PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed how those in the media have subtly changed the language?

JohnMax
06-28-2014, 01:25 AM
The Heat failed to 3peat and all you hear is that they made 4 finals trips in a row. When did "making" the Finals become an accomplishment?

JohnFreeman
06-28-2014, 01:27 AM
How is making the finals not an accomplishment? Especially four times in a row

livinglegend
06-28-2014, 01:29 AM
I love the fact that it bothers you. I hope the media continues like that. :applause: :applause: :applause: for them!

kennethgriffin
06-28-2014, 01:32 AM
The Heat failed to 3peat and all you hear is that they made 4 finals trips in a row. When did "making" the Finals become an accomplishment?

"kobe > jordan all time.... 7 > 6 " - espn

BAM!

STATUTORY
06-28-2014, 01:37 AM
why you pretend to be a kings fan bro?

we all kno u sipping them bran uice

(e)
06-28-2014, 01:39 AM
2/5

JohnFreeman
06-28-2014, 01:40 AM
why you pretend to be a kings fan bro?

we all kno u sipping them bran uice
I am not pretending, I just don't follow your stupid theories

Myth
06-28-2014, 01:43 AM
In the 2000s, they made a big deal about the Pistons going 5 times in a row to the ECF. Surely, 4 Finals is worth talking about.

GimmeThat
06-28-2014, 01:53 AM

it just shows the league what it takes to get there.

it's not an accomplishment.

but teams can't stop jumping on the opportunities to replicate what they did and explore what are the tinest measures in order to get over the hump.

tmacattack33
06-28-2014, 01:57 AM

There's 30 teams in the league. Two of them make the Finals.

I'm not sure how that is not an accomplishment.

Marchesk
06-28-2014, 02:02 AM
It's an accomplishment, but lettuce not forget not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 ...

played0ut
06-28-2014, 02:05 AM
It's sensationalism it helps sell. It's slightly annoying, but understandable.

What irks me is if they obviously stan a player-- they're supposed to be objective.

Lebron23
06-28-2014, 02:09 AM
Because 4 straight trip into the finals is still a great accomplishments. Last team to played in 4 straight NBA Finals were the showtime Lakers in the extremely weak western conference.

coin24
06-28-2014, 02:28 AM
Because 4 straight trip into the finals is still a great accomplishments. Last team to played in 4 straight NBA Finals were the showtime Lakers in the extremely weak western conference.

Now the heat did it in the EXTREMELY EMBARRASSINGLY weak eastern conference:oldlol:

4 straight finals is a lot of basketball so its impressive no doubt. Promising not 6, not 7, not 8 titles etc and winning 2/4 is hilarious though..:lol

oarabbus
06-28-2014, 02:29 AM

That's extremely impressive to make 4 finals in a row. You sound like a bitter hater.

sd3035
06-28-2014, 02:34 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Eastern_Conference_%28NBA%29_logo.gif

Heavincent
06-28-2014, 03:01 AM
Honestly, the fact that they played in the East kind of puts an * on it. The Pacers were their stiffest competition :roll:

I'm not discrediting their 2 rings, but the 4 straight finals thing doesn't mean much imo. The East is just such a garbage heap. Look at all of the bye rounds the Heat got (Sixers, Bucks, Bobcats, JV Bulls), and they didn't play one legit title contender en route to any of their Finals appearances.

Kblaze8855
06-28-2014, 04:53 AM
Point out any situation in sports history where making 4 finals in a row isnt considered an amazing accomplishment.

Even the Bills in the early 90s get brought up all the time and they didnt even win one.

You can go read old NBa books like say....the NBA at 50. Guys go down praised as winners without even making the finals. Shit like "Made the playoffs in 9 of 12 seasons" gets propped up.

People didnt start acting like winning 55-60 games and making the finals was unimpressive until like....2008.

There are top 10ish players who never even led a team to the finals.

LA Lakers
06-28-2014, 06:04 AM
KBLAZE loves basketball. Always informative. Just curious though, who is a top 10 player who never led his team to a Finals appearance?

Kblaze8855
06-28-2014, 07:45 AM
According to virtually everyone who ever saw him play...Oscar Robertson.

ArbitraryWater
06-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Why should they talk about the Heat failing? They made 4 consecutive finals trips and were back to back champions, why should they earn critic?

'Murrica

LA Lakers
06-28-2014, 08:00 AM
According to virtually everyone who ever saw him play...Oscar Robertson.
Oh yeah. I was trying to pick my brain for who it could be. And he is usually mentioned in most top 10s.

LA Lakers
06-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Didnt he average a triple double as well for an entire season?

Kblaze8855
06-28-2014, 02:18 PM
He did. But people didnt rank him highly because of it. Nobody cared at the time.

He was ranked as the best player people ever saw for one reason....he was an unbelievable player. Before all the Bs online...before arbitrary ranking formulas and all...when a guy said ____ is the best ever...it meant as a basketball player.

Nobody acted like Oscar wasnt the best they had seen because he didnt have the team accomplishments.

Baylor either.

It was the late 80s/early 90s before all that started and it wasnt half as bad then as it is now.

Legends66NBA7
06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
No, that's not the narrative. It's applying a team accomplishment and giving 100% credit to an individual's best player on that team, which is incorrect. Winning overall is a team accomplishment.

I'd think to most casual fans, losing in the first or Finals, you still lose. Nobody remembers a loser, only the winners. History and the following that comes from that is written by the victors.

LA Lakers
06-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Oh, it's bad now. Very bad. I just saw people in another discussion saying that Birds' stats are inflated because the game was more uptempo. I didn't know this was an actual argument. I thought it was basketball fact that Bird is one of the greatest of all time. I like what you said about the arbitrariness of lists. I mean, what's the margin of difference between say number 4 or number 5 on a list? And really it's all agenda based. It will be interesting to see the hit job these online forums will do to the Kobes and Lebrons of the world 30 years from now. Thankfully I will be too old to even care or dead haha.

russwest0
06-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Because it's in the Eastern Conference

DMAVS41
06-28-2014, 02:28 PM

When you play in the garbage East.

That is going to become one of the most inflated accomplishments in NBA history over time...

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely something to be proud of, but lets not act like 2 titles in 4 years (even with making 4 finals) is a huge win for the Heat here. They did about average...perhaps slightly below in the first 4 years given expectations and the competition.

MMM
06-28-2014, 02:44 PM
It's an accomplishment, but lettuce not forget not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 ...

Guess they were talking final appearance not cships

Meticode
06-28-2014, 02:46 PM
The media is the media. They'll talk about how the Heat made the Finals 4 times in a row, then certain analyst when you talk about LeBron's 2/5 won't even count the Finals appearance in Cleveland and discredit it.

Fork
06-28-2014, 02:48 PM

:lol

As if it wasn't an accomplishment, would you rather be eliminated in the first round or make the finals?

BigTicket
06-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Winning three straight would obviously be better, but making four straight finals is also great, as can be seen by the fact that only 3 teams have ever done it.