PDA

View Full Version : Sixers express interest in Avery Bradley

Dr.J4ever
07-01-2014, 12:28 PM
http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/7/1/5860110/nba-free-agency-sixers-boston-celtics-avery-bradley

Surprising? I thought we're tanki.. err,:lol rebuilding again for 1 more year? So what's up with this?

tmacattack33
07-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Decent move, even if they're plan is to tank.

Right now they have no scoring. Bradley won't help that too much, so i guess mission tank would still be on.

Noel, Embiid, and Bradley could be a great defensive core in a few years.

Jailblazers7
07-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't think it's inconsistent with a rebuild to express interest in Bradley. You can't take yourself out of the market for good young players if you are trying to build for the future.

Thorpesaurous
07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't think it's inconsistent with a rebuild to express interest in Bradley. You can't take yourself out of the market for good young players if you are trying to build for the future.

Yeah. Totally agree. Bradley is on 23. I was just saying in Gobb's thread. He makes a lot of sense on that roster because they're going to run into PGs that just aren't easy for MCW to defend because of his size.

I would wish he were a better shooter, because the Sixers seem to have no shooting. But they've spent no money to the point where they got fined for being below the minimum last year. And then their roster is loaded with rookie contracts, overseas pieces, and they have extra picks still coming. Even if it took overpaying, something like 4 years 24M, it's not like it's going to hurt they're cap position too much moving forward, because most of their roster is still going to be occupied by early contract guys. And Bradley will be 27 when that deal ends, so they'd have him really right through his best years.

AboutBuckets
07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
A defensive guard is definitely something we'll need in the future, and I've posted before about us probably trading either Noel/Embiid for one down the road. Going after one this early in the rebuild is curious, but probably not going to hurt our grand scheme too much.

Long and quick up top with MCW and Bradley, Noel and Embiid manning the paint, with an athletic wing jumping passing lanes? That could be a hell of a defense, and we'll have the athletes to run in transition

chocolatethunder
07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
He's a good (almost 40%) 3pt shooter. I dunno how much I belief this story but I doubt that they will overpay him and I'm not sure that he'll leave Boston. I think that if they got him at the right price they would nab him but I'm not sure that they're gonna sign him.

GOBB
07-01-2014, 02:15 PM
I read he turned down celtics 4/24 offer? Any truth? He seems to be seeking $8mil per.

hawkfan
07-01-2014, 02:19 PM
I read he turned down celtics 4/24 offer? Any truth? He seems to be seeking $8mil per.

He's not worth 4 years at 8 million, but for a 2 year trial at 8 million, that's a risk some team might make.

GOBB
07-01-2014, 02:21 PM
He's not worth 4 years at 8 million, but for a 2 year trial at 8 million, that's a risk some team might make.

:coleman:

hawkfan
07-01-2014, 02:23 PM
:coleman:

2 years at 8 million per?
That's a risk, but it is also giving him the opportunity to improve and show he is worth more.
That may happen. Or it may not.

But for 2 million more per season for two years, that is not a bad risk.

GOBB
07-01-2014, 02:26 PM
You need to work on typing what you mean as far as contracts. That read different than what you meant. 4 years 8 million = $2mil per year. It doesn't read $8mil per over 4yrs.

hawkfan
07-01-2014, 02:28 PM

I forgot the word "per" after 8 million in both clauses.

Thanks for the correction on my English.

Of course, the Sixers would like him at 2 million per season.

Carbine
07-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Bradley is one of the best 3&D PG/SG in the league. He deserves 8 million a year.

GOBB
07-01-2014, 02:44 PM
He doesn't deserve $8mil per. That's silly talk and overpaying for untapped potential you may feel he has and overpaying to outbid Boston who is not gonna give him that let year.

ihatetimthomas
07-01-2014, 02:48 PM
4 year 24 millions sounds about fair. His offensive game may not be on par with his defense but its not as huge a discrepancy as Tony Allen. Bradley is actually a pretty solid spot up shooter, its when he takes the ball off the dribble he is not as good. Decent pickup at this price if they get him.

D-FENS
07-01-2014, 02:48 PM
You need to work on typing what you mean as far as contracts. That read different than what you meant. 4 years 8 million = $2mil per year. It doesn't read $8mil per over 4yrs.

I read the same thing, but what do you expect from Sundeep Kothari?

Lord Bean
07-01-2014, 02:50 PM
I do not understand why this team is not looking for LEbron James. If tanking is the goal, sign Lebron. You will get team publicity and entertainment but enough losses to land in the lottery. Win win situation for both parties.

Carbine
07-01-2014, 02:58 PM
He doesn't deserve $8mil per. That's silly talk and overpaying for untapped potential you may feel he has and overpaying to outbid Boston who is not gonna give him that let year.

Ok, you think he deserves 6.

I think he's worth 8.

At the end of the day, that two millions means absolutely nothing to the 76'ers.

They have cap space out of the ass and are years away from having to resign the building blocks of the team (MCW, Embid, Noel) to larger contracts.

It comes down to do you want Bradley or not. The extra two million means nothing.

Pushxx
07-01-2014, 03:11 PM

I think he's worth 8.

At the end of the day, that two millions means absolutely nothing to the 76'ers.

They have cap space out of the ass and are years away from having to resign the building blocks of the team (MCW, Embid, Noel) to larger contracts.

It comes down to do you want Bradley or not. The extra two million means nothing.

One disadvantage of overpaying him despite cap space is his contract becomes a liability in a trade. It makes his contract unmovable without giving up assets (see Gerald Wallace).

Otherwise, the 76ers can easily temporarily overpay anybody if their ownership is okay with paying for it.

Hinkie is one of the better GMs out there, so he knows both of those things. As a Celtics fan, Avery deserves somewhere between $5-7 million. The Celtics can't afford to overpay him for his value, unlike Hinkie.

Carbine
07-01-2014, 03:15 PM
It won't be a liability. Things would have to go very, very wrong for the 76'ers to want to move him in years 1-3.

In a four year deal, it's basically three years. In the fourth year the contract becomes an asset, if Bradley turns into a scrub. The contract would be easily moved then.

chocolatethunder
07-01-2014, 03:15 PM
They won't sign him for $8million and probably won't sign him for $6million. I actually don't believe this "source". I would be shocked if Hinkie wasted any cap space on any 4 yr deal for anyone right now.

ProfessorMurder
07-01-2014, 03:19 PM
He's definitely worth 3 years / 21 million.

Something like 6 mill / 7 mill / 8 mill expiring.

Add a fourth as a team option if you need too.

Doubt Boston gives him up if they can keep him for 6 or 7.

Im so nba'd out
07-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Hope we get him he's not a bad player top 5 defensive player in the entire league too :cheers:

GOBB
07-01-2014, 03:25 PM

I think he's worth 8.

You have no basis for why you think he is worth $8mil. Extra $2mil means a lot in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't give him 4yrs $8mil per. Id keep it moving.

Carbine
07-01-2014, 03:27 PM
You have no basis for why you think he is worth $8mil. Extra $2mil means a lot in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't give him 4yrs $8mil per. Id keep it moving.

It means nothing. Stop arguing just to argue.

:no:

AI09
07-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Sixers have so much cap room that if they want to tank they are going to have to overpay some players on short term non guaranteed deals to fill the cap room. Im not sure but i think it's mandatory that your roster is worth atleast 40 mill in player contracts. So I can see a 3 year deal 7 - 8 mill per for avery.

Carbine
07-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Sixers have so much cap room that if they want to tank they are going to have to overpay some players on short term non guaranteed deals to fill the cap room. Im not sure but i think it's mandatory that your roster is worth atleast 40 mill in player contracts. So I can see a 3 year deal 7 - 8 mill per for avery.

Right.

They have 31.5 million worth of contracts right now. The cap is 63 million.

They have 13 million in committed contracts next year.

And GoBB's worried about two million :roll:

chocolatethunder
07-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Right now, not including Embiid's contract, they are at $25 million for this coming year. That's seven contracts. Embiid's will get them close to $30 million. That's eight players. Grant and Jackson and Mc Daniels will def sign and play here. That's 11 contracts and will take them up to maybe $33 million. So that means that they will have four slots to fill and $7million dollars to make up to the minimum ( which I think is actually higher). Anyway, the only penalty for not meeting the minimum cap is that you have to pay the difference that you're short. So if the minimum is $50million and you're at $45million then you just pay the $5million difference as a penalty. No big deal. I don't think that they will sign any free agents that cost more than $2-4 million for deals longer than a year or two. This is based on stuff that Hinkie has said in interviews and based on what they did last year. So I seriously doubt that they will sign or even try to sign Bradley. I think that they are just going to let these young guys play this year and see what happens.

chocolatethunder
07-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Right.

Yes so the cap floor is 56.7 million. Which means that if they aren't under the floor then they have to pay a penalty equal to the difference in their total payroll and the floor. This doesn't kick in until the last day of the season so maybe they will take something on at some point in the year. I don't expect them to sign anyone of any value for any term that would cost them flexibility in the future. That kind of stuff is explained here if anyone is interested.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-salary-cap-floor-is-meaningless-2013-9

GOBB
07-01-2014, 04:07 PM
It means nothing. Stop arguing just to argue.

:no:

You're an idiot. Sixers decide to trade him a team may not want to eat his contract for an undersized Tony allen with a 3 ball that could regress. Now you're either stuck with him or taking less value to move him.

What is your basis for paying him $8mil per? I'm interested in reading what article you will regurgitate. Oops I mean interested in your own opinion on the kid. You're suck an amazing sports fan. You talk college football, basketball, baseball, tennis golf, NFL, NBA, MLB. I'm pretty sure in leaving how sports here. Forgive me. You should get an espy for being so well versed in every area.

:rolleyes:

GOBB
07-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Right.

I'm worried about overpaying players just because you have cap space. Sixers don't have to give out contracts overpaying free agents just to use up cap space. Didn't so it last season. Don't HAVE to do it now. They can decide what player is WORTH eating up cap space. Be it free agency or via trade.

I don't feel avery bradley is $8mil per LONG TERM. What's so hard to grasp?

What do you think Thaddeus young value is given he is due $18mil and change for two seasons? Why am I asking you? Wait you're all knowing duh.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-01-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't like a Bradley/MCW backcourt. Neither is a reliable shooter.

GOBB
07-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't like a Bradley/MCW backcourt. Neither is a reliable shooter.

Which is what sixers need, reliable shooter.

Carbine
07-01-2014, 04:19 PM
I already told you.

He's one of the best 3&D PG/SG out there. I value those players high because they have two skills that are very, very important and they don't need the ball in your hands to make an impact.

It comes down to this and ONLY this - if the 76'ers feel he's a building block for their future, a proper compliment to MCW, you sign him regardless of if the price is 6 or 8 million.

I think he is. He fits the age profile (only 23) and he should work well with MCW. He can space the floor while MCW is the main ball handler, and he can defend the smaller PG's (at an elite level) that MCW might struggle with.

chocolatethunder
07-01-2014, 04:23 PM
I already told you.

He's one of the best 3&D PG/SG out there. I value those players high because they have two skills that are very, very important and they don't need the ball in your hands to make an impact.

It comes down to this and ONLY this - if the 76'ers feel he's a building block for their future, a proper compliment to MCW, you sign him regardless of if the price is 6 or 8 million.

I think he is. He fits the age profile (only 23) and he should work well with MCW. He can space the floor while MCW is the main ball handler, and he can defend the smaller PG's (at an elite level) that MCW might struggle with.
MCW is long and fast and has a 41" vert. He doesn't struggle a lot on D. At least not enough to justify signing Bradley at $8million.

RichieW
07-01-2014, 04:36 PM
If I'm the Sixers, I'd take Bradley and front load the deal. If he signs a 4 year deal starting at $m8 but ending at $6m or less, they'd preserve cap space for making a run at a free agent when their picks are still on their rookie deals and they can become a contender.

I get the idea of not using cap space for the sake of it, but they need to at least reach the league minimum which they failed to do last year and just paid everybody on their team more.

D-FENS
07-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Bradley is a bad fit. His 3pt shot is not reliable.

Carbine
07-01-2014, 04:56 PM
He just shot 40 percent on quite a bit of volume last year.

He has another 40 percent season two years ago, although not on the same volume.

If 40 percent from three isn't reliable, you have some high standards.

40 percent is damn good. I guess JJ Redick is unreliable from 3 under your guidelines.

FlawlessVictory
07-01-2014, 04:59 PM
If I'm the Sixers, I'd take Bradley and front load the deal. If he signs a 4 year deal starting at $m8 but ending at $6m or less, they'd preserve cap space for making a run at a free agent when their picks are still on their rookie deals and they can become a contender.

I get the idea of not using cap space for the sake of it, but they need to at least reach the league minimum which they failed to do last year and just paid everybody on their team more.
Almost 100% sure you can't do that in this Cba.

ballup
07-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Bradley not a reliable shooter.

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/shaq-finally-gets-it-shaq-gifs.gif

32MJ32
07-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Brett Brown is a huge fan of Paddy Mills. He had Paddy in the Australian National Team, where he was Head Coach whilst also acting as an Assistant/Player Development Guy at San Antonio, and was responsible for bringing him over. Paddy's ability to get "up and in" on D, pester ballhandlers and hit shots are qualities that I think he sees in Bradley, too.

tl;dr - Brett Brown likes fiesty small guys so it doesn't surprise me that he's keen on Bradley

GOBB
07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Brett Brown is a huge fan of Paddy Mills. He had Paddy in the Australian National Team, where he was Head Coach whilst also acting as an Assistant/Player Development Guy at San Antonio, and was responsible for bringing him over. Paddy's ability to get "up and in" on D, pester ballhandlers and hit shots are qualities that I think he sees in Bradley, too.

tl;dr - Brett Brown likes fiesty small guys so it doesn't surprise me that he's keen on Bradley

MCW, Pierre Jackson and Tony Wroten. Not sure where Patty would fit

32MJ32
07-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Hence why they aren't chasing Paddy and this thread is about Bradley?

I'm just saying - Brett Brown likes fast, feisty little guys who can shoot. Probably why they brought in Pierre as well (good signing)