View Full Version : Ben Gordon signs to Magic, 2yr/9mil

L3B120N J4M35
07-02-2014, 01:04 PM
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/484381238308782082

Levity
07-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Magic making moves

:applause:

but damn. ben gordon's career really went down the toilet after a pretty good playoff run with the bulls back in the day

RoundMoundOfReb
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Huge overpay

STATUTORY
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
honestly didnt' know he was still in the league

jameer curled up in fetal position, crying, losing hope, weeping while watching tmac orlando days on VHS and singing the tune to "I dreamed a dream"

GatorKid117
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Well, if there is one thing Ben Gordon can still provide its shooting and everyone knows the Magic badly need that. Seems a little pricey to me but we need to add salary so whatever.

Fudge
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Did this guy even play last year? How the fukk was he able to somehow scoop out 4.5 mill per?

Oh yeah, it's the Orlando Tragic. Shit franchise. :oldlol:

Nash
07-02-2014, 01:11 PM
WAT

dude wasn't even in the league last year

yo jameer dafack is your team doing

GimmeThat
at least Aaron has a lot less pressure on carrying the scoring load now.

dirkdiggler41
I hate to see players like Gordon go to teams like magic and bobcats. I want to see him in the playoff again, I want to see him playing meaningful minutes.

mattvNJ
this guy was so bad last year he barely sniffed any minutes. Really interested to see what the magics big plan is here. Unfortunate small markets cant snag bigger names. Would love some talent distribution throughout the league rather than some tanking for picks.

Heavincent
07-02-2014, 01:14 PM
What the hell are the Magic doing?

No wonder there's a lack of parity. Most of the GM's in the East are idiots. They overpay a bunch of guys and then wonder why they suck.

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
What the hell are the Magic doing?

No wonder there's a lack of parity. Most of the GM's in the East are idiots. They overpay a bunch of guys and then wonder why they suck.
I think this contract has to do with them needing to get to the minimum team salary requirement.

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 01:19 PM
@daldridgetnt 23s
Two yr/$9M deal for Ben Gordon (Yahoo! first) has club option for yr two, per sources. Magic want to see if he can get through '14 healthy.

Makes more sense.

Levity
07-02-2014, 01:20 PM
I think this contract has to do with them needing to get to the minimum team salary requirement.

I'm thinking so too, and the team also lacks vets. (more so with AA and Nelson gone) but the team is obviously lottery bound next year. so you would think they would take that money they gave gordon, and try their luck with another young player in the league. IE Bazemore.

Clyde
07-02-2014, 01:21 PM
WAT

dude wasn't even in the league last year

yo jameer dafack is your team doing

there's a minimum you have to spend....?

cant think of any other excuse

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Yes, there's a minimum.

Also, the 2nd year is a team option.

It's essentially a 1 yr 4.5 mill deal, which is just fine.

VIntageNOvel
07-02-2014, 01:23 PM

jameer curled up in fetal position, crying, losing hope, weeping while watching tmac orlando days on VHS and singing the tune to "I dreamed a dream"

:lol

hawksdogsbraves
07-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Maybe this was Hennigan's plan all along when he basically gave Afflalo away for free :oldlol:

I guess if you're trying to tank it makes sense :roll:

Smook A.
07-02-2014, 01:26 PM
I guess its an okay move. He can give them a solid 12-14 ppg.

Im just a little concerned cause the last time he played was March

Jameerthefear
07-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Trying to meet minimum. Good move

Droid101
07-02-2014, 01:36 PM

That little assbag was a toddler when TMac was on the Magic.

NugzFan
07-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Of course your biased ass thinks it's a good move. You think everything Orlando does is good. That's why you have no credibility and your posts are worthless.

Clyde
07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Of course your biased ass thinks it's a good move. You think everything Orlando does is good. That's why you have no credibility and your posts are worthless.

100% correct.

Take Your Lumps
07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Sign all the Gordons!! Get Eric on the phone!

-Lebron23-
Holy sh

Droid101

It's not a hard minimum though.

If you don't meet the minimum (for example, the Sixers did not last season), then you just have to take the difference and spread it among your players evenly at the end of the year.

-Lebron23-
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Jailblazers7
07-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Keep gettin dem checks, Ben. :applause:

It really is a shame to see his career spiral after enjoying his game at UCONN and in CHI. I'm glad he is till getting a chance to play.

TMT
07-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I like it. Low risk, high reward signing. Solid first piece to add to our new backcourt rotation if he can stay healthy.

Le Shaqtus
07-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Did this guy even play last year? How the fukk was he able to somehow scoop out 4.5 mill per?

Oh yeah, it's the Orlando Tragic. Shit franchise. :oldlol:

:rolleyes:

Also I'd like to pretend the Magic know what they're doing, but I have no clue.

Good thing I have college football :lol

DMAVS41
07-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Good signing...overpaid and he'll help them suck next year.

HylianNightmare
07-02-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't hate it. Hope he has something left

Brokenbeat
07-02-2014, 02:22 PM

:oldlol:

bagelred
07-02-2014, 02:33 PM
"It's pronounced Gor-dahn."

DukeDelonte13
07-02-2014, 02:36 PM
good pick up.

If he balls they got a great deal. If he sucks they cut him after one season.

What's the problem? :confusedshrug:

Rubio2Gasol
07-02-2014, 02:38 PM
A bit of social engineering I suspect.

Ben Gordon had legendary work ethic back in the day, not sure about now, but if he can translate that to the youths, it will be worth it.

bagelred
07-02-2014, 02:41 PM
good pick up.

No problem at all. Harmless contract. Unless Magic were going to save cap space for a big time free agent, which i guess they aren't.

bagelred
07-02-2014, 02:43 PM

My understanding of the cap (and I could be wrong) is you have to spend 90% of the cap (which is ridiculous). HOWEVER, if you miss 90%, they simply raise the salary of the entire team (I guess proportionally) so you pay out the 90% amount.

Parenthesis are awesome (at least I think so.)

Levity
07-02-2014, 02:44 PM
good pick up.

yeah, theres no issue with the signing, and its even better with the team option. however, that backcourt is pretty small. both starters and bench. they probably could have picked up james anderson for the same amount, if not cheaper. hed at least give them size in the backcourt

Boarder Patrol
07-02-2014, 02:47 PM

Why not just keep Jameer then? Or take back some salary in the Afflalo deal to get additional assets? OR take back salary from another team for some assets and to meet the minimum? This is the oddest thing they could have done.

Henny is making me scratch my head this off season.

hawkfan
07-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Awful.

Jameerthefear
07-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Why not just keep Jameer then? Or take back some salary in the Afflalo deal to get additional assets? OR take back salary from another team for some assets and to meet the minimum? This is the oddest thing they could have done.

Henny is making me scratch my head this off season.
Jameer probably wanted to go to a contender. As far as taking back salary w/ AA I wouldn't be surprised if CHI gives us picks to take Boozer's contract so they can sign Melo. Or the same with Lin. We still have a lot of room

Jameerthefear
07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
It's a 1-year deal jackass :oldlol: Calm your tis.

NugzFan
07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
It's a 1-year deal jackass :oldlol: Calm your tis.

My post still stands. you are a homer with zero cred. You would give hennigan an A if he signed Kerry kittles

TheMarkMadsen
07-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Magic are a Sebastian Telfair signing away from having the GOAT off season

Rocketswin2013
07-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Lol Orlando

no pun intended
07-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Magic are high on Gordons.

Dengness9
07-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Jameer probably wanted to go to a contender. As far as taking back salary w/ AA I wouldn't be surprised if CHI gives us picks to take Boozer's contract so they can sign Melo. Or the same with Lin. We still have a lot of room

I know for damn sure the Bulls are looking to trade Booz instead of amnesty him for reasons of having the MLE and BAE.

A team like the Magic or Philly for 1 year is probably the move.

Please GOD.

Dengness9
07-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Magic are high on Gordons.

outbreak
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Nit sure why people think it's a bad move. We are tanking and need vet shooters and are under the minimum salary and the second year is a team option.

fatboy11
07-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Not all that bad of a move at all. Essentially, it's a one-year deal for reasonable money. They're not looking to make huge FA upgrade this season anyway, and Gordon's a guy that, if motivated, can easily play up to or above that 4.5 million dollar price tag. He's gotta prove it, though, because it feels like he just gave up the last couple of years. I understand that's some familiarity in the front office with the assistant GM having worked in Detroit.

ballup
07-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Let's be honest. Aside from Pistons fans, who else remembered that Gordon was in the league?

SamuraiSWISH
07-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Dude has been garbage, irrelevant since the 2009 playoffs. I didn't honestly know he was still even in the league. Not joking. Meanwhile Kirk Hinrich is still a major contributor to a perennial playoff team. And some Bulls fans had the nerve to act like Gordon was the better player.

fatboy11
07-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Let's be honest. Aside from Pistons fans, who else forgot that Gordon was in the league?

He technically wasn't. Only played 19 games last season and did not end the season on an NBA roster.

kurple
07-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Nit sure why people think it's a bad move. We are tanking and need vet shooters and are under the minimum salary and the second year is a team option.
because they could have gotten him for the vets min. and had more cap space incase lebron suddenly wants to play for orlando or a team desperately wants to get rid of some salary

cap space never hurts. shouldnt spend it just to spend it, even if there is a minimum

Jameerthefear
07-02-2014, 05:34 PM
because they could have gotten him for the vets min. and had more cap space incase lebron suddenly wants to play for orlando or a team desperately wants to get rid of some salary

cap space never hurts. shouldnt spend it just to spend it, even if there is a minimum
we still have more than enough space to take on more salary if need be.

kurple
07-02-2014, 05:34 PM
i thought everyone that watched the NBA closely knew he was with the bobcats last season

and that he played like crap

outbreak
07-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Dude has been garbage, irrelevant since the 2009 playoffs. I didn't honestly know he was still even in the league. Not joking. Meanwhile Kirk Hinrich is still a major contributor to a perennial playoff team. And some Bulls fans had the nerve to act like Gordon was the better player.
They don't want a contributor they want a bench vet who won't take to much time from rookies like maxiell did. Inconsistent minutes essentially one year boosts ys closer to minimum salary which I believe we are 20mil away from after waiving jameet and can be used to match salaries in future trades

kurple
07-02-2014, 05:36 PM
we still have more than enough space to take on more salary if need be.
yeah i know. but i just dont see the point in spending just to spend. you never know what deals might be on the table in 3 months

Jameerthefear
07-02-2014, 05:37 PM
yeah i know. but i just dont see the point in spending just to spend. you never know what deals might be on the table in 3 months
if someone good comes the devos's really don't care about paying the luxury.

kurple
07-02-2014, 05:37 PM
and can be used to match salaries in future trades
this makes some sense

Levity
07-02-2014, 05:40 PM
the team just waived ronnie price today (no big deal), but damn, theyre releasing everyone. so it makes you think that if this gordon move was to meet minimum salary, then theyre probably going to make another weird signing like this considering they keep waiving dudes.

Chauncey billups, come on down!! (could honestly be a good pick up for the rooks and youngins, but no way he does it)

FlawlessVictory
07-02-2014, 07:49 PM
It's a one year deal with the second only partially guaranteed . Low risk move.

Think it's about time the Magic stop tanking and actually try to win few games... Crazy concept in the East I know.

Payton
Olidipo/Gordon/Fournier
Harris/Harkless
Gordon/Nicholson
Vucivic

Potentially a fantastic defensive roster but they badly need offense. Plenty of cap room to try and get some offensive talent in.

sick_brah07
07-02-2014, 09:22 PM
It's a one year deal with the second only partially guaranteed . Low risk move.

Think it's about time the Magic stop tanking and actually try to win few games... Crazy concept in the East I know.

Payton
Olidipo/Gordon/Fournier
Harris/Harkless
Gordon/Nicholson
Vucivic

Potentially a fantastic defensive roster but they badly need offense. Plenty of cap room to try and get some offensive talent in.

i hate what orlando have done, we are gonna be at best a 4th seed and make the second round once this roster matures, we still need that one star (somehow some way i hope gordon can do that but i highly doubt it)

ben gordon is gona come in take a shit load of shots away from oladipo and payton trying to get himself one last decent contract in the nba and the coach will let him because he will try save his job by winning games

same thing happens all the time, why in gods name do i support these guys

Crystallas
07-03-2014, 01:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/R6DiZnz.jpg

AirTupac
07-03-2014, 01:34 AM
How does a franchise **** up so badly?

First the trade, then the draft and now this?

Orlando Tragic back and better than ever

http://cdn2.tauntr.com/sites/default/files/OrlandoTragic-Ad.jpg

FlawlessVictory
07-03-2014, 05:20 AM
i hate what orlando have done, we are gonna be at best a 4th seed and make the second round once this roster matures, we still need that one star (somehow some way i hope gordon can do that but i highly doubt it)

ben gordon is gona come in take a shit load of shots away from oladipo and payton trying to get himself one last decent contract in the nba and the coach will let him because he will try save his job by winning games

same thing happens all the time, why in gods name do i support these guys

Who would you have taken above Olidipo, Gordon and Payton in their respective drafts?

Personally, I see Olidipo as the right choice. I would have taken Exum and possibly Smart over Gordon. Then probably Doug McDermott for some badly needed offense over Payton.

With that said, I don't think history will see them as having made a major mistake in any draft. They were just 'unlucky' to not win the lottery this year and have a high pick in a rubbish draft last year. The only move I really disliked was the Affallo trade. I like Fournier but surely they could have gotten more.

They just badly need to make a few well judged free agency signings and/or trades. I'm also not 100% convinced that Vaughan is the right coach to move the franchise forward.

GimmeThat
07-03-2014, 05:29 AM
are they even going to put the Ben Gordon jersey for sale on the Orlando Magic website?

qrich
07-03-2014, 07:09 AM
I thought Orlando was going to make the playoffs Jameer

:roll:

:roll:

El Kabong
07-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Not too bad. They desperately need someone who can shoot from the backcourt and Gordon is probably the best available who doesn't want a long term deal. It's one year to provide some help vet help for their young backcourt and then they can use him as a salary dump for a team, or cut him themselves.

longtime lurker
07-03-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm certain they could of had him for the minimum. What was the point in trading Affalo if they're just going to sign garbage

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Not too bad. They desperately need someone who can shoot from the backcourt and Gordon is probably the best available who doesn't want a long term deal. It's one year to provide some help vet help for their young backcourt and then they can use him as a salary dump for a team, or cut him themselves.

They also desperately need to suck next year and get a top 5 pick. Gordon will help them as he isn't a good player.

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 07:33 AM
I'm certain they could of had him for the minimum. What was the point in trading Affalo if they're just going to sign garbage

They probably realized, sadly a year too late, that it's better to be terrible right now and play all your young guys.

How the Magic handled the Afflalo and Nelson situations last year and just the entire year in general was one of the most pathetic things I've seen in some time in the NBA.

They could not have done a worse job.

Jameerthefear
07-03-2014, 07:34 AM
this isn't a "sucking" move. this is a "we're gonna let the young players loose and if we make the playoffs it's up to them, if not it's okay" move

Jameerthefear
07-03-2014, 07:34 AM
they have a lot of money. it's a one year deal.

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 07:39 AM
this isn't a "sucking" move. this is a "we're gonna let the young players loose and if we make the playoffs it's up to them, if not it's okay" move

I don't see how they make the playoffs with this roster...which is a good thing. The Magic should let all the young guys play...and that in turn will lead them to being one of the 5 worst teams in the league likely. Which again, is a great thing for the future of this team.

Jameerthefear
07-03-2014, 07:41 AM
^^ doesn't watch the magic. opinion null

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 07:47 AM

i really think you need to learn simple logic.

the magic should tank next year. and they should have done it last year as well instead of playing Afflalo and Nelson a ton of minutes and getting nothing of note in return while hurting their own draft pick.

The Magic suck right now, but they have a super bright future if they play their cards right. They need one more elite prospect and then they should start making active efforts to make the playoffs.

Next year is not the year though....they need to suck one more year for this thing to be built out properly.

ZenMaster
07-03-2014, 08:16 AM
I don't see how they make the playoffs with this roster...which is a good thing. The Magic should let all the young guys play...and that in turn will lead them to being one of the 5 worst teams in the league likely. Which again, is a great thing for the future of this team.

They need to fix this crap so we don't sit and applaud teams for losing on purpose.

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Yea...because trying to make the playoffs this year makes more sense than sucking again and getting stanley johnson or mudiay next year....or another quality big.

You could potentially have;

Mudiay, Oladipo, Payton, Gordon, Vucevic, Fournier, Harris, and Harkless with plenty of cap flexibility moving forward.

Do you realize how good that potentially is if Gordon and their pick in 2015 actually pan out?

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 08:21 AM
They need to fix this crap so we don't sit and applaud teams for losing on purpose.

Oh I agree, but it's just dumb for the Magic to do what they did last year. Afflalo and Nelson added a combined 10.2 wins to the team that should have been doing everything to lose as many games as possible while trading Afflalo and Nelson for peak value.

They did neither.

Next year is the same situation. It's a very good draft next year and if the Magic got a top 3 pick...their young core would be absurdly good and deep and they'd be able to start filling in the roster with free agents (wouldn't need a star free agent here)...

GimmeThat
07-03-2014, 08:58 AM
George Karl adds 10 win to this team.

okay, more like 7, because 30+ sounds like a good breaking point.

Jameerthefear
07-03-2014, 08:59 AM
George Karl adds 10 win to this team.

okay, more like 7, because 30+ sounds like a good breaking point.
we would have won 30+ this year if we weren't tanking.

Haymaker
07-03-2014, 09:07 AM
I hate to see players like Gordon go to teams like magic and bobcats. I want to see him in the playoff again, I want to see him playing meaningful minutes.

He seems to care less about being in the playoffs than you. The dude just likes getting paid.

GimmeThat
07-03-2014, 09:14 AM

why else did Jameer and Affalo got let go?

so the rookies can get more playing time even though they aren't nessecarily the better player.

but at least they do it in a fashion where they don't even pay the veterans and just let them go.

swag.

it's not like they are getting better players at those position with veterans to tank again.

me swag.

step_back
07-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Magic making moves

but damn. ben gordon's career really went down the toilet after a pretty good playoff run with the bulls back in the day

His ego got the best of him. He could have been a great 6th man for a whole bunch of teams but he believed he was a starter. He's an undersized 2 guard. I look at him as a Nate Robinson type of player except Nate knew his place. He's lucky that the magic brought him back. He's 32 next year.

I'm pleased to see him back in the NBA though. He used to light it up for us back in the day!

qrich
07-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Ben Gordon and Willie Green will lead you to the promised lands