PDA

View Full Version : Kareem: "What if Lebron had to guard Elgin Baylor? ..."

CavaliersFTW
07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
[I]

ArbitraryWater
07-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Elgin Baylor, the original chucker :bowdown:

Costing the Lakers multiple titles because he couldn't realize Jerry was the man :bowdown:

Stop the sucking, Cavs

Rose'sACL
07-03-2014, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=CavaliersFTW][I]

russwest0
07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
LeBron wouldn't guard him regardless. Maybe for the last 2 minutes of the game or so lol

CavaliersFTW
07-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Elgin Baylor, the original chucker :bowdown:

Costing the Lakers multiple titles because he couldn't realize Jerry was the man :bowdown:

Stop the sucking, Cavs
Kinda like how Bran has cost the Heat multiple titles because he couldn't realize Wade was the man?

K Xerxes
07-03-2014, 02:55 PM
As he would guarding any all time great offensive player while having to exert energy as the team's main offensive threat and facilitator. This is supposed to be controversial?

CavaliersFTW
07-03-2014, 03:00 PM
As he would guarding any all time great offensive player while having to exert energy as the team's main offensive threat and facilitator. This is supposed to be controversial?
According to branites it is

played0ut
07-03-2014, 03:12 PM
There is no real offensive great that can be stopped by any one man in their position.

kennethgriffin
07-03-2014, 03:18 PM
honestly if baylor and west were in todays nba. theyed both be crucified for losing 8 finals

players always get a free pass when they come first

the older the player the less they have to prove or live up to.

CavaliersFTW
07-03-2014, 03:21 PM
honestly if baylor and west were in todays nba. theyed both be crucified for losing 8 finals

If they were in today's NBA who says they would lose 8 finals? Last I checked Bill Russell's Celtics aren't locking up titles anymore.

Marchesk
07-03-2014, 03:24 PM

That's true. Oscar and Wilt wouldn't fair too kindly on that front either. But then again, how badly were Malone, Barkley and Ewing crucified for not being able to stop the Bulls dynasty? If you have the same team winning every year and denying everyone else, then it's a little different.

Marchesk
07-03-2014, 03:25 PM
If they were in today's NBA who says they would lose 8 finals? Last I checked Bill Russell's Celtics aren't locking up titles anymore.

I think he meant if they had the same media coverage as exists today.

fpliii
07-03-2014, 03:31 PM

They wouldn't be going up against Russell though.

GOAT gonna GOAT

Nash
07-03-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm so tired of OP and his ancient basketball. I mean look at that footage! Honestly, those guys look so robotic in their movements. So small and tiny. And the opponents don't look like athletes. They look like the guys out on the parks playing. Everything looks so amateur-ish. Handles look rotten, no physicality at all.

CavaliersFTW
07-03-2014, 03:44 PM
The more I watch Baylor, the more I see his similarities with Lance Stephenson. Strong guard, big build, good hands and a nack at getting to the basket finishing with style.

Baylor had his back to the basket a hell of a lot more though.
That's cause Baylor was relatively bigger than Lance, and played as a forward. Yes I see the other similarities too though, the way they both can finish cause they both have big hands. Baylor had a higher understanding of the game though, thus his great awareness and peripheral vision is on display when facilitating.

ArbitraryWater
07-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Kinda like how Bran has cost the Heat multiple titles because he couldn't realize Wade was the man?

multiple = 2011? Singular?

And even here you're failing miserably :lol

He did very much what a sidekick would do, be more passive and take less shots... smh CavsFTW claiming the top spot for nr.1 retard :applause:

Marchesk
07-03-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm so tired of OP and his ancient basketball. I mean look at that footage! Honestly, those guys look so robotic in their movements. So small and tiny. And the opponents don't look like athletes. They look like the guys out on the parks playing. Everything looks so amateur-ish. Handles look rotten, no physicality at all.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WPxPfxWt8vQ/UQyTpLxGKUI/AAAAAAAAEFo/AgnZwjF2kL4/s800/GusJohnsonDunk.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdf3xtgANK1renuivo1_500.gif

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/y%20Crazy%20Shot/z%20Comparison/MJ/n%20Cooz/to.gif

fpliii
07-03-2014, 03:47 PM
The more I watch Baylor, the more I see his similarities with Lance Stephenson. Strong guard, big build, good hands and a nack at getting to the basket finishing with style.

Baylor had his back to the basket a hell of a lot more though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utzXECdsWGc
I think that's because he identified matchups to exploit. When you have a unique power/speed advantage, there's not much the opposition can do to stop you.

LeBron has a killer post game now (and used it more this season than the last two, though he's been tremendous in that regard all three years), so he's practically unguardable. Put a smaller guy on him, he'll overpower you. Put a bigger guy on him, he'll blow by you. Baylor wasn't as big as LeBron, but I imagine he figured the same thing.

Somebody recently mentioned that Elgin was somewhat of a Barkley-Wade hybrid. I'm not sure how good a characterization that is, but I can see it a bit.

SpanishACB
07-03-2014, 03:48 PM
I love when the underrated tag becomes a gimmick, almost a popular opinion between those in the know

it's funny really, a bunch of people suddenly wrong by the power of statistics

CavaliersFTW
07-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I love when the underrated tag becomes a gimmick, almost a popular opinion between those in the know

it's funny really, a bunch of people suddenly wrong by the power of statistics
The day big market sports entertainment programs on ESPN start putting Elgin's name near the top of best SF's ever or best Lakers ever discussions is the day he's no longer underrated. That's why he's underrated. Us talking about him on a message board doesn't suddenly mean he's no longer underrated.

Marchesk
07-03-2014, 04:03 PM
The day big market sports entertainment programs on ESPN start putting Elgin's name near the top of best SF's ever or best Lakers ever discussions is the day he's no longer underrated. That's why he's underrated. Us talking about him on a message board doesn't suddenly mean he's no longer underrated.

For real. Start a discussion on best all-time perimiter players or best small forwards and see if Baylor gets mentioned.