PDA

View Full Version : Which Free Agent Should Your Team Make A Run For?

rufuspaul
06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Free Agency begins tomorrow. Realistically, who should your team target? For me I think the Hornets should go after Chandler Parsons. His outside shooting and size would be a huge bonus to the post play of Big Al and help take the scoring load off of Kemba so he can focus more on ball distribution. He's restricted so Houston can match any offer, but if the Rockets are serious about going after Melo or Lebron they might not want to offer big money to Parsons.

Who you got?

Jasper
06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Bucks Gortec from Washington.

Heat can have Sanders :D

Meticode
06-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Sign a decent small forward and do a trade involving either Varejao and Jack or both. to sure-up the front court.

Derka
06-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Gortat is the only one who really interests me and unlike every other free agent ever, he might consider playing in Boston...but I don't see him leaving Washington since they can pay him the most and these are the best money-making years he's going to have.

Shade8780
06-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Gortat, Monroe, Sanders and Parsons. I think Parsons is a better option than Green at SF and we can then trade him to somewhere like Cleveland for a future pick.

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
A starting/rotation caliber veteran pg or combo guard not named John Lucas.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-30-2014, 10:28 AM
New York Knicks: Trevor Ariza

Combat Wombat
06-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Lakers: Kyle Lowry and Ariza/Deng/Monroe (Prefer Monroe out of the 3)

JohnFreeman
06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Livingston

Smook A.
06-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Houston is already making a run for Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James and Kevin Love. Obviously I would shit my pants if we got one of them but since it's a longshot I'd probably want my team to make a run for a guy like Kyle Lowry.

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:18 AM
hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens):

Hawks get

Andrea Bargnani (expirer)

Knicks get

John Jenkins (team option - rookie contract)
Mike Muscala (team option - rookie contract)

The Hawks get a big who can shoot the three and spread the floor for Teague, Mack, Schroeder. Korver on one side of the three point line, Bargnani on the other makes it easier for Teague to get to the rim.

The Hawks still would have over 7 million in cap space left to go after another wing (Sefolosha, Granger, Stuckey).

boozehound
06-30-2014, 11:18 AM
pistons- Deng, Parsons, Lance, P.J. Tucker in that order. I would like to see an actual PG on the team, but with jennings still here I think our most pressing need is a starting caliber wing.

Random_Guy
06-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Houston is already making a run for Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James and Kevin Love. Obviously I would shit my pants if we got one of them but since it's a longshot I'd probably want my team to make a run for a guy like Kyle Lowry.
houston needs to rid itself of harden

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:23 AM
pistons- Deng, Parsons, Lance, P.J. Tucker in that order. I would like to see an actual PG on the team, but with jennings still here I think our most pressing need is a starting caliber wing.

How about Ariza?

Smook A.
06-30-2014, 11:25 AM
houston needs to rid itself of harden
There are a couple rumors that Knicks and Rockets are talking a sign & trade. James Harden to New York and Melo to Houston

nightprowler10
06-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Melo or Love.

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Sign a decent small forward and do a trade involving either Varejao and Jack or both. to sure-up the front court.

Why would any decent small forward want to sit on the bench behind Wiggins and Bennett (when he swings to small forward)?

More realistic to get a D-Leaguer looking to break in, rather than a Danny Granger type.

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:40 AM
The Hawks also could make a run at Pau Gasol (2 years, $24 million) and still have enough cap space to sign Thabo Sefolosha (2 years, $6 million).

Uncle Drew
06-30-2014, 11:41 AM
I'd love Ariza or Parsons and Gortat.

Uncle Drew
06-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Why would any decent small forward want to sit on the bench behind Wiggins and Bennett (when he swings to small forward)?

More realistic to get a D-Leaguer looking to break in, rather than a Danny Granger type.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Wiggins will get 30-32 minutes.
Bennett will get 12-15 minutes (and his other 12-15 minutes will come at power forward).

So what decent small forward is going to want to scrounge for the leftovers?

:biggums:

Uncle Drew
06-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Wiggins will get 30-32 minutes.
Bennett will get 12-15 minutes (and his other 12-15 minutes will come at power forward).

So what decent small forward is going to want to scrounge for the leftovers?

:biggums:
Bennett isn't a SF you idiot.

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Bennett isn't a SF you idiot.

He's a tweener.
He'll play some small forward when the Cavs go to a big lineup.

Right now the Cavs have a jam at power forward since Bennett and Thompson need their minutes.

Uncle Drew
06-30-2014, 11:56 AM
He's a tweener.
He'll play some small forward when the Cavs go to a big lineup.

Right now the Cavs have a jam at power forward since Bennett and Thompson need their minutes.
:sleeping

You'd only have to watch one minute of Bennett to see he's no SF. Cut the crap.

hawkfan
06-30-2014, 11:58 AM
:sleeping

You'd only have to watch one minute of Bennett to see he's no SF. Cut the crap.

Last year the Cavs intended to play Bennett and Thompson alongside each other.

Uncle Drew
06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Last year the Cavs intended to play Bennett and Thompson alongside each other.
*sigh*

They didn't intend shit. He's a PF, easy as that. How about you start watching a game of a certain player before you're trying to make a point about him, huh?

DMAVS41
06-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Ariza/Deng are the two obvious choices for the Mavs. And we obviously need a sf.

My sleeper player I wish we would target is Avery Bradley. I think he'd fit in very well with Harris/Ellis/Carter assuming Harris/Carter are coming back.

We had 55 minutes combined between Calderon and Carter in the playoffs per game. And that was with Harris playing 25 (probably his ideal) and Ellis playing 36 (his ideal).

So while we definitely need a solid wing player, shooter, defender like an Ariza or Deng. I'm not sure I would go too far with that depending on value.

Avery Bradley would fit in very nicely on our team and give us real depth there that seems necessary for a team like the Mavs to compete.

The dream would be some type of combo of Bradley/Ariza but I'm not sure if the money is possible.

But damn;

Harris/Bradley/Ellis/Carter/Felton
Ariza/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Blair

And then maybe one more guy at the deadline if needed. That is the kind of true depth that I think this Mavs team needs to get through what is going to be a brutal regular season...and then the above would have 11 legit NBA players to mix and match to give different looks to playoff teams every night.

crisoner
06-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Sh*t everybody should have LeBron on their list like him or not.

rufuspaul
06-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Sh*t everybody should have LeBron on their list like him or not.

I think we're all just being realistic.

Cactus-Sack
06-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Ariza/Deng are the two obvious choices for the Mavs. And we obviously need a sf.

My sleeper player I wish we would target is Avery Bradley. I think he'd fit in very well with Harris/Ellis/Carter assuming Harris/Carter are coming back.

We had 55 minutes combined between Calderon and Carter in the playoffs per game. And that was with Harris playing 25 (probably his ideal) and Ellis playing 36 (his ideal).

So while we definitely need a solid wing player, shooter, defender like an Ariza or Deng. I'm not sure I would go too far with that depending on value.

Avery Bradley would fit in very nicely on our team and give us real depth there that seems necessary for a team like the Mavs to compete.

The dream would be some type of combo of Bradley/Ariza but I'm not sure if the money is possible.

But damn;

Harris/Bradley/Ellis/Carter/Felton
Ariza/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Blair

And then maybe one more guy at the deadline if needed. That is the kind of true depth that I think this Mavs team needs to get through what is going to be a brutal regular season...and then the above would have 11 legit NBA players to mix and match to give different looks to playoff teams every night.

Bradley/Monta???

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

DMAVS41
06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Bradley/Monta???

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I have no idea if the Celtics are willing to not match, but damn...what a combo that would be late in games.

Bradley/Monta/SF/Dirk/Chandler

I mean...you pull in Ariza or someone like that...and not only are the Mavs like legit 11 deep...but that lineup with Ariza at sf would actually be really good defensively as well.

I just like that idea more than melo...I doubt Melo comes anyway...and I don't hate the idea, but I'd rather build a 10 or 11 deep roster to cut everyone's minutes way down like the Spurs.

Cactus-Sack
06-30-2014, 01:59 PM
I have no idea if the Celtics are willing to not match, but damn...what a combo that would be late in games.

Bradley/Monta/SF/Dirk/Chandler

I mean...you pull in Ariza or someone like that...and not only are the Mavs like legit 11 deep...but that lineup with Ariza at sf would actually be really good defensively as well.

I just like that idea more than melo...I doubt Melo comes anyway...and I don't hate the idea, but I'd rather build a 10 or 11 deep roster to cut everyone's minutes way down like the Spurs.

Way better than Melo. Some times the second choice is the best choice. Bradley would just fit in so well next to Monta. I'd actually stick with Marion, because I can't see Melo/Bron coming, and Hayward/Parsons would be overpaid, Marion>Deng, so that just leaves Ariza who I think either stays a Bullet or goes to LA. Need another back-up big too, nothing special, just a guy who can play when Blair decides hew wants to play monkey-ball.

Bandito
06-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Lebron please.

Mr Exlax
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Rockets should go for LeBron or Love. I dunno about Melo. He's older than Harden but competes harder.

Real14
06-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Melo

Beastmode88
06-30-2014, 02:16 PM
hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens):

Hawks get

Andrea Bargnani (expirer)

Knicks get

John Jenkins (team option - rookie contract)
Mike Muscala (team option - rookie contract)

The Hawks get a big who can shoot the three and spread the floor for Teague, Mack, Schroeder. Korver on one side of the three point line, Bargnani on the other makes it easier for Teague to get to the rim.

The Hawks still would have over 7 million in cap space left to go after another wing (Sefolosha, Granger, Stuckey).

PLEASE TAKE ANDREA!

qrich
06-30-2014, 02:20 PM
A few guys I hope Rivers/Sacks aim for, but top three by position (realistic targets of course):

CE: Spencer Hawes, Chris Kaman, Emeka Okafor

Hawes was a target during the trade deadline, ultimately went to Cleveland, and would be a great backup to Jordan. Kaman is not much of a defender, and was unhappy in a Lakers uniform, but still put up 10/6 in 19 minutes, which would be around the minutes he would be seeing back in a Clips uni. Okafor didn't play, but his defense will be welcome.

PF: Channing Frye, Jordan Hill, Elton Brand

Like Hawes, Frye would be a spectacular third big with his ability to stretch the floor, but may cost a bit more than the Clips can afford. Hill would be a nice energy guy, and Brand would be a stable veteran presence.

SF: Trevor Ariza, Shawn Marion, Al-Farouq Aminu

Ariza, like Hawes & Frye, may be a bit more than the Clippers can afford, but still going to be a target. Marion is an experienced jack of all trades type while Aminu is a utility guy.

SG: Brandon Rush, C.J. Miles, Jared Cunningham

Shooting guard is where there shouldn't be any targets with Craw, JJ & Wilcox ready to hold it down, though those three would be good emergency guys that can spot time at the three.

PG: Shaun Livingston, Maurice Williams, Darren Collison

Three former Clippers that I'd like back, each for their own different reason.

Smook A.
06-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Rockets should go for LeBron or Love. I dunno about Melo. He's older than Harden but competes harder.
I want us to get Love. He's a great stretch 4 and I think him, Dwight & Harden would make a damn good big 3.

NugzFan
06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Can people list their teams cap space when picking potential free agents?

I assume this thread means "which realistic free agents can your team afford?" And not "which free agent would you like on your team in a fantasy world?"

rufuspaul
06-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Can people list their teams cap space when picking potential free agents?

I assume this thread means "which realistic free agents can your team afford?" And not "which free agent would you like on your team in a fantasy world?"

Hornets currently have $15 million in cap space that I believe includes McBob, who might be gone in FA.