PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Will Offer Carmelo Anthony Max Contract (4 Years, $97 Million)

$LakerGold
07-03-2014, 09:07 PM
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-carmelo-anthony-to-receive-four-year-max-offer-from-team/2014/07/03/

Ramona Shelburne ✔ @ramonashelburne

Lakers made it clear to Melo today they'd offer the maximum, 4-yr, $97mil contract they can, if he chose them.

Im so nba'd out
07-03-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-carmelo-anthony-to-receive-four-year-max-offer-from-team/2014/07/03/
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121012200525/thefanfictionwikiofgtfandphazon/images/2/21/FP-NOOO.gif
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3229178/baby-crying-o.gif

Doctor Rivers
07-03-2014, 09:09 PM
i thought that was pretty much a pre-req

1~Gibson~1
07-03-2014, 09:10 PM
I might actually root for the Lakers if he signs but they would still have to supplement the team with quality role players... not that that would be hard to do

longtime lurker
07-03-2014, 09:10 PM
i thought that was pretty much a pre-req

This shocks pretty much no one.

longtime lurker
07-03-2014, 09:12 PM
I might actually root for the Lakers if he signs but they would still have to supplement the team with quality role players... not that that would be hard to do

They managed to sign Nick Young, Wesley Johnson and Xavier Henry for the min last year. Not to mention they found a diamond in the rough in Kendall Marshall. If they continue the trend of young athletic defensive players and shooters they'll be alright.

Beastmode88
07-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Would rather him play for the bulls since Kobe is on his last legs. Bulls system seems to be a better fit on paper but who knows.

coin24
07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
They managed to sign Nick Young, Wesley Johnson and Xavier Henry for the min last year. Not to mention they found a diamond in the rough in Kendall Marshall. If they continue the trend of young athletic defensive players and shooters they'll be alright.

This. We finally had a bench and some younger athletic players..
Add a decent coach, healthy Kobe an pau, melo and a few more pieces and championship cruise:banana:

Get it done Mitch :cheers:

Akrazotile
07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
If the Lakers are trying to win:

This would be the stupidest thing they could possibly do.

If the Lakers are trying to make more revenue from the fans:

This is a brilliant maneuver.

coin24
07-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Would rather him play for the bulls since Kobe is on his last legs. Bulls system seems to be a better fit on paper but who knows.

Iso melo all day? No one else can score for shit in that team apart from rose. And who knows if he'll be healthy at all, plus there owner is a cheap bastard..

Levity
07-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Can the rockets offer the max, as well? Because i read that they can only offer 20 mil with their current cap (not sure if they includes lin or not) and bulls, even less

JohnFreeman
07-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Is it weird that I hate the Lakers, but I enjoyed seeing them play well?

The-Legend-24
07-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Why are they offering this career loser so much?

:facepalm

AirTupac
07-03-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't know how to react. That's a lot of money for being possibly mediocre for a couple seasons. They must have something lined up if they are offering this.

ThemBombs
07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
if he's seriously considering the Lakers than he may as well stay in NY. Coming to LA the Lakers would be Knicks 2.0 for the next four years at this current rate- One season of a good playoff team, 3 seasons of garbage.

winwin
07-03-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't know how to react. That's a lot of money for being possibly mediocre for a couple seasons. They must have something lined up if they are offering this.
hmmm kobe, pau, and melo can be good

playoffs? passed 1st round? add more FAs and you got a team

YouGotServed
07-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Good luck having Carmelanoma as your first option. I doubt they even sniff the playoffs.

longtime lurker

They'll be a playoff team for two seasons with the chance to enter contender status when Kobe's contract expires. This is not even taking into consideration Randle's development. This is what happens when you play the free agent game unless you have 3 mentally weak players willing to take pay cuts and collude.

JellyBean
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121012200525/thefanfictionwikiofgtfandphazon/images/2/21/FP-NOOO.gif
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3229178/baby-crying-o.gif

:roll: The Lakers are all-in. Let's go, Lakers!! :applause:

Rubio2Gasol
Main thing about the Lakers, they don't give a **** about money if they see a way to compete.

However, not a good signing IMO.

TheGreatDeraj
07-03-2014, 10:29 PM
At this point I'd rather not have him on the Lakers. I doubt he choose LAL anyways.

If this happens, would they still have enough for Gasol and other pieces?

HylianNightmare
07-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Love it

MVBallin2K
07-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Gasol apparently will instantly re-sign if the Lakers get Melo so that could be a bargaining chip towards this decision. I dunno though, can we actually offer Jordan Hill decent money to stay since he's been around for a few years now?

If we can bring about a few roleplayers, not sure how many good defensive ones are still out there but MAYBE we can put something together that would at least get into the Playoffs. Then all bets are off if it materializes to a championship or not.

If Gasol's deal is for two more seasons, then he and Kobe will expire at the same time. This leaves some cap room more than likely open to make some moves even with max Melo so this might not be the dumbest thing to do. If we get something major out of this move, great. If not, then we can retool again. The only thing is, will Melo want to do that when he can stay in NY for more money and basically the same opportunity?

Droid101
07-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Good play. Get him and Ariza or a bunch of random 2-year contracts, and the future is looking good.

Love next year, and Kobe's 25 million off the books the following year to chase Durant.

VIntageNOvel
07-03-2014, 10:45 PM
i like carmelo, but i dont like this one bit,

better to sign 3 players of kyle lowry caliber than 1 max player+some mediocre

Jameerthefear
07-03-2014, 10:49 PM
lol still wont make the playoffs

$LakerGold
07-03-2014, 10:49 PM
lol still wont make the playoffs
Lakers>Magic :sleeping

gts
07-03-2014, 11:08 PM
people can't really be surprised by this right? you knew the minute it was announced he'd interview with the Lakers they were going max offer...

Keno
07-03-2014, 11:13 PM
melo would be stupid to sign with the lakers. aging, injury prone kobe that will most likely retire within the next few years, no head coach, best role player just signed with the hawks, lakers aren't looking good at all.

atljonesbro
07-03-2014, 11:23 PM
This would be a move proving he's a career loser. Going to the Lakers is a death sentence for his career. Didn't even make the playoffs and as long as Kobe is around, they'll never be a serious contender until he retires because he's selfish and doesn't care about winning.

bdreason
07-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Kobe and Melo both making $20m+ is a great roster foundation.

:oldlol:

BlackVVaves
07-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Good luck having Carmelanoma as your first option. I doubt they even sniff the playoffs.

Who you think is the first option if Melo goes to Houston? Dwight? :oldlol:

No wait, maybe it's your star guard who shits the bed every time the playoffs rolls around :roll:

BlackVVaves
07-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Good play. Get him and Ariza or a bunch of random 2-year contracts, and the future is looking good.

Love next year, and Kobe's 25 million off the books the following year to chase Durant.

Not sure what part of the world you're from, but over here we use this concept called "math"

jzek
07-04-2014, 12:02 AM
But there's only one ball on the court! :facepalm

alanLA92
07-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Biased but would love to see Melo as a Laker, especially if Pau comes back. Doubt it will happen and don't think Melo wants two mediocre season before the 2016 FA class.

G-Funk
07-04-2014, 12:17 AM
This would be a move proving he's a career loser. Going to the Lakers is a death sentence for his career. Didn't even make the playoffs and as long as Kobe is around, they'll never be a serious contender until he retires because he's selfish and doesn't care about winning.

http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/product-images/P670339-01/kobe-bryant-2010-nba-finals-game-7-championship-trophy5-fingers-in-studio27.jpg

Droid101
07-04-2014, 12:25 AM
http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/product-images/P670339-01/kobe-bryant-2010-nba-finals-game-7-championship-trophy5-fingers-in-studio27.jpg
Seriously, I don't get comments like that. Kobe has a track record of success and effort. And he DID in fact take a pay cut, he dropped from 30 million down to 23. He could have gotten another 10% raise the following two years, getting 33 and 36.3 instead of 23 and 25.

Whatever. Idiots will remain willfully stupid forever I guess.

MMM
07-04-2014, 12:41 AM
I'll admit i didn't think much of the Lakers chances headed into 08 so I wont doubt their ability to have a quick turnaround. It did help that they had prime Kobe, Gasol, Odom plus 2nd year of Phil. With that being said it seems like a lot of Anti Lakers crowd is hoping they bottom out but it does make a lot of sense to hover around as an average team until they can add a major piece in 2016.

chosen_one6
07-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Seriously, I don't get comments like that. Kobe has a track record of success and effort. And he DID in fact take a pay cut, he dropped from 30 million down to 23. He could have gotten another 10% raise the following two years, getting 33 and 36.3 instead of 23 and 25.

Whatever. Idiots will remain willfully stupid forever I guess.

Based on his ability to contribute he should be earning much less. He has to take a backseat in order for the Lakers to win anything before he retires. Only dumbasses like you fail to see this.

lakerspng
07-04-2014, 12:52 AM
If they offered the max to melo I wonder what Mitch is pitching LeBrons people in Cleveland right now.... Interesting

atljonesbro
07-04-2014, 01:02 AM
The Lakers are finished until Kobe retires. He gives zero f*cks about winning at this point of his career. Deal with it.

UK2K
07-04-2014, 01:09 AM
One front office executive whose team is among the five in the running for Anthony (Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, and Lakers) is currently of the belief Anthony will choose between the Knicks, Bulls or Rockets. The executive spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the talks.

LA?

GimmeThat
07-04-2014, 01:16 AM
top 15 player, who might end up being ranked top 10 closer to 5 for playing next to Kobe/Pau.

winning record helps.

MaxFly
07-04-2014, 01:55 AM

Dude has 5 rings?

Jacks3
07-04-2014, 01:58 AM
The Lakers are finished until Kobe retires. He gives zero f*cks about winning at this point of his career. Deal with it.
:oldlol:

L.A. Jazz
07-04-2014, 05:35 AM

i will never understand how the owner and Lebron with his 2 friends made it possible that the fans think now it's the players

Nick Young
07-04-2014, 05:44 AM
title on the way:bowdown:

NZStreetBaller
07-04-2014, 06:30 AM
there is no guarantee that melo will win a championship in any team really. so might as well take the 97 million dayum.

East_Stone_Ya
07-04-2014, 07:48 AM
what? i hope it's not true...

RoseCity07
07-04-2014, 07:56 AM
God I hope this happens. Then Kobe's final years will be a losing spectacle where everyone wonders how a Kobe/Melo tandem didn't work, while all the people who know basketball sift back and say they called this massive failure.

-Lebron23-
07-04-2014, 07:59 AM
This would only get better if JR Smith was included in a S&T

ILLsmak
07-04-2014, 08:08 AM

They can be good if they slot in role players. If Pau is ready to play C again, put Melo at PF. That's a good fast paced team. Even tho dudes are "older" as has been said, up and down movement is actually easier on the legs. Ask SHAQ.

It's more about whether Melo takes it. Melo needs to stay in the West. Having him in the East was weird.

-Smak

theoneneo
07-04-2014, 08:12 AM
They can be good if they slot in role players. If Pau is ready to play C again, put Melo at PF. That's a good fast paced team. Even tho dudes are "older" as has been said, up and down movement is actually easier on the legs. Ask SHAQ.

It's more about whether Melo takes it. Melo needs to stay in the West. Having him in the East was weird.

-Smak

Put Melo at PF?

How about they put the rookie they just drafted at PF and have him Develop... no?

GimmeThat
07-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Put Melo at PF?

How about they put the rookie they just drafted at PF and have him Develop... no?

just not a very bright idea. Melo is best at 4 playing next to a defensive big, and a wing with length (i.e. Ariza)

Melo at the 3 would mean that you need a big 2 to be able to guard the opposing 3 and really clog up the lane and the bigs needs to rotate out and close out on shooters while the team rebound as a collective effort.

Doctor Rivers
07-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Iverson/Melo part II

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-04-2014, 11:05 AM
just not a very bright idea. Melo is best at 4 playing next to a defensive big, and a wing with length (i.e. Ariza)

Melo at the 3 would mean that you need a big 2 to be able to guard the opposing 3 and really clog up the lane and the bigs needs to rotate out and close out on shooters while the team rebound as a collective effort.

Lakers should forget Melo and just go after Ariza.

longtime lurker
07-04-2014, 11:07 AM
God I hope this happens. Then Kobe's final years will be a losing spectacle where everyone wonders how a Kobe/Melo tandem didn't work, while all the people who know basketball sift back and say they called this massive failure.

So much bitterness in one post. Pathetic