PDA

View Full Version : Somebody break down Greg Monroe for me

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Greg Monroe and Luol Deng seem to be the Hawks primary targets in FA. Thing is, I know next to nothing about Monroe. I've barely even seen him play.

I've heard his defense isn't very good, does he have low basketball IQ or is he just a softy?

Just from looking at his stats he looks like a true low post guy and a fairly good passer, which I can see appealing to Coach Bud.

Somebody fill me in.

RedBlackAttack
06-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Not Monroe related, but I'd steer clear of Deng if I were the Hawks.

jayfan
06-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Detroit's going to match, in all likelihood.

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Not Monroe related, but I'd steer clear of Deng if I were the Hawks.

Mmmmm I tend to agree, he seems to be one of the favorites though.

Who knows what Ferry is thinking, he's been scheming for a while maybe he'll surprise us.

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Detroit's going to match, in all likelihood.

Why would Detroit match, they tried to trot out the three bigs last year with Smith, Monroe, and Drummond, and it was a complete and utter failure. Josh Smith can not and should not play SF.

They need to let Monroe walk and slide J-Smoove over to the 4 full time.

It is Detroit though so who knows.

jayfan
06-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Why would Detroit match, they tried to trot out the three bigs last year with Smith, Monroe, and Drummond, and it was a complete and utter failure. Josh Smith can not and should not play SF.

1. They don't want to let him walk for nothing.

2. SVG likes what he sees in Drummond and Monroe on the floor together. Smith could be moved or come off the bench.

Johnny Jones
07-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Just from looking at his stats he looks like a true low post guy and a fairly good passer, which I can see appealing to Coach Bud. He's exactly that.

And Deng is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. He has reputation as an elite defensive player, but I don't see it.

fsvr54
07-01-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't see the point of Monroe. He shouldn't play ahead of Millsap or Horford, and then we just drafted Adreian Payne and have Muscala and Mike Scott.

hawksdogsbraves
07-01-2014, 12:05 AM
1. They don't want to let him walk for nothing.

2. SVG likes what he sees in Drummond and Monroe on the floor together. Smith could be moved or come off the bench.

Yeah could be.

There's only one team out there dumb enough to take Josh Smith, and that's the Kings.

I could see some sort of 3 way trade where Horford goes to Detroit, Monroe to Atlanta, and Smith to Sacramento. There would be some more pieces involved to make everything match up but I could see it. Looking at earlier rumors about Smith to Sacramento I think Detroit would take essentially nothing back just to be rid of him.

outbreak
07-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I had a soft spot for monroe but his too low for the positions he scores from and he's slow and doesn't block shots. He's still young though so I don't think he's a bad signing really if your looking long term.

jayfan
07-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Yeah could be.

There's only one team out there dumb enough to take Josh Smith, and that's the Kings.

I could see some sort of 3 way trade where Horford goes to Detroit, Monroe to Atlanta, and Smith to Sacramento. There would be some more pieces involved to make everything match up but I could see it. Looking at earlier rumors about Smith to Sacramento I think Detroit would take essentially nothing back just to be rid of him.

fsvr54 makes a good point. There doesn't seem to be a need for a Monroe in Atlanta.

hawksdogsbraves
07-01-2014, 12:15 AM
fsvr54 makes a good point. There doesn't seem to be a need for a Monroe in Atlanta.

Yeah idk, I guess it may be part of some deal where we move Horford.

He's been mentioned as a possible fit for us for quite a while now. 24 year old 17/11 guys don't exactly grow on trees, and he'd get some top notch coaching.

It really just comes down to if Bud thinks he'd fit the system. I feel like what Bud really wants is a low post scorer, (think Tim Duncan) to bring the whole thing together. Horford, even if healthy, doesn't really provide that.

La Frescobaldi
07-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Greg Monroe and Luol Deng seem to be the Hawks primary targets in FA. Thing is, I know next to nothing about Monroe. I've barely even seen him play.

I've heard his defense isn't very good, does he have low basketball IQ or is he just a softy?

Just from looking at his stats he looks like a true low post guy and a fairly good passer, which I can see appealing to Coach Bud.

Somebody fill me in.
I thought I was gonna be halfway impressed by Monroe about two or three years ago but I was wrong.
Bottom third of starting NBA centers.

GimmeThat
07-01-2014, 12:27 AM
probably still too early in his career to really break down his game besides that he is a big man with size and decent athleticism.

if he's got the touches around the paint area, it'll be pretty beneficial for the Pistons, because Drummond can still focus on finishing around the paint and protecting the rim.

G-train
07-01-2014, 12:33 AM
There's a reason Deng was Thib's favorite player, and not all of it is related to on court play.

wally_world
07-01-2014, 02:46 AM
Why would Atlanta want Millsap, Horford AND Monroe? :wtf:

bdreason
07-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Monroe is good post player for his age, great man defender, and good passer from the post. He isn't a great help defender or shot blocker, but he gets his hands on plenty of balls on defense. If he can develop a consistent midrange jumper... he will be an elite PF in the NBA.

Myth
07-01-2014, 02:54 AM

In a matter of 8 minutes you went from not knowing how Monroe plays to devising what you think would be their best strategy :biggums:

hawksdogsbraves
07-01-2014, 10:52 AM
In a matter of 8 minutes you went from not knowing how Monroe plays to devising what you think would be their best strategy :biggums:

I mean I know he's a center, I know Josh Smith sucks, and I know Josh Smith sucks 10x more if you try to make him play SF.

GimmeThat
07-01-2014, 10:59 AM
how do you like your glass blown?

that Heat....

GOBB
07-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Not a good defender and hasn't developed a midrange game which most PFs have. Solid player nonetheless.

PistonsFan#21
07-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Not a good defender and hasn't developed a midrange game which most PFs have. Solid player nonetheless.

He can hit the midrange J though he just needs to be more consistent

hawkfan
07-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't see the point of Monroe. He shouldn't play ahead of Millsap or Horford, and then we just drafted Adreian Payne and have Muscala and Mike Scott.

Horford plus Schroeder for Love.

G.O.A.T
07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Greg Monroe scouting report

Strengths
Big Body, Soft Hands
Knows how to post up
Knows how to get his shot off inside
Good passer from the high or low post
Rebounds the 4 or 5 position well
High Basketball IQ

Weaknesses