PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan only top GOAT candidate to ever guarantee victory in a Finals Series

unbreakable
06-30-2014, 11:52 AM
"We'll do it this time" :bowdown:

the amount of BALLS and ALPHA needed to guarantee victory against the most stacked team of all time :bowdown:

Tim Duncan , GOAT PF, 5 rings, defensive anchor of a team thats never missed playoffs, never won less than 50 games in a season, top 5 player all time

after this season, the following players have NO CASE over duncan: bird, kobe, shaq, dream, bron, magic, wilt, oscar

**top tier of basketball royalty: mj, kareem, duncan, russell
**then everybody else

riseagainst
06-30-2014, 11:54 AM
pretty sure MJ has done this like a dozen times in every playoff series, even when they were down.

jlip
06-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Bill Russell wore a black suit to every game 7 claiming that he was "the undertaker" and was going to bury the other team. He never lost a game 7.

jstern
06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Players make guarantees all the time. Bosch even said something similar, that the Heat will get it done. Would that have made him the first also? Or the first to do it and win if the Heat had won it?

What Duncan said wasn't really a guarantee, it was more like a show of confidence, face, that players do. Similar to Bosch, who after the series was over said that he pretty much knew that they were outmatched.

For it to be a guarantee, then Duncan had to use the word guarantee in the sentence.

riseagainst
06-30-2014, 12:37 PM
remember how lebron promised rings to cleveland and not 6 not 7 to miami? happens alot, but only a few delivers.

mehyaM24
06-30-2014, 12:44 PM
tim duncan has no case for GOAT lol

when he was drafted by the spurs, they already had david robinson and popovich waiting. a few years later, they signed 2 of the greatest international superstars of all time (dirk is the best with manu as a close second IMO) and the BEST perimeter defender of his generation, bruce bowen. forget the GOAT role players in horry,kerr,stephenson, what about the new finals mvp, kawhi leonard?

the spurs are a great team who duncan just so happened to play for. is he a top 10 player of all time? sure. closer to 10 than say 5-7? absolutely.

Real14
06-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Flem Duncan aint no damn GOAT man:coleman:

T_L_P
06-30-2014, 12:52 PM
tim duncan has no case for GOAT lol

when he was drafted by the spurs, they already had david robinson and popovich waiting. a few years later, they signed 2 of the greatest international superstars of all time (dirk is the best with manu as a close second IMO) and the BEST perimeter defender of his generation, bruce bowen. forget the GOAT role players in horry,kerr,stephenson, what about the new finals mvp, kawhi leonard?

the spurs are a great team who duncan just so happened to play for. is he a top 10 player of all time? sure. closer to 10 than say 5-7? absolutely.

Popovich was a ****ing nobody when Duncan got there. He was close to getting fired in 99. Obviously Duncan didn't make Popovich, but I can guarantee nobody saw anything "GOAT" in him until at least 07. Before then he relied on his superstar as much as anybody.

The simple fact is Duncan had less pure impact help than most all time greats. Duncan had two years worth of playing with a real superstar (98 Robinson, 05 Manu). And superstars beat depth 99% of the time.

Also, does Hakeem not exist?

PS: obviously Duncan isn't the GOAT, nor will he ever be. I'm just saying. He has pretty much had to win with vets and role players, not megastars. The only megastar he got to play with was past his prime by the time he got there.

mehyaM24
06-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Popovich was a ****ing nobody when Duncan got there.

he spent a lot of time assisting larry brown and in the front office. the year he decided to coach, david robinson missed the ENTIRE season.

with the same players as the mid 2000 spurs, david robinson would have achieved similar success in the late 90s/early 2000s.

easily

The simple fact is Duncan had less pure impact help than most all time greats. Duncan had two years worth of playing with a real superstar (98 Robinson, 05 Manu). And superstars beat depth 99% of the time.

not hakeem. not 2000 shaq. not 1998 jordan. i could go on, but it doesnt matter. duncan didnt need "superstars" when he played with HOFers and a GOAT role players.

PS: obviously Duncan isn't the GOAT, nor will he ever be. I'm just saying. He has pretty much had to win with vets and role players, not megastars. The only megastar he got to play with was past his prime by the time he got there.

again, he had THE GOAT coach, international and role players + HOFers.

duncan having to "carry the spurs" is the biggest myth in basketball

kennethgriffin
06-30-2014, 01:07 PM
kobe guaranteed 10 finals wins back in his early days

lebron guaranteed 8 finals wins in 2010

duncans a light weight

T_L_P
06-30-2014, 01:08 PM
he spent a lot of time assisting larry brown and in the front office. the year he decided to coach, david robinson missed the ENTIRE season.

with the same players as the mid 2000 spurs, david robinson would have achieved similar success in the late 90s/early 2000s.

easily

not hakeem. not 2000 shaq. not 1998 jordan. i could go on, but it doesnt matter. duncan didnt need "superstars" when he played with HOFers and a GOAT role players.

again, he had THE GOAT coach, international and role players + HOFers.

duncan having to "carry the spurs" is the biggest myth in basketball

Could you tell me exactly what you remember about the 01-03 Spurs, their greatness and how Duncan didn't have to carry them?

T_L_P
06-30-2014, 01:16 PM
from 01-02, i remember duncan being skinned alive by peak shaq and the lakers.

in 03, i remember steve kerr, manu, parker, and stephenson hitting all the big shots (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4caOwS6jI)

Fail of a post, tbh. You've done nothing to explain why Duncan didn't carry them. Shaq beating Duncan has no relevance to carrying a team, you know?

And now big shots are proof that he didn't carry them either, even though Malik Rose himself said Duncan carried them?

:facepalm

mehyaM24
06-30-2014, 01:16 PM
deleted my post for further clarity:

Could you tell me exactly what you remember about the 01-03 Spurs, their greatness and how Duncan didn't have to carry them?

in 03, i remember steve kerr, manu, parker, and jackson hitting all the big shots (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4caOwS6jI)

people forget how great the 03 spurs were....

kerr- GOAT 3PT shooter
bowen- BEST perimeter defender of his generation
manu- BEST creator/ playmaker on his team
jackson-CLUTCH 3PT shooter
parker-BEST slasher on his team, fastest player in the league

T_L_P
06-30-2014, 01:18 PM

in 03, i remember steve kerr, manu, parker, and jackson hitting all the big shots (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4caOwS6jI)

Fail of a post, tbh. You've done nothing to explain why Duncan didn't carry them. Shaq beating Duncan has no relevance to carrying a team, you know?

And now big shots are proof that he didn't carry them either, even though Malik Rose himself said Duncan carried them?

:facepalm

mehyaM24
06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
You've nothing to explain why Duncan didn't carry them.

he never had to carry them. ask duncan himself who always thanks his teammates....essentially saying without them, he wouldn't win shit. :oldlol:

20Four
06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Yep because remember when lebron said this? Fvcking beta son of a b|tch

[QUOTE]I got a goal, and it

T_L_P
06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
he never had to carry them. ask duncan himself who always thanks his teammates....essentially saying without them, he wouldn't win shit. :oldlol:

So I present the facts and statistics. And you provide the hyperbole and hypotheticals?

You've got nothing. If Duncan didn't carry his team from 01-03 then no other player has. But yes, he had the quickest guard in the league, who managed to shoot an outstanding 41% from the field in the Playoffs. GOAT help.

mehyaM24
06-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Straw-Man.

not at all. whenever duncan has won the Finals MVP (hasn't won since 2005, testament to how great his TEAM is), guy has always thanked his teammates and coach first and foremost. despite all the individual awards he's received, he genuinely doesn't seem to care that much about them. He cares more about his team and winning than about his own gratification....which is why the spurs are so great. everybody flourishes.

duncan's ability to sit back and let others get theirs should be commended. :confusedshrug:

T_L_P
06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
not at all. whenever duncan has won the Finals MVP (hasn't won since 2005, testament to how great his TEAM is), he's always thanked his teammates and coach first and foremost. despite all the individual awards he's received, he genuinely doesn't seem to care that much about them. He cares more about his team and winning than about his own gratification....which is why the spurs are so great. everybody flourishes.

duncan's ability to sit back and let others get theirs should be commended. :confsuedshrug:

05-14 Spurs: incredible team.

01-03 Spurs: not so much.

If Duncan didn't carry them then no other superstar has had to carry their team. Duncan being a humble guy doesn't change that.

Harison
06-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Bill Russell wore a black suit to every game 7 claiming that he was "the undertaker" and was going to bury the other team. He never lost a game 7.
Yep, 10-0 in Game7s.

Cant get any more "alpha" than that.

nightprowler10
06-30-2014, 01:39 PM
I know he's just a role player, but JET tattooing the championship trophy on his body and then being a key piece to beating Miami's big 3 is such an awesome story.

SCdac
06-30-2014, 04:06 PM
I know this is an agenda thread, but aside from that, at the time Duncan said it I thought it was pretty boss. Duncan seemed very serious, not saying just for the cameras and microphones, felt like he truly believed it.

Mechanixxxx
06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Shaq said "We are gonna win another one next year" on 2000 and did the same thing the year after, both times he was right. Pat Riley guaranteed back 2 back championchips for the Lakers and they also did it.

Ramza
06-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Timmy. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

stalkerforlife
06-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Top 5 all time.

ArbitraryWater
06-30-2014, 05:58 PM
stopped at "most stacked team of all time".. then cringed, then cried, then laughed at the just seen stupidity

ArbitraryWater
06-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Yep because remember when lebron said this? Fvcking beta son of a b|tch

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/lebron-james-is-staying-to-bring-a-title-to-cleveland-or-not/

thats not really guaranteeing a title.. thats hoping for one, saying he will stay until he wins one, and that, um, ultimately not being the case.

Brizzly
06-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Larry said he'd take down the lakers in four.

reppy
06-30-2014, 06:22 PM
That's cool and all, but it would have meant more if Guaran-Sheed it.

Jacks3
06-30-2014, 06:39 PM
GOAT candidate? :oldlol: