PDA

View Full Version : why is so much emphasis placed on"last shots"

ralph_i_el
06-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Points are points no matter when you score them. If your team is down by 1 and you miss you get crucified. If you make it everyone jumps on your nuts.

But if you had just made one more shot earlier instead of missing you wouldn't even be in that position. Obviously game winners are exciting, but they aren't something I'd use to judge a player.

JohnFreeman
06-30-2014, 11:07 AM
It's the same when people discredit a game winner because it's a layup and not a fadeaway

Mr Exlax
06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
That's why players should be judged on the entire game. People do it moment by moment and that's the worst way possible. I think it's from people who don't love the game but just love a player.

miller-time
06-30-2014, 11:13 AM
That's why players should be judged on the entire game. People do it moment by moment and that's the worst way possible. I think it's from people who don't love the game but just love a player.

And the opposing team. One thing that grinded my gears a couple of seasons ago was when Kobe was hitting a few game winners and the stans on here would go mental. The sad bit is that they were against terrible teams. Teams that you shouldn't have to rely on game winning shots to beat. "Kobe with another game winner!" - yeah against the Nets with a win percentage of 30%..

JohnFreeman
06-30-2014, 11:16 AM
And the opposing team. One thing that grinded my gears a couple of seasons ago was when Kobe was hitting a few game winners and the stans on here would go mental. The sad bit is that they were against terrible teams. Teams that you shouldn't have to rely on game winning shots to beat.
Kinda goes back to his 81 point game against the worst defensive team in the league.

HoopsFanNumero1
06-30-2014, 11:20 AM
You'll notice nearly Kobe stan does this, and it's usually only them. Fortunately, no one takes them seriously.

Lebron23
06-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Hero ball mentality.

DaSeba5
06-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Too many people watch ESPN and put too much focus on "hero mentality."

Mr Exlax
06-30-2014, 11:30 AM
And the opposing team. One thing that grinded my gears a couple of seasons ago was when Kobe was hitting a few game winners and the stans on here would go mental. The sad bit is that they were against terrible teams. Teams that you shouldn't have to rely on game winning shots to beat. "Kobe with another game winner!" - yeah against the Nets with a win percentage of 30%..

I agree 100000%

Inactive
06-30-2014, 11:42 AM
I share OP's frustration. Games very rarely come down to a single shot like that, but certain people act like it's the only thing that matters. The game is decided by the team's play throughout the entire game, not a single player or a single possession.

GODbe
06-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Not surprised LeBald fans have a problem with gamewinners:sleeping .

Ne 1
06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Not surprised LeBald fans have a problem with gamewinners:sleeping .
http://ecache.ilbe.com/files/attach/new/20131215/132676392/17499896/2550799781/2dae9cba0b13edbabbe0d8df89cfec19.jpg

GODbe
06-30-2014, 11:54 AM
http://ecache.ilbe.com/files/attach/new/20131215/132676392/17499896/2550799781/2dae9cba0b13edbabbe0d8df89cfec19.jpg
http://www.ebengregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/kobe.gif

tmacattack33
06-30-2014, 11:54 AM
The last shot is more important than the second to last or third to last or 99th to last shot of the game (which would be a shot in the first quarter), because the other team can't respond to it.

But yeah, people go crazy about it and don't think logically about it. Especially in today's world of short attention spans and twitter and stuff, where a shot with 30 seconds left won't even get noticed.

knicksman
06-30-2014, 05:16 PM
its like saying RS stats=Playoffs stats. LOL these bran stans always be idiots. Theres a reason why the wilts and brans are getting exposed in the playoffs or in the clutch. Its harder to score in the clutch than 1st quarters so the better player is the one that can score in the clutch.

KBaller33
06-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Ask Skip Bayless

STATUTORY
06-30-2014, 05:25 PM
why all this emphasis on winning championships? isn't boxcores most important

- next chapter of bran stan damage control

tpols
06-30-2014, 05:29 PM
But if you had just made one more shot earlier instead of missing you wouldn't even be in that position. Obviously game winners are exciting, but they aren't something I'd use to judge a player.

Its harder to score when games are close at the end of fourth quarters than it is to score in the flow of the game earlier on (Go ask karl malone.. or bran)..

you cant just award yourself hypothetical buckets from any point earlier on after missing a GW.. beta mentality.

6 for 24
06-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Good question, OP!

The problem is that casual fans are very results-oriented, so if they see a shot that wins the game, they think that's all that matters. Or, if they see a shot that goes in the hoop, they think that's the most important thing.

Once you have a broader understanding of statistics, you realize that what is really important is not last second baskets, or even made baskets in general-- it is just shots. Because once you take enough shots, some are bound to go in, and those are the points necessary to win.

Take Kobe Bryant, for instance. He may take 40-50 shots a game, but, at his respectable 40+ FG%, that translates into 20-30 points a game.. more than enough to win. Sure, he may miss a few here and there, but over time it will all even out and that is why he has five rings and most people here have none.

Hopefully this aids in your understanding.

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye

navy
06-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Good question, OP!

The problem is that casual fans are very results-oriented, so if they see a shot that wins the game, they think that's all that matters. Or, if they see a shot that goes in the hoop, they think that's the most important thing.

Once you have a broader understanding of statistics, you realize that what is really important is not last second baskets, or even made baskets in general-- it is just shots. Because once you take enough shots, some are bound to go in, and those are the points necessary to win.

Take Kobe Bryant, for instance. He may take 40-50 shots a game, but, at his respectable 40+ FG%, that translates into 20-30 points a game.. more than enough to win. Sure, he may miss a few here and there, but over time it will all even out and that is why he has five rings and most people here have none.

Hopefully this aids in your understanding.

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye
:applause:

stephanieg
06-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Points are points no matter when you score them.

This isn't true. Actions become more important as the game clock runs out, assuming the game is competitive. If it's a close game in the first quarter and you miss two free throws in a row, hey, no biggie, still got like 40 minutes left to play. If you miss two free throws in a close game with 10 seconds left, you cost your team the game.

Or you can think of comebacks. How many times have you seen a team get up big in the first quarter and then lose it? Pretty often, right? But if you have a big lead late in the fourth the game is over.

TheGreatDeraj
06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Points are points no matter when you score them. If your team is down by 1 and you miss you get crucified. If you make it everyone jumps on your nuts.

completely wrong.

under which scenario is a 2 point basket worth more:

a) 11:30 left in first quarter score 3-2. This basket has very little influence on who wins the game because there is still 47 minutes and 30 seconds left to make up that one point difference, a fairly easy task with many opportunities. Defense and intensity not as high.

b) :05 left in the fourth quarter 100-99. This basket has INCREDIBLE influence on who wins the game. only 5 seconds left and very few or no opportunities. Defense and intensity very high.

edit: ninja^^

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Because points are tough to come by in crunchtime. Anxiety and pressure is up and not only are these last second shots well defended, but they're (usually) the last possession of the game.

Bottom line...if you've ever played a sport in your life, you'd understand why there is so much emphasis placed on "last shots"

ralph_i_el
06-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Because points are tough to come by in crunchtime. Anxiety and pressure is up and not only are these last second shots well defended, but they're (usually) the last possession of the game.

Bottom line...if you've ever played a sport in your life, you'd understand why there is so much emphasis placed on "last shots"
I was a college athlete and I'm not a Bron fan. We always tried to score goals as often as possible...

A shot is a shot is a shot. The defender is under anxiety also. Hundreds of games a year don't come down to the last shot because dudes scored buckets earlier so they didn't have to in crunchtime.
I'm just looking at it from a logical perspective.

There is something to be said for being able to get a good shot off in a period of time shorter than a full shot clock, because you have less time to set up an easy shot.

ralph_i_el
06-30-2014, 08:37 PM
completely wrong.

under which scenario is a 2 point basket worth more:

a) 11:30 left in first quarter score 3-2. This basket has very little influence on who wins the game because there is still 47 minutes and 30 seconds left to make up that one point difference, a fairly easy task with many opportunities. Defense and intensity not as high.

b) :05 left in the fourth quarter 100-99. This basket has INCREDIBLE influence on who wins the game. only 5 seconds left and very few or no opportunities. Defense and intensity very high.

edit: ninja^^
At the end of the game all 2 point baskets are worth 2 points. Imagine both those scenarios happen in the SAME game. Making the shot at point A prevents the need to make the shot at point B.

DatAsh
06-30-2014, 08:53 PM
This isn't true. Actions become more important as the game clock runs out, assuming the game is competitive. If it's a close game in the first quarter and you miss two free throws in a row, hey, no biggie, still got like 40 minutes left to play. If you miss two free throws in a close game with 10 seconds left, you cost your team the game.

Both scenarios you cost your team the game, all other things held constant. The difference is that you'll only get blamed for one.

GimmeThat
06-30-2014, 09:27 PM
actually, no one gives a f*ck about the last shot when the score is 100-80

wait, don't tell me people care about the GAME WINNING SHOT

that's like some striker scores the ball at the 91 minute mark

- Smak