PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait to see Philly in 5 years.

VengefulAngel
06-27-2014, 07:02 AM
They'll be so good. Although if I was a 76er I don't know if I could stand years of ineptitude.

WeGetRing2012
06-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Let me point you in the direction of the Minnesota Timberwolves...

rhowen4
06-27-2014, 07:26 AM
yeah they'll be must see tv soon

Done_And_Done
06-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Let me point you in the direction of the Minnesota Timberwolves...

5 years is never enough for Minny lol

Real Men Wear Green
06-27-2014, 07:31 AM
They won't be able to keep everyone in five years if everyone pans out. Should be interesting in two or three though.

All Net
06-27-2014, 07:33 AM
If they stay healthy.

bagelred
06-27-2014, 07:43 AM
5 years of guaranteed shit, for a possible pretty good future. And they're praised for it...Modern NBA, ladies and gents.

coin24
06-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Bad idea. They're pretty much just promoting a losing culture, it won't just turn around. As above, look at minny.. Players will leave etc they won't just all peak in 5 years when they finish tanking

Should have drafted someone to actually play with there 2nd pick, not that euro scrub. I like the Embiid pick, is he really out all season though????

SuperCereal
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Bad idea. They're pretty much just promoting a losing culture, it won't just turn around. As above, look at minny.. Players will leave etc they won't just all peak in 5 years when they finish tanking

Should have drafted someone to actually play with there 2nd pick, not that euro scrub. I like the Embiid pick, is he really out all season though????
Euro scrub:facepalm

2010 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: All-Tournament Team, MVP
Citt

Jailblazers7
06-27-2014, 08:35 AM

I have to admit that I really do worry about the losing culture thing. MCW was already developing some bad habits at the end of last season and I really hope that doesn't continue. It is one reason I was kind of hoping we would land Jabari just because the kid is a natural leader/winner.

west_tip
06-27-2014, 08:48 AM
People act like you can just change from a losing culture to a winning culture like its as straightforward as changing a lightbulb. Winning is a product of having a certain mindset and establishing habits over months and years, when your goal is to lose as many games as possible that mentality is infectious.

The team that just raped Miami in the Finals last had a lottery pick when?

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 09:07 AM
People act like you can just change from a losing culture to a winning culture like its as straightforward as changing a lightbulb. Winning is a product of having a certain mindset and establishing habits over months and years, when your goal is to lose as many games as possible that mentality is infectious.

That's just it, they are changing the culture. They are in the middle of a complete rebuild and are looking towards the future and trying to be competitive for years to come. You're totally missing the point. Please tell me what their other options were and how much better they would be next year or the year after had they chosen those options. What they did do was in consecutive years, draft the players who were regarded as the number one picks before injury, the rookie of the year and the best European prospect. Whether Saric plays here for a year or overseas for a year or two what's the difference? They won't have to pay him so his contract doesn't start this year which essentially means they get a year or two of development for free and they got their first round pick back and a second round pick. I'm thrilled with this draft.

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 09:17 AM
That's just it, they are changing the culture. They are in the middle of a complete rebuild and are looking towards the future and trying to be competitive for years to come.

if it ain't the players, it's the coach, if it ain't the coach, it's the staff.

if it ain't the staff, it's the owner.

Lets stop talking about players, and maybe we can talk about the coach.

But I don't follow the 76ers to tell you anything about their staff.
Answer this though, are they in the middle of a complete rebuild of their STAFF?!?!?!

if not, you are more than welcome to tell the players they got losers "genes"

west_tip
06-27-2014, 09:23 AM
That's just it, they are changing the culture. They are in the middle of a complete rebuild and are looking towards the future and trying to be competitive for years to come. You're totally missing the point. Please tell me what their other options were and how much better they would be next year or the year after had they chosen those options. What they did do was in consecutive years, draft the players who were regarded as the number one picks before injury, the rookie of the year and the best European prospect. Whether Saric plays here for a year or overseas for a year or two what's the difference? They won't have to pay him so his contract doesn't start this year which essentially means they get a year or two of development for free and they got their first round pick back and a second round pick. I'm thrilled with this draft.

The problem is you're mortgaging your whole future on a couple of kids who weren't able to stay healthy for ONE season of college ball, nevermind an 82 game season. There's a reason why those kids fell and there is a significant risk in taking them.

Anyway, the problem with the draft was that the Sixers took no-one who will make an impact for the club next season so guys like MCW and Noel are being nurtured in an environment where losing is commonplace and is actually seen as desirable. The effect will be cancerous.

coin24
06-27-2014, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=SuperCereal]Euro scrub:facepalm

2010 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: All-Tournament Team, MVP
Citt

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 09:32 AM
if it ain't the players, it's the coach, if it ain't the coach, it's the staff.

if it ain't the staff, it's the owner.

Lets stop talking about players, and maybe we can talk about the coach.

But I don't follow the 76ers to tell you anything about their staff.
Answer this though, are they in the middle of a complete rebuild of their STAFF?!?!?!

if not, you are more than welcome to tell the players they got losers "genes"
Ok here's the deal. Their coach is a long time assistant of Pops. Before he was hired, he was told that they were looking to build a winner through the draft and was asked if he could stomach stinking while they did that. The players also know that this a long term thing. He's actually regarded as a great hire and as being great for player development.

coin24
06-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Ok here's the deal. Their coach is a long time assistant of Pops. Before he was hired, he was told that they were looking to build a winner through the draft and was asked if he could stomach stinking while they did that. The players also know that this a long term thing. He's actually regarded as a great hire and as being great for player development.

Then that's a major problem. The players are supposed to be out there trying to win. The tank is commanded by management/coach..

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 09:41 AM
The problem is you're mortgaging your whole future on a couple of kids who weren't able to stay healthy for ONE season of college ball, nevermind an 82 game season. There's a reason why those kids fell and there is a significant risk in taking them.

Anyway, the problem with the draft was that the Sixers took no-one who will make an impact for the club next season so guys like MCW and Noel are being nurtured in an environment where losing is commonplace and is actually seen as desirable. The effect will be cancerous.
First of all, Noel's injury was a freak accident and they rehabbed him slowly and he's added muscle and worked on his game for the last year. The people who have been drafted know what they're doing and they are on board with it or they wouldn't take them. This coming year will be the last year that they suck. They were going to suck this year wether they picked Embiid or Wiggins or whoever. The amount by which they suck isn't important. In two years they'll probably be an 8 seed in the shitty east. The only way to be good in the long term is to build this way. The team is young so getting some free agent isn't going to make them better tomorrow. They will suck next year and that's it. That was already going to happen. Yes Embiid is a high risk pick but his reward was the highest in the draft. You have to have balls and take a potential game changer there and not Aaron Gordon. The gap in talent level between the first three pics and the rest of the draft was so great that it wasn't even funny.

SuperCereal
06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
That means shit to me sorry..
Deron Williams destroyed that league, as did Anthony Parker etc..

Rubio was supposed to be a superstar also, how'd that work out so far?
Right. What about Manu, Nowitzki, Gasol,T.Parker?

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Then that's a major problem. The players are supposed to be out there trying to win. The tank is commanded by management/coach..
They are trying to win they just don't have the talent because they won't commit to any contracts in order to maintain flexibility in the future while they build through the draft. What's so hard to understand here? Man the Knicks really have a great winning culture look at all the money they spent. Man they are great. Or the Nets. Wow, all that money in win now mode is gonna get them nothing and they have no draft picks much like the Knicks. That's great. Or the lakers. Give Kobe a gigantic contract that messes up their cap. Wow it's great that signing Nick fvcking Young after he opts out is big news in LA.

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 09:48 AM

How did you get hired?

"had a stomach that could deal with stinking motha ****as"

And the players?

"I got a stomach that can deal with stinking motha ****as"

What about the future and game plans?

"I got a stomach that can deal with stinking motha ****as"

well, I think the interview as for the 76ers culture went great guys.

That wasn't on camera was it?

west_tip
06-27-2014, 09:55 AM
First of all, Noel's injury was a freak accident and they rehabbed him slowly and he's added muscle and worked on his game for the last year. The people who have been drafted know what they're doing and they are on board with it or they wouldn't take them. This coming year will be the last year that they suck. They were going to suck this year wether they picked Embiid or Wiggins or whoever. The amount by which they suck isn't important. In two years they'll probably be an 8 seed in the shitty east. The only way to be good in the long term is to build this way. The team is young so getting some free agent isn't going to make them better tomorrow. They will suck next year and that's it. That was already going to happen. Yes Embiid is a high risk pick but his reward was the highest in the draft. You have to have balls and take a potential game changer there and not Aaron Gordon. The gap in talent level between the first three pics and the rest of the draft was so great that it wasn't even funny.

Meh. For this strategy to pan out a lot of gambles have to come to fruition. I'm betting against it ever happening.

coin24
06-27-2014, 10:11 AM
They are trying to win they just don't have the talent because they won't commit to any contracts in order to maintain flexibility in the future while they build through the draft. What's so hard to understand here? Man the Knicks really have a great winning culture look at all the money they spent. Man they are great. Or the Nets. Wow, all that money in win now mode is gonna get them nothing and they have no draft picks much like the Knicks. That's great. Or the lakers. Give Kobe a gigantic contract that messes up their cap. Wow it's great that signing Nick fvcking Young after he opts out is big news in LA.

The hard part to understand is a long term tank paying off.

See wolves, cavs to an extent, kings etc..
It's hard to break that losing culture, especially with so many young guys on the team..
I wish the 76ers the best of luck though, hopefully Embiid works out, I thought he was originally out 4 months? Why whole season now???
I just would have drafted someone that could play now with there second pick, along with MCW and a fresh noel. Add a couple more pieces through FA and be competitive.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Do people actually think that any of these 19 year olds are going to make a significant difference for these teams?

Do people think that TODAY Andrew Wiggins is an improvement over CJ Miles?

Everything is about finding and developing young talent. Noel weighed in at 206 at the combine last year. Do you seriously think its the end of the world that he spent a year developing his body instead of getting physically destroyed in the league?

Teams choose a window and draft and develop players to peak at that window.

THIS is how you rebuild. Its perfect. Does that mean they will be good this year? Hell no. Definitively the worst team in the league. Then they will add Okafor/Mudiay/etc.

They traded Jrue for Noel, Saric, a 1st and a 2nd. Does that make them better today? Of course not. Is there a GM in the league that wouldn't have killed to make a trade like that? NO.

west_tip
06-27-2014, 10:18 AM

It's hard to break that losing culture, especially with so many young guys on the team..
I wish the 76ers the best of luck though, hopefully Embiid works out, I thought he was originally out 4 months? Why whole season now???
I just would have drafted someone that could play now with there second pick, along with MCW and a fresh noel. Add a couple more pieces through FA and be competitive.

I'm guessing because there's no point in bringing him back midseason if they are trying to tank again.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 10:23 AM

People have no handle on what "tanking is". No player on that floor is trying to lose. The coach is paid to develop young talent rather than win a random game on a Tuesday night. Pieces that might make the team better short term are moved to develop young talent that will peak in their window.

The team grows together. These are ALL really good guys.

They aren't losing because they are trying to. They are losing because they are a bunch of kids that aren't ready to compete against the grown men they are facing. But as they grow together they will more than hold their own.

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 10:25 AM

The difference is that they had awful front offices and coaches. Hinkie and Brown are regarded highly around the league. This isn't some thrown together on the fly bullshit, this is a plan that they've devised and are executing it. If you don't think Hinkie trading Jrue for Noel and a pick and drafting MCW was smart then that's your problem. This isn't Kahn drafting Rubio and Flynn or Grant drafting Bennett and Thompson and Waiters.

ZHAKIDD532
06-27-2014, 10:25 AM
The Sixers are apparently about taking under valued asset. Embiid should've been #1, they get him at #3 because of an injury. Same exact thing with Noel last year, except they got him at #6. They're just accumulating assets. That's going to be their long term plan and they want to operate that way now.

west_tip
06-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Do people actually think that any of these 19 year olds are going to make a significant difference for these teams?

That, right there is the whole point. No-one has the first idea how any of these kids will pan out, one injury affected season of college ball is a pretty small sample size to make a determination that these players will turn a mediocre/losing team into a juggernaut especially when you consider the effect of tanking on the psyche. Presumably posters on here are smart enough to understand that building a winner entails more than just stockpiling lottery picks??????

STATUTORY
06-27-2014, 10:30 AM
:roll: they will still be int he lottery, delusional fans

west_tip
06-27-2014, 10:31 AM
The Sixers are apparently about taking under valued asset. Embiid should've been #1, they get him at #3 because of an injury. Same exact thing with Noel last year, except they got him at #6. They're just accumulating assets. That's going to be their long term plan and they want to operate that way now.

Weren't they trying to trade up to get Wiggins?

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Teams choose a window and draft and develop players to peak at that window.

THIS is how you rebuild. Its perfect. Does that mean they will be good this year? Hell no. Definitively the worst team in the league. Then they will add Okafor/Mudiay/etc.

They traded Jrue for Noel, Saric, a 1st and a 2nd. Does that make them better today? Of course not. Is there a GM in the league that wouldn't have killed to make a trade like that? NO.

so you know, college recruiting tactics doesn't really work in the professional.

just because some player decides to declare pro, it is not similar to trading them for future picks

why you ask?

BECAUSE YOU SENT THE BEST PLAYER TODAY TO YOUR COMPETITON ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN LOGIC

you're welcome for the all caps.

very welcome.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 10:44 AM
so you know, college recruiting tactics doesn't really work in the professional.

just because some player decides to declare pro, it is not similar to trading them for future picks

why you ask?

BECAUSE YOU SENT THE BEST PLAYER TODAY TO YOUR COMPETITON ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN LOGIC

you're welcome for the all caps.

very welcome.

WAT?

Chad Ford leaked Philly's pick at #10 as Saric. Everyone spends a half hour laughing at Ford. Then trade is announced and Hinkie was able to leverage Orl into giving them a 1 and a 2 and they get their guy anyways.

When you are dealing with EV (expected value) 5 years down the road their is rightfully disagreement on what that investment is going to be worth. But Hinkie is able to pick up little pieces all over the place. They drafted 3 foreign players in the draft last night. So not only do they have youth developing on their roster but they literally have it developing for them all over the world.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 10:48 AM
That, right there is the whole point. No-one has the first idea how any of these kids will pan out, one injury affected season of college ball is a pretty small sample size to make a determination that these players will turn a mediocre/losing team into a juggernaut especially when you consider the effect of tanking on the psyche. Presumably posters on here are smart enough to understand that building a winner entails more than just stockpiling lottery picks??????

Basketball is unique. You can go to an AAU tournament and within an hour know who the best players are there.

One way to get better is to sign massive FAs. That just doesn't work for most teams. And even the ones it does work for are largely chosen because they were able to bring people in because of the talent they already had on their team. A great way to get better is to bottom out and accumulate a ton of talent. And Hinkie has been doing that IN SPADES. In 2-3 years he will know which of these guys he wants to keep in the program and add significant FA talent to fill any holes they have. For now, develop develop develop.

ZHAKIDD532
06-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Weren't they trying to trade up to get Wiggins?
Read last night that was bull. Probably Cleveland put it out to drive up the price.

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 11:06 AM
WAT?

Chad Ford leaked Philly's pick at #10 as Saric. Everyone spends a half hour laughing at Ford. Then trade is announced and Hinkie was able to leverage Orl into giving them a 1 and a 2 and they get their guy anyways.

When you are dealing with EV (expected value) 5 years down the road their is rightfully disagreement on what that investment is going to be worth. But Hinkie is able to pick up little pieces all over the place. They drafted 3 foreign players in the draft last night. So not only do they have youth developing on their roster but they literally have it developing for them all over the world.

if a player wants to learn or a coach wants to teach how to shoot, how to collect a rebound, how to pass a basketball. what does that have anything to do with coming in at the expense of a loss?

DMAVS41
06-27-2014, 11:12 AM
if a player wants to learn or a coach wants to teach how to shoot, how to collect a rebound, how to pass a basketball. what does that have anything to do with coming in at the expense of a loss?

Why rush the process?

It comes at the expense of winning/losing because those players couldn't be on the floor of a winning team.

Would you really rather be the Pelicans right now than the Sixers (ignoring the Davis thing as obviously he's a complete stud)... a team in the Pelicans that went all in for like the next 3 years and last year with Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Anderson...and now Asik?????

A team that has a ceiling of a round 1 exit in the playoffs this coming season? A team that by the time the conference gets easier and they are ready to contend...all the players on the roster outside of Davis and probably Asik will likely be gone?

What is the point of that? The Pelicans lost the 6th pick and the 10th pick in back to back drafts for ****ing Jrue Holiday and might not winning a playoff series his entire contract length. You really think that is worth it?

You'd really rather have that than a team that grows together and moves forward with a core that will be there for 12 plus years?

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Why rush the process?

It comes at the expense of winning/losing because those players couldn't be on the floor of a winning team.

Would you really rather be the Pelicans right now than the Sixers (ignoring the Davis thing as obviously he's a complete stud)... a team in the Pelicans that went all in for like the next 3 years and last year with Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Anderson...and now Asik?????

A team that has a ceiling of a round 1 exit in the playoffs this coming season? A team that by the time the conference gets easier and they are ready to contend...all the players on the roster outside of Davis and probably Asik will likely be gone?

What is the point of that? The Pelicans lost the 6th pick and the 10th pick in back to back drafts for ****ing Jrue Holiday and might not winning a playoff series his entire contract length. You really think that is worth it?

You'd really rather have that than a team that grows together and moves forward with a core that will be there for 12 plus years?
At least someone here gets it.

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Why rush the process?

You have cancer, or some sort of severe illness

whether it is treatable or not, I do not know

DMAVS41 poster name has been noted.

VengefulAngel
06-27-2014, 11:18 AM
At least someone here gets it.

Did you read the first post? :lol

west_tip
06-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Read last night that was bull. Probably Cleveland put it out to drive up the price.

Ah, ok.

Basketball is unique. You can go to an AAU tournament and within an hour know who the best players are there.

One way to get better is to sign massive FAs. That just doesn't work for most teams. And even the ones it does work for are largely chosen because they were able to bring people in because of the talent they already had on their team. A great way to get better is to bottom out and accumulate a ton of talent. And Hinkie has been doing that IN SPADES. In 2-3 years he will know which of these guys he wants to keep in the program and add significant FA talent to fill any holes they have. For now, develop develop develop.

Hurricane Kid, all I can say is I hope the Sixers high risk, high reward long term strategy bears fruit, I really do. At the very least they appear to have a coherent and clear plan for turning the franchise around.

I just wish that entire seasons of futility did not have to be endured in the interim.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Ah, ok.

Hurricane Kid, all I can say is I hope the Sixers high risk, high reward long term strategy bears fruit, I really do. At the very least they appear to have a coherent and clear plan for turning the franchise around.

I just wish that entire seasons of futility did not have to be endured in the interim.

I have no dog in the fight. I am a Bucks fan. It makes no difference to me if Philly is good. Probably better for me if they aren't. But watching your team fight and claw for years hoping to catch the 8 seed and get humiliated in the first round is far worse. You get to experience the joy of building from the bottom up. I think my team has finally gotten new ownership that gets it. But we are still miles from implementing it as efficiently as Hinkie has.

Yeah, watching your team is going to be rough this year. Probably a year or two past that as well. But getting attached to the young guys and watch them grow together will be a rewarding venture.

longtime lurker
06-27-2014, 03:48 PM
If you want to see where the Sixers will be in 5 years all you have to do is rewatch last night's draft

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Ah, ok.

But that's how you really rebuild. It sucks and you have to stomach it but what's the alternative? The Sixers being the 8 seed w Iggy? Or Signing some free agent this year and just missing the playoffs or being the 8th seed with some shitty second tier free agent? I'm 42 and I can say that I'm sick of that. That's worse suffering than having to last a few years for a full on long term rebuild. There's nothing worse than being stuck in perpetual mediocrity. They have a plan and they are sticking to it. This will set up the team to be competitive for 5-10 years. I'm happy with that and understand it completely.

DMAVS41
06-27-2014, 04:29 PM
I have no dog in the fight. I am a Bucks fan. It makes no difference to me if Philly is good. Probably better for me if they aren't. But watching your team fight and claw for years hoping to catch the 8 seed and get humiliated in the first round is far worse. You get to experience the joy of building from the bottom up. I think my team has finally gotten new ownership that gets it. But we are still miles from implementing it as efficiently as Hinkie has.

Yeah, watching your team is going to be rough this year. Probably a year or two past that as well. But getting attached to the young guys and watch them grow together will be a rewarding venture.

Are the Bucks trying to move Sanders?

R.I.P.
06-27-2014, 04:33 PM
They'll be so good. Although if I was a 76er I don't know if I could stand years of ineptitude.

I hope they suck ass for the next 20 years. Their approach to basketball, any sport really, is disgusting. They are a joke, just like Orlando. :rolleyes:

Utah goes in for Exum and Hood, and will try to win basketball games again. All Philly thought about is how they can stink again next year by drafting injured or Euro players.

Johnny Jones
06-27-2014, 04:37 PM
I don't like how they're rebuilding, but they will be pretty good in 2-3 years.

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 04:53 PM
I hope they suck ass for the next 20 years. Their approach to basketball, any sport really, is disgusting. They are a joke, just like Orlando. :rolleyes:

Utah goes in for Exum and Hood, and will try to win basketball games again. All Philly thought about is how they can stink again next year by drafting injured or Euro players.
Have fun "winning" with Exum!

nzahir
06-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Right now:
Noel, Mcw, Embiid(injured for 5-8 months), saric(in 2 years), thadeus(may go for another pick who knows or stay), kj

They got an extra pick or 2 for saric and they will suck again so they may have the first pick next year.

They need a sg and probably a sf b/c idk if mcdaniels is good enough. They can play 2 bigs at a time if they want since noel is thin and mix it in with saric.

GOBB
06-27-2014, 05:15 PM

Lets revisit the Spurs when Duncan retires. Kind of easy to ride Duncan for well over a decade.

GOBB
06-27-2014, 05:20 PM
But that's how you really rebuild. It sucks and you have to stomach it but what's the alternative? The Sixers being the 8 seed w Iggy? Or Signing some free agent this year and just missing the playoffs or being the 8th seed with some shitty second tier free agent? I'm 42 and I can say that I'm sick of that. That's worse suffering than having to last a few years for a full on long term rebuild. There's nothing worse than being stuck in perpetual mediocrity. They have a plan and they are sticking to it. This will set up the team to be competitive for 5-10 years. I'm happy with that and understand it completely.

Exactly. And for myself if this rebuilding plan turns out to be a disaster? We find the team stuck in say mediocrity as before? I'm fine with that outcome. Granted it would suck but I'm not going to be totally upset and angry. So I'm welcoming the attempt where we start from scratch and hope it works. I'm done with being stuck in the middle of the pack. I've experienced dog years (as have you) so I'm fully prepared to see how this goes! :pimp:

By time this pans out I'll be your age and well you'll be...half a century :lol

yeaaaman
06-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Lets revisit the Spurs when Duncan retires. Kind of easy to ride Duncan for well over a decade.

Of course it is but we can't act like that's ALL they did.

GOBB
06-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Of course it is but we can't act like that's ALL they did.

You cant point to the damn Spurs as a team that didnt have a lottery pick. They had Tim Duncan. A prospect that was a major impact for a franchise. Not many of those picks happen. Shaq, Bron off the top of my head as far as recent memory. You can ride the f*ck out of Duncan and draft late first for over a damn decade. Oh wait they did that. :eek:

Easy to rebuild around a top 10 player of all time/certified no debate. What were you saying again? :confusedshrug:

chocolatethunder
06-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Exactly. And for myself if this rebuilding plan turns out to be a disaster? We find the team stuck in say mediocrity as before? I'm fine with that outcome. Granted it would suck but I'm not going to be totally upset and angry. So I'm welcoming the attempt where we start from scratch and hope it works. I'm done with being stuck in the middle of the pack. I've experienced dog years (as have you) so I'm fully prepared to see how this goes! :pimp:

By time this pans out I'll be your age and well you'll be...half a century :lol

It's worth sucking this bad for a chance to be really good rather than staying mediocre indefinitely.

artificial
06-27-2014, 10:28 PM
I like the current model of rebuilding, the way it worked out for teams like Chicago or OKC. Of course, there have been unsuccessful cases such as Charlotte or Orlando.

But overall, I believe it goes:
1. Tanking for a couple of years to get a bunch of prospects while getting cap space.
2. Hope that at least two of those prospects pan out into stars over a 2-3 year span, to create a core of the team.
3. Once you have a core of 2 or more young, upcoming players, start surrounding them with solid talent using cap space and trading part of the remaining young talent.
*Too many good young players are eventually un-affordable, but still make great trade assets.
4. If it's working up to this point, the stars were all aligned. God bless.

You don't expect to hold on to all the talent acquired in tanking phase, but you do make sure that the 2-3 best assets acquired stay by giving them money, and more importantly incentivizing them by surrounding them with solid MLE class players.

Let's say only one out of Noel and Embiid pan out. That's still 2 solid players (along with MCW) to build around. If all 3 of them bloom, I can see Philly eventually giving up on one of them. Add to that whoever we get in the 2015 draft, and I do think Philly has a decent chance to develop a strong core. Once that happens, Hinkie has shown that he likes trades, so it's up to him to switch modes and start surrounding the core with solid players.

Not even sure that is what Hinkie wants to do, but it makes sense to me.

stalkerforlife
06-27-2014, 10:36 PM
5 year tank plan.

:roll:

ralph_i_el
06-27-2014, 10:42 PM
That means shit to me sorry..
Deron Williams destroyed that league, as did Anthony Parker etc..

Rubio was supposed to be a superstar also, how'd that work out so far?

but he's doing this as a kid basically. Saric is a real deal prospect. Looks like a Lamar Odom to me.

west_tip
04-09-2016, 04:56 PM

BUMP.

Thread makes for interesting reading in light of Hinkie's firing. I stand by what I have said all along, you cannot nurture talent and a winning culture in a losing environment.

VengefulAngel
04-09-2016, 05:03 PM
BUMP.

Thread makes for interesting reading in light of Hinkie's firing. I stand by what I have said all along, you cannot nurture talent and a winning culture in a losing environment.

We'll see in 2 years I still have hope. Although yep the plan just hasn't worked and sometimes you see all these draft picks but they don't result in anything.

Vancouver-Grizz
04-09-2016, 05:10 PM
BUMP.

What do you guys do?? Bookmark a page and literally wait years when the topic is relevant again and say UH HA....Gotcha!!!!!!

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

AirBonner
04-09-2016, 05:28 PM
We'll see in 2 years I still have hope. Although yep the plan just hasn't worked and sometimes you see all these draft picks but they don't result in anything.
That's the thing with this approach to rebuilding is that people will always keep saying We'll see in 2 years even though it has been nearly 10

VengefulAngel
04-09-2016, 05:29 PM
That's the thing with this approach to rebuilding is that people will always keep saying We'll see in 2 years even though it has been nearly 10

I made this thread in 2014 though so that's legitimate as I've previously given the timeframe it's not like i'm backtracking now.

SwishSquared
04-09-2016, 07:11 PM
That's the thing with this approach to rebuilding is that people will always keep saying We'll see in 2 years even though it has been nearly 10They just started this rebuild in 2013. They were mediocre before that for a really long time, and in 2012 iirc made the disastrous Bynum deal. So their rebuild is almost 3 years in.