PDA

View Full Version : Raps/Hawks in advanced talks for Salmons/Lou Williams deal

D-Rose
06-29-2014, 08:29 PM
‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m
ESPN has learned that Toronto Raptors are in advanced trade discussions to deal John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams. Story going online

@ESPNSteinLine 36s
Hawks can waive Salmons by Monday and pay only $1 million of veteran guard's $7 million salary next season. Raps get quality guard in return

Good move for Toronto.

Dr. Ice
06-29-2014, 08:30 PM
YES! I love you lou, i really do, but it's really time for you to go.

And this gets to clear up cap space for free agency by waiving salmons? GREAT move for atlanta.

flipogb
06-29-2014, 08:31 PM
just in case they lose Lowry, good move

D-Rose
06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Woj makes it official

@WojYahooNBA 1m
Toronto has traded John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams and Bebe Nugiera, source tells Yahoo.

Damn Toronto, there's your 1st round overseas project that's more legit than Bruno.

http://q9ajg3m8r764ux2l1qldhv3k5.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Lucas-Nogueira.png

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Lou is a solid guard off the bench. Always liked him, will be (sort of) sad to see him go.

Ferry is clearing more cap space, I've been saying all along he's up to something, still don't know what exactly but the plan seems to be coming together.

Edit: And Noguiera? I guess the Raps really do have a Brazilian fetish lol

Thunderfan86
06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
I wish we were in advanced talks with just about ANYBODY. :mad:

Dr. Ice
06-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Woj makes it official

@WojYahooNBA 1m
Toronto has traded John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams and Bebe Nugiera, source tells Yahoo.

Lou AND bebe? Hmm...for us to give up on bebe already tells me that ferry and bud weren't too pleased on his growth when they watched him play overseas.

On the bright side i'm now fully certain that the hawks are trying to make a big move this free agency period

J-Futuristic
06-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Smh why nobody is coming here. Our biggest off season move will be Luol freaking Deng.

Black and White
06-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Woj makes it official

Damn Toronto, there's your 1st round overseas project that's more legit than Bruno.

http://q9ajg3m8r764ux2l1qldhv3k5.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Lucas-Nogueira.png

I can't believe he actually put the hat on :oldlol:

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Lou AND bebe? Hmm...for us to give up on bebe already tells me that ferry and bud weren't too pleased on his growth when they watched him play overseas.

On the bright side i'm now fully certain that the hawks are trying to make a big move this free agency period

He's definitely a developmental prospect right now. Not really ready for the league physically.

He also has ****ed up knees, not a good sign for your 21 year old 7 footer.

That being said, like all young raw 7 footers, the potential is there for him to be really good somewhere down the road. To throw him into a trade like this shows me Ferry is serious about clearing cap space to make whatever move it is that he's planning.

JohnMax
06-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Highlight of Bebe's young career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHE6h76vosI

DStebb716
06-29-2014, 08:47 PM
That's a pretty terrible move for the Hawks. Luol Deng is the best player they could possibly attract this offseason.

Meticode
06-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Wow, Toronto cut their cap space, got a rotational player in Williams and a decent young player in Bebe. Win-win for them.

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 08:50 PM
That's a pretty terrible move for the Hawks. Luol Deng is the best player they could possibly attract this offseason.

Maybe, but you're never going to make the surprise splash move if you don't even try. :confusedshrug:

Also, the Hawks will be a top 4 team in the East with a healthy Horford and Deng, there are worse fates.

Hotlantadude81
06-29-2014, 08:50 PM

Why Lou isn't all that good. He is a decent scorer off the bench and nothing more. He has contributed very little in his two years here and his game doesn't fit.

D-Rose
06-29-2014, 08:51 PM
They could sign Hayward, Parsons, Bledsoe, etc to max offer sheets.

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Why Lou isn't all that good. He is a decent scorer off the bench and nothing more. He has contributed very little in his two years here and his game doesn't fit.

Yep, he's a no defense chucker, unfortunately he doesn't shoot the 3 well enough for Bud to want to keep him around.

Not a bad guy to bring off the bench, especially if you don't have a lot of scorers, but it's not a big loss.

Hotlantadude81
06-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Yep, he's a no defense chucker, unfortunately he doesn't shoot the 3 well enough for Bud to want to keep him around.

Not a bad guy to bring off the bench, especially if you don't have a lot of scorers, but it's not a big loss.

I had no issue with him until I saw him play here. He is not that good. A decent scorer, but he is not the explosive scorer that a Mano or a Jamal Crawford can be.

Qwyjibo
06-29-2014, 08:55 PM
If Lowry stays, then the Raptors probably now let Vasquez walk. Williams would be the backup PG as well as getting occasional minutes alongside Lowry.

If Lowry leaves, they probably try to re-sign Vasquez and hope that a Vasquez/Williams PG duo does not suck too much.

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I had no issue with him until I saw him play here. He is not that good. A decent scorer, but he is not the explosive scorer that a Mano or a Jamal Crawford can be.

He's a poor man's Crawford. His iso-ball style doesn't jive with what Bud wants to do so he was expendable.

Def not saying this trade was a 'win' for us but if Ferry wanted to clear some cap space, this wasn't an awful way to do it.

Hotlantadude81
06-29-2014, 08:57 PM
He's a poor man's Crawford. His iso-ball style doesn't jive with what Bud wants to do so he was expendable.

Def not saying this trade was a 'win' for us but if Ferry wanted to clear some cap space, this wasn't an awful way to do it.

Word has it that the team has been holding voluntary workouts and Lou Williams is the only player that does not attend. So he knew his time was about up.

I think maybe I expected too much when he was signed last year. I sort of expected him to blow up like JC did in his first season here. That was one of Crawford's top 2 or 3 seasons in the league.

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 08:58 PM
If Lowry stays, then the Raptors probably now let Vasquez walk. Williams would be the backup PG as well as getting occasional minutes alongside Lowry.

If Lowry leaves, they probably try to re-sign Vasquez and hope that a Vasquez/Williams PG duo does not suck too much.

I actually like Vasquez more than most people, but I wouldn't expect Lou to run the offense. He provides some instant offense, albeit very efficiently, and not much else.

Qwyjibo
06-29-2014, 09:00 PM
I actually like Vasquez more than most people, but I wouldn't expect Lou to run the offense. He provides some instant offense, albeit very efficiently, and not much else.
I'm sure Vasquez would be the starter by default but wouldn't be the type that gets 32-35 MPG. More like Vasquez 26-28 and Williams 20-22, in terms of PG minutes.

Dr. Ice
06-29-2014, 09:03 PM

Trust me, you don't want lou as backup pg.

See that was the whole problem with lou this year on the hawks. When we put him at sg he'd be slighlty effective yet give it all up on the defensive end due to being so little. When we put him at pg not only did his defense continue to suck but he ALSO showed that he can't run an offense, atleast not the hawks' offense anyways.

Interested to see how the raptors will use him

atljonesbro
06-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Lots of CAP space. Ferry makin moves. Get it done

qrich
06-29-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm sure Vasquez would be the starter by default but wouldn't be the type that gets 32-35 MPG. More like Vasquez 26-28 and Williams 20-22, in terms of PG minutes.

Think they'll spend time together on the court?

Pistol Pete
06-29-2014, 09:21 PM

I think the plan is for both Lowry and Vazquez to sign, and Lou Williams play all his minutes at the 2, with Vazquez at the 1. On defense, Vazquez is big enough to guard (not well obviously) the 2 position, and Williams can slide over to the 1.

Regardless, I think this trade is mostly about acquiring Bebe, for Bruno, for his appeal as a project, it was good to turn Salmons' contract into two assets when they were never using their cap space this offseason, and they still retain flexibility for next year. I love the deal from the Raptors perspective. From the Hawks perspective, it's all TBD on what they can attract in free agency, on the surface, it's obviously awful until they are able to sign someone.

bagelred
06-29-2014, 09:26 PM
After examining this trade in detail...I have no comment.

Done_And_Done
06-29-2014, 09:32 PM
And Massai continues to Flex his muscle as one of the most assertive gm's in league. Lou is a force off the bench and a welcomed addition to our team. He'll instantly be our best scoring punch off the pine.

Have high hopes for Bebe as well. I recall reading plenty of complimentary articles about him prior to him getting draft last year.

paytonfan
06-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Here's my take. Hawk's about to max offer Heyward or Parsons! I know that seems a crazy thing long term but if they manage to nab either one they will have a top 3 team in the East NOW! If they stayed the course long term no way they have a brighter future than the 76ers and who no what else happens out East..... the time to strike is now! A starting team of Horford, Millsap, Heyward or Parsons, Korver & Teague has a very good chance of taking this franchise further than they've ever gone in the playoffs... something that is important to building a history/culture. If Ferry gets it done good on him. Sure this might seem like a bad move in 4 years if it doesn't work but who really want's to stay the course as a 6-8 seed. Better to have a few good/great seasons then tank!

No Evans!
06-29-2014, 09:47 PM
And Massai continues to Flex his muscle as one of the most assertive gm's in league. Lou is a force off the bench and a welcomed addition to our team. He'll instantly be our best scoring punch off the pine.

Have high hopes for Bebe as well. I recall reading plenty of complimentary articles about him prior to him getting draft last year.

Calm down. This isn't 2011. Greivis is a better 6th man.

SpecialQue
06-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Salmons is fvcking incredible. I honestly think he'll be a game changer.

Done_And_Done
06-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Calm down. This isn't 2011. Greivis is a better 6th man.

I will not calm down lol. Don't let an injury plagued season clog your opinions. Lou still has 6th man of the year potential in him if things work out as hoped. His offense ability shunt be written off thus yet. I have no doubts that the guy can still fill up the stat sheet off the pine.

Done_And_Done
06-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Salmons is fvcking incredible. I honestly think he'll be a game changer.

That's the only downside about this transaction from a Raptor standpoint :rolleyes:

Twiens
06-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Masai :bowdown:

hangintheair
06-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Raps collecting those RAW Brazilian talent.

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Here's my take. Hawk's about to max offer Heyward or Parsons! I know that seems a crazy thing long term but if they manage to nab either one they will have a top 3 team in the East NOW! If they stayed the course long term no way they have a brighter future than the 76ers and who no what else happens out East..... the time to strike is now! A starting team of Horford, Millsap, Heyward or Parsons, Korver & Teague has a very good chance of taking this franchise further than they've ever gone in the playoffs... something that is important to building a history/culture. If Ferry gets it done good on him. Sure this might seem like a bad move in 4 years if it doesn't work but who really want's to stay the course as a 6-8 seed. Better to have a few good/great seasons then tank!

I just don't know that those guys are worth max money or even close to it....

We'll see what Ferry does, I agree that with a good offseason, (and some luck with health for once) the Hawks have a real shot at making the ECF next year.

MC Gusto
06-29-2014, 10:30 PM

Lou is in no way, shape or form a point guard. That's the reason why his ass just got traded.

Qwyjibo
06-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Lou is in no way, shape or form a point guard. That's the reason why his ass just got traded.
Backup PG in limited minutes (if Lowry comes back), he's absolutely acceptable as that.

Done_And_Done
06-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Backup PG in limited minutes (if Lowry comes back), he's absolutely acceptable as that.

Surely over the course of an 82 game season he can take the reigns at the point on a 'limited' basis, so I agree with Qwy. Nobody's saying Lou is more suited at the 1 here but he's not completely inept. With the said, everyone knows Lou fits best as a scoring combo guard off the bench.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-29-2014, 10:51 PM
I like it. Salmons is awful

No Evans!
06-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Raptors fans, you don't want Lou Williams to run the point. Not for 2 mins or 22 mins. Let Lou be Lou.

longtime lurker
06-29-2014, 11:16 PM
I will not calm down lol. Don't let an injury plagued season clog your opinions. Lou still has 6th man of the year potential in him if things work out as hoped. His offense ability shunt be written off thus yet. I have no doubts that the guy can still fill up the stat sheet off the pine.

This. Lou is very good as a scorer off the bench. Something the Raptors have sorely needed. I think this means that Vasquez might be gone, not necessarily that the Raptors want to let go of Lowry. Although Vasquez and Williams off the bench would make a perfect pairing.

Dr. Ice
06-29-2014, 11:18 PM

Lol, someone clearly never watched a hawks game

coin24
06-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Who do the hawks actually plan on signing??

El Kabong
06-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Worst comes and they don't, they've still got capspace to work out trades. Could do a Jazz style salary dump and get a few draft picks for it type deal.

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 11:55 PM

Well we desperately need a wing, and there are some relatively big time FA's out there who would fill that need.

Melo - Pipedream obviously.

Hayward - Haven't really heard us linked to him, he does sort of seem like a good fit for the system but I don't see him leaving Utah.

Parsons - I don't feel great about giving him a huge deal, seems like more of a 3rd option who's going to get paid like a 1st option.

Ariza - Doesn't seem like a Coach Bud kind of guy. At least I hope that's how Ferry sees him.

Deng - Older than these other guys, but probably the best fit for our system.

Out of all those guys I'd put my money on going after Deng, hopefully not too big of a contract.

atljonesbro
06-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Lmao. Please, watch a hawks game once in a while. You're absolutely deluded if you even want him running the point for a minute

Milbuck
06-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Did Lou Williams suck ass after his return or what? Because I remember him being a pretty good player, don't know why the Hawks would do this..

MC Gusto
06-30-2014, 01:16 AM
You clearly haven't seen Lou play much. If Lou can't chuck at will, Lou is gonna suck. He's basically a smaller, streakier version of Jamal Crawford.

MC Gusto
06-30-2014, 01:21 AM
Did Lou Williams suck ass after his return or what? Because I remember him being a pretty good player, don't know why the Hawks would do this..
He was forced to play the point in Atlanta because he was the smallest and worst defender out of our 700 million midget guards, which was a disaster because he actually had to have a conscience about when to shoot.

Legends66NBA7
06-30-2014, 01:59 AM
Good move for Toronto.

http://media.giphy.com/media/FjeGBljESVAzu/giphy.gif

And what the hell is everyone talking about Lou not being able to run PG ?

Read what Q is saying, he's capable for playing in LIMITED minutes. He's not going to be running it for anything else but that, especially not in the Horns offense Casey is running. I don't care, though. Getting rid of Salmons was an absolute MUST. Both get an expiring contract but the Raps get a younger player and a possibly stop gap if Lowry decides to leave. We also have De Colo possibly returning too (6 PG's on the roster :oldlol: ).

Legends66NBA7
06-30-2014, 02:04 AM
Also, this Lucas Nogueria dude is now the back up C. Legit 7 footer. Damn, we killed 2 birds with 1 stone here.

The only players who are over 30 years old on the roster is Chuck Hayes and Steve Novak and they won't even see much playing time, depending if were going to being Nogueria right away. I'm hoping we do, so much youth and potential on this squad.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-30-2014, 03:05 AM
Also, this Lucas Nogueria dude is now the back up C. Legit 7 footer. Damn, we killed 2 birds with 1 stone here.

The only players who are over 30 years old on the roster is Chuck Hayes and Steve Novak and they won't even see much playing time, depending if were going to being Nogueria right away. I'm hoping we do, so much youth and potential on this squad.
Was a mid first round pick just a year ago :cheers:

Legends66NBA7
06-30-2014, 03:12 AM
Was a mid first round pick just a year ago :cheers:

I checked his scouting report and other highlights. His upside seems promising. I like that he runs the floor up and down very well, like Valanciunas does. Off course, he needs to bulk up, but that comes with time. Same with the rest of his weaknesses.

The only thing I didn't like reading was the "red flags". Apparently, he might lack a motor for the game. Has skipped workouts, questioned work ethic. Hope it's not the case when he comes here; I'm hoping the veterans chew him out about that.

atljonesbro
06-30-2014, 08:11 AM

Read what Q is saying, he's capable for playing in LIMITED minutes. He's not going to be running it for anything else but that, especially not in the Horns offense Casey is running. I don't care, though. Getting rid of Salmons was an absolute MUST. Both get an expiring contract but the Raps get a younger player and a possibly stop gap if Lowry decides to leave. We also have De Colo possibly returning too (6 PG's on the roster :oldlol: ).
If you really want him playing even limited minutes at pg gl with that lmao. Have fun with him dribbling the shot clock down to 5 seconds constantly.

When lou isn't hot he is pretty much useless. Don't get your hopes up about him

Richesly
06-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Lou honestly did okay when he was on the court as the 1. He just wasn't comfortable. Bud's system literally had him ****ed up. He was like a blind dog out there. But he ran plays decently, just did not play by the system.

Both teams win in this trade, good for them.

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2014, 10:32 AM
I checked his scouting report and other highlights. His upside seems promising. I like that he runs the floor up and down very well, like Valanciunas does. Off course, he needs to bulk up, but that comes with time. Same with the rest of his weaknesses.

The only thing I didn't like reading was the "red flags". Apparently, he might lack a motor for the game. Has skipped workouts, questioned work ethic. Hope it's not the case when he comes here; I'm hoping the veterans chew him out about that.

He also has had a couple of knee surgeries already, not good for a 21 year old 7 footer.

Also most Hawks fans in here are ripping apart Lou just to feel like we 'won' the trade, Lou is still a good bench player and will help the Raptors. Nobody is saying he's great, but he definitely fills a role and presumably a need for the Raps, particularly if Lowry leaves.

atljonesbro
06-30-2014, 10:41 AM
He also has had a couple of knee surgeries already, not good for a 21 year old 7 footer.

Also most Hawks fans in here are ripping apart Lou just to feel like we 'won' the trade, Lou is still a good bench player and will help the Raptors. Nobody is saying he's great, but he definitely fills a role and presumably a need for the Raps, particularly if Lowry leaves.
No, I'm telling the honest truth. Lou Williams have a stretch where he scores 8-10 points in like 3 minutes then all his other minutes will be pretty bad. You also DO NOT want him running point.

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2014, 11:01 AM
No, I'm telling the honest truth. Lou Williams have a stretch where he scores 8-10 points in like 3 minutes then all his other minutes will be pretty bad. You also DO NOT want him running point.

He is what he is, a guy you bring in off the bench to put up shots and score some buckets.

He doesn't really fit in Atlanta anymore, but that doesn't make him a bad player.

Sakkreth
06-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Probably good move for both teams, unless Nogueira is hidden gem.

Cactus-Sack
06-30-2014, 11:19 AM

I hope for your sake he doesn't. I just about came when we got Daye for hime and I don't really care for Daye.

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Williams struggled after coming back from his injury, but he should be healthy next year.

He's not a point guard, but he also isn't a ball stopper on offense.

He can iso and get hot and when he does he can help his team on offense. Otherwise, he's nothing special on offense.

On defense, being so small is a liability.

But he is an expirer, so if he doesn't work out then the Raptors can always re-swap him out again at the trade deadline.

I am bummed we gave up on Nogueira. That could turn out to be a horrible mistake.

bk33
06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Lou can't run offense is suppose to be a big deal? :oldlol: we don't need steve nash coming off the bench for us, a gunner that score buckets is good enough, I don't care if he runs offense like a '07 Barbosa as long as he scores.

Done_And_Done
06-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Thank you for being objective sir...

atljonesbro
06-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Thank you for being objective sir...
Is he objective because he's only saying what you want to hear?

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Is he objective because he's only saying what you want to hear?

No I'm objective because I'm not a belligerent, foaming-at-the-mouth homer.

atljonesbro
06-30-2014, 04:05 PM
No I'm objective because I'm not a belligerent, foaming-at-the-mouth homer.
How is my analysis off? You're trying way to hard to be "the reasonable fan". Lou Williams will have a stretch of where he scores 8-10 points in like 3 minutes and the rest of his minutes will be pretty bad. That's Lou.

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2014, 04:24 PM
How is my analysis off? You're trying way to hard to be "the reasonable fan". Lou Williams will have a stretch of where he scores 8-10 points in like 3 minutes and the rest of his minutes will be pretty bad. That's Lou.

Lou wasn't very good last year, he doesn't fit in our new system. Some of that probably also has to do with the fact that he was coming off an injury. However he's still the same guy who averaged 15ppg in 25 minutes a couple of years ago. You know what he is, he's a chucker, and a lot of teams need one of those on their second unit.

This is exactly what I've already said in here.

Legends66NBA7
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
If you really want him playing even limited minutes at pg gl with that lmao. Have fun with him dribbling the shot clock down to 5 seconds constantly.

When lou isn't hot he is pretty much useless. Don't get your hopes up about him

I don't expect to get my hopes about Williams. He's a rental player at this point. The upside about this deal was getting mid-round pick. Getting rid of the suckage that was John Salmons is the biggest thing for the Raptors in this deal.

Yeah, that sucks to hear. The potential I see in him is to be a good rim protector and get offensive rebounds. Kinda of a hybrid of Larry Sanders and Omer Asik.

Both teams did fine in this deal, really. Hawks get more cap space next year, Raps get younger and still maintain more than enough cap space for next year.

Lou can't run offense is suppose to be a big deal? :oldlol: we don't need steve nash coming off the bench for us, a gunner that score buckets is good enough, I don't care if he runs offense like a '07 Barbosa as long as he scores.

Pretty much.

no pun intended
06-30-2014, 09:23 PM
First Caboclo, now Nogueira? lmao wtf is the Toronto's perpetual obsession with foreign players