PDA

View Full Version : Hinkie: Saric worth the wait(nice article)

Dr.J4ever
07-02-2014, 10:36 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20140702_Hinkie_feels_Saric_is_worth_the_wait.html

Future looking good?:applause:

excerpts:

It's coming up on three years since Paul Hewitt stepped into a gym in Riga, Latvia, and glimpsed the player who perhaps best embodies the 76ers' still-distant future.

On July 6, 2011, Hewitt was coaching the United States' team in the FIBA Under-19 World Championships, and the Americans had gone 5-0 before facing Croatia and one of the tournament's most curious attractions: a small-forward phenom named Dario Saric.

Because Riga is less than 100 miles north of the Latvia-Lithuania border, Arena Riga would be packed for any game in which one of those two Baltic States was competing. But for United States-Croatia, Hewitt said, "nobody was there." Pity that so many missed the chance to see what Hewitt did: the kind of performance that validated the fascination that Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie and other NBA talent evaluators have long had with Saric.

Against a team that included Doug McDermott and pros Jeremy Lamb and Tim Hardaway Jr., Saric was the difference in an 87-85 Croatia victory that day. He scored 17 points, grabbed eight rebounds, and made those few fortunate witnesses forget that he was just 17 years old - nearly two years younger than the youngest player on the U.S. roster.

From the sideline, Hewitt watched as a gangly kid who hadn't yet grown into the 6-foot-10, 223-pound frame he inhabits today dominated the Americans from the high and low posts, controlling the pace of play, finding teammates cutting to the basket, hitting fadeaway jump shots and runners across the lane. Once the game ended, Hewitt offered the sort of heady comparison that compelled the Sixers to trade for Saric's rights during last week's NBA draft.

"Just a multidimensional talent," Hewitt, the head coach at George Mason University and a former assistant at Villanova, said in a telephone interview. "I said to somebody on my staff, 'I imagine that's what Dirk Nowitzki looked like at that age.' "

AboutBuckets
07-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Hopefully people won't slam this article claiming it's comparing future Saric to Nowitzki/other Hall of Fame players mentioned in the article, and just focus on the material. Definitely a great read, thanks for posting. Makes me even more excited about this pick

BoutPractice
07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
If he becomes a reliable long range weapon, the sky is the limit for him on the offensive end.

mattvNJ
07-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Cant wait for Euroleague to come in and discredit everything about this thread or anything pertaining to the NBA.

chocolatethunder
07-02-2014, 11:55 AM
If he becomes a reliable long range weapon, the sky is the limit for him on the offensive end.
You said it. Adding that will open everything up for him.

Dr.J4ever
07-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I haven't been this pumped about the Sixers since 2001. It seems Hinkie is making all the moves we always wanted management to do. We're building for the future, and we're sort of becoming the Spurs of the East. What Hinkie is doing with Saric is what the Spurs did with Robinson when they drafted him and he had to serve in the Navy for 2 years.Same with Manu, who played and developed his game in Italy. Now it's Saric.

We also have to give credit to ownership, where it all starts. Hinkie wouldn't be possible without ownership who are willing to deffer short term gains in order to achieve true greatness, not just being good.

no pun intended
07-02-2014, 12:13 PM
It's not too often that you find a 6 10 player who effectively uses the euro step and has good handles and court awareness.

2LeTTeRS
07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I haven't been this pumped about the Sixers since 2001. It seems Hinkie is making all the moves we always wanted management to do. We're building for the future, and we're sort of becoming the Spurs of the East. What Hinkie is doing with Saric is what the Spurs did with Robinson when they drafted him and he had to serve in the Navy for 2 years.Same with Manu, who played and developed his game in Italy. Now it's Saric.

We also have to give credit to ownership, where it all starts. Hinkie wouldn't be possible without ownership who are willing to deffer short term gains in order to achieve true greatness, not just being good.

:facepalm:wtf: :roll:

GOBB
07-02-2014, 12:52 PM
:facepalm:wtf: :roll:

You mad or nah?

STATUTORY
07-02-2014, 12:54 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: delusional low class prole philly cretin spotted

ZenMaster
07-02-2014, 01:03 PM

Timberwolves did the same with Rubio, are they the new Spurs?