PDA

View Full Version : can't think of a less exciting top draft pick than Julius Randle

STATUTORY
06-27-2014, 12:41 AM
really disappointed that Lakers went with him instead of ucla product zach lavine or vonleh. Already can see Randle's entire career trajectory in a nutshell, undersized smaller zach randolph without nearly as much finesse or size, plays below the rim like it's still the 80s and have no jumper to compensate.

Hopefully he gets packaged with steve nash and traded out of him. dont want to see him in purple and gold period. Dude's a flat out bust, this year's anthony bennett.

Jim Buss is trying so hard to recreate the 80s showtime lakers, dude has completely lost touch with modern NBA. :facepalm

TheMarkMadsen
06-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Randle was a great pick with great value at 7

He led his team to the title game as a freshman.

He is exactly what the Lakers needed from this draft.

RonSwanson
06-27-2014, 12:46 AM
really disappointed that Lakers went with him instead of ucla product zach lavine or vonleh

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

outbreak
06-27-2014, 12:47 AM
randle will be way better than lavine

UK2K
06-27-2014, 12:51 AM
Julius Randle Goes Coast-to-Coast for #SCtop10 Du

Fudge
06-27-2014, 12:52 AM
Lmao @ wanting LaBum and Vonleh over Randle.

ZeN
06-27-2014, 01:07 AM
There Is no better rookie to work under Kobes tutelage.. Bryant is Randals idol. If anything he will work harder just to get Kobes approval. Plus, his aggressive nature and competitive attitude is not something you can inculcate in a player... They either got it or they don't. Everything else, the Laker staff will start working with him and will aid him in all the facets in which hes deficient.

HOoopCityJones
06-27-2014, 01:09 AM
You Drunk OP

MJ(Mean John)
06-27-2014, 01:37 AM
Obviously outside the big 4, I had this guy next in my top 5. Guy is NBA ready and is a beast, can come in now and command a double. Guy is MEAN on the low block. Back to the basket, guy has a soft touch too. I like it. Just what we needed. Kid wil be a stud, mark my words.

STATUTORY
06-27-2014, 01:58 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
never draft based on NCAA performance, always based on how thier abilities would translate to the NBA

Randle can dominate the lower levels but his game is not made for the pros

gts
06-27-2014, 02:02 AM
never draft based on NCAA performance, always based on how thier abilities would translate to the NBA

Randle can dominate the lower levels but his game is not made for the pros

There's a long line of NBA people that think you're full of sh*t on this topic :lol

Rameek
06-27-2014, 02:12 AM
Obviously outside the big 4, I had this guy next in my top 5. Guy is NBA ready and is a beast, can come in now and command a double. Guy is MEAN on the low block. Back to the basket, guy has a soft touch too. I like it. Just what we needed. Kid wil be a stud, mark my words.
Agree with this. Although he is a tweener he can be effective.

Paul Millsap size guy with more athleticism...

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 02:14 AM
does that mean we'll start seeing Aaron Gordon billboards all over Orlando?

ImKobe
06-27-2014, 02:18 AM
Randle was a safe pick for us. He will at worst be a solid starter in this league and at best he's a 20/10 guy.

People here say that he sucks or that he's going to bust because he can't shoot that well -- I don't think that will be an issue. He's basically the same size as D12 and if D12 can score 17-19 points a game without any shooting ability, so can Randle. What he might not have in athletic ability, he makes up well for it with his toughness inside and his strength to bully the defenders in the low post.

Hindsight is 20/20, but we picked a top 5 prospect that did really well in college and who has a very respectable skillset. It was the safest pick we could have made.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-27-2014, 02:19 AM
You're most likely not gonna get a superstar player at #7. Randle is a safe pick. Good rebounder, good inside presence. Good fit next to Kobe.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 02:47 AM
Poor man's Thomas Robinson IMO. Got crushed by every good player he went up against (c. Early, J Stokes, J OBryant TWICE, plenty more. All these guys were 2nd rounders). Plays bully ball. That works great in HS and college in the SEC but he is undersized with a poor wingspan and won't be able to do it in the league. Shot 20% from outside the lane on the season and his coach forbade him from shooting from outside the last month of the season.

AirTupac
06-27-2014, 02:49 AM
Mitch said they expected Randle to be higher on the board. He had great workouts for them and was one of the best players in the tournament. But nah, OP knows more.

eliteballer
06-27-2014, 02:54 AM
[QUOTE=UK2K]Smart vs Julius Randle CRAZY DUNK OFF! Who

RoTM
06-27-2014, 02:56 AM
You're most likely not gonna get a superstar player at #7. Randle is a safe pick. Good rebounder, good inside presence. Good fit next to Kobe.

I wouldn't say safe. No one in his range is bust proof and he does have multiple red flags. Lakers took him because they think he will produce now.

eliteballer
06-27-2014, 02:56 AM
Poor man's Thomas Robinson IMO. Got crushed by every good player he went up against (c. Early, J Stokes, J OBryant TWICE, plenty more. All these guys were 2nd rounders). Plays bully ball. That works great in HS and college in the SEC but he is undersized with a poor wingspan and won't be able to do it in the league. Shot 20% from outside the lane on the season and his coach forbade him from shooting from outside the last month of the season.

You forgot the part where's just a freshman..

RoundMoundOfReb
06-27-2014, 02:57 AM
I wouldn't say safe. No one in his range is bust proof and he does have multiple red flags. Lakers took him because they think he will produce now.
Yeah true. NBA ready would've been a better way of putting it. Someone like Vonleh is definitely a lot more raw.

veilside23
06-27-2014, 03:09 AM
i wonder why people pretend that the lakers did bad in this draft...
randle is your pf even if gasol stays...

and i think they dont value the trade for jordan clarkson..

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 03:11 AM
You forgot the part where's just a freshman..

As opposed to the first 5 players taken in the draft?

Looks like he is a hard worker. Just don't think his current game translates well.

http://deanondraft.com/2014/01/29/a-randle-walk-down-fraud-street/
http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/25/visibility-bias-and-julius-randles-defense/

AWFUL defender too. As I mentioned, he got embarrassed when he went up against round 2 talent. Whats going to happen when he gets into the league where those guys don't even play?

ImKobe
06-27-2014, 03:13 AM
[QUOTE=UK2K]Julius Randle Goes Coast-to-Coast for #SCtop10 Du

ImKobe
06-27-2014, 03:15 AM
As opposed to the first 5 players taken in the draft?

Looks like he is a hard worker. Just don't think his current game translates well.

http://deanondraft.com/2014/01/29/a-randle-walk-down-fraud-street/
http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/25/visibility-bias-and-julius-randles-defense/

AWFUL defender too. As I mentioned, he got embarrassed when he went up against round 2 talent. Whats going to happen when he gets into the league where those guys don't even play?

You're just hating on the brodie.

HOoopCityJones
06-27-2014, 03:18 AM
Now Ni99as wanna act like Randle wasn't Top 5 projected before the Exum hype kicked in? It's arguable that he should of went before Gordon did.

There was talk of him going Top 4 when he was leading his Team to a NCAA Championship game, while the Top prospects were at home sitting on their ass.

UK2K
06-27-2014, 03:56 AM

He had 13, 10, 6 against Early (who was a 23 year old senior).
He had 18 and 4 against Stokes (a 21 year old sophomore and 5* prospect out of HS)
He averaged 7 points and 10 rebounds against O'Bryant in two games (a 21 year old junior)

He did all that at 18.

And, um, no he didn't. I've been a life long UK fan and watch every game, and what you just said was almost a complete lie.

He only had 2 games where he didn't score double figures in the final 2 months of the season, and had the most double double's for a freshman in UK history (beating out Davis and Cousins).

And he's 19.

His defense is suspect, but so was all the freshman playing for UK. He's had one year of real coaching, there's zero evidence looking at his game that he won't make an all-star team at some point.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-27-2014, 04:06 AM
He had 13, 10, 6 against Early (who was a 23 year old senior).
He had 18 and 4 against Stokes (a 21 year old sophomore and 5* prospect out of HS)
He averaged 7 points and 10 rebounds against O'Bryant in two games (a 21 year old junior)

He did all that at 18.

And, um, no he didn't. I've been a life long UK fan and watch every game, and what you just said was almost a complete lie.

He only had 2 games where he didn't score double figures in the final 2 months of the season, and had the most double double's for a freshman in UK history (beating out Davis and Cousins).

And he's 19.

His defense is suspect, but so was all the freshman playing for UK. He's had one year of real coaching, there's zero evidence looking at his game that he won't make an all-star team at some point.

Who would be your NBA comparison for him?

UK2K
06-27-2014, 04:22 AM
Who would be your NBA comparison for him?

I've had lots of people ask me that, and honestly, there is no good answer. He's most like Barkley (not saying he will ever be that good) because he's an absolute beast on the glass. He will probably average close to 3 ORPG which almost guarantees him 4-6 ppg (depending on if he is fouled).

The one thing he does that doesn't get mentioned much, is he moves, a lot. He always moves. He runs the floor, he can handle it on a fast break (check the video on page 1), he runs the baseline, he slashes. He is always moving, always cutting, always fighting for position, and when a shot goes up, he already has a first step toward the rebound, and when he gets it, he will generally finish it even with people hanging all over him. A pick and roll with him will be tough to stop, because once he gets moving to the basket, he will run you over if you're in his way, but he also has a nice finesse game when he needs it.

He has the ability to use his right hand, but just doesn't. He'll just have to get more used to using it. He made some nice finishes with his right, but he generally goes left. His spin move in the post is pretty much unstoppable.

If I had to guess, I am pretty confident to say he will average 12-14 pts and 7-8 rebounds per game as a rookie. As he gets time in the league, and improves his free throw shooting, he will up his scoring. As he gets older, and working with a professional weight training staff, he will probably get to about 265.

I don't think it will be a stretch to say that one day he will average 19 and 9.

Oh, and his jump shot is atrocious. He's already got nice form it just needs work. He has no shot because he never needed one, but it will come along soon enough with an already established form. Check his free throws, it looks smooth.

I think, ultimately, his success depends on who the other post player is that is playing alongside him.

buddha
06-27-2014, 05:27 AM
Julius Randle Goes Coast-to-Coast for #SCtop10 Du…: http://youtu.be/iFhIaqn_W_karcus

Zach Randolph clone

and if Blake Griffin can shoot a mid-range jumper there's no reason why Randle can't.

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 05:30 AM
Calipari > Chad Ford