PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley is getting exposed this offseason.

Springsteen
07-02-2014, 07:51 PM
http://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/484419516705677312

@SamAmicoFSO
Talk around NBA is Heat plan on luring free agents other than own not coming together. Also told reported $$ on Bosh and Wade is incorrect.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2542717.1392778003!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/lowry-kyle-140218.jpg

Miami was supposedly looking to target these two in the offseason, as focal points. Both of them were/are being locked up by their respective teams immediately (Washington and Toronto). Combine this with players such as Anderson looking for a payday, it seems like Miami, led by Pat Riley isn't really making a big splash in the FA market so far.

But wait, what about Ariza and Deng? Isn't Pat going to convince them to sign?

http://twitter.com/CSNWizards/status/484153299000909824

The #Wizards are already in talks with Trevor Ariza and could lock him up sooner than anticipated #WizardsTalk

This one's important...

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/484038939758829568

@Chris_Broussard
Hearing that Luol Deng will not take significantly less than his market value to join Heat

Pat Riley aka "The Godfather" in action ladies and gentlemen.

People act like Riley was the big reason Lebron came to Miami, when really it was private discussions between Wade, Bosh, and him which pretty much sealed it. He is not some executive genius because he convinced some veterans with a few years left who wanted to win some rings to sign cheap with 3 all-stars, and it's showing.

The trading up to draft Shabazz Napier compounds this, as it reeks desperation. Is Shabazz a bad player by any means? No, but it shows that Riley and the FO is desperate for Lebron to stay, not the other way around.

Miami will probably still be in contention for awhile, but I look forward to seeing how the big 3 manage to stay with Lebron seeking the max coming into next season.

navy
07-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Didnt free agency start yesterday lol?

FlawlessVictory
07-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Revisit this thread in a week or so.

The Heat and Riley always land on their feet; I fully expect this off season to be no different.

Don't believe all you read. Sam Amico is one of the most clueless and ill-informed 'reporters' out there.

mattvNJ
07-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Looks like theyre gonna have to keep their usually core and switch up some role players. Rather unfortunate

G-train
07-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Horrible thread.

Pat Riley exposed? It is proven fact that he is a fantastic basketball mind... as player, coach and President.

If they don't sign anybody, the above still stands.

JohnMax
07-02-2014, 08:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jJOZdbX.png

Droid101
07-02-2014, 08:03 PM
The Heat and Riley always land on their feet; I fully expect this off season to be no different.

Yeah, like when he picked Beasley over:

1. Russell Westbrook (4)***
2. Kevin Love (5)***
4. Serge Ibaka (24)**
5. Goran Dragic (45)**
6. Roy Hibbert (17)*
7. Brook Lopez (10)*
8. Nicolas Batum (25)
9. DeAndre Jordan (35)
10. Nikola Pekovic (31)
11. Ryan Anderson (21)
12. Omer Asik (36)
13. Eric Gordon (7)
14. Danilo Gallinari (6)
15. George Hill (26)
16. Robin Lopez (15)

WHOOPS

Kblaze8855
Hes been in the league as a coach/exec for 30 years....hes won 7 rings...and built contenders twice who didnt win. The Lakers were there for him to win with but he got the Knicks within Hakeems pinky on Starks jumper from winning it all in 6 games in 94. The Heat were a 60+ win team in the late 90s and he built them from scratch(Signed/traded for Zo, Timmy, Mashburn, and Majerle). Zos kidney issues ruined them but....within 3 years he had them in a game 7 in the ECF....won it all the next season. Blew it up 2 years later....2 years after that he had the best FA summer in NBA history. Won 2 rings in 4 years.

How in the ****...would a bad summer expose a man who already has 7 rings and turned every stop into a contender?

Its like saying Red Aurabach got exposed when he drafted Montross and Antione instead of Eddie Jones and Kobe when the Celtics fell off.

After 50 years of success....you can no longer be exposed.

Kinda the same after 30....

EnoughSaid
Huh? It was never some sort of dream that would include us signing two marquee guys. We established earlier that it's going to be one above average player that's going to come in and contribute. After that it's just role players.

I actually think the key here is Wade strengthening his body and getting healthier. If he comes back strong then that's better and worth more than any free agent signings.

G-train
07-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Yeah, like when he picked Beasley over:

1. Russell Westbrook (4)***
2. Kevin Love (5)***
4. Serge Ibaka (24)**
5. Goran Dragic (45)**
6. Roy Hibbert (17)*
7. Brook Lopez (10)*
8. Nicolas Batum (25)
9. DeAndre Jordan (35)
10. Nikola Pekovic (31)
11. Ryan Anderson (21)
12. Omer Asik (36)
13. Eric Gordon (7)
14. Danilo Gallinari (6)
15. George Hill (26)
16. Robin Lopez (15)

WHOOPS

Beasley was a CONSENSUS top 2 pick that season.

You are a DOLT if you define Pat Riley based on that draft.

Droid101
07-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Beasley was a CONSENSUS top 2 pick that season.

You are a DOLT if you define Pat Riley based on that draft.
I don't "define" him by anything. But saying "Riley and the Heat always land on their feet in the offseason" is untrue. He picked one of the worst players in recent drafts at a number 2 spot.

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Sam Amico is garbage. His sources outside of the Cavs organization are complete bull shit. He always reports shit that contradicts what Woj,Stein, etc report. I don't buy a word he says unless it's w/ the Cavs and then I still take a big ass grain of salt.

jzek
07-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Wow, what happened? Seriously? Not to long ago every free agent wanted to join the Heat and take a paycut. Now all of a sudden every FA is avoiding them! Such a turnaround...

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 08:11 PM
I don't "define" him by anything. But saying "Riley and the Heat always land on their feet in the offseason" is untrue. He picked one of the worst players in recent drafts at a number 2 spot.
Beasley was essentially the consensus #1 pick all the way until maybe a week before the draft. His season at K State is one of the best ever for an individual. Every single GM in the league would have drafted him at 2. hindsight much? :oldlol:

RoundMoundOfReb
07-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Hof career as coach
Hof career as executive

But exposed because of 2 days of not signing a FA...makes sense

AnaheimLakers24
07-02-2014, 08:27 PM
he never had nothing to do with bran going to miami. it was all wade an bosh convincing him. pat is trash

#number6ix#
07-02-2014, 08:29 PM
If you ever disrespect Pat Riley again I WILL FIND YOU AND FVCK YOU UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldrush25
07-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Didnt free agency start yesterday lol?
Yes.:oldlol:

In another week it's going to be stacked this and collusion that. Bunch of bipolar idiots.

Droid101
07-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Beasley was essentially the consensus #1 pick all the way until maybe a week before the draft. His season at K State is one of the best ever for an individual. Every single GM in the league would have drafted him at 2. hindsight much? :oldlol:
So then you're a fan of the Cavaliers and their picking unexpected players higher than the "expected" pick lately, yes?

coin24
07-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Then why are the big 3 betas opting out if there's not really any decent FAs left to sign:confusedshrug:

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 08:43 PM
So then you're a fan of the Cavaliers and their picking unexpected players higher than the "expected" pick lately, yes?
I'm not the biggest fan of some of the Cavs recent picks...but that has nothing to do with this. That year was specifically Rose/Beasley and until the very end, Beasley was right there in the convo. It really was like Wiggins/Parker in terms of everyone knew those were 1/2 and everyone would have picked them like that. Shit happens, guys don't pan out...but it's not like they selected Thabeet at #2 :oldlol:

BlazerRed
07-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Bit early for this.. I hope you're right but I wouldn't count Miami and the collusion out yet.

Heatles201
07-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Hes been in the league as a coach/exec for 30 years....hes won 7 rings...and built contenders twice who didnt win. The Lakers were there for him to win with but he got the Knicks within Hakeems pinky on Starks jumper from winning it all in 6 games in 94. The Heat were a 60+ win team in the late 90s and he built them from scratch(Signed/traded for Zo, Timmy, Mashburn, and Majerle). Zos kidney issues ruined them but....within 3 years he had them in a game 7 in the ECF....won it all the next season. Blew it up 2 years later....2 years after that he had the best FA summer in NBA history. Won 2 rings in 4 years.

How in the ****...would a bad summer expose a man who already has 7 rings and turned every stop into a contender?

Its like saying Red Aurabach got exposed when he drafted Montross and Antione instead of Eddie Jones and Kobe when the Celtics fell off.

right on the money.

LA Lakers
07-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Stop dissing Pat Riley. He got 3 max contract franchise players in their prime, and one of them happens to be the best basketball player in the world. The Decision will almost certainly never happen again in our lifetimes.

LA Lakers
07-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Getting "exposed" please. One of the most illustrious careers in NBA history... Haha, some of these posts and posters. No sense of history or perspective.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Huh? What is the point you're trying to make?

PJR
07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Yes.:oldlol:

In another week it's going to be stacked this and collusion that. Bunch of bipolar idiots.

Yep.

gts
07-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Getting "exposed" please. One of the most illustrious careers in NBA history... Haha, some of these posts and posters. No sense of history or perspective.

I love Riles BUT he's had a whole bunch of talented rosters gift wrapped to him over the years.. He took advantage of the moment, found a way to make things work you have to give him credit for that but lets not pretend for a second he hasn't been placed in some very advantageous situations that few coaches/GMs could only dream of

LA Lakers
07-02-2014, 09:34 PM
You could say the same about Red and Phil. Are they "exposed" too? Im just saying, the man has nothing to prove at this point. His legacy was cemented after the Showtime Era.

Kblaze8855
07-02-2014, 09:41 PM
I love Riles BUT he's had a whole bunch of talented rosters gift wrapped to him over the years.. He took advantage of the moment, found a way to make things work you have to give him credit for that but lets not pretend for a second he hasn't been placed in some very advantageous situations that few coaches/GMs could only dream of

Whole bunch?

THe Lakers.

Thats it.

The Knicks were a 39 win team when he got there and he kept like 3 people. He made them contenders in 2 years.

The Heat were a 32 win team when he got there. 61 win team in his second season. Kept not one relevant player from the 95 Heat. 97...61 wins.

He built the 06 Heat. He didnt have them gift wrapped.

He....created the gift himself.

Riley built all these teams post Lakers.

He was handed the Lakers. He built the Knicks and built 3 totally different contenders on the Heat.

Hes not coming into finished products.

Rubio2Gasol
07-02-2014, 09:43 PM
:lol

D-Rose
07-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Phil has been in even better situations for the majority of his career.

PJR
07-02-2014, 09:44 PM
The Heat were an expansion franchise that had 2 playoff appearances before Riley.

Gift wraped my ass

Jameerthefear
07-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Droid is stupid as shit.

TylerOO
07-02-2014, 09:46 PM

Sounds like Phil Jackson

LA Lakers
07-02-2014, 09:50 PM
The man was able to coach John Starks for christ sakes. Tell me how many coaches have the respect and reputation to do that successfully?

gts
07-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Phil has been in even better situations for the majority of his career.Ok...good for him and this has what to do with Riley?

J Shuttlesworth
07-02-2014, 10:01 PM
What's there to expose? His countless rings?

http://www.yaysports.com/nba/images/pat%20riley.jpg

LA Lakers
07-02-2014, 10:08 PM
I think there is a fallacy out there that anyone can coach a team of great individual players and have success.

PJR
07-02-2014, 10:16 PM
I think there is a fallacy out there that anyone can coach a team of great individual players and have success.

Big time fallacy. And it usually only comes from idiots.

Derka
07-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Stupid-ass thread. Free agency is two days old :lol

JohnFreeman
07-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Droid showing his idiocy

Jasper
07-03-2014, 01:25 AM
OP has a point though ... you would of thought he would of been pro active in regards to lining players up...

Which means that Bosh , and or Wade is tying up money to screw the team...

But maybe they have a bigger splash than we actually think... like a TRADE

RoundMoundOfReb
07-03-2014, 01:53 AM
Sounds like every successful coach in NBA history
FIFY

francesco totti
07-03-2014, 01:59 AM
He built a team that went 4 finals in a row, and won 2 titles.not happened since 1987...

yep exposed

On serious note, he will get free agents for miami.... But the expectation was set high to make a fourth superstar join ( lowry, melo lol)..

Marlo_Stanfield
07-03-2014, 04:16 AM
If you ever disrespect Pat Riley again I WILL FIND YOU AND FVCK YOU UP!!!!!!!!!!!
Pat Riley is a joke.
the only reason why Miami won 2 titles in the last four years( should have been 4), was LEBron. he covered all the flaws on that pathetic team assembled by Riley to a point commentators called them the Miami Cavaliers.
Riley couldnt get a decent rim protector in 4 years.
its time for LeBron to move on if he cares about his legacy

AintNoSunshine
07-03-2014, 06:48 AM
:roll: that hyperbole

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2014, 11:07 AM
He isn't getting exposed but it sure looks like the "help" that LeBron wants is drying up.

Lowry? Gone.
Gortat? Gone.
Livingston? Gone.

What is left that can help the Heat?
Deng? Will probably cost more than they can afford
Marion? Done
Carter? Quality shooter... but is at a make or break concerning age.

Miami is staring at "LeBron and the spares" again next year.

GimmeThat
07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I just can't believe what he did to SVG after learning that JVG had worked with him as well with the Knicks.

tontoz
07-03-2014, 12:04 PM
he never had nothing to do with bran going to miami. it was all wade an bosh convincing him. pat is trash

Riley was the one who gave them the capspace to go after Lebron/Bosh in the first place idiot.

:facepalm

tontoz
07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Then why are the big 3 betas opting out if there's not really any decent FAs left to sign:confusedshrug:

Maybe because the deadline to decide whether to opt out/in was before July 1.

Man the stupidity in this thread is staggering.

chocolatethunder
07-03-2014, 12:33 PM
I just can't believe what he did to SVG after learning that JVG had worked with him as well with the Knicks.
I'm not sure how much you know about Riley but he doesn't have a reputation as a nice guy, he has a reputation as a winner. It's unfortunate but basketball is a business and at times you have to be cutthroat. Riley is a winner's winner. The dude's a nut with a hot temper and he doesn't take losing well and is man enough to accept the responsibility and take the job on. It wasn't nice and he's not nice but he got the job done.

chocolatethunder
07-03-2014, 12:43 PM

Everything you said is totally on point and I think that Riley is the best executive ever and one of the best coaches ever and it's very rare for someone to be that good at both. Larry Brown is an excellent coach and has to be one of the worst meddlers and talent evaluators.

I will say this. I feel like Riley's time is over. Not in the sense that he's going to hand out dumb contracts like Billy King but I mean that I feel like the game is passing him by. The assembly of the big three was a tremendous coup and will be the last great thing that he does. He just seemed different in that press conference and a little too pissed and out of touch. It reminded me a little bit of when he left the Lakers but a lot worse. He's the greatest but almost everyone has a shelf life and I think that his is up. And if it isn't, it's still going to take him a few years to make this team good again. Wade needs to grow his game and become a different player or he's going to have a really dark future. Allen is aging and while Bosh is probably bette than his recent stats suggest, I'm not sure what this team can be going forward, other than being competitive in the east. The new CBA has and still is changing the landscape of the league and it's naive to think that young players who have yet to get a payday are going to want to come to Miami at a discount because of the city or winning or Lebron or whatever. While he says they need to retool, I hope he has something up his sleeve because it doesn't seem like they're going to make a big splash in free agency. Moving up to get Napier was good for them and you can never discount a guy who wins two national championships but it's going to take a lot more than him to get them over the hump.