PDA

View Full Version : The Heat's REAL Problem

chopchop20
06-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Isn't it style of play? The Heat looked liked the old Cavaliers in the Finals, isolating LeBron and looking for him to create plays in a 1-4 spread.

And if you're gonna turn Chris Bosh into a jump-shooter, shouldn't you really question what the hell you're doing on offense?

Just saying... everybody is focused on the what players the Heat need. I think the bigger problem is the system. It's no longer effective to win titles unless it changes

VengefulAngel
06-29-2014, 05:12 AM
Isn't it style of play? The Heat looked liked the old Cavaliers in the Finals, isolating LeBron and looking for him to create plays in a 1-4 spread.

And if you're gonna turn Chris Bosh into a jump-shooter, shouldn't you really question what the hell you're doing on offense?

Just saying... everybody is focused on the what players the Heat need. I think the bigger problem is the system. It's no longer effective to win titles unless it changes

Yes but they won't change.

Lebron23
06-29-2014, 05:14 AM
defense
Wade was missing easy layups

J Shuttlesworth
06-29-2014, 05:14 AM
They should play more like they did in 2012-13 with more ball movement and more defensive disruptions.

that doesn't work against the 2014 Spurs though. Gambling on defense = Mills or Green open for 3.

The Heat really need someone else to carry the offensive burden besides LeBron. Wade/Chalmers wasn't cutting it, and they were terrible on the defensive end. If they can get Lowry, that will solve a lot of problems.

I<3NBA
06-29-2014, 05:32 AM
honestly, their real problem was that they couldn't make their threes. losing Mike Miller really hurt them. and when Battier, Chalmers, and even Ray Allen couldn't make their threes, it meant they could not keep up with the Spurs offensively.

if they had at least traded threes with the Spurs, they would not be getting blown out every game and they'd have a chance every time to steal a game.

Miami not making threes meant less space for Lebron. the Spurs had the luxury all series to pack the paint. so they took away Lebron AND Wade's game away.

Miami needs the constant threat of threes to make their style of play really work.

NZStreetBaller
06-29-2014, 05:55 AM
good thread man :applause: agree 100% even though the spurs won utilising a beautiful system. teams are still focusing on who's playing in their team rather then how the team is playing. spurs have got old ass people playing for them and a bunch of scrub role players and they kick ass yet these talent stacked teams (thunder, heat,rockets etc) cant touch them.

Plus systems last longer and a more reliable then a superstar because you never really know when a superstar will let you down (lebron 2011, Dwade 2014)

A poor system is what destroyed the lakers since d'antoni was coach and same could be said for the knicks. both had good teams but crap systems

This is why I think Bulls would be a great choice for melo the system there is awesome and as long as he co operates its ECF at the very least

Jasper
06-29-2014, 06:02 AM
one of the Truehoop TV guys did a study and found that most players instead of making an extra pass, take actually a shot that is contested.
Needless to say unlike the Spurs who always look for an open player... it's called the Boston 80's ball movement.

During an analysis Kobe Byrant was known to not only take a shot during a contested shot , but at times 2-3 defensive players were on him at the time.

Sometimes in the heat of battle players see the double team coming , but the juices are flowing so high , they take the shot anyways.

Some players the game doesn't slow down , but actually speed up , and that usually is a sign that a player is getting to old.
D-wade over the finals showed these actions.

NZStreetBaller
06-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Tim duncan doesnt havent that problem and hes older then wade....

NZStreetBaller
06-29-2014, 06:13 AM
one of the Truehoop TV guys did a study and found that most players instead of making an extra pass, take actually a shot that is contested.
Needless to say unlike the Spurs who always look for an open player... it's called the Boston 80's ball movement.

During an analysis Kobe Byrant was known to not only take a shot during a contested shot , but at times 2-3 defensive players were on him at the time.

Sometimes in the heat of battle players see the double team coming , but the juices are flowing so high , they take the shot anyways.

Some players the game doesn't slow down , but actually speed up , and that usually is a sign that a player is getting to old.
D-wade over the finals showed these actions.

it can also just come from long time habits..... D wade played alot of hero ball in his prime.

T_L_P
06-29-2014, 06:17 AM
A lot of it was their defense. Neither LeBron or Wade were good on that end of the floor this series.

pauk
06-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Why do you think Lebron was forced into that?

That has always been Chris Bosh's game.... midrange J's, pick-n-pop and occasional pick-n-roll or face-up drive in the post.... and now he is just getting older/worse, this time he got completely shut down by a 38 year old, he tried his best to do something efficient against him but to no success, forcing him into chucking up 3's.... the only one who turned him into that was Spurs/Tim Duncan and Chris Bosh himself...... defensively he was completely useless, he couldnt even rebound.... i wonder who turned him into that player aswell?

(now you might be inching closer to knowing why Heat looked like Cavs)

There is NOTHING wrong with the system...... Heat always had problems with size/rebounding/hence interior defense and thats how they always got beat..... Wade/Bosh are this time around not that good enough to counterbalance that problem offensively and still win anyways, Lebron is... but the counterbalance of 1 vs 5 (or vs Spurs 1 vs 10) is not good....

Dresta
06-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Ball was sticking on offense, and energy was pretty absent across the board on defense. Team just looked worn down/mentally fatigued, and came up against a team both hungrier and better prepared than they were. Miami were bad, but there is too much focus on them; SAS played amazing the whole series aside from the end of game 2; when Kawhi started outplaying Lebron it was over.

1~Gibson~1
06-29-2014, 11:11 AM
They need a legit rim protector. Thats been their achilles heal since 2010. The Spurs shot 70%+ not because the paint was poorly guarded, help defense came, open shooter makes 3, repeat.

It was seriously like watching me play a game of 2k. Or going to the rec and watching a bunch of scrubs play D.

dubeta
06-29-2014, 01:18 PM

That has always been Chris Bosh's game.... midrange J's, pick-n-pop and occasional pick-n-roll or face-up drive in the post.... and now he is just getting older/worse, this time he got completely shut down by a 38 year old, he tried his best to do something efficient against him but to no success, forcing him into chucking up 3's.... the only one who turned him into that was Spurs/Tim Duncan and Chris Bosh himself...... defensively he was completely useless, he couldnt even rebound.... i wonder who turned him into that player aswell?

There is NOTHING wrong with the system...... Heat always had problems with size/rebounding/hence interior defense and thats how they always got beat..... Wade/Bosh are this time around not that good enough to counterbalance that problem offensively and still win anyways, Lebron is... but the counterbalance of 1 vs 5 (or vs Spurs 1 vs 10) is not good....

Pauk dropping knowledge :bowdown:

SCdac
06-29-2014, 02:06 PM
- fast aging, fragile Wade (probably their biggest weakness)
- gone away from posting up Bosh
- weak point guard and center positions
- Battier, Allen, Haslem, Jones all getting too old
- rely on Lebron to do everything
- good coach, but not elite

navy
06-29-2014, 02:09 PM
- gone away from posting up Bosh

Bosh is not, was not, and never will be a post up player.

SCdac
06-29-2014, 02:12 PM

Eh, I'd rather post him up (and have him face up) in the midrange area (ala Aldridge, Duncan, Dirk, etc.) than turn him into a three point shooting big man.

PJR
06-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Rebounding, and regression on defense. Any other answers are flat out incorrect.

Miami finished 26th in rebounding differential last year. You can only get so far dealing with that type of disparity on the boards. And the Heat's personnel last season collectively could not defend or execute the defensive system at the level needed to negate the inability to rebound.

Riley and Spoelstra will address these issues this offseason accordingly.

DaSeba5
06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Their problem all year was old tired legs on defense. Because they don't have great defensive bigs to bail them out, their defense is based on energy and quick rotations to their man. Obviously you cannot do that when your players are older.

chopchop20
06-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Bosh has some post skill. And whatever the plan is for him, it shouldn't be standing in the corner to shoot 3's.

chopchop20
06-29-2014, 02:59 PM

I get what you're saying, but I disagree a little. I think the way Miami played had more to do with them than the Spurs. I think they still had opportunities to get others involved on offense.

The reference to Cleveland has nothing to do with personnel differences. It's about isolating LeBron and have others stand around. I don't care if he's playing with Melo and KD or Norris and Rio, that's not how I think they should be using.

I'd like to see LeBron keep developing his off-the ball game. He doesn't do very much on offensive when the ball isn't in his hands.He'll get easier opportunities when he's on the move, before defenses can load up.

chopchop20
06-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Rebounding, and regression on defense. Any other answers are flat out incorrect.

Miami finished 26th in rebounding differential last year. You can only get so far dealing with that type of disparity on the boards. And the Heat's personnel last season collectively could not defend or execute the defensive system at the level needed to negate the inability to rebound.

Riley and Spoelstra will address these issues this offseason accordingly.

They never scored 100 pts or more, and in 2 games, they scored less than 90. Those are offensive problems.

I understand that getting stops and rebounds to get more possessions factors into this, but still...