PDA

View Full Version : Does Irving's game really fit into a euro style offense?

Purch
06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Honestly, Kyrie's game doesn't seem like a great fit for the ball movement kind of system Blatt's known for creating

Inactive
06-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Irving's game doesn't fit into any system at this point. He has the skills to adapt, he just has to be willing to do it.

Rubio2Gasol
06-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes, he can do everything neccessary.

You just need to convince him to play the system.

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 10:18 AM
and what planet does his defense fits into?

Meticode
06-27-2014, 10:19 AM
The thread and question is pointless considering Blatt said he will play whatever style of offense he feels this team will benefit from the most. Doesn't mean it's going to be a European style.

Purch
06-27-2014, 10:24 AM
The thread and question is pointless considering Blatt said he will play whatever style of offense he feels this team will benefit from the most. Doesn't mean it's going to be a European style.
Look at Blatt's coaching influences, all the way back to when he was influenced by the Princeton. Regardless of weather it's a euro influenced offense or not, it's going to be an offense based on quick ball movement and quick decisions. If you're that kind of coach, it's in your DNA.

The only coach I've seen in nba history completly alter his style and dna when he changed teams was Pat Riley.

Fiba basketball
06-27-2014, 10:58 AM
What is European style offense ??

In Europe you have so many different teams and way they play. Some play run and gun, some like playing very slow and just passing it in the low post on every possesion, etc.

If you are asking about Maccabi ( Blatts former team ) offense than yes Irvings game could fit very well. He is perfect for role players like Pargo, Hickman and Rice had in Maccabi.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 11:06 AM

Blatt is gonna HATE Kyrie.

FatComputerNerd
06-27-2014, 11:09 AM

People are too hard on him in regards to his D. It's not like he's getting scorched by everyone he guards, and I've seen his D consistently improve.

ZenMaster
06-27-2014, 11:27 AM

In Europe you have so many different teams and way they play. Some play run and gun, some like playing very slow and just passing it in the low post on every possesion, etc.

If you are asking about Maccabi ( Blatts former team ) offense than yes Irvings game could fit very well. He is perfect for role players like Pargo, Hickman and Rice had in Maccabi.

To Americans a European style offense is one that's predicated on fast passing and movement often with a lot of pickn'roll.

It's a broad definition but it really does say a lot on how NBA and college basketball has been played for a long time now.

navy
06-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Honestly, Kyrie's game doesn't seem like a great fit for the ball movement kind of system Blatt's known for creating
Implying Kyrie is incapable of passing the ball? :facepalm

Dude played for the Cavs. Not exactly a high offensive or multi talented team....

GimmeThat
06-27-2014, 11:36 AM
To Americans a European style offense is one that's predicated on fast passing and movement often with a lot of pickn'roll.

It's a broad definition but it really does say a lot on how NBA and college basketball has been played for a long time now.

I think some has to do with the involvement of the ability to play above the rim.

ZenMaster
06-27-2014, 11:45 AM
I think some has to do with the involvement of the ability to play above the rim.

There's a lot more to it.

"Ok guys you can jump high so we don't need to play good basketball"

Is backwards logic.

El Gato Negro
06-27-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3bJB9JcTo#t=285

Purch
06-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Implying Kyrie is incapable of passing the ball? :facepalm

Dude played for the Cavs. Not exactly a high offensive or multi talented team....
There's a difference between being a ball dominant playmaker and passing the ball within a system.

Euroleague
06-27-2014, 12:19 PM

According to NBA only fans, EVERY team in Europe just walks the ball up the court, stands at the 3 point line, passes the ball until 1 second on the shot clock, and then shoots it.

These morons never stop with their endless bullshit.

Did you watch the NBA draft last night?

The ESPN "international basketball guru and expert" Fran Fraschilla CONTINUED even this year, to say,

"The Spanish League is better than the Euroleague".....

The Euroleague is equal to minor league basketball, like AAA minor leagues of baseball in USA, as compared to the NBA."

"Bruno Caboclo is 4 years away from being able to make an NBA roster" - he played against Olympiacos at the FIBA Club World Cup and I say he could EASILY make an NBA roster right now.

"Saric is playing in Turkey now in a bigger club, so that should help now to develop his game in the next couple of years, since he's now playing at the highest level of minor league basketball".

He made several more such ridiculous comments like that about international basketball and players, and they refer to him as "the top international basketball expert in the world".

These idiot NBA only fans are getting their "information" from clowns like that "expert".

Yes, these NBA only fans actually think that there is only one style of basketball played in Europe, and that every single team and every single coach plays exactly the same way.

FatComputerNerd
06-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Kyrie is a very capable passer and playmaker.

Hopefully now that he has more help he will become a more WILLING passer and playmaker.

I expect his assist #'s to go up this year, since we won't need to rely on him every game to be our #1 scorer.

I still want to see him take over in the 4th like he used to though, when needed. It's so exciting to watch him in that mode.

Euroleague
06-27-2014, 12:28 PM

But it just shows that Americans again don't know anything about European basketball. Lots of teams in Europe play without much passing in their offense and lots of them don't use much pick and roll.

Olympiacos for example was winning Euroleague championships without hardly even using pick and roll at all. With Bartzokas in the second championship they had more passing, but with the first championship under Ivkovic, they didn't have much passing at all.

And they were winning Euroleague championships.

Maccabi won back to back Euroleague championships in mid 2000s with a run and gun fast break open court, up and down D'Antoni-Nash style offense.

Then this season Maccabi won the Euroleague with an offense that is very typical and classic American old school basketball. It's even called outdated or archaic basketball by a lot of people.

Just basically dump the ball into an unstoppable center (Sofo) every time, he draws a double or triple team, gets fouled, or scores, or kicks the ball out, have quick perimeter players go one on one and look to get dribble penetration, run to get an advantage looking to get easy baskets and take pull up jumpers, and throw in some NBA style high pick and roll and screens using that beast body of Sofos.

It's old school classic American basketball, without a single thing "European style" at all. It's something you would have seen in early or mid 90s NBA.

So it just shows how much bullshit NBA only fans endlessly talk about European basketball - always, always, always the experts on something none of them have ever in their entire lives even seen.

Euroleague
06-27-2014, 12:30 PM

When NBA teams play against Euroleague teams, the Euroleague teams have just as many above the rim plays as the NBA teams do.

That's complete bullshit.

Euroleague
06-27-2014, 12:32 PM

:lol :oldlol: :roll:

ISH, where using a FIRED high school basketball coach as a source happens all the time.

That's the same guy that claimed the best teams in the Euroleague could not even beat an average mid major NCAA team.

FatComputerNerd
06-27-2014, 12:33 PM
EuroLeague, do you think Blatt has a chance for success with the Cavaliers?

How would you rate him as a coach overall?

You obviously know much more about EL than most of us on here...I personally had never even heard of Blatt prior to us signing him on, and I don't think I've ever watched any Euro B-ball, other than the Olympics.

FatComputerNerd
06-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Bump!

Would like to hear some feedback on this from EL or other posters who follow Euro-Ball...

Im so nba'd out
06-28-2014, 03:31 PM
:mad:
jesus relax bro.....
To answer OP yes he is so skilled no system can hurt him.

Euroleague
06-28-2014, 04:24 PM
EuroLeague, do you think Blatt has a chance for success with the Cavaliers?

How would you rate him as a coach overall?

You obviously know much more about EL than most of us on here...I personally had never even heard of Blatt prior to us signing him on, and I don't think I've ever watched any Euro B-ball, other than the Olympics.

I would compare him to a coach like Thibodeau. But I would say he's a bit more polished than Thibodeau, a bit better than Thibodeau on offense, at execution, at Xs and Os. A bit more flexible also. Basically, a bit better version of Thibodeau.

So yeah, he should be able to do fine in the NBA, where in all honesty, the level of the coaching is a lot lower than it is in the Euroleague.

BrownEye007
06-28-2014, 04:47 PM
I would compare him to a coach like Thibodeau. But I would say he's a bit more polished than Thibodeau, a bit better than Thibodeau on offense, at execution, at Xs and Os. A bit more flexible also. Basically, a bit better version of Thibodeau.

So yeah, he should be able to do fine in the NBA, where in all honesty, the level of the coaching is a lot lower than it is in the Euroleague.
:lol Oh Euroleague reading your posts just always brightens up my days.

fpliii
06-28-2014, 04:53 PM

What are his defensive schemes like? Are they going to be limited on that end by the differences in rules (I think you'd said that EL allows true zone defenses with no 3 seconds, and has different goaltending guidelines, apologies if I'm incorrect)?

1~Gibson~1
06-28-2014, 05:05 PM
I think Kyrie is a good fit for any offense. His problem is defense. And the sad part is that (f*** what anyone else says) you cant really teach defense. Most of the time defense is a game of reversed reverse psychology. Some players are good at tipping pitches (or cross overs, some arent).

Oly BC
06-29-2014, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE]Tony Kwok2 days ago

These sets look almost like a page from the Spurs offense playbook. Does the Cavs really have the personnel, b-ball IQ, and culture (you know how Irving and Waiters don't get along very well) to execute them?

ILLsmak
06-29-2014, 08:24 AM
According to NBA only fans, EVERY team in Europe just walks the ball up the court, stands at the 3 point line, passes the ball until 1 second on the shot clock, and then shoots it.

These morons never stop with their endless bullshit.

Did you watch the NBA draft last night?

The ESPN "international basketball guru and expert" Fran Fraschilla CONTINUED even this year, to say,

"The Spanish League is better than the Euroleague".....

The Euroleague is equal to minor league basketball, like AAA minor leagues of baseball in USA, as compared to the NBA."

"Bruno Caboclo is 4 years away from being able to make an NBA roster" - he played against Olympiacos at the FIBA Club World Cup and I say he could EASILY make an NBA roster right now.

"Saric is playing in Turkey now in a bigger club, so that should help now to develop his game in the next couple of years, since he's now playing at the highest level of minor league basketball".

He made several more such ridiculous comments like that about international basketball and players, and they refer to him as "the top international basketball expert in the world".

These idiot NBA only fans are getting their "information" from clowns like that "expert".

Yes, these NBA only fans actually think that there is only one style of basketball played in Europe, and that every single team and every single coach plays exactly the same way.

Man, I've read that shit on here thousands of times. THOUSANDS.

-Smak

DukeDelonte13
06-29-2014, 09:45 AM
as medicode said, blatt has stated he's developing an offense to fit the players we have.

pezt
06-29-2014, 11:02 AM

He played 1 Minutes total in 2 games, wtf you talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_FIBA_Intercontinental_Cup

Rooster
06-29-2014, 11:10 AM

This is it. Even Anthony Parker was known as Israeli Jordan over there and they called Farmar Michael Jordan Farmar. I remember when Tyus Edney got filtered out by NBA and he dusted off all those Slow ass molasses unathletic Euros to became Euroleague Final Four MVP and supposedly a superstar. I dunno if Blatt can implement his ways with the real pros in the highest level but he has enough talent to run it.

Oly BC
06-29-2014, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE]Tony Kwok2 days ago

These sets look almost like a page from the Spurs offense playbook. Does the Cavs really have the personnel, b-ball IQ, and culture (you know how Irving and Waiters don't get along very well) to execute them?