asik just went for a top 20 pick. Knicks could have gotten the same for Chandler. If Melo stays...PJ did the right thing. If he leaves? I think it was a bad move. I hope Melo stays...because I don't want him on the Mavs or on the Rockets.

Tyson isn't on the level of Asik, plus he is older.

bluechox2
06-26-2014, 11:39 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10455317_548512055255346_2081802458216993534_n.jpg

Jameerthefear
06-26-2014, 11:39 PM
I completely mind f*cked smooveguitar and Real14 :oldlol:

russwest0
06-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Damn, Cleanthony Early looks so focused and hungry in his draftexpress interview. With his alpha mentality that shines in big games I'm not surprised that Phil drafted him.

I can't wait to see him play in the summer league.

DMAVS41
06-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Tyson isn't on the level of Asik, plus he is older.

I didn't say Chandler was as good or as valuable as Asik...just that if Melo doesn't come back...that trade won't be very good because of the taking on of Calderon's salary.

That will be annoying for the Knicks trying to do a complete rebuild.

If Melo stays...I love it.

navy
06-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Why would Melo stay?

Draz
06-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Got rid of Tyson simply because the mavs have had a promising past with him. If it wasn't for that we wouldn't of gotten rid of him so easily.. Whatever came after that I like. We moved Felton for a blatantly better pg. Something we've always been dying for.

Everything after that was a bonus

Bimbo Coles
06-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Good moves so long as they aren't taking contracts they won't want in a few seasons time. Next season's FA is when they need to be liquid.

Real14
06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Why would Melo stay?
look at tha OP's thread title:coleman:

BigBoss
06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
In a few years they should be a .500 ball club

Killbot
06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Carmelo Cleanthony

Real14
06-27-2014, 12:01 AM
In a few years they should be a .500 ball club
take that avatar pic down right now:mad: :coleman:

Patrick Chewing
06-27-2014, 12:33 AM
wtf is a cleantony?

Clearly a combination of Cleopatra and Mark Antony. Somebody in that family is a history buff.

bluechox2
06-27-2014, 01:35 AM
just imagine cleanthony and timmyJr on the break

Rameek
06-27-2014, 02:03 AM
As far as building a great team where? Without Melo its a lottery team. There are some holes to fill. The team did get younger and a little more athletic though.

I didn't say Chandler was as good or as valuable as Asik...just that if Melo doesn't come back...that trade won't be very good because of the taking on of Calderon's salary.

That will be annoying for the Knicks trying to do a complete rebuild.

If Melo stays...I love it.
Bro you keep saying this garbage about Caldy's contract. The 7 mill isnt pretty but good lord you acting like its crippling in some way when it isnt to the Knicks...

If Melo walks away his salary off the books 22 mill, Stat salary comes off the books next year 22mill, Bargs salary comes off the books 12 mill next year.... Dale (1.8 buy out), Shump, Ellington, also comes off the books.

Chandler never meant much to the Knicks on the floor and only averaged 60 games a season with the Knicks. He was good leader I'll admit but he wasnt a game changer.

Felton was just terrible he had no game offensively or defensively or passing. So to most Knicks fans at least Caldy can shoot and pass the rock. It's clearly a win to most of us. He's clearly an upgrade. No one is saying Dallas is sad for losing Caldy but Felton is just a TERRIBLE player from the bench or starting.

MellowYellow
06-27-2014, 03:40 AM
As far as building a great team where? Without Melo its a lottery team. There are some holes to fill. The team did get younger and a little more athletic though.

Bro you keep saying this garbage about Caldy's contract. The 7 mill isnt pretty but good lord you acting like its crippling in some way when it isnt to the Knicks...

If Melo walks away his salary off the books 22 mill, Stat salary comes off the books next year 22mill, Bargs salary comes off the books 12 mill next year.... Dale (1.8 buy out), Shump, Ellington, also comes off the books.

Chandler never meant much to the Knicks on the floor and only averaged 60 games a season with the Knicks. He was good leader I'll admit but he wasnt a game changer.

Felton was just terrible he had no game offensively or defensively or passing. So to most Knicks fans at least Caldy can shoot and pass the rock. It's clearly a win to most of us. He's clearly an upgrade. No one is saying Dallas is sad for losing Caldy but Felton is just a TERRIBLE player from the bench or starting.

Sorry but Tyson was not a good leader, did nothing but cry and throw other guys under the bus when he wasn't doing anything to solve any problems himself.

Real14
06-27-2014, 03:55 AM
just imagine cleanthony and timmyJr on the break
:applause:

Leroy Jetson
06-27-2014, 03:58 AM
wtf is a cleantony?
Isn't that one of the protocols of the Iron Man suit?

Real14
06-27-2014, 04:00 AM
Isn't that one of the protocols of the Iron Man suit?
:durantunimpressed:

pastis
06-27-2014, 04:04 AM
it was a good trade for ny, phil shows his impact right now. if carmelo will stay (and i think he will due to phil) ny has a shot to become a top 3 team in the east.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-27-2014, 04:07 AM
I like the Chandler trade for both teams, honestly.

pastis
06-27-2014, 04:12 AM
I like the Chandler trade for both teams, honestly.

the thing about mavs is: how do they rebuild? they will probably fighting for the 8th spot again next season. after that, dirk is done and they will fall in deep hole. no picks, no star wants to come to dallas. not a bright future :facepalm

ROCSteady
06-27-2014, 05:30 AM
wtf is a cleantony?

http://www.greenesace.com/files/u1/MrClean.jpg + http://ll-media.tmz.com/2014/05/08/0508-tony-the-tiger-rip-kelloggs-01-1200x630.jpg = CLEANtony

Clean Tony

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 05:33 AM
shouldn't the Knicks be more concerned about how they are going to trade for players since signing a star player might prove really difficult if Melo choose to walk even with all that contract coming off the books.

Picks?

Picks.

DMAVS41
06-27-2014, 10:19 AM

I think you'll be surprised about Calderon long term...especially if you lose Shumpert.

You have to pair him with an elite or at least very good sg and wing defender to make the defense work to win at all honestly.

I'm not saying it's crippling at all...LOL...you guys are the ones acting like Felton is crippling. Who makes roughly half of what Calderon makes and for a year less...and won't be asked to start either.

Like I said before...30 minutes of Calderon and 20 minutes of Harris at pg for the Mavs is like 5% better than 30 minutes of Harris and 20 minutes of Felton.

No doubt you guys got an upgrade, but we honestly didn't lose much at pg. Harris is the better fit for us and I bet Felton will either get the Mavs treatment of player that apparently sucks, but comes over plays well in a better role...or we just essentially pay him to leave and go out and sign another guard like Vasquez or something.

I know you guys hated Felton...and rightfully so, but part of the blame is on the Knicks culture and leadership and coaching...etc. He's now coming to a stable environment that has salvaged the careers of a lot of guys. Only Odom came here and sucked and honestly that was because he just quit. If Felton does the same we'll cut him.

Shit though...Mayo got a 3 year 24 million dollar deal after coming here. Think about that!

Anyway...I hope we go get another guard regardless. We need more shooting. And even though I actually think Mekel will be nice in some type of small role, I'd like to some added shooting.

A guy I haven't heard much talk in Dallas about is Avery Bradley. I bet we could get him for between 6 and 7 million a year. We add him and Deng...and the more I think about it...the more I like that better than any star players coming in.

You run with Harris/Ellis/Bradley/Mekel at guards with Felton as a spark guy if needed and potentially Carter if the money fits and Cuban is willing to dig into the pockets.

Have Deng/Crowder/Dirk/Wright at forwards.

Chandler/Blair at center.

We'd still probably like to have another center on the roster, but that move can be made during the season. Wright is on an expiring deal and if he doesn't show improvement on defense/glass this year...we can get a real player for his contract/potential.

We'd have a crunch time lineup of;

Bradley
Ellis
Deng
Dirk
Chandler

That is head and shoulders better than what we had last year and Bradley helps/fits on this team way better than Calderon as Calderon's offense is useless in crunch time because Ellis has the ball a lot and all Calderon did was space the floor at the pg position. Which Bradley can do as well has he's turned into a very solid 3 point shooter...especially when he's open.

That lineup would go from being terrible on defense last year...to actually very good on defense this year.

Also, I know what we are getting with Chandler. I don't even like Chandler that much. I told all you Knicks fans you'd be hugely upset overall in his play at that price...and that's exactly what happened.

However, he's about 20% better than Dalembert and he can play an extra 10 to 12 minutes a game. So that is a real upgrade for us. An extra qtr of play at our weakest position by a guy 20% better regardless of minutes played? Yea, that actually matters a lot.

But he also is an expiring contract and fits well with us. We can move him if it doesn't work for a package built around Larry Sanders...or we can let him expire and sign him cheap for 2 more years to have him and Dirk finish this little 3 year window together and then re-evaluate.

I just think Knicks fans and analysts are missing the a huge point here. The Mavs knew they had to move Calderon. That was honestly the point of the trade. To shed his contract and Ellington (worse than Felton at a similar price) and try to remain flexible and help the team at the same time. Which is exactly what we did.

Long term...it just sucks losing Larkin. But other than that it was nothing. We wanted Calderon gone. Ellington and Dalembert were not relevant. The picks would have cost cap we don't have to keep. Larkin was the only guy i'd rather have than his cap.

If possible, and there wasn't a trade, the Mavs would have cut Calderon, Ellington, Dalembert to free up the 14 or so million they make combined a year. That is the point people are missing...14 million of extra cap space this summer is simply way more valuable than the likes of Calderon, Ellington, Dalembert. That is the point. We bascially got that space and added Chandler for 1 year. Makes sense.

Springsteen
06-27-2014, 10:30 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10455317_548512055255346_2081802458216993534_n.jpg

they look depressed

Springsteen
06-27-2014, 10:33 AM
shouldn't the Knicks be more concerned about how they are going to trade for players since signing a star player might prove really difficult if Melo choose to walk even with all that contract coming off the books.

Eh, it's still NYC. As with the Lakers, if someone threw you a max contract and you got to live in an attractive city like that as opposed to say, Detroit offering you the same, I'd probably take the former every single time.

Boarder Patrol
06-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Dalembert/Calderon >>> Chandler/Felton. Not even close, if the trade were just those guys I still do it. Calderon blows Felton out of the water and Dally is 80% of what Chandler does for 20% of the price.

AND we got Larkin, Cleanthony and Thanasis on top. Love it :applause:

DMAVS41
06-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Dalembert/Calderon >>> Chandler/Felton. Not even close, if the trade were just those guys I still do it. Calderon blows Felton out of the water and Dally is 80% of what Chandler does for 20% of the price.

AND we got Larkin, Cleanthony and Thanasis on top. Love it :applause:

Maybe for the Knicks, but certainly not for us. I'd much rather have Chandler/Felton than Calderon/Dalembert...and it's not remotely close.

Dalembert was a clown and could only stay on the floor for roughly 19 minutes per game...while we got 27 out of Calderon and he wasn't part of our crunch time unit in the playoffs because of his horrid defense and poor fit.

Again, we get 20% better player that can play an extra qtr at our weakest position. That is a huge upgrade for us at center. Also, you seem unable to grasp that Chandler is now an expiring contract.

Again, with Felton...we aren't asking him to start. If he even plays...he's going to be a 15 to 20 minute a game guy. We aren't asking him to be our starter and play 34 minutes like the Knicks did when they got him. He's going to be in a role that is a far better fit for him and he's going to have less responsibility.

Felton at 3.7 million a year with an expiring contract going into next season is almost not relevant. Felton is worth that actually. Like I said above, he's way way way way better than Ellington for us. And Ellington was making close to 3 million a year.

niko
06-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Felton was one of the worst PG's in the NBA last year (including backups) and combined that with a bad attitude and constant injury problems. Stop trying to tell the Knick fans how much we'll miss him. Calderon is a hundred times better. Literally I am not kidding.

I think the Mavs got a nice piece in Chandler, and we got some nice pieces back. But this fanboys WE WON THE TRADE EVERY PIECE WE GOT IS AMAZING shit is ludicrous. Felton is GARBAGE. If you are relying on him as a rotation piece that's a problem.

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Eh, it's still NYC. As with the Lakers, if someone threw you a max contract and you got to live in an attractive city like that as opposed to say, Detroit offering you the same, I'd probably take the former every single time.

right, but are you there to get paychecks or there to win?

see, lets say the Knicks gets a winning record next year, and they put themselves right at 40 wins, your 6th-8th seed projection on the East. Which I actually believe to be quite possible, even without Melo and they sign a few decent players. (Deng/Bradley)

They are then still faced with who they bring back, and at what price, and whether or not under that scenario they can lock up another star player, which is Love/Durant.

After that the Knicks are pretty much after the 2010 FIBA team.

Like I've stated before, he's going to make decent great moves the first 2-3 years, but this all has to include setting themselves up for maybe the 3rd or 4th year having the cap, or the ability to trade for another young star, maybe even two.

DMAVS41
06-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Felton was one of the worst PG's in the NBA last year (including backups) and combined that with a bad attitude and constant injury problems. Stop trying to tell the Knick fans how much we'll miss him. Calderon is a hundred times better. Literally I am not kidding.

I think the Mavs got a nice piece in Chandler, and we got some nice pieces back. But this fanboys WE WON THE TRADE EVERY PIECE WE GOT IS AMAZING shit is ludicrous. Felton is GARBAGE. If you are relying on him as a rotation piece that's a problem.

I never said you'd miss Felton. Please stop the straw man.

I didn't want him in the trade when I first heard it because I didn't know about the Ellington part.

But what you seem unable to grasp is that Ellington is way way way worse than Felton for us. Ellington was a 3 million dollar paper weight. At least Felton can actually play and could potentially see the court. Ellington was not a relevant player on our roster.

So yes...I'd much rather have Chandler than Calderon and Felton than Ellington. Everything else in the trade is meaningless. Dalembert sucked for us and he's not worth 4 million a year for the minutes we got from him. The picks don't matter to us. Like I said...only thing that hurts is Larkin.

You just aren't seeing it from the Mavs perspective. We got out of our bad Calderon contract and got a better player than Ellington at a similar price and addressed our center position while maintaining cap flexibility.

That doesn't mean the Knicks didn't also get exactly what they wanted.

Also, stop acting like the culture of the Knicks with shit coaching and poor chemistry isn't part of your problem. The Mavs have perhaps the 2nd best culture/stability in the league with Dirk and Carlisle.

If Felton can play 15 minutes a game well...he'll find his Fatass on the court. If he can't, we'll bench him just like we did Ellington and there is no difference there at all.

I'm hoping we go out and get another guard actually...which might mike Felton like our 10th man. Smart/Bradley would be a pretty sick guard rotation, so I'm assuming the Celtics match Bradley offers, but damn...Bradley/Ariza or Bradley/Deng type additions to this Mavs team make us very Spurs esque with a legit 10 deep squad.

StephHamann
12-09-2014, 09:15 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/640/962/d91.gif

Lebron23
12-09-2014, 10:10 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/640/962/d91.gif

Banderas was a good villain in that movie.