PDA

View Full Version : Dante Exum looks like high school Kobe.

BigBoss
06-29-2014, 02:34 AM
His game resembles a young Kobe's.

Stay focused kid :pimp:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAdbE72z2VE

lol at Orlando.

navy
06-29-2014, 02:41 AM
I dont like his shot.

Still

Exum>>>> Gordan

BigBoss
06-29-2014, 02:47 AM
I dont like his shot.

Still

Exum>>>> Gordan

It'll come. I can see this guy having a really nice inside/outside game. He gets in the lane with ease. Better then Wiggins.

KingPush
06-29-2014, 02:48 AM
crappy shot and looks like a weak athlete.

LOL at him bricking that wide open dunk

navy
06-29-2014, 03:03 AM
It'll come. I can see this guy having a really nice inside/outside game. He gets in the lane with ease. Better then Wiggins.
I was talking about the form.

This dude will at the very least be better than Gordan.

JohnFreeman
06-29-2014, 03:07 AM
Who is going to carry Exum?

Smook A.
06-29-2014, 03:12 AM
Exum's first step is great. He needs to work on his jumper and bulk up a little bit if he wants to become successful in the NBA.

JtotheIzzo
06-29-2014, 05:08 AM
he gets into the lane, but two missed dunks on your highlight reel doesn't scream top athlete.

And1 guys are great at getting into the lane.

LOL at BigBoss, he must be on some shit.

BoutPractice
06-29-2014, 05:37 AM
I've heard "thin Derrick Rose" and "tall Tony Parker" as comparisons.
What people mean by that is that beyond physical characteristics, he's elite at accelerating to the rim like they are (see the play at 1:20). Speed is a great skill to have, but change of speed is even better.

However I think he's got better natural point guard skills than Tony Parker, while being less shifty than both Parker and DRose.

outbreak
06-29-2014, 07:35 AM
never knew kobe defined himself as a point guard and looked to pass.

Jameerthefear
06-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Gordon is so much better than this kid :oldlol:

Im Still Ballin
06-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Jammy PM me baby. I've got a very RARE photo of Exum.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 09:09 AM
I've heard "thin Derrick Rose" and "tall Tony Parker" as comparisons.
What people mean by that is that beyond physical characteristics, he's elite at accelerating to the rim like they are (see the play at 1:20). Speed is a great skill to have, but change of speed is even better.

However I think he's got better natural point guard skills than Tony Parker, while being less shifty than both Parker and DRose.
He has awful natural pointguard skills. He is not a good passer at all and turns the ball over too much. He's just a ball dominator. He doesn't move well without the ball and needs the ball to be effective. His first step looks quick against inferior competition but if you watch him against Marcus Smart you'll see that Smart denies him the ball and when he has the ball he can do literally nothing against him. Smart is strong but he's not a super athlete. Exum is an average athlete with a decent first step. His jumper is awful. His form on his jumper is awful. He's great at getting to the line? Cool, what happens when he gets there? Shoots FTs at 60%. That's not a good sign if you expect his shooting to improve. Anyone here think this guy is going to be your PG this year had better close their eyes because it's going to be ugly. He's nothing like Kobe or Parker. He's so much slower than Parker it's a joke. And to try and mention him with Kobe is just ridiculous.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 09:10 AM
never knew kobe defined himself as a point guard and looked to pass.
Don't worry, Exum isn't a PG and doesn't look to pass.

JerryWest
06-29-2014, 09:11 AM
but with a sexy accent

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-29-2014, 09:31 AM
He doesnt have a tenth of 18yo Kobes athleticism

BoutPractice
06-29-2014, 09:54 AM
He has awful natural pointguard skills. He is not a good passer at all and turns the ball over too much. He's just a ball dominator. He doesn't move well without the ball and needs the ball to be effective. His first step looks quick against inferior competition but if you watch him against Marcus Smart you'll see that Smart denies him the ball and when he has the ball he can do literally nothing against him. Smart is strong but he's not a super athlete. Exum is an average athlete with a decent first step. His jumper is awful. His form on his jumper is awful. He's great at getting to the line? Cool, what happens when he gets there? Shoots FTs at 60%. That's not a good sign if you expect his shooting to improve. Anyone here think this guy is going to be your PG this year had better close their eyes because it's going to be ugly. He's nothing like Kobe or Parker. He's so much slower than Parker it's a joke. And to try and mention him with Kobe is just ridiculous.

I don't know, in the film I watched his decision making seemed just fine for a player his age. But film can lie.

There seems to be a lot of hyperbole in your evaluation with all the "awful"s. Especially for a player we haven't had a great chance to evaluate so far.

As for Smart, I like him, he's one of the best prospects in the draft, so the fact that he's a very good defender, which everyone knew, doesn't factor at all into my evaluation of Exum. Smart is a potentially great NBA defender... and even NBA superstars struggle against great NBA defenders.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 10:10 AM
I don't know, in the film I watched his decision making seemed just fine for a player his age. But film can lie.

There seems to be a lot of hyperbole in your evaluation with all the "awful"s. Especially for a player we haven't had a great chance to evaluate so far.

As for Smart, I like him, he's one of the best prospects in the draft, so the fact that he's a very good defender, which everyone knew, doesn't factor at all into my evaluation of Exum. Smart is a potentially great NBA defender... and even NBA superstars struggle against great NBA defenders.
Hyperbole from me? I'm not the one calling him the best player in the draft. Everyone is saying how great he is and I'm trying to be realistic. You're saying I can't say that about his shot because we haven't seen enough of him yet people are anointing him the best talent in the draft without seeing him. That makes no sense. If you watch him play agains the USA he struggles against their defenders. He shoots 60% from the line and his form looks bad consistently in all his shots. He's only effective with the ball. You can look at his stats and see that he averages 3.8 assists to 2.3 turnovers. Those numbers don't scream PG when you're playing almost 30 min a game. People aren't being realistic about him. There are massive holes in his game. Maybe he'll improve them mabe he won't but his athleticism is just average, he's a poor shooter and poor FT shooter, his passing is below average for a PG and he's weak. His first step looks decent against inferior competition. So I just don't understand the hype here. No one is using their heads.

BoutPractice
06-29-2014, 10:20 AM
The shot I definitely agree with. While Wiggins' shot is underrated, Exum's simply doesn't fill me with confidence.

Wiggins you can easily picture becoming a reliable 36+% 3 point shooter down the road, mostly keeping his current form, with pure hard work and repetition. Maybe 38%, probably not 40%, but good enough that his shot will be respected and teams have to put a body on him, allowing him to penetrate.

Exum on the other hand might have to completely rebuild his shot.

Where we part ways is, I'm pretty sure his physical tools will translate well to extremely well.

Jameerthefear
06-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Exum is basically getting hype because he's 6'6. That's why Magic fans wanted him so bad because they get excited when they think of the next Penny. The fact of the matter is that Exum has the highest chance of busting of the top 5 picks of the draft because he doesn't really excel at anything.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 10:23 AM
This is the same shit that happened around here when Brandon Jennings scored 55ps. Everyone went crazy and I was like "he can shoot it pass and shoots too much, he's not that good". Guess who was right. What's the difference between Zach Lavine and Exum? Lavine is faster, has a vertical 11" higher than Exum and can shoot way better than Exum can. What's the difference? We got to actually see Lavine play a season so eveyone knows he's a project so he was picked 13th. Exum went 5th because no one knows shit about him. He wouldn't even work out against other prospects. Did you know that Lavines numbers were almost the same as Westbrooks were his freshman year? That doesn't mean anything in the real world tho. Instead you wanna tell me about how fast Exum looks against slow guys and ignore how he looks against Smart. Guess what, the NBA is filled with guys as good or better than Marcus Smart. Get some perspective.

HOoopCityJones
06-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Who is going to carry Exum?

Who's gonna carry Cousins

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 10:31 AM
The shot I definitely agree with. While Wiggins' shot is underrated, Exum's simply doesn't fill me with confidence.

Wiggins you can easily picture becoming a reliable 36+% 3 point shooter down the road, mostly keeping his current form, with pure hard work and repetition. Maybe 38%, probably not 40%, but good enough that his shot will be respected and teams have to put a body on him, allowing him to penetrate.

Exum on the other hand might have to completely rebuild his shot.

Where we part ways is, I'm pretty sure his physical tools will translate well to extremely well.
I'm just asking, what physical tools? There's nothing that separates him from an average PG at a really good program apart from his height. He doesn't have the ballhandling at all. Look at his numbers and the film and tell me what screams even "good" passer about him? It's just not there. Did you watch Smart own him? I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong because I want the league to be filled with talent but I just don't see it. He's really weak. I don't see the physical tools. He's not a great leaper he can't shoot and he can't pass. Look at Rubio. All he needs is a shot. He's quick as hell, he's long he can defend and he's an excellent passer. Guess what? His shot sucks and it's not gotten better. Look how much that has impacted his game negatively. Getting a better jumpshot isn't a given.

BoutPractice
06-29-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm just asking, what physical tools? There's nothing that separates him from an average PG at a really good program apart from his height
Height is a huge advantage for a PG

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Not when you can't dribble, shoot or pass. Having a solid handle decent shot and being able to pass are much more important.

DMV2
06-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I don't know anything about his game but he looks like a light-skin Wesley Johnson. Hopefully, he doesn't turn into a bust like Johnson.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Height is an advantage at every position if you can play. What skill does Exum posses? None. Look at Smart. He was not a PG in high school, he started playing PG in college but he's still not that good as a real PG but he's learning. What does he have that other guys don't? He's an excellent defender and he's reallly strong. He's undersized but makes up with it with his wingspan. All Exum has is height. That's it. He has nothing separating him from other players. Not his dribble, his d, his shot or his passing skills and he's not a freak athlete. I don't see the potential as a PG at all. Maybe as an average two guard but he can't shoot and has a bad shot. This pick reeks of bad Euro picks like Darko and Skita. Darko was scouted heavily and had all the skills and the height but he sucked. Skita wasn't scouted and he was awful. This pick reeks of the hype and I'm not buying it at all.

moe94
06-29-2014, 03:00 PM
He doesnt have a tenth of 18yo Kobes athleticism

He's actually faster. :oldlol:

moe94
06-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Height is an advantage at every position if you can play. What skill does Exum posses? None. Look at Smart. He was not a PG in high school, he started playing PG in college but he's still not that good as a real PG but he's learning. What does he have that other guys don't? He's an excellent defender and he's reallly strong. He's undersized but makes up with it with his wingspan. All Exum has is height. That's it. He has nothing separating him from other players. Not his dribble, his d, his shot or his passing skills and he's not a freak athlete. I don't see the potential as a PG at all. Maybe as an average two guard but he can't shoot and has a bad shot. This pick reeks of bad Euro picks like Darko and Skita. Darko was scouted heavily and had all the skills and the height but he sucked. Skita wasn't scouted and he was awful. This pick reeks of the hype and I'm not buying it at all.

I guess we will see. Understand this nonsense will be bumped if you're wrong and forgotten if you're right. :coleman: