PDA

View Full Version : If OKC lands Pau Gasol and he plays for them for 5 more years...

russwest0
07-03-2014, 02:15 AM
How many rings do the Thunder win in that span if fully healthy?

RoundMoundOfReb
07-03-2014, 02:16 AM
2-3

navy
07-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Implying that Gasol isnt washed up and Westbrook and Durant arent going to chuck up shots in the playoffs?

russwest0
07-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Implying that Gasol isnt washed up and Westbrook and Durant arent going to chuck up shots in the playoffs?

17/10/3 = Washed Up?

I'll take that level of "washed up" over what we get from Kendrick Perkins right now.

JT123
07-03-2014, 02:24 AM
So I guess Westbrook, Ibaka, Jackson, Lamb, and Butler aren't enough? Thunder fans want Gasol now too?! How much help does Durskinny need to finally get a ring? :roll: :roll: :roll:

russwest0
07-03-2014, 02:28 AM
So I guess Westbrook, Ibaka, Jackson, Lamb, and Butler aren't enough? Thunder fans want Gasol now too?! How much help does Durskinny need to finally get a ring? :roll: :roll: :roll:

We're currently hoping that we can get both Pau Gasol and Mike Miller and that that would be enough for us to win a ring.

-smak

outbreak
07-03-2014, 02:33 AM
:biggums:

Fudge
07-03-2014, 02:33 AM
Definitely winning the next 2 years. I think 3 would be our window with Gasol since the fukker is getting old.

But once Pau ends up retiring or whatever, we have an experienced Steven Adams taking his place. :oldlol: Good luck, league.

JohnFreeman
07-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Depends if Durant steps up and plays well in the playoffs for once

J Shuttlesworth
07-03-2014, 02:35 AM
Depends if Durant steps up and plays well in the playoffs for once
He just needs to be okay. a third option doesn't have that much pressure on him

russwest0
07-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Definitely winning the next 2 years. I think 3 would be our window with Gasol since the fukker is getting old.

But once Pau ends up retiring or whatever, we have an experienced Steven Adams taking his place. :oldlol: Good luck, league.

People seem to forget that Ibaka is still developing as well. He averaged like 15PPG last year and there is no reason he couldn't ramp that up to 17-18 PPG. Those two in general would make a nasty frontcourt duo.

It works out pretty well though because Durant isn't a guy who gets the ball and stands around trying to decide what to do with it. He gets it and either attacks or keeps it moving. Basically what I'm saying is, no Pau spotting up in the corner for late shot clock 3s like Bosh in Miami :oldlol:

We just need Russ to learn how to play off ball more and if helathy we'd be the favorites every single year for the next 5 years. Presti is constantly layering in fresh talent on 4 year rookie contracts too which is a huge plus. Take Mitch McGary for example, he'll be replacing Collison who's contract runs up after this year.

uber
07-03-2014, 02:39 AM
With Brooks as the coach OKC isn't going anywhere. How many years does the frontoffice in OKC need to finally realize that?

russwest0
07-03-2014, 02:44 AM
With Brooks as the coach OKC isn't going anywhere. How many years does the frontoffice in OKC need to finally realize that?

Brooks has his problems but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that he's a Mike Brown level of bad.

I think he can be the coach of a championship team so long as that team as stacked as ****ing shit, which this team would be

russwest0
07-03-2014, 02:46 AM
The only thing I would worry about is Brooks not knowing how to stagger minutes properly. In the playoffs this year we even saw some times where Westbrook, Durant, and Ibaka were all on the bench, and this was in the first half. He needs to learn how to better stagger the minutes so that we always have guys fresh and always have at least one good player on the floor.

If we get Pau I'd like to see him sit Pau after like 4 minutes in and bring him in at the start of the 2nd with Reggie and Ibaka and let them develop a 3 man game while Russ and KD rest.

KDthunderup
07-03-2014, 02:48 AM
About as much as Lebron needed despite being in the far tougher conference

GimmeThat
07-03-2014, 02:49 AM
2-3 because Pau is aging

and while they may have the best talent. playoff basketball takes a beating on your body, so they'd contend every year, but chances of them facing a team that is more physical is very possible as long as they face different finals opponents over that period.

Cocaine80s
07-03-2014, 02:53 AM
if they're lucky, 1 before summer of 2016.

Cuz Durant finna leave

russwest0
07-03-2014, 03:03 AM
if they're lucky, 1 before summer of 2016.

Cuz Durant finna leave

He'll go to Minnesota to team up with Lavine :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

BlazerRed
CHeat fans still melting down? :biggums:

Cocaine80s
He'll go to Minnesota to team up with Lavine :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
:cheers: :cheers:

RoundMoundOfReb
07-03-2014, 03:04 AM
It's almost as if.. fans want their team to get better :biggums:

Thunderfan86
07-03-2014, 03:17 AM
We're currently hoping that we can get both Pau Gasol and Mike Miller and that that would be enough for us to win a ring.

-smak
LMAO!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

-smak

Quickening
07-03-2014, 03:23 AM
It's almost as if.. fans want their team to get better :biggums:
It's ok to get good players as long as your name isn't Lebron

SillyRabbit
07-03-2014, 03:35 AM
As long as Scott Brooks is their head coach: 0.

The Thunder could get LeBron and they still wouldn't win with Scotty.

LA Lakers
07-03-2014, 04:01 AM
I dont really see any other teams in the Western finals next year except the Spurs and Clippers, if they are healthy. This includes if the Thunder get Pau. Clippers would have gone last year if not for the Sterling black cloud. Of course my opinion. But yeah, adding Pau at this point still isnt enough for the Thunder to make it out of the West.

LA Lakers
07-03-2014, 04:09 AM
Also, I don't see Pau holding up at an All Star level for 5 more NBA seasons. Especially if you assume he makes OKC an instant champion/dynasty, that's a lot of mileage for Gasol. In 5 years is he really gonna be able to help carry a team into June? I mean the Western Conference in five years might be even more competitive than it is now. I'm looking at a young team like Portland(most definitely the real deal) or even Golden State really coming up in five years. Who knows what moves Phoenix or Houston makes down the line... Amazing work ethic, heart of a champ, helped us hang some more banners, nothing but respect for Pau. Still has a lot of dog in the fight. Just being real. OKC needs a second unit that has an identity and can bring in instant offense. Every year its an offense that becomes predictable for them. For got to even mention the Grizz. They could steal a trip to the Finals. Z Bo is their own worst enemy, though.

RoTM
07-03-2014, 04:12 AM
They don't need a post up big man with slow feet. Get some shooters, a wing that isn't garbage, and a back up ball handler.

russwest0
07-03-2014, 04:25 AM
I dont really see any other teams in the Western finals next year except the Spurs and Clippers, if they are healthy. This includes if the Thunder get Pau. Clippers would have gone last year if not for the Sterling black cloud. Of course my opinion. But yeah, adding Pau at this point still isnt enough for the Thunder to make it out of the West.

The Clippers still getting hyped while being led by Chris Paul?

:oldlol: I'm done, this dude will officially always get hyped like none other each season while his teams keep failing year after year in the playoffs.

Go back and watch game 5. They had the win secured and then he choked it away being a dumbass and trying to draw a shooting foul from fullcourt with plenty of time left on the clock. It's just another classic moment from him really. Just like him missing a whole month due to an injury that all came from his own flop :lol

Cowboy Thunder
07-03-2014, 12:59 PM
What are our line-ups going to look like with Gasol?

Goat
Reggie/Lamb/Roberson?
KD
Ibaka
Adams/Gasol

:confusedshrug:

Carbine
07-03-2014, 01:16 PM
It's fun and all to type down 17/10/3 and somehow correlate that to an absolute value of Pau these days, but anyone who watched him last year knows he's one of the worst pick and roll defenders in the league and offered lazy help around the basket. If he has fallen off to that degree on defense, he's not THAT good anymore.

He's a HUGE upgrade to Perkins though.

Nash
07-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Pau Gasol wont win THunder anything. Durant and Westbrook need to do it themselves. Perkins is not what is wrong with this team, hell, they were playing shit with him out. He's a good defender.

-Lebron23-
07-03-2014, 01:22 PM
It must be tough to be Thunder fan, fantasizing about the team getting Pau Gasol only to find out their next addition is Sebastian Telfair :oldlol:

Fudge
07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Pau Gasol wont win THunder anything. Durant and Westbrook need to do it themselves.
:hammerhead:

kennethgriffin
07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
17/10/3 = Washed Up?

I'll take that level of "washed up" over what we get from Kendrick Perkins right now.

numbers lie when its on a last place team and the guy does nothing but shoot set flat footed jumpers all day.. no defense. no rim protection. no post game

Duggrr
07-03-2014, 01:30 PM
If the Thunder get a new coach and Gasol, then they're the clear favorites. With Brooks' tard-isoball, I don't see them winning a ring

JT123
07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
The Clippers still getting hyped while being led by Chris Paul?

:oldlol: I'm done, this dude will officially always get hyped like none other each season while his teams keep failing year after year in the playoffs.
You mean like Durant? :lol

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
numbers lie when its on a last place team and the guy does nothing but shoot set flat footed jumpers all day.. no defense. no rim protection. no post game

Absurd.

He is still one of the best bigs in the game...

Any contender adding Gasol is getting a key player that is going to help them a lot.

The Thunder land Gasol and keep everything else the same and they are clear favorites to win the title.

Cowboy Thunder
07-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Absurd.

He is still one of the best bigs in the game...

Any contender adding Gasol is getting a key player that is going to help them a lot.

The Thunder land Gasol and keep everything else the same and they are clear favorites to win the title.
:bowdown: :applause: :bowdown:

KG215
07-03-2014, 05:58 PM
It's fun and all to type down 17/10/3 and somehow correlate that to an absolute value of Pau these days, but anyone who watched him last year knows he's one of the worst pick and roll defenders in the league and offered lazy help around the basket. If he has fallen off to that degree on defense, he's not THAT good anymore.

He's a HUGE upgrade to Perkins though.
So what's your point, then? Why does any of that other stuff matter to OKC if he's a huge upgrade over Perkins? OKC won 59 games and took the Spurs to 6 games in the WCF (despite not having Ibaka for two games and not at 100% the whole series) with Perkins and no Gasol. All that matters is, regardless of your perceived drop-off of Gasol as a player, he is still a major upgrade over their current center and he would make OKC a considerably better team.

qrich
07-03-2014, 05:58 PM
One with two being the maximum ceiling.

Brooks is still coach.

LA Lakers
07-03-2014, 06:08 PM
You guys are acting like the Western Conference isn't a death trap right now. Trust me as a guy that's watched Pau on the Lakers up to this point in time, he ain't gonna be the piece that makes OKC this dynasty let alone get past San Antonio, Clippers, emerging Portland and Golden State teams etc etc etc. OKC needs a better second unit and a less predictable offense in late game situations amongst many things. Again, I dont see how Spurs and Clippers aren't the favorites in the West this year.

LA Lakers
07-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Forgot to mention the Grizzlies. Z Bo is that teams own worst enemy. No question he plays game 7 last year, then Grizzlies beat OKC and advance. No question. Also, no question that Sterling shit doesn';t go down with the Clippers and that team beats OKC to go to Western Finals. Sorry to make Clips fans sad. But you guys were rolling. I felt bad for some of the fans and definitely the players must have been going through hell. I expected a Heat/Clippers finals but once again SPURS being Spurs. I think OKC might have lost their chance after they let Harden go after that lockout season. But we shall see.

gts
07-03-2014, 06:20 PM
CHeat fans still melting down? :biggums:

It'll continue for some time to come.. just don't make eye contact and you'll be fine

DMAVS41
07-03-2014, 06:32 PM
You guys are acting like the Western Conference isn't a death trap right now. Trust me as a guy that's watched Pau on the Lakers up to this point in time, he ain't gonna be the piece that makes OKC this dynasty let alone get past San Antonio, Clippers, emerging Portland and Golden State teams etc etc etc. OKC needs a better second unit and a less predictable offense in late game situations amongst many things. Again, I dont see how Spurs and Clippers aren't the favorites in the West this year.

You act as if the Thunder were far away.

Reggie, Lamb, Jones, and Adams will all likely be superior players by the playoffs in 2015 than they were this year. Ibaka was hurt for the series and missed 2 games and honestly that series was almost a coinflip...with a slight edge to the Spurs.

You give them Gasol...a proven big that can score in the post and make great passes and it matters. He's far better than Perkins and that matters.

Nothing is a lock because the West is absurd right now, but the Thunder would be better than last year...and that is all that really matters.

KG215
07-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Forgot to mention the Grizzlies. Z Bo is that teams own worst enemy. No question he plays game 7 last year, then Grizzlies beat OKC and advance. No question. Also, no question that Sterling shit doesn';t go down with the Clippers and that team beats OKC to go to Western Finals. Sorry to make Clips fans sad. But you guys were rolling. I felt bad for some of the fans and definitely the players must have been going through hell. I expected a Heat/Clippers finals but once again SPURS being Spurs. I think OKC might have lost their chance after they let Harden go after that lockout season. But we shall see.
No question? The Thunder just got through thrashing the Grizzlies in Memphis in game 6 and turned around and drubbed them again in game 7. You stating the Grizzlies "no question" beat the Thunder in a game 7 in OKC with Randolph is more extremely ignorant. Is it possible? Sure. But to sit there and act like it was a foregone conclusion with Randolph is laughable.

And you seem to be completely ignoring that OKC's best players are right in the heart of their prime and in that phase of their career where players of their caliber generally improve while also ignoring the fact that they've got a bevvy of very good young up-and-coming players with good potential in Jackson, Adams, Lamb, and Jones. Jesus, if we went by what you say about the Thunder, and had no prior knowledge of the NBA, you'd think the Thunder's star players were on their last legs and they didn't have a good, young foundation of young players already in place.

iznogood
07-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't see them winning anything while Brooks is coaching this team. I don't think he is going to adjust the offense so they can really benefit from Pau's skills. He'll simply be there to shoot jumpers when they have nowhere left to go. And let's not forget he's a terrible defender. I think they will be in trouble when they play against healthy Memphis or Spurs in the play-offs. Perkins was kind of handling Randolph most of the time while Marc Gasol was destroying Ibaka. What are they going to do now? Keep Perkins while Adams is developing and spend money on a shooter that you can run around those beautiful moving screens Perkins sets. And get a real coach.