PDA

View Full Version : Could Julius Randle be a Lamar Odom type player for the Lakers?

BallsOut
06-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Left handed, rebounds well, and can handle the ball in transition. He doesn't have as much of a perimeter game, but his mechanics are good. Odom was a decent, but never a great 3pt shooter. Both tenacious rebounders.

Anyone see him as a Lamar Odom type of player for the Lakers?

Lakers could go with an 08-09esque roster, something like this next season:

PG: Kyle Lowry | Jordan Farmar
SG: Kobe Bryant | Nick Young
SF: Trevor Ariza | Xavier Henry
PF: Julius Randle | Jordan Hill
C: Pau Gasol | Chris Kaman

Hire Byron Scott and Kurt Rhambis to run the triangle :confusedshrug:

artificial
06-27-2014, 12:11 AM
I was thinking a better version of Antonio Davis, not sure he has the versatility of Odom.

Regardless, he is one of my favorite players in this draft. It's troubling to see him go to a team I don't like, but go Randle!

D-Rose
06-27-2014, 12:12 AM
His game isn't similar to LO. I think he can be an all-star though.

9erempiree
06-27-2014, 12:14 AM
He's nothing like LO. LO was versatile because he can handle the rock and can play on the perimeter. Randle is the opposite. He happens to play inside and can handle the rock.

:banana:

AnaheimLakers24
06-27-2014, 12:15 AM
is he someone that can have an impact right away since hes a big? I really dont want another kwame an im getting vibes of that

Qwyjibo
06-27-2014, 12:16 AM
David Lee.

RonSwanson
06-27-2014, 12:17 AM
is he someone that can have an impact right away since hes a big? I really dont want another kwame an im getting vibes of that

Arguably the most NBA ready draftee besides Parker. Rebounds and finishes extremely well

Genaro
06-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Odom's ball handling was off the charts for a guy his size, I don't know if Randle will be able to matchup. His passing was great too.
His jumper got better after 2009. Specially from deep.

IGOTGAME
06-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Odom's ball handling was off the charts for a guy his size, I don't know if Randle will be able to matchup. His passing was great too.
His jumper got better after 2009. Specially from deep.

Odom had a sick left hand and was athletic enough to get where he wanted. But, he had exactly one dribble move for the entirety of his career and 0 right hand.

outbreak
maybe if you've never seen either of them play before

TheMarkMadsen
I'm happy to have Randle as a Laker, he should be able to make a difference from the get go.

I'm very excited to see what we do in free agency.

BallsOut
06-27-2014, 11:41 PM
He's nothing like LO. LO was versatile because he can handle the rock and can play on the perimeter. Randle is the opposite. He happens to play inside and can handle the rock.

:banana:

Man I miss LO :cry:

Meticode
06-27-2014, 11:43 PM
:biggums: When Odom was drafted at the very beginning he had the ability to play 4 positions. Randle is absolutely nothing like Odom.

Damn you Odom getting all depressed and lazy just because you had to leave L.A.

flipogb
06-27-2014, 11:51 PM
:biggums: When Odom was drafted at the very beginning he had the ability to play 4 positions. Randle is absolutely nothing like Odom.

Damn you Odom getting all depressed and lazy just because you had to leave L.A.

he was great when the Lakers were rolling, still tho he could have been so much more if he was tough mentally. Odom's body is literally built for basketball, too bad he had the wrong brain in there.

D-Rose
06-27-2014, 11:55 PM
he was great when the Lakers were rolling, still tho he could have been so much more if he was tough mentally. Odom's body is literally built for basketball, too bad he had the wrong brain in there.
Hopefully he can revive his career w/ NYK under Fish and Phil.

longtime lurker
06-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Charles Barkley. If Randle extends his range out to 3 point land then lookout

RonSwanson
06-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Odom was a SG in a PF body. Randle is a PF in a big SF body. Still, Randle will be infinitely better than Odom

Quizno
06-28-2014, 12:06 AM
maybe if you've never seen either of them play before
LMAO

LA Lakers
06-28-2014, 07:12 AM
I dont watch college ball anymore so I have no idea how good this Randle kid is. The only thing I can say is is that Kobe isn't playing in the year 2009 anymore. But I like OP's optimism!

Sakkreth
06-28-2014, 07:44 AM
It's interesting. Every team nowadays has Kyle Lowry in their lineup.

Real Men Wear Green
06-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Randle will never be as guard-like as Odom and is a lot more rugged. He should be a good rebounder like Odom was but as 4s they don't have much more in common, Randle should be a physical type.

KingPush
06-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I like Randle but im kinda concerned about his size. 6'9 and a 7 foot wingspan is good but when you see guys like Vonleh and Gordon you can tell he's small compared to them. Ive never seen a Randle dunk from stand still, his arms just arent that long. He probably has broad shoulders that helps his wingspan measure longer.

He's a 1 foot leaper like Lebron, except hes a post player so its not a good fit for him

brownmamba00
06-28-2014, 09:33 AM
I like Randle but im kinda concerned about his size. 6'9 and a 7 foot wingspan is good but when you see guys like Vonleh and Gordon you can tell he's small compared to them. Ive never seen a Randle dunk from stand still, his arms just arent that long. He probably has broad shoulders that helps his wingspan measure longer.

He's a 1 foot leaper like Lebron, except hes a post player so its not a good fit for him
everyone is worried about his size but he's still only 19...so he's still growing and will prob add an inch or 2 like Giannis or AD did.

Real Men Wear Green
06-28-2014, 10:17 AM
He'll struggle with defending perimeter bigs maybe for his whole career, inexperience hurting early and loss of quickness hurting as he ages. But true big men have become as scarce as I can remember, especially ones that can score. Randle doesn't have the full repertoire but he's young and could evolve into a Malone-type. Unfortunately he may not find himself a Stockton but what I'm expecting is to see his physicality generally give the opposing 4 more problems than their jumper gives him because he's scoring more efficiently and putting them in foul trouble by playing close to the basket.

What could be another problem for him is that he's not going to be versatile. He is basically the prototype for a power forward, he doesn't have the length you need to protect the basket as a center and doesn't belong on the perimeter at all, should have 18 feet of range and stick to the low or high post depending on the match-up. I could se a guy like Deandre Jordan giving him fits with length and athleticism. But if he can be teamed with a real center and not forced to play five himself, just kept at the 4, he'll be alright.