PDA

View Full Version : Knee pain is no joke.

305Baller
06-29-2014, 11:48 AM
I was working out yesterday, doing some reps to continue my summer plan to get to as close to peak shape as possible and out of nowhere I started getting a sharp knee pain under my kneecap.

It only bothered me when I jumped. I walked around and stretched and the pain went away but that brief moment of incapacitation (about 10 minutes) made me realize how important it is to play pain free.

Before the pain I was shooting at a torrid 75-85 percent clip on my jumpshots. While I was having discomfort I could not focus enough to make anything, really.

It makes me appreciate what these athletes go through when playing through pain i.e. Dwyane Wade.

It's not easy.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 11:58 AM
I was working out yesterday, doing some reps to continue my summer plan to get to as close to peak shape as possible and out of nowhere I started getting a sharp knee pain under my kneecap.

It only bothered me when I jumped. I walked around and stretched and the pain went away but that brief moment of incapacitation (about 10 minutes) made me realize how important it is to play pain free.

Before the pain I was shooting at a torrid 75-85 percent clip on my jumpshots. While I was having discomfort I could not focus enough to make anything, really.

It makes me appreciate what these athletes go through when playing through pain i.e. Dwyane Wade.

It's not easy.

That's probabaly just patella tendonitis. You can try taping your knee or wearing one of those straps although that just treats the symptoms not the cause. I had that for years and played through it. It was awful. It would kind of "warm up" while I played but afterward I would be so stiff I could barely walk. I went to PT but really the only thing that'll cure it is rest. I didn't play basketball for about six months and it went away and never came back. Although you could just have an acute case and it'll clear up in a few weeks. It's also known as jumper's knee. It's manageable but not fun. Good luck.

jimmy77x
06-29-2014, 12:04 PM

It's not easy.

MRI, could be cartilage issue.

AboutBuckets
06-29-2014, 12:39 PM
You might want to get it checked out if possible. I play a good bit of basketball and volleyball and I've also recently developed knee pain seemingly from overuse. A lot of the symptoms seen in patellar tendinitis are also indications of meniscus damage which rarely goes away with simple rest and is significantly more serious. See a physical therapist/related professional if you can

EDIT: Jimmy77 above nailed it in much less words

tomSR.
06-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Magic Johnson got rid of kneepain by using kneepads.....give it a shot

lilteapot
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM
My knees hurt whenever I play basketball, it sucks.

jstern
06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
This past week I've been pushing myself hard when I played, which has been great, and yesterday I felt a sensation on my right Achilles for a few seconds. It freaked me out, and I completely slowed down. Didn't want to rupture it. That would be disastrous. Dipped my legs in cold water for like 25 minutes, just as an assist to everything.

Also as a teen I always wondered what it's like to be old, and I completely found out at 19 when I broke my leg. I've never been the same, and it severely slowed me down. Pain is no joke. Irritation from screws is no joke.

How much do you guys weight?

GimmeThat
06-29-2014, 01:43 PM
playing through pain is no joke

but the idea to play post surgery is also something quite interesting I'm sure. Especially now thinking/knowing you have a metal in your ankle or things like that.

I'm sure you get used to playing after surgery if the surgery was done properly.

playing through knee pane is probably a little bit like playing while hopping I can only guess.

Knoe Itawl
06-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Interesting this topic came up today. I've been running lately to get in shape but I get sore knees. Yesterday I went hard and wanted to go again today but knees were so sore I had to just walk a couple of miles to get exercise. If I run then I have to be off a day or so before I can do it again.

Bandito
06-29-2014, 02:26 PM
@knoe itawl: Dude dont run everyday. Skip a day so you run at least three times a day and you should be fine.

Swaggin916
06-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Like others have said, sounds like tendinitis. It will go away if you rest/stretch/strengthen muscles in your legs. It happens to almost everyone who is involved in a sport with a lot of jumping or cutting. It's what Ronaldo had and obviously was effecting how he was playing in the group stages.

My knee has never been the same after I kept playing on a knee that had it bad. It probably damaged the cartilage... and it's to a point where the knee will never be the same. I don't have that "empty" feeling that I once had though in my knee. It at least feels somewhat strong and like something is there. But yea for a while there it just felt like that tendon had nothing in it... and it was so damn weak.

ZabuzaZaloog
06-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Magic Johnson got rid of kneepain by using kneepads.....give it a shot
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oly BC
06-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Also as a teen I always wondered what it's like to be old, and I completely found out at 19 when I broke my leg. I've never been the same, and it severely slowed me down. Pain is no joke. Irritation from screws is no joke.

I haven't broken my leg but injuring yourself and just generally seeing your body wear down is terrifying if you stop and think of it.
At this point I just don't.

Op, you should look at your knee. Most likely you'll need to rest for a while and then strengthen your quads to better support it.

gts
06-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Interesting this topic came up today. I've been running lately to get in shape but I get sore knees. Yesterday I went hard and wanted to go again today but knees were so sore I had to just walk a couple of miles to get exercise. If I run then I have to be off a day or so before I can do it again.I found walking half a mile to start out then running helped a bunch, something about getting everything moving before you start pounding on it helps..

Also like Bandito said skip a day, do something else like swimming or tai chi

VengefulAngel
06-29-2014, 02:47 PM
I haven't broken my leg but injuring yourself and just generally seeing your body wear down is terrifying if you stop and think of it.
At this point I just don't.

Op, you should look at your knee. Most likely you'll need to rest for a while and then strengthen your quads to better support it.

Pretty much this.

NugzFan
06-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Before the pain I was shooting at a torrid 75-85 percent clip on my jumpshots. .

riiiight :rolleyes:

Pra
06-29-2014, 04:48 PM
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/patellar-tendinitis/basics/definition/con-20024441

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Interesting this topic came up today. I've been running lately to get in shape but I get sore knees. Yesterday I went hard and wanted to go again today but knees were so sore I had to just walk a couple of miles to get exercise. If I run then I have to be off a day or so before I can do it again.
I am a former basketball player turned distance runner. I would have to see you run but I would guess that your form isn't that good and you are landing on your heels not your fore/midfoot. Try running in shoes without a big heel on them because that makes you land more on your heels which can kinda irritate your knee. If I saw you run I could fix that problem in a snap.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 04:53 PM
@knoe itawl: Dude dont run everyday. Skip a day so you run at least three times a day and you should be fine.
I've run plenty of 100 mile weeks on pavement ( about 15 miles a day) and not gotten injured. The key is running properly. If you learn how to run properly you won't be saddled with injuries.

AboutBuckets
06-29-2014, 05:12 PM

How much do you guys weight?

I'm 5'10, 165 and am 21 years old. Hate that I'm having joint trouble already; whoever said that observing your body deteriorate is horrifying has got it spot on

305Baller
06-29-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm 5'10, 165 and am 21 years old. Hate that I'm having joint trouble already; whoever said that observing your body deteriorate is horrifying has got it spot on

It's true and even as you age it's just a humbling feeling for your body to start eroding. It really makes you think about your own mortality.

305Baller
06-29-2014, 07:24 PM
riiiight :rolleyes:

I think this says more about you than it does about me. Im just shooting around....no defense.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-29-2014, 07:30 PM
That's probabaly just patella tendonitis. You can try taping your knee or wearing one of those straps although that just treats the symptoms not the cause. I had that for years and played through it. It was awful. It would kind of "warm up" while I played but afterward I would be so stiff I could barely walk. I went to PT but really the only thing that'll cure it is rest. I didn't play basketball for about six months and it went away and never came back. Although you could just have an acute case and it'll clear up in a few weeks. It's also known as jumper's knee. It's manageable but not fun. Good luck.

How can you see the only solution is rest? you can't miss games especially when it's your career on the line.

i just used to take meds and manage the pain with my doc and could always play through it no problems. don't be such a sissy.

chocolatethunder
06-29-2014, 07:37 PM
How can you see the only solution is rest? you can't miss games especially when it's your career on the line.

i just used to take meds and manage the pain with my doc and could always play through it no problems. don't be such a sissy.
Where did I say the only solution is rest? I said that I played for years with it and that it only went away when I was unable to play basketball because of another injury. I said that PT and other things treat the symptoms not the cause. You can do things to mitigate the symptoms but if it's chronic and not acute, it won't go away usually without resting it. That doesn't mean it can't be managed, it just means that it's a pain in the ass. I played year round for years with tendonitis in both knees and my achilles and never took meds. You're the sissy here pal, not me.

BTW whose career is on the line? 305 baller is in the NBA? Sweet, I'll look for him next year in that shit city Miami.

NugzFan
06-29-2014, 07:38 PM
I think this says more about you than it does about me. Im just shooting around....no defense.

the only thing it says about me is that i know you are full of shit.

what it says about you: you are full of shit.

making 8 out of 10 shots doenst mean you shoot 85%

305Baller
06-29-2014, 07:44 PM
the only thing it says about me is that i know you are full of shit.

what it says about you: you are full of shit.

making 8 out of 10 shots doenst mean you shoot 85%

Dude. Its not that hard.

Jasper
06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
right now I aggrevated my right hip from last years ski spill...
barely able to put sock on.

NickTheQuick31
06-30-2014, 10:18 AM
I had severe patella tendonitis for years, it hurt so much to get through a game. I tried everything but nothing seemed to help, took 3 months off and it flared straight back up at half time of my first game back.

On advice from a friend I went to a podiatrist. I was fitted for insoles specifically made for my feet to correct my running and landing posture. Six months later the pain had reduced significantly, now two years later I have my sporting career back. I just turned 33 years old, play 3 games of basketball a week, 2 football trainings and a football game with only rare minor pain. I did not go to a gym, I did no leg strengthening exercises just had the insoles made.