PDA

View Full Version : LeBron seeks to be highest paid player in the NBA

D-FENS
06-30-2014, 01:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11156634/lebron-james-miami-heat-wants-maximum-salary

Teams that contact James will be informed that he wants no less than the maximum salary number for next season, sources said. The max number is projected to be $22.2 million. In 2010, James accepted a pay cut when he signed with the Miami Heat, taking less than the maximum salary to help make space for other free agents.

As of now, James is not scheduling any pitch meetings with teams; he will let agent Rich Paul handle the opening stages of talks. In 2010, James scheduled six meetings with teams at his offices in Cleveland over the first three days of July.

This is interesting news but no surprise to be. His goal as a teenager was to become a billionaire. Nothing wrong with that goal, and I have no problem with him wanting the max. LeBron is my least favorite player, but I understand what he is worth, and it should be about 3x whatever Whistle and Bish make.

Go get it Bron.
http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Buss_Jeanie_lal_051031.jpg

D-Rose
06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Woj made a great point on the Dan Patrick show this morning. If LeBron was in an NBA with a free market...his salary would be 50-60 million no doubt with his marketability.

Still incredible that he's never been the single highest paid player on his team in any given year.

Smook A.
06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Even more than kobe?

:kobe:

chopchop20
06-30-2014, 01:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11156634/lebron-james-miami-heat-wants-maximum-salary

This is interesting news but no surprise to be. His goal as a teenager was to become a billionaire. Nothing wrong with that goal, and I have no problem with him wanting the max. LeBron is my least favorite player, but I understand what he is worth, and it should be about 3x whatever Whistle and Bish make.

Go get it Bron.
http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Buss_Jeanie_lal_051031.jpg

Demanding the max salary helps all star players, IMO.

nightprowler10
06-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Wait, who was making more money than him in his second contract?

fpliii
06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Currently, seven teams have the cap space to offer James a deal starting at $22.2 million next season: the Heat, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns, Utah Jazz, Philadelphia 76ers and Orlando Magic.

The Lakers and Suns, known to be serious bidders, have the space to add James and other high-level free agents. The Heat have the most cap space at $55 million but have Wade and Bosh to attend to as well. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said over the weekend that his team did not plan to make any max contract offers to free agents.

:djparty

Bandito
06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Even more than kobe?

:kobe:
I wish that would happen IMO.

Meticode
06-30-2014, 01:49 PM
If he's really getting nearly the $23 million, I have to wonder what type of paycuts Wade and Bosh are really taking. Even with LeBron taking around $18 million, Bosh $15 million and Wade $12-13 million that doesn't leave them a ton of room to do too much.

Eric Cartman
06-30-2014, 01:53 PM
It's impossible for him to make more money than Kobe these next two years.

Inactive
06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Wait, who was making more money than him in his second contract?Ben Wallace in 08, and 09. Shaq in 10.

russwest0
06-30-2014, 01:59 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

He needs to take notes from Duncan.

Mass Debator
06-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Either Lebron wants the Heat organization to kick him out so he looks "better" or he doesn't care about winning another championship.

I say a little bit of both so I'm leaning towards him leaving south beach if this is all true.

Real14
06-30-2014, 02:04 PM
2 out of 5:oldlol:

lakerspng
06-30-2014, 02:07 PM
I do wonder if he told Wade and Bosh about this decision when they discussed all opting out to renegotiate their contracts to move forward as a team.

22 to Bron, that leaves 33 for the rest of the team. If they plan on adding another few pieces they can't spend more than 25 on wade and bosh...

unless... can the Heat sign LeBron to a max, then add another 15 mill in other salaries and then wait and go over the cap resigning wade and bosh knowing they'll pay a luxury tax? and wade and bosh know what's going on and just don't talk to any other teams and let Miami make it's other moves first trusting they're going to be taken care of?

SpecialQue
06-30-2014, 02:11 PM
This is really some bizarre mind-fvckery that Lebron is doing with the Heat. How the hell are they going to keep Wade and Bosh AND get decent role players if he wants the max? And is he still trying to team up with Melo somewhere, or was that just a fleeting idea for him?

EDIT: Also, I would love for him to join up with Kobe on the Lakers. Holy shit...think of the ratings!

kennethgriffin
06-30-2014, 02:24 PM
:djparty
you want that ring chasing quitter on the lakers?

i dont care how good he is. he brings more disappointment than good times. no loyalty. would leave us the minute things dont go his way. he would demand that kobe be turned into a kick out three point shooter. destroy confidence and regress our rookies and other good players. turn it into a boring style offense. we'd be the laughing stock of the nba and take over miami's current role. bring in crap fans. get no credit for titles earned. any time something goes wrong kobe would take the blame. a new shaq/kobe fued circus would form with kobe/bran

i'd rather win the right way. i'd rather stay a respectable organization. i'd rather kobe win one more as top dog.

no selling out for me. if lebron joined i'd spite him as much as i did shaq after 2003 when he got fat and lazy healing on company time and telling kobe he cant win without him

gts
06-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Scumbag move if he signs for the max in Miami, convincing wade and bosh to opt out and take less while he opts out to take max? Just come to Phoenix bron, that would be a thing of beauty to watch you play here :bowdown:

Wade and Bosh are big kids now, they know how the league works

RoundMoundOfReb
06-30-2014, 02:27 PM
He might just be leaking this to put pressure on the Heat front office to give him a good reason to take less.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-30-2014, 02:28 PM
This is really some bizarre mind-fvckery that Lebron is doing with the Heat. How the hell are they going to keep Wade and Bosh AND get decent role players if he wants the max? And is he still trying to team up with Melo somewhere, or was that just a fleeting idea for him?

EDIT: Also, I would love for him to join up with Kobe on the Lakers. Holy shit...think of the ratings!

How would LeBron on the Lakers effect the Kobe Stan/LeBron Stan dynamic? Would be interesting..

VengefulAngel
06-30-2014, 02:31 PM
This story has come directly from Lebron's camp for a reason...

D-Rose
06-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Keep in mind, the max he can get is 5 yrs 130 million. Year one starts at $20 million.

navy
06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
This isnt even possible, what the hell Lebron...

nightprowler10
06-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Ben Wallace in 08, and 09. Shaq in 10.
I should've know about Wallace since we dumped him on to the Cavs, but I didn't realize Shaq was making so much at that point in his career.

crisoner
06-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Bron's never been the highest paid player on his team...dude deserves it.

gts
06-30-2014, 02:35 PM
I do wonder if he told Wade and Bosh about this decision when they discussed all opting out to renegotiate their contracts to move forward as a team.

22 to Bron, that leaves 33 for the rest of the team. If they plan on adding another few pieces they can't spend more than 25 on wade and bosh...

unless... can the Heat sign LeBron to a max, then add another 15 mill in other salaries and then wait and go over the cap resigning wade and bosh knowing they'll pay a luxury tax? and wade and bosh know what's going on and just don't talk to any other teams and let Miami make it's other moves first trusting they're going to be taken care of?

yes and no, they'd have to waive bird rights on everyone not named Lebron, which since Wade or Bosh are not expecting max contracts wouldn't be a problem but then they can't go over the cap to sign anyone... that's the catch 22, bird rights let you go over the cap to resign your own players but the cap holds they create make sure you can't go over the cap to bring in free agents from the outside so they'd actually lose the ability to spend more money if they waive rights...

cap hold
Wade 19 million
Lebron 20 million
Bosh 20 million

Cap is set at 63 million,
22 to Lebron
2 million to Cole which leaves roughly 39 million of which Wades and Bosh's cap holds take up 39 million...

the heat have no money to spend unless they start shedding bird rights

fpliii
06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
you want that ring chasing quitter on the lakers?

i dont care how good he is. he brings more disappointment than good times. no loyalty. would leave us the minute things dont go his way. he would demand that kobe be turned into a kick out three point shooter. destroy confidence and regress our rookies and other good players. turn it into a boring style offense. we'd be the laughing stock of the nba and take over miami's current role. bring in crap fans. get no credit for titles earned. any time something goes wrong kobe would take the blame. a new shaq/kobe fued circus would form with kobe/bran

i'd rather win the right way. i'd rather stay a respectable organization. i'd rather kobe win one more as top dog.

no selling out for me. if lebron joined i'd spite him as much as i did shaq after 2003 when he got fat and lazy healing on company time and telling kobe he cant win without him
All I care about is winning as much as possible griff. I don't care about credit for titles earned, rings won by the team are rings won by the team, that's all that matters IMO. The Lakers always get great players, and have since the beginning of the franchise.

I'm not a LeBron fan, but you could do much, much worse.

No chance he goes to LA, just saying.

D-FENS
06-30-2014, 02:40 PM
I really think he should look to sign somewhere else, maybe go to a team with young cheap players to build around. Woj is correct is assuming Phoenix is the place to have a real shot at winning.

Suns could sign LeBron and Carmelo, and move Eric Bledsoe for a bunch of vets.

The Mavs would also make a lot of sense for LeBron as would the Cavs.

LeBron could go to Cleveland and request they trade all the young bigs and bring in a bunch of vets.
He could be playing with a line-up of:
CT: Varejao/ Zeller
PF: Love/
SF: James/
SG: Wiggins/ Waiters
PG: Irving/ Hinrich

Trade Bennett, Thompson and 2 future firsts for Love
Shop Wiggins for a superstar
Sign Hinrich
etc

D-FENS
06-30-2014, 02:42 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

He needs to take notes from Duncan.

Duncan was not in his prime when he took less. Bron is in his prime. Can't fault him. It's an ego thing. MJ was the same. Kobe is the same. So was Shaq. You only have a certain amount of time to make money.

Would you take less at your job so your boss could hire your friends?

lakerspng
06-30-2014, 02:45 PM
yes and no, they'd have to waive bird rights on everyone not named Lebron, which since Wade or Bosh are not expecting max contracts wouldn't be a problem but then they can't go over the cap to sign anyone... that's the catch 22, bird rights let you go over the cap to resign your own players but the cap holds they create make sure you can't go over the cap to bring in free agents from the outside so they'd actually lose the ability to spend more money if they waive rights...

cap hold
Wade 19 million
Lebron 20 million
Bosh 20 million

Cap is set at 63 million,
22 to Lebron
2 million to Cole which leaves roughly 39 million of which Wades and Bosh's cap holds take up 39 million...

the heat have no money to spend unless they start shedding bird rights

copy that. thanks.

LeBron deserves the max, but Wade and Bosh are really bending over here, strange.

BigBoss
06-30-2014, 02:57 PM
He'll never win a championship again if he asks for the max because he can only win with 2 all stars who command max money too. it's not a sustainable model to build a dynasty

D-FENS
06-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Bosh and Wade are idiots for agreeing to this. James is spanking both of them.
He'll be demanding they can't talk to him at practice like Kobe/Smush soon

DeuceWallaces
06-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Uh, it's impossible for him to be the highest paid.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-30-2014, 03:17 PM

If they all resign and LeBron takes the max, Wade just lost a TON of money then. Unless they give him something like a 3 year/$42 M instead of 2 years.

lakerspng
06-30-2014, 03:18 PM
well, he could sign the largest contract in the league, even though his per year for the next 2 years would still be a tick below Kobe's contract. within 2 years his contract would make him the highest paid player in the league.

midatlantic09
06-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Wade/Bosh don't deserve a penny more than $10 million a yr and Lebron probably knows this. Also, Wade/Bosh are probably aware that they aren't all that good anymore.

R.I.P.
06-30-2014, 03:41 PM
So after taking paycuts, while playing in the shittiest conference ever, has led him to two titles, he now wants to become the highest paid player in the league.
Not that there is anything wrong with this, but we need some comments from Bronstans that praised his unselfishness and desire to win just 48 hours ago. :lol

kennethgriffin
06-30-2014, 03:46 PM
All I care about is winning as much as possible griff. I don't care about credit for titles earned, rings won by the team are rings won by the team, that's all that matters IMO. The Lakers always get great players, and have since the beginning of the franchise.

I'm not a LeBron fan, but you could do much, much worse.

No chance he goes to LA, just saying.

the price of tainting the franchise with his presence isnt worth any amount of bought championships. he'd be known as a laker in future public opinion... like wilt is known as a laker to people today. doesnt matter that he won with another franchise or played longer somewhere else. once you win as a laker. you're a laker for life. and i wouldn't welcome that

edrick
06-30-2014, 03:51 PM

Bosh should be happy to earn even half the amount of money Lebron should make. Wade "deserves" more based on what he did for Miami before Lebron and Bosh went there.

jzek
06-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Scumbag move if he signs for the max in Miami, convincing wade and bosh to opt out and take less while he opts out to take max? Just come to Phoenix bron, that would be a thing of beauty to watch you play here :bowdown:

Why is it a scumbag move? He's the reason Wade and Bosh are champions (excluding 2006 for Wade) so why does he have to look out for them? LeBron is clearly worth Wade's + Bosh's salaries combined so their salary needs to reflect that as well.

He should be making 30M+ while Bosh about 10M and Wade about 5M.

SCdac
06-30-2014, 04:11 PM
While I agree he's the best player in the NBA, feel like him gunning for the max (for the sake of financial security, and not have to worry about getting an immense contract later) was like 3-4 years ago. Him seeking the max now, whether deserved or not, seems like bad timing imo.

Hey Yo
06-30-2014, 04:23 PM
The last 3 postseason's James has led the team in pts, rebounds, assists and steals.

In the last 3 regular seasons he's done the same, minus steals.

I'd say Wade and Bosh should be taking paycuts, while James gets the max.

inclinerator
06-30-2014, 04:31 PM
lebran is so cool

rufuspaul
06-30-2014, 04:39 PM
I love it. I hope the Heat eventually re-sign all 3 and the sour grapes from Wade and Bosh haunt the locker room like an evil curse.

gasolina
06-30-2014, 04:51 PM
While Lebron does deserve the max, its a bit unfair for Bosh (IDK Wade) who's being asked to be old Rashard Lewis and get paid like one. I think if he can still produce something close to 19-7 as a legit 2nd option on a good team, and should get paid accordingly.

Not his fault the Miami offense doesn't take advantage of his other skills

magic chiongson
06-30-2014, 05:03 PM
lol i don't like lebron but i'd be really happy if he goes to the lakers :D

The-Legend-24
06-30-2014, 05:11 PM
What a greedy bastard. :facepalm

Nikka should learn from Kobe on how to take less.

zoom17
06-30-2014, 05:17 PM
What a greedy bastard. :facepalm

Nikka should learn from Kobe on how to take less.

what please tell me you're joking.

Mgamer20o0
06-30-2014, 05:29 PM
lol i don't like lebron but i'd be really happy if he goes to the lakers :D
i dont think he will go to the lakers or clips for that matter. though lakers have a proven track record of paying its players and winning. also i would think he would get more advertising money in la or ny over any other spot. winning is whats going to bring him in the most money. if he took 15 or 20 its not going to matter in the long run.

Black and White
06-30-2014, 05:35 PM
He's earnt it, now from a Miami perspective, they need to make sure Bosh and Wade take a lot less to fill out the roster.

dc_chilling
06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
It seems odd that Bosh, Wade, and Lebron would be having lunch together and joking around if this is true.

Lebron would basically be forcing his teammates to take less money while he takes more.

You would think they would be pretty pissed.

If anyone is a max player, it's Lebron. I'm just not sure I believe this.

If it is true, damn. That's pretty cold.

MellowYellow
06-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Surely Lebron knows that there is no way that he will win another ship with bosh and wade if he takes this max, the Heat are obligated to overpay for Bosh and Wade to at least match the money they opted out of.

RobertdeMeijer
06-30-2014, 06:45 PM
How much does LeBron earn with endorsements? I would think that he would make twice as much money from endorsements the rest of his career if he remained a contender, instead of a semifinalist.
The easiest way for him to remain a contender would be to keep his salary low. Ten million less in salary could be fifty million more a year from Nike et al.

Hoopz2332
08-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Either Lebron wants the Heat organization to kick him out so he looks "better" or he doesn't care about winning another championship.

I say a little bit of both so I'm leaning towards him leaving south beach if this is all true.

:applause: