PDA

View Full Version : Celtics re-sign Avery Bradley for 4 yrs $32 mill

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 09:54 AM
‏@ESPNSteinLine 6m
RT @BaxterHolmes: Can confirm that the #Celtics & RFA Avery Bradley have agreed to a deal. Terms: Four-year deal worth $32 million

8 mill a year? They've got Young/Smart coming in...does this signal that Rondo's time is coming close to an end?

chocolatethunder
07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I knew that there was no way in hell Philly signed him. I think $8mil/yr is high but once Meeks got signed I guess that set the market to overpay guys who can shoot a little.

bagelred
07-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Avery Bradley is young and smart, and we know from the draft, Celtics like players who are Young and Smart.

But, DAMN NIGGAH!, that's a lot of money.

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Avery Bradley is young and smart, and we know from the draft, Celtics like players who are Young and Smart.

6 mill for Meeks. 8 mill for Bradley. I can see Lance getting 10 mill...

-Lebron23-
07-02-2014, 10:16 AM

:facepalm :lol

CHi1PriDe
07-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Overpaid, esp with his history of injuries and offensive game :rolleyes:

Derka
07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Damn, $8 mill?

His 3-point % is okay at 40%, but I need to see more improvement this off-season for me to get on board with this deal. I'd like to see him shooting in the 50% range from the floor...I'd like to see him avoid the nagging injuries he tends to pick up...and I need to see him continue being one of the tougher one-on-one defenders at his position.

Time to cut bait on Johnson and Babb's team options as we clearly aren't lacking in guard depth and use the last of the bit of cap space we have to get some size. Kelly and Vitor aren't nearly enough.

JohnFreeman
07-02-2014, 10:26 AM
I always though the Cs should have kept Crawford

Rubio2Gasol
07-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Only works with him and Smart. I like it there, actually.

Rondo getting traded.

BlackWhiteGreen
07-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Ehhh... I'm glad they resigned him, and whilst $8m is a bit higher than I expected, if the market is 3 years/$19m for Jodie Meeks then I guess it's about right.

Overall, it's a positive move. He's still only 23 and with his defensive ability it's still tradeable.

The_Night_Elf
07-02-2014, 10:41 AM
He's a good player don't get me wrong. I thought he would be around the 6 mil range though.

BlackWhiteGreen
07-02-2014, 10:51 AM
I guess you can look at it as him taking up 12% of the cap, which is a bit easier to swallow. If we backload it too he could be getting as little as $7.1 this year... Kid just needs to get healthy

wally_world
07-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Is he good? Can Miami get him?

gasolina
07-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Whatever happend to Boston getting Love to pair with Rondo?

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't think they have the best assets...but we will see. I heard a rumor before the draft that if they don't get Love, they're going to get rid of Rondo and allow a full on rebuild.

Derka
07-02-2014, 11:06 AM
The best the Celtics could offer the Wolves was a few young pieces and a bunch of first rounders, but Flip isn't interested in selling Minny fans on another rebuild with young kids; he wants as much established, proven talent as he can get for a guy of Love's caliber.

Can't say I blame him. The KG trade was pretty disasterous for them and I'm sure Flip doesn't want them to get fleeced again.

Derka
07-02-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't think they have the best assets...but we will see. I heard a rumor before the draft that if they don't get Love, they're going to get rid of Rondo and allow a full on rebuild.

The strategy right now, and this was from Gary Washburn at the Globe on the radio this morning on my way into work, is to not actively shop Rondo but absolutely be listening for what other teams will offer in exchange for him by the deadline; business as usual for Danny Ainge, really. I honestly think Brad Stevens *loves* having a wealth of guards who can shoot, penetrate, dish and be generally disruptive on defense. Somewhere in this group are the combinations we need to do all of that. I just worry about our lack of size.

Meanwhile, Wyc Grousbeck has said outright that if other teams don't want to deal with what we've got to offer then we'll just "play the kids" and rebuild the hard way. He and Steve Pagliuca and Danny seem to be okay with that, but they'll expedite the process wherever possible.

gasolina
07-02-2014, 11:17 AM

The best the Celtics could offer the Wolves was a few young pieces and a bunch of first rounders, but Flip isn't interested in selling Minny fans on another rebuild with young kids; he wants as much established, proven talent as he can get for a guy of Love's caliber.

Can't say I blame him. The KG trade was pretty disasterous for them and I'm sure Flip doesn't want them to get fleeced again.
Still better than getting nothing next year. It's not like their current Core sans Love of Rubio, Martin, Pekovic are one guy away from making noise.

GimmeThat
07-02-2014, 11:21 AM
gutsy move.

what they really did here was shorten Bradley's contract extension by 1 year (hence, removing the qualifying offer year and the problems after that)

they don't risk losing Bradley, who looking at their back court, Rondo/Smart/Bradley while lack some size, should at least put them at a position not far back from the better back courts in the league.

chances are that unless they get Love, they will be receiving another lottery pick next year with plenty of cap still.

I think the Celtics will try to make a trade for a young talent, instead of a proven veteran. they'll tap the veteran market with their MLE bi-annual etc.

unless this new contract doesn't kick in until next year.

then I'm not very sure why they did this.

DMAVS41
07-02-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't think it's a bad overpay honestly.

His value is somewhere between 6 and 7 million...probably right at 6.5 in my opinion.

So it's not great value yet again, but it's not terrible. Also, part of this is for potential growth of the player.

So while the Celtics overpaid by roughly 15% in my opinion...there is no reason to think that Bradley just stays at his same level over the course of the contract.

It is certainly possible that Bradley improves his overall game by 10 to 20 percent at some point during the contract.

So not ideal, but they did lock up a hard working elite defensive guard that can shoot the three...and is only 23 at this moment.

This is a better signing, in my opinion, than Meeks for example.

GOBB
07-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Danny Green wishes he were a free agent right now

BlackWhiteGreen
07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Danny Green wishes he were a free agent right now

He could have got that deal last year. Jodie freaking Meeks, who does exactly one thing well, just got $6m a year.

And for what it's worth, Bradley is a better defender, scored 5ppg more last season and Green only shot 2% better on 3s last year.

HylianNightmare
07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Rondo to L.A.

BlackWhiteGreen
07-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Rondo to L.A.

For what

salwan
07-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Im happy we resigned bradley
I still have high hopes for him. kid is a worker and has the right head screwed on his shoulders.

ballup
07-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Not a bad deal if Bradley produces a similar level. Would be a good one if Bradley improves on something ie attacking the basket off the dribble