PDA

View Full Version : would you ever ask your boss to lower your salary just so he can hire someone else to

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:16 AM
help you cause you are incompetent

if you answered yes, would you ever ask another man to please your wife cause you are not man enough to do it solo?

trying to put the Lebron taking paycut scenario in perspective

nzahir
06-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Lol...this is a team thing you idiot; when I go to work I could care less about anyone else

kennethgriffin
06-28-2014, 01:20 AM
i was gonna say "i would if i was a b*tch"

but women already make less than me

el gringos
06-28-2014, 01:21 AM
I'm with you almost completely, but unless you live in the real world and have to provide for yourself and family you won't get it. And that prob most of this board- so you can't make people understand it.

I do however know that quality of life can be a factor in working and sometimes you will work for a company that pays less even though you could go get more in a different situation.

BigBoss
06-28-2014, 01:21 AM

if you answered yes, would you ever ask another man to please your wife cause you are not man enough to do it solo?

Well I don't get endorsements deal to off-set my salary if my manager lowered my salary and got me help.

Endorsement deals coming from winning. Ask MJ and Godbe.

GimmeThat
06-28-2014, 01:22 AM

well, would you rather be let go, or take a pay cut?

I wouldn't ask another man to please my wife because I'm not man enough to do it. But the possibility that her leaving me would arise in my head.

They didn't invent sex toys just for people that are single.

livinglegend
06-28-2014, 01:24 AM
I wouldnt hire a loser who cant let go things.
It s been 3 years and you are still stuck in that hole. :facepalm

kennethgriffin
06-28-2014, 01:25 AM
honestly.. this whole duncan loyalty thing is overrated.

dudes still a ring chasing pay cut taking cheater

2013 - 9 mill
2014 - 10 mill

?

sh*ts worse than lebron IMO

outbreak
06-28-2014, 01:30 AM

2013 - 9 mill
2014 - 10 mill

?

how much money should an 86 year old basketballer make?

kennethgriffin
06-28-2014, 01:31 AM

wait.. i thought he was the spurs anchor?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

livinglegend
06-28-2014, 01:31 AM

he is not 86 years old! Get your facts straight.
Reported.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:36 AM

2013 - 9 mill
2014 - 10 mill

?

Kobe's entry into the league completely changed its complexion. Other superstars realized the only way they can win in the Kobe ERA is by colluding and banding together

Kobe's singular greatness compelled others to form groups in order to resist.

it's very freudian

Im so nba'd out
06-28-2014, 01:49 AM

send me naked pictures little boy

raprap
06-28-2014, 01:52 AM
If my job was team oriented and my team needs another worker to achieve our goals, why not. At the end its about achieving your goals.

VIntageNOvel
06-28-2014, 01:53 AM

damn man, you need to post more, :applause:
youre like my favorite knicks aside from freshkid

Quickening
06-28-2014, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't hire you because you can't think outside the box... What do you think earns Lebron more money in the two below scenarios.

a) Takes a salary of 20 mill a year, doesn't make finals.
b) Takes a salary of 15 mill a year, wins a championship.

You obviously struggle with the idea of endorsements etc, so I will help, option B will make far more money in the long term.

ArbitraryWater
06-28-2014, 08:56 AM
They're set for life in a team sport where you need to do as much as possible for winning........

horrible "perspective"

BoutPractice
06-28-2014, 09:06 AM
There is no comparability at all between the situation of a superstar NBA athlete and that of an average joe.

GimmeThat
06-28-2014, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't hire you because you can't think outside the box... What do you think earns Lebron more money in the two below scenarios.

You obviously struggle with the idea of endorsements etc, so I will help, option B will make far more money in the long term.

But the fans want to see him carry the heavy load of burden to winning a championship.

How is he going to get endorsements if he isn't taking a scrub team to winning the championship?

what exactly are we witnessing?

sorry if double post...

IGOTGAME
06-28-2014, 09:14 AM
There is no comparability at all between the situation of a superstar NBA athlete and that of an average joe.
then look at CEOs or hedge fund stars or top attorneys and businessmen. These guys are all set but they arent taking less then they are worth to hire someone else. That is never the reason.

Millionaires shouldnt be subsidizing billionaires. If they gotta pay 50 million in luxury tax then that is on them. Cost of doing business.

Shit is silly. People act like these are big amounts of money. It all comes down to your own value judgement but Id never hold it against a player.

ZHAKIDD532
06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
That's a good point. For me, once I'm making a certain amount of money, it kind of hits a diminishing returns to scale. I don't know how my life would be different if I'm making $15M/year or $20M/year.

GatorKid117
06-28-2014, 09:22 AM
I would never ask my boss to lower my salary either. However, I would understand that with my salary being so high, it's going to make it harder for my boss to obtain and keep a quality team around me. I may also have to lower my expectations because my boss will not have as much financial flexibility as my competitors to surround me with talent.

Should one be looked down upon for getting as much money as they can? Of course not, you just have to be realistic about how it will affect your surroundings and then ask yourself if you're cool with that.

ralph_i_el
06-28-2014, 09:43 AM

If you had a stake in the company doing well you might. Partners and part-owners do stuff like that all the time
Lebron benefits for from his team winning than he would milking every dollar out of a max salary. He's also going to be making millions till he dies ex: MJ and Shaq

IGOTGAME
06-28-2014, 10:15 AM
I would never ask my boss to lower my salary either. However, I would understand that with my salary being so high, it's going to make it harder for my boss to obtain and keep a quality team around me. I may also have to lower my expectations because my boss will not have as much financial flexibility as my competitors to surround me with talent.

Should one be looked down upon for getting as much money as they can? Of course not, you just have to be realistic about how it will affect your surroundings and then ask yourself if you're cool with that.

But is not how it works. Your salary is below a whole bunch of things in regard to why you aren't surrounding with better talent.

Nuff Said
06-28-2014, 10:16 AM
It's a stupid analogy. The situations are totally different. Two different goals. One is to accomplish team goals the other is individual. Fym?

GatorKid117
06-28-2014, 10:42 AM
But is not how it works. Your salary is below a whole bunch of things in regard to why you aren't surrounding with better talent.

Its exactly how it works. Your salary is directly impacting how much money your boss has to work with. Is it the only reason? No, but when your salary takes up freaking half of your team's salary cap its going to have an impact.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 11:28 AM

:rolleyes: trying hard to rationalize Bran's beta actions. this isn't about money, it's about principle.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Not at all. I would take making $20 million a year over anything less than that even if it means I HAVE TO PUT MORE EFFORT IN.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-28-2014, 11:38 AM

Learn math kid. $20 million > $15 million.

dannysc305
06-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Depends. Does the job rely on a group of individuals workng together as a team?

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Depends. Does the job rely on a group of individuals workng together as a team?
sacrificing your utility for the group is about as beta as you can get

alpha is getting whats yours and still making sure the group do what you want

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Learn math kid. $20 million > $15 million.
you can make more than 20 mil with endorsements

dannysc305
06-28-2014, 01:20 PM
sacrificing your utility for the group is about as beta as you can get

alpha is getting whats yours and still making sure the group do what you want

Well sometimes u gotta swallow your dumbass pride take one for the team that stupid alpha sh*t doesn't work all the time

NBAplayoffs2001
06-28-2014, 01:21 PM
you can make more than 20 mil with endorsements

But you are saying because he takes less money he would get more endorsements. I don't think that's a factor you can really include. Either way, there is no reason why LeBron should take less than $20 million. If he does, to me it just proves he badly just wants a championship even if he takes IMO 70% of what he is truly worth year in and year out. It's the easy way out but at this point in his career and the decisions he has made, I'm not surprised :confusedshrug:

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Well sometimes u gotta swallow your dumbass pride take one for the team
betas swallow, alphas eat

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 01:22 PM
can someone explain what i can do with 20 million that i wouldnt be able to do with 15 million?

NBAplayoffs2001
06-28-2014, 01:24 PM
can someone explain what i can do with 20 million that i wouldnt be able to do with 15 million?

Not to be able to buy a $20 million house?

Fudge
06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Kobe stans been murkin Bron stans lately

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:28 PM

:facepalm that's cause you are poor, a wealthy person can make good use of that 5 million differential. you realize if you invest that 5 million difference in a safe 7% annualized return investment, within a decade that 5 million becomes 10 million?

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 01:36 PM
:facepalm that's cause you are poor, a wealthy person can make good use of that 5 million differential. you realize if you invest that 5 million difference in a safe 7% annualized return investment, within a decade that 5 million becomes 10 million?
so they can invest 5 mil and within a decade, they'll have 10 mil more. the person with 15 mil can do the same thing. that means in 10 years the difference between the two investors will once again be 5 million. now the question becomes what can i do with 25 million that i wouldnt be able to do with 20 million?

RoTM
Endorsement money is hard to come by and hes mostly at a point where its maxed out anyway. Another ring isn't upping his shoe deal for instance. The Beats thing was considered a windfall because he lucked into a 30M buyout. Most of them wont be close to that.

Now consider him taking 14-15 per year when he could be at 22M with raises that would up him to 28 in year 5. He would miss out on 50+ million guaranteed off one deal.

IGOTGAME
After minus federal and state tax plus agent fees etc...its a lot less.

Please tell me what the owner cant do with 2.1 billion that he cant do with 2.08 billion.?

People live in such a beat done drone mentality.

iamgine
06-28-2014, 01:37 PM
If by lowering my salary I get more money in the long term and help my team win then only stupid short term thinking people will not do it.

Logic 101.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:37 PM
so they can invest 5 mil and within a decade, they'll have 10 mil more. the person with 15 mil can do the same thing. that means in 10 years the difference between the two investors will once again be 5 million. now the question becomes what can i do with 25 million that i wouldnt be able to do with 20 million?

wow :facepalm :biggums:

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 01:43 PM
wow :facepalm :biggums:

that's pretty much the response i expected from you

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:45 PM
that's pretty much the response i expected from you
if you think the difference in 10 years assuming each person does the same thing is still 5 million, then you are retarded. there's nothing more we can do to help. the education system has failed you

SpecialQue
06-28-2014, 01:46 PM
I think Lebron is one of the biggest ******* in the NBA, but all these posts bitching about him and his teammates taking less money just reeks of fear. They're going to do what it takes to stay in the finals, even if that means taking less money. This is how the NBA works now. Get over it.

J Shuttlesworth
06-28-2014, 01:48 PM
If they take pay cuts and succeed to win rings and create a dynasty, it will easily be worth it. As a true super team, they will end up making more through endorsements over time by having a team who will always be remembered.

Think about it like 3 guys have a start up business and those three are all very good/talented at what they do. They realize that in order to turn their business into a larger scale business, they need to hire a few other guys. So they agree to pay some other talented people to help them. Down the road, this will help get your name out there and you will end up making far more money than if you just had the original 3 working solo.

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 01:50 PM
if you think the difference in 10 years assuming each person does the same thing is still 5 million, then you are retarded. there's nothing more we can do to help. the education system has failed you

if they each invest 5 million dollars into the same thing. which one would get more back from their investments?

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
if they each invest 5 million dollars into the same thing. which one would get more back from their investments?

:facepalm the point is the 20 million guy can spend his 15 million replicating exactly what the other guy does and still has 5 million leftover to invest. the point is the difference will compound and accumulate over time.

what you are saying is comparing apples to oranges

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 02:04 PM
:facepalm the point is the 20 million guy can spend his 15 million replicating exactly what the other guy does and still has 5 million leftover to invest. the point is the difference will compound and accumulate over time.

what you are saying is comparing apples to oranges

what you're basically saying is after they both invest 5 mil and they both get the same return on that 5 mil. one guy still has more money to spend. what ive been trying to say is that that doesnt fukin matter because theyre both still rich

SpecialQue
06-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Only in sports would people taking a paycut to potentially do something historic be shit on. They have a chance to be in the finals for a fifth, sixth, seventh time in a row. Why is this a bad thing?

In other words, if the Lakers did this, I'd fvcking love it, because regardless of who's playing, you're creating a legacy for the franchise.

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Only in sports would people taking a paycut to potentially do something historic be shit on. They have a chance to be in the finals for a fifth, sixth, seventh time in a row. Why is this a bad thing?

In other words, if the Lakers did this, I'd fvcking love it, because regardless of who's playing, you're creating a legacy for the franchise.

the majority of the people hating do it because they don't like Lebron or the Heat. if Kobe and Lakers did the same thing, the roles would be reversed among the stans

RoTM
06-28-2014, 02:14 PM
the majority of the people hating do it because they don't like Lebron or the Heat. if Kobe and Lakers did the same thing, the roles would be reversed among the stans

People have their time and then it ends and we get something new. I don't want to see Miami in the finals for seven years straight.

TheCorporation
06-28-2014, 02:16 PM
This guy did it:

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/30/50/17/6456261/3/628x471.jpg

Ask him how it worked out for him?

This guy did the opposite:

http://morethan-stats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kobe-bryant-phoenix-suns-bench-fashion-suit-1.jpg

Ask him how it's worked out for him?

SCdac
06-28-2014, 02:22 PM
This guy did it:

http://morethan-stats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kobe-bryant-phoenix-suns-bench-fashion-suit-1.jpg

No kidding. But delusional kids on here think being selfish and not a team player in a team game is "alpha" :facepalm

Big Cheese
06-28-2014, 02:27 PM
All I get from these alpha/beta arguments is that

doing anything that is beneficial to the team = beta
Being selfish = alpha

DonDadda59
06-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Nope, I'd rather hold up my boss Jesse James style while on crutches thereby killing the company's resources and ability to grow.

At the end of the day, these guys are getting tens of millions of dollars regardless. If they choose to take a pay cut in order to give their team flexibility, then I say go for it.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 02:29 PM
This guy did it:

there's no point in winning if you have to share the spotlight with your team, that's some beta ass shit.

The only way winning is worth it is if you do it your way on your terms

it's better to win and lose because of your effort alone rather than win because of team effort.

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 02:29 PM
No kidding. But delusional kids on here think being selfish and not a team player in a team game is "alpha" :facepalm
don't blame STATUTORY, he's retarded. most of the other posters complaining about it are just trolls

GimmeThat
06-28-2014, 02:30 PM
would you ever let go of your best employee in order to help you save money?

would you ever hire someone not nessecarily for winning a championship but for other values. i.e. in business term you would be hiring for someone as a new position with a new title.

would you ever go into work, thinking it's not about the salary, but about the code.

this is why I write.

El Kabong
06-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Exactly. You can't have 3 guys take up $60 million in cap space and then complain you don't have enough help to win. You want your $20 million? Then that's the difference between signing some good and someone OK and to expect otherwise is silly.

And let's not even get started on those guys taking in $20 million then expecting other players to sign below market value deals to be a part of the team.

El Kabong
06-28-2014, 02:34 PM
there's no point in winning if you have to share the spotlight with your team, that's some beta ass shit.

it's better to win and lose because of your effort alone rather than win because of team effort.
If you're all about individual efforts, then why the hell are you watching team sports? Go watch tennis or golf or something.

SpecialQue
06-28-2014, 02:35 PM
All I get from these alpha/beta arguments is that

doing anything that is beneficial to the team = beta
Being selfish = alpha

Pretty much. I really fvcking hate this place sometimes.

Nuff Said
06-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Well sometimes u gotta swallow your dumbass pride take one for the team that stupid alpha sh*t doesn't work all the time
RNS

Heavincent
06-28-2014, 02:39 PM
This guy did it:

They both have 5 rings :confusedshrug:

IGOTGAME
06-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Exactly. You can't have 3 guys take up $60 million in cap space and then complain you don't have enough help to win. You want your $20 million? Then that's the difference between signing some good and someone OK and to expect otherwise is silly.

And let's not even get started on those guys taking in $20 million then expecting other players to sign below market value deals to be a part of the team.

Or the owner could pay the luxury tax.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 02:41 PM
If you're all about individual efforts, then why the hell are you watching team sports? Go watch tennis or golf or something.
honestly when kobe is playing, i dont even see other lakers. they are just anonymous cutouts and props on the stage

really its 1 vs 9.

that's the nature of life, the entire team concept is just a facade. a contrived artifice that explicitly delineate sport from cold harsh truth of life, that it's always you against the entire world.

TheCorporation
06-28-2014, 02:43 PM
there's no point in winning if you have to share the spotlight with your team, that's some beta ass shit. *Kobe for his first 3 chips? Kareem for 4 of his, only winning Finals MVP once in his 5 chips with the big 3 Lakers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/bballer4fr/ml3z02czb7gkvvmuf278-1.gif

SpecialQue
06-28-2014, 02:44 PM
This guy did it:

One of those guys was injured for the entire season, the other wasn't. How is this even close to being the same thing?

TheCorporation
06-28-2014, 02:51 PM
One of those guys was injured for the entire season, the other wasn't. How is this even close to being the same thing?

Simplified:

Duncan has taken pay cuts, look at his results the last 3 years
Kobe has not, in fact, took a nice raise, what do you think his results will be for the next 2 years? And what were his results the last 3 years?

SCdac
06-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Didn't Kobe basically say that if the Lakers were any good this last season he would have come off the injured list and played ? .... Talk about some weak BS

Heavincent
06-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Didn't Kobe basically say that if the Lakers were any good this last season he would have come off the injured list and played ? .... Talk about some weak BS

He said that with like 10-15 games left in the season. What's the point of risking injury at that point? And it would have resulted in a worse draft pick, so people would have accused him of chasing the scoring record at the team's expense.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 03:02 PM
naw that's strong stuff

alphas dont sacrifice their body and risk injuries just so their "teammates" can win a few more games and have a feel good ending. that's some ascetic beta mentality

Crimsonrain777
06-28-2014, 03:07 PM
honestly when kobe is playing, i dont even see other lakers. they are just anonymous cutouts and props on the stage

really its 1 vs 9.

that's the nature of life, the entire team concept is just a facade. a contrived artifice that explicitly delineate sport from cold harsh truth of life, that it's always you against the entire world.
if every man was always for himself. humanity wouldve never have gotten this far. there wouldnt be a civilization or a world wide web for you to spew your idiotic talking points. the real world progresses with people working together with their fellow man. if that wasn't the case, we would just be individual creatures looking for daily kills and waiting til the next huge meteor wipes us clean out of existence

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 03:36 PM
if every man was always for himself. humanity wouldve never have gotten this far. there wouldnt be a civilization or a world wide web for you to spew your idiotic talking points. the real world progresses with people working together with their fellow man. if that wasn't the case, we would just be individual creatures looking for daily kills and waiting til the next huge meteor wipes us clean out of existence

millions of people help build the pyramid, but we only remember the name of pharaohs

lots of betas in this world.

Rose'sACL
06-28-2014, 03:44 PM
i didn't realize that companies have to pay luxury tax and repeater tax to US government if they pay more than a certain limit.
Watch as STATUTORY completely ignores this post.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 03:56 PM
i didn't realize that companies have to pay luxury tax and repeater tax to US government if they pay more than a certain limit.
Watch as STATUTORY completely ignores this post.
the topic is about the principle of inviting another man into your den because you dont have the testicular fortitude to do it yourself.

that's the extent of the analogy. the specifics are irrelevant

nathanjizzle
06-28-2014, 03:57 PM
i dont know, if i was loaded with excessive job duties and had to take a 20 percent pay cut to cut the load by 40 percent it might be considered.

KyrieTheFuture
06-28-2014, 03:59 PM
See you tried to make a business comparison and ended up failing because it happens ALL THE ****ING TIME. Just not how you presented it. Take every start up that has ever occurred. They cut their own salary in order to hire others to make their job easy. Should Google still be 6 guys in a basement? Should Mark Zuckerburg be the only Facebook employee? You are ****ing retarded don't even try to argue business with me I will destroy everything your Devry University degree taught you.

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 04:05 PM
See you tried to make a business comparison and ended up failing because it happens ALL THE ****ING TIME. Just not how you presented it. Take every start up that has ever occurred. They cut their own salary in order to hire others to make their job easy. Should Google still be 6 guys in a basement? Should Mark Zuckerburg be the only Facebook employee? You are ****ing retarded don't even try to argue business with me I will destroy everything your Devry University degree taught you.
oh man, hard core gangster here with bachelors in business administration.

KyrieTheFuture
06-28-2014, 04:08 PM
oh man, hard core gangster here with bachelors in business administration.
Refute me instead of deflecting. Do you have an associates in communication which might as well just be a fancy GED?

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Refute me instead of deflecting. Do you have an associates in communication which might as well just be a fancy GED?
refute what? what you posted is not a rebuttal to my point. My point was about the principle of the action, whether it happens frequently or not is completely irrelevant.

KyrieTheFuture
06-28-2014, 04:12 PM
refute what? what you posted is not a rebuttal to my point. My point was about the principle of the action, whether it happens frequently or not is completely irrelevant.
Your principle is incorrect

Fork
06-28-2014, 04:16 PM
No, instead, I would make my co-workers take less money. So my boss can increase my salary :lol