PDA

View Full Version : White Defenders

Noyze
06-30-2014, 06:13 AM
Since John Stockton, was talking with a friend and we couldn't come up with hardly any. The only one I could think of off the top of my head was Andrei Kirilenko. Would like some names of any above average white defenders please. What about before Stockton too?

LilKateMoss
06-30-2014, 06:19 AM
In b4 Kirilenko isn't white, he's Russian.

Real14
06-30-2014, 06:22 AM
In b4 Kirilenko isn't white, he's Russian.
but this iz correct tho:confusedshrug:

stephanieg
06-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Kirk Heinrich, Bobby Jones, Jerry West, Havlicek, half of Jason Kidd.

Lots of good big white defenders, but it doesn't exactly take a lot of athleticism, just size and smarts. Bill Walton, Mark Eaton, McHale, etc.

Real14
06-30-2014, 06:27 AM

Lots of good big white defenders, but it doesn't exactly take a lot of athleticism, just size and smarts. Bill Walton, Mark Eaton, McHale, etc.
Still don't count:no:

JohnFreeman
06-30-2014, 06:29 AM
Mark Eaton, Kurt Rambis

Noyze
06-30-2014, 06:30 AM

Only counts if the daddy is white.

Real14
06-30-2014, 06:31 AM
Only counts if the daddy is white.
:applause:

DJ Leon Smith
06-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Since John Stockton, was talking with a friend and we couldn't come up with hardly any. The only one I could think of off the top of my head was Andrei Kirilenko. Would like some names of any above average white defenders please. What about before Stockton too?

Retired guys: Jerry West, Jerry Sloan, Dan Majerle, Mark Eaton, Bobby Jones.

Current guys: Andrew Bogut, Marc Gasol.

That's just off the top of my head. There's heaps of other examples.

j3lademaster
06-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Omer Asik, Marc Gasol are very good in the current league. McHale used to D up the more athletic big swingmen like Nique. Best white perimeter defender I've seen if AK47 doesn't count. I'm sure you can dig up a plethora from the 50's/ 60's.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-30-2014, 06:40 AM
Off the top of my head: Hinrich, Bogut, Marc Gasol, Asik, Jerry West, Bill Walton, Kirilenko

JonatanRey
06-30-2014, 06:40 AM
Right to my mind: AK47, Hinrich, Marc, Birdman.

Battier is white?

NumberSix
06-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Didn't Marc Gasol JUST recently win a DPOY? Isn't Noah like 3/4 white?

Real14
06-30-2014, 06:47 AM
Didn't Marc Gasol JUST recently win a DPOY? Isn't Noah like 3/4 white?
nope he aint white:no:

NumberSix
06-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Then what is he?

JonatanRey
06-30-2014, 06:50 AM
His mum was Miss Sweden. I would at least consider him 1/4 white.

Real14
06-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Then what is he?
tiny bit white which don't make him overall white especially since his dad wasn't white

Sakkreth
06-30-2014, 07:33 AM

There is hardly any blacks in the league then.

masonanddixon
06-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Right now there are quite a few above-average to elite white defensive players in the West alone

Gasol, Bogut, JJ Reddick, Asik, R Lopez, Gallinari, Ginobli, Splitter, Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Nick Collison, Dragic, Rubio,

Then there's Gortat, Kirilenko, Hinrich and many others I am missing right now.

JohnFreeman
06-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Right now there are quite a few above-average to elite white defensive players in the West alone

Gasol, Bogut, JJ Reddick, Asik, R Lopez, Gallinari, Ginobli, Splitter, Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Nick Collison, Dragic, Rubio,

Then there's Gortat, Kirilenko, Hinrich and many others I am missing right now.
:biggums:

dude77
06-30-2014, 07:59 AM
tiny bit white which don't make him overall white especially since his dad wasn't white

lol you mean he looks black so he's black .. his dad is just like him .. mixed .. his mother is white .. he's actually more white than black

and how do you figure kirilenko isn't white ? :confusedshrug:

masonanddixon
06-30-2014, 07:59 AM

What are you confused about? He's a very good defensive player. Dude is always in the right position at the right time.

AintNoSunshine
06-30-2014, 08:11 AM

Why is it that everytime you see something stupid you jump to agreeing with it as if you don't think everyone else already know you're stupid?:facepalm How the hell is Kirilenko not white?

SexSymbol
06-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Noah, Jason Kidd, Battier are white, just tanned.
Hinrich, Kirilenko are two of the best defenders ever
Birdman, Marc Gasol, Pekovic, Bogut, Pau, Gortat, Mike Miller, Hayward, Rubio are at least above average or were.
Dragic can defend too, Parsons, Asik, Kaman, Vucevic can too, Ginobili could back in the day.
Shit, even Blake Griffin is a better defender that he's given credit for now

NumberSix
06-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Why is it that everytime you see something stupid you jump to agreeing with it as if you don't think everyone else already know you're stupid?:facepalm How the hell is Kirilenko not white?
Troll gonna troll

Smook A.
06-30-2014, 08:25 AM
His mom is definitely white and his dad is mixed I think

OmniStrife
06-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Dragic is an above-average defender.

SexSymbol
06-30-2014, 08:26 AM
His mom is full white and his dad is mixed I think
It doesn't matter in any way, if your skin colour is white, you're white, ala Blake Griffin.
That's not debatable

ralph_i_el
06-30-2014, 09:04 AM
It doesn't matter in any way, if your skin colour is white, you're white, ala Blake Griffin.
That's not debatable
In america people don't see it like that. Baisiclly you're black unless you're 1/16th black or less. I'm not saying its right I'm just saying that's how people see it in my experience.

SHAQisGOAT
06-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Only came up with Stockton? :biggums:

Imo, the two very best (at their peak) are:

Bobby Jones - 6'9'' w/o shoes, very long and lanky, great athlete, smart with great instincts, had the fundamentals and the awareness, gave everything he had and always went about his business... Great, clean but tough, m2m defender that could defend any type of forwards, even some guards and some centers, and also a great team/help defender, racking up steals/blocks too. Lots of impact.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NxCr-3L8J4

Bill Walton - Not only a really good all-around offensive player and great rebounder but also just a great defensive player... Almost 7', pretty mobile and strong, IQ or just simply overall intangibles off the charts, great team defender, great paint-protector and could also guard his man. Just tremendous defensive impact.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmxRIEyBiXo

If the DPOY was awarded back in the day, those two would've had one in their trophy case. Ofc, as far as longevity Jones got Bill so I'd call him the best white defender ever overall, although as far as peaks I'd probably pick Walton, as he was a center too.

Others at the top (no particular order):

Eaton
West
DeBusschere
Cowens
Hondo
McHale
Sikma
Kirilenko
Gasol
Stockton
Hinrich
Bird
Buse

Some of those guys get really underrated though, like DeBusschere, Sikma, Cowens, Hondo... Even Bobby Jones in all-time great defenders lists, dude's like a top5 defensive forward EVER, not just white or whatever, similar for Walton.

Dresta
06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
There are loads.

dannywpt
06-30-2014, 10:14 AM
AK47 was a BEAST

JohnMax
06-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Society does not consider mixed race people White.

Derek Jeter battled racism while growing up in Michigan, but the Yankees’ shortstop believes it helped shape him into the person he is.

“You’d go places and get stares; if you were just with one of your parents, people would give you a double-take because something just didn’t seem right,” Jeter told Barbara Walters during an extensive interview, parts of which were aired during Wednesday night’s “10 Most Fascinating People of 2011” special.

“You’d hear some things, whispers when you walk in, laughs,” said Jeter, whose mother is white and father is black. “It also taught you that there are people that were uneducated in terms of different races.”

Walters asked, “Was the N-word ever used?”

“It was, yeah,” Jeter said. “Kids would say it; you’d hear it. It would bother you and annoy you, make you feel bad.

“It also taught me a lot. It taught me how I didn’t want to be, that I needed to learn about different people as opposed to just judging them.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-derek-jeter-shows-barbara-walters-black-white-interview-tv-special-article-1.991791

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Eaton was hardly smart. They taught him to keep his arms in the air. He had a hard time following the ball around the court.

andgar923
06-30-2014, 11:32 AM
There are loads.

yup

Defense is about determination and toughness, not athleticism. One also needs to have a high IQ, knowing your rotations and the opposing team's schemes and habits. There's more to defense than simple jumping high or being quick.

Some of the best defenders of this generation have actually been sub par athletes (Bowen, Battier, Artest).

People forget that Ehlo was usually assigned to guard the top wing players as a Cav, same with Hornacek, Ainge, Chapman, Majerle etc. They were usually selected over their more athletic teammates to guard the top wing players due to their toughness, grit, determination.

tmacattack33
06-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Doug Christie?

Or is he only half white?

Marchesk
06-30-2014, 11:45 AM
It doesn't matter in any way, if your skin colour is white,

Only albinos have white skin color. "White" people aren't really white. It's just a label. Irish and Jewish people used to not be included. It's really a big tent of various mixes of ethnicities that don't look like other ethnicities from Asia, Africa, N. America, etc.

Here's a question for you. Are Arabs "white"? Persians?

Dro
06-30-2014, 11:47 AM
No, its not.....

SHAQisGOAT
06-30-2014, 11:48 AM
yup

Defense is about determination and toughness, not athleticism. One also needs to have a high IQ, knowing your rotations and the opposing team's schemes and habits. There's more to defense than simple jumping high or being quick.

Some of the best defenders of this generation have actually been sub par athletes (Bowen, Battier, Artest).

People forget that Ehlo was usually assigned to guard the top wing players as a Cav, same with Hornacek, Ainge, Chapman, Majerle etc. They were usually selected over their more athletic teammates to guard the top wing players due to their toughness, grit, determination.

Well said but can't deny that athleticisim certainly gives "an edge" on the defensive end... Even the best white defender ever (at least on the perimeter) was just a great athlete (Bobby Jones). Larry Bird, when "forced" to play more as a SF in his late 20's, couldn't be an elite defender due to lateral quickness, even though he more than made up for it in other aspects, and was a great team defender who was very smart and gave it all, a good post-defender and an above average on-ball defender on the perimeter, mostly before injuries, especially in his younger years when he was doing a really good job against Erving and such...
But I see your point and agree.

Noyze
06-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Doug Christie?

Or is he only half white?
This might actually count cause I think his mom is black.

Mass Debator
06-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Tim Duncan

Real14
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
There is hardly any blacks in the league then.

Real14
06-30-2014, 12:09 PM
lol you mean he looks black so he's black .. his dad is just like him .. mixed .. his mother is white .. he's actually more white than black

and how do you figure kirilenko isn't white ? :confusedshrug:
that means his dad iz black then which means joakim iz black too no matter how you mix it:no:

Real14
06-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Im stupid? but you stay having a damn LeBron avatar:biggums: and yes kirlenko iz not really white cuz he's Russian which makes him pink.

Bodhi
06-30-2014, 12:14 PM
White players are selfish and tend to only care about their own numbers. They just aren't interested in playing fundamentally sound defense

Heavincent
06-30-2014, 12:15 PM
What a stupid ****ing thread.

dude77
06-30-2014, 12:20 PM
that means his dad iz black then which means joakim iz black too no matter how you mix it:no:

no .. his father is mixed .. his father's mother is white .. joakim's mother is white .. joakim is mixed .. he has a lot of white in him .. he's more white than black which is why your statement that 'he has a little bit of white in him' is inaccurate .. it's the other way around .. he by no means is a 'white man' but to say he only has a tiny bit of white is retarded ..

Im stupid? but you stay having a damn LeBron avatar:biggums: and yes kirlenko iz not really white cuz he's Russian which makes him light pink.

:oldlol: oh oh .. you're trolling .. nevermind

andgar923
06-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Well said but can't deny that athleticisim certainly gives "an edge" on the defensive end... Even the best white defender ever (at least on the perimeter) was just a great athlete (Bobby Jones). Larry Bird, when "forced" to play more as a SF in his late 20's, couldn't be an elite defender due to lateral quickness, even though he more than made up for it in other aspects, and was a great team defender who was very smart and gave it all, a good post-defender and an above average on-ball defender on the perimeter, mostly before injuries, especially in his younger years when he was doing a really good job against Erving and such...
But I see your point and agree.

Oh naturally, athleticism mos def helps. And this is where hand checking and tough physical defense makes a big difference. It allows slower defenders an opportunity to be more effective defenders.

A bad athlete can still be a good team defender, but may not be as good on the ball. But you add hand checking into the mix and now he's a very competent and competitive defender.

The one thing all the players I mentioned had in common was their ability to anticipate as well.

CavaliersFTW
06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Jerry West and Bobby Jones were incredible all-time great defenders. They were white.

FatComputerNerd
06-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Is Anderson Varejao White?

Johnny Jones
06-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Europeans aren't white

Sarcastic
06-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Noah's dad is French, so he's not really black either.

RR#9
06-30-2014, 03:56 PM
This thread is so confusing

NumberSix
06-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Noah's dad is French, so he's not really black either.
Half French.