PDA

View Full Version : What does Nik Stauskas has over Doug Mcdermott?

iamgine
07-02-2014, 12:03 AM
I don't watch college ball but it seems the Kings took Nik Stauskas for his excellent shooting. Well isn't Doug Mcdermott also an excellent shooter with better college stats? What does Nik Stauskas has over Doug Mcdermott (other than age)?

imdaman99
07-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Kyle Korver vs Adam Morrison :confusedshrug:

chocolatethunder
07-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Those comparisons don't apply.

McDermott is viewed as a tweener. Too small to guard PFs and too slow for SF. His shot is great and he can get it off (70% of his shots were contested). He was a senior.

Stauskas is a SG who is a sophomore. He had a huge improvement in his sophomore season so he's thought to have more room to grow even. He was a poor defender his freshman year and improved his D and got stronger. He is a very good ball handler and his projected to be able to play some minutes at the PG spot where his size will be a mismatch. Probably a better shooter than McDermott although they are both excellent and the top two shooters in the draft.

I think McDermott is an excellent fit in Chicago and I'm not sure if Stausaks was a good fit in Sacto. I would have liked to have Stauskas in Philly.

JohnFreeman
07-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Seems to be more athletic

stalkerforlife
07-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Stauskas is a much better ball handler and has a legit position at 6'6 as a SG.

I like both guys, though.

JellyBean
07-02-2014, 12:20 AM

:oldlol: But that is pretty accurate.

Nik is probably a more pure shooter than Doug Mcbucketts

chocolatethunder
07-02-2014, 12:25 AM
:oldlol: But that is pretty accurate.

Nik is probably a more pure shooter than Doug Mcbucketts
How is that accurate? They are both bettter shooters than Ammo And McDermott can score in a million ways, is way more athletic and isn't a bad defender certainly not a bad team defender. Korver hustles on D and can only hit threes. He doesn't really score many other ways. Both McDermott and Stauskas can put the ball on the floor and shoot. McDermott can also score on the block and is excellnt, probably the best in the draft moving without the ball. That comparison is no accurate at all.

chocolatethunder
07-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Seems to be more athletic
McDermott had a higher vert than Stauskas and his lane drill tests were really good. At least as good as an athlete as Stauskas but pretty sure he tested better. I'll look that up and get back to you.

bdreason
07-02-2014, 12:33 AM
He's younger.

(e)
07-02-2014, 01:01 AM
For anyone who thinks McDermott is "too slow" to play SF in the NBA. I don't think these numbers mean everything, but show some comparables in how these guys move around on the court. Knowing how to react and where to be on the court, ect are just as important imo

Player A
Lane agility 11.10 seconds
3/4 sprint 3.29 seconds
Standing vert 28.5"
Max vert 36.5"
Standing reach 8 feet 7 inches
Wingspan 6 feet 9.25 inches

Player B
Lane agility 11.73 seconds
3/4 sprint 3.22 seconds
Standing vert 30.5"
Max vert 34.5"
Standing reach 8 feet 7 inches
Wingspan 6 feet 7.75 inches

Player C
Lane agility 10.79 seconds
3/4 sprint 2.92 seconds
Standing vert 29"
Max vert 35.5"
Standing reach 8 feet 6 inches
Wingspan 6 feet 7.75 inches

Player D
Lane agility 11.05 seconds
3/4 sprint 3.29 seconds
Standing vert 25.5"
Max vert 31.5"
Standing reach 8 feet 8.5 inches
Wingspan 6 feet 9.5 inches

Player E
Lane agility 11.12 seconds
3/4 sprint 3.15 seconds
Standing vert 32"
Max vert 39"
Standing reach 8 feet 5.5 inches
Wingspan 6 feet 7.5 inches

Player F
Lane agility 11.45 seconds
3/4 sprint 3.15 seconds
Standing vert 25.5"
Max vert 32"
Standing reach 8 feet 10 inches
Wingspan 7 foot 3 inches

Player A - Doug McDermott
Player B - Gordon Hayward
Player C - Nik Stauskas
Player D - Chandler Parsons
Player E - Jimmy Butler
Player F - Kawhi Leonard

(e)
07-02-2014, 01:02 AM
In terms of going McDermott vs Stauskas. Stauskas has better ball skills.

I think McDermott is clearly a better overall scorer. They are both lights out shooters. Stauskas has better ball handling and passing ability though, which is likely why he was drafted before McDermott.

buddha
07-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Doug McDermott is the next Wally Szczerbiak

El Kabong
07-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Cool and overly complicated handshakes.

bizil
07-02-2014, 03:42 AM
Doug McDermott is the next Wally Szczerbiak

That's the comparison I always drew too. And if he can get to peak Wally type of production, that's a very good career. Wally made an All-Star team and played SG and stretch PF in addition to his main SF position. I see Doug in the that same light and I think he could likely end up better than Wally.

Bless Mathews
07-02-2014, 04:19 AM
Lol.

Nik stakus will be a way better pro.

He got that fire.

Much more athletic. Can take it to the hole and dunk on people.

I'd type even a better shooter.

RedBlackAttack
07-02-2014, 04:24 AM
Stauskas has "good NBA player" written all over him, imo. There really isn't much that he doesn't do well. Obvioulsy he has the potential to be an elite shooter, but he's also a very good rebounder and a good passer. He can even playmake when asked, as he has underrated ball-handling skills.

He's going to struggle defensively, but certainly no moreso than McDermott. I think he's a much better prospect.

turnaroundJ
07-02-2014, 05:00 AM
He seems like the shooting guard version of Gordon Hayward to me, except he's a better shooter while Hayward's more of a point forward.

bigkingsfan
07-02-2014, 05:10 AM
Good looks.

GimmeThat
07-02-2014, 05:16 AM
same reason why Brandon Roy was underrated over his peer.

ZHAKIDD532
07-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Right, the only player you can compare Nik Stauskas to is Doug McDermott...

Thorpesaurous
07-02-2014, 09:54 AM
The difference in value is really just the positional thing. Stauskas works as a SG, and if he can move to PG as he matures, it becomes a Home Run. And while he's got some defensive question marks, being 6' 6" means he can be hidden on the worst of whoever the opponents perimeter players are, because his size will keep him from being a total liability.

McDermott has far more defensive concerns at either forward position. But he is a monster scorer. He can score from the block, from catch and shoot, can put it on the floor and pull up, and he's an underrated passer.
I think he'll be fine. He's a decent rebounder that I know will compete on the glass, and honestly what I saw of him defensively he seemed to have focus issues, which should be able to get ironed out.

Take Your Lumps
07-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Unquantifiable SWAG.

Stempel, HERB
07-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Stauskas has "good NBA player" written all over him, imo. There really isn't much that he doesn't do well. Obvioulsy he has the potential to be an elite shooter, but he's also a very good rebounder and a good passer. He can even playmake when asked, as he has underrated ball-handling skills.

He's going to struggle defensively, but certainly no moreso than McDermott. I think he's a much better prospect.

:oldlol: For any of you who weren't already aware, the above poster is a HUGE homer for the University of Michigan.

Sakkreth
07-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Lithuanian blood.