PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kaman Signs 2 Year, $10 Million Deal with Blazers

Meticode
07-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 40s
Chris Kaman has reached agreement on a two-year, $10M deal with Portland, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/484902085280796672

Meticode
07-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 57s
The second year of Kaman's deal is a partial guarantee, source tells Yahoo Sports.

Johnny Jones
07-03-2014, 11:32 PM
5 million a year for a washed up, injury prone center? :facepalm

gts
07-03-2014, 11:33 PM
you're quick Meticode...lol

good signing for the Blazers solid back up and creates plenty of photoshop opportunites

Meticode
07-03-2014, 11:34 PM
5 million a year for a washed up, injury prone center? :facepalm
He's still servicable. Averaged 10/6 in just 19 minutes last year. He just needs to stay healthy. Which he hasn't done in like 5 straight years. :oldlol:

Meticode
07-03-2014, 11:35 PM
I suppose this might mean Spencer Hawes isn't going to Portland? They were talking to him and he seemed to have mutual interest. I don't see the point if they have Lopez/Kaman/Hawes

Johnny Jones
07-03-2014, 11:37 PM
He's still servicable. Averaged 10/6 in just 19 minutes last year. He just needs to stay healthy. Which he hasn't done in like 5 straight years. :oldlol:
Still, I don't think anybody would have offered more than 3 million for him.

Duggrr
:rant :rant :rant :rant :rant

Meticode
Still, I don't think anybody would have offered more than 3 million for him.
Portland did.

Johnny Jones
07-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Portland did.
...That was my point. Portland could have saved more money for another bench player.

Meticode
07-03-2014, 11:41 PM
...That was my point. Portland could have saved more money for another bench player.
But they didn't.

dreamwarrior
07-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Lakers kicking everybody out to make room for Melo

Threethrows
07-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Second year is only partially guaranteed. Essentially he's a stop gap because they couldn't get what they wanted (Hawes, Monroe) this year. This signing won't hurt their 2015 flexibility.

Black and White
07-03-2014, 11:42 PM
It's way too high for him, but I like the fact that they are trying to add strength to the bench.

Duggrr
07-03-2014, 11:44 PM
I predict garbage stats, like 5/6

ZenMaster
07-03-2014, 11:45 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345195

MUGEN
07-03-2014, 11:49 PM
well now..didn't see this happening so soon. Maybe the Hawes talks didn't work out..shame

but 2nd year is partial so it's not too bad really..stop gap dude for the bench

KNOW1EDGE
07-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Why? Just, why?

As a Blazer fan and native Portlander, I'd MUCH rather give those minutes to Freeland/Leonard/Robinson.

Why bring in an over the hull Shmeagle who was never very good or consistent in the first place?

Don't understand what Neil Olshey was thinking on this one

andremiller07
07-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Why? Just, why?

As a Blazer fan and native Portlander, I'd MUCH rather give those minutes to Freeland/Leonard/Robinson.

Why bring in an over the hull Shmeagle who was never very good or consistent in the first place?

They need bench scoring man non of those guy can do that, it's not that bad a signing imo solid.

BlackVVaves
07-04-2014, 12:03 AM
That money would have been better suited fortifying their bench with more productive wing players.

FlawlessVictory
07-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Meh, not loving this one. It's not a huge amount of money and the second year partial guarantee could be a nice trade chip down the line; but I see the Blazers in win now mode and the Kaman I have seen for the past two seasons does very little to help with that.

KNOW1EDGE
07-04-2014, 12:18 AM
They need bench scoring man non of those guy can do that, it's not that bad a signing imo solid.

I just see our front court as a little crowded now, I feel like we just over paid for a guy who is no better than any of the other guys we already have.

Now our guys who are supposed to be developing, Meyers, Joel and Thomas Robinson, aren't going to get the chance to do so. I don't think Kaman is good enough to warrant taking minutes from those guys.

But it is what it is.

andremiller07
07-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I just see our front court as a little crowded now, I feel like we just over paid for a guy who is no better than any of the other guys we already have.

Now our guys who are supposed to be developing, Meyers, Joel and Thomas Robinson, aren't going to get the chance to do so. I don't think Kaman is good enough to warrant taking minutes from those guys.

But it is what it is.
Fair enough, I actualyl reckon the Blazers should have tried to work something out to get Carl Landry from the Kings imo he would have been a nice fit playing there in the pick n pop when LMA was out of the game.

KNOW1EDGE
07-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Fair enough, I actualyl reckon the Blazers should have tried to work something out to get Carl Landry from the Kings imo he would have been a nice fit playing there in the pick n pop when LMA was out of the game.

To Kamans credit I think he is probably a better post player than all the big men on our bench, and maybe that's what management was looking for. I don't foresee Kaman being a big part of our future so it's prob not that big of a signing, I just like to complain.lol

I was hoping for Monroe and I got Kaman so I'm a lil sad right now.lol

ZenMaster
07-04-2014, 12:37 AM
To Kamans credit I think he is probably a better post player than all the big men on our bench, and maybe that's what management was looking for. I don't foresee Kaman being a big part of our future so it's prob not that big of a signing, I just like to complain.lol

I was hoping for Monroe and I got Kaman so I'm a lil sad right now.lol

His strengths are opposite of the bigs already there, i short burst he can punish teams who plays a back up center that's weak in post defense.
So now they have three centers who can do a little bit of each and who can take turns getting hurt, the price for those three is roughly the same as Roy Hibbert.
Personally I think Lopez is better for the team as long as Aldrigde is the 4.

HylianNightmare
07-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Solid. He won't have to do too much. And he should be able to help out the bench.

To4
07-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Lol... I always remember him laying down on the bench.. hahaha

Akrazotile
07-04-2014, 12:59 AM
you're quick Meticode...lol

good signing for the Blazers solid back up and creates plenty of photoshop opportunites

This is literally the vast majority of his value.

Dude is a good guy, but he's trash on the court.

BallsOut
07-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Meh, not loving this one. It's not a huge amount of money and the second year partial guarantee could be a nice trade chip down the line; but I see the Blazers in win now mode and the Kaman I have seen for the past two seasons does very little to help with that.

Apparently you didn't watch Kaman play last season for the Lakers. Dude, when given minutes, beasted in the post with his Hakeemesque moves. Had some absolute monster games and his midrange jumpshot is wet as fk for a 7 footer. Wanted the Lakers to retain him, but oh well.

GimmeThat
07-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Why? Just, why?

Because Freeland/Leonard/Robinson will get the minutes during the regular season. But if they want to make it deep into the playoff, chances are, they might use Kaman in the rotation comes playoff for offensives purposes. then maybe put in Leonard/Robinson for defense.

technically, wanting Freeland/Leonard/Robinson to get more minutes is the attempt to tank according to some fans.

BlazerRed
07-04-2014, 01:25 AM
Rubbish signing.. don't see the point. At least that second year isn't guaranteed or I'd be ****ing raging.. we have a lot of flexibility in 2015.

bdreason
07-04-2014, 01:39 AM
They obviously wanted a big off the bench who could put the ball in the bucket when Aldridge isn't out there. Kaman isn't a great player, but he is a 7 footer who can score the ball.

RoseCity07
07-04-2014, 01:45 AM
What a depressingly weak move.

Meticode
07-04-2014, 01:49 AM
Lol... I always remember him laying down on the bench.. hahaha
http://ballerball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/kaman-sleeping-1050x700.jpg

This game was frustrating to watch. Lakers won even though they were in danger of not having enough players to be on the court. All they needed was 1 more injury. Someone on the team (I forget who) had 6 fouls in the game and they left him in because the rule stats every time that player with the 6 fouls fouls someone, the opposing team gets 2 freethrows + a tech freethrow. :oldlol:

Cactus-Sack
07-04-2014, 01:49 AM
They obviously wanted a big off the bench who could put the ball in the bucket when Aldridge isn't out there. Kaman isn't a great player, but he is a 7 footer who can score the ball.

With a bench as unproductive as Portland's was last year this is a smart signing. e may not be the player he once was, but he can produce.

Fawker
07-04-2014, 01:52 AM
the blazers are beasts. should be a good return for the money. these are the feel good signings. players that just want to win for kibbles.

Myth
07-04-2014, 04:20 AM
I see a good bench player and a very tradable contract. Good signing.

And every successful team has vets off the bench, so I don't understand why so many Blazer fans want to spend so much minutes on Freeland/Leonard.

-Lebron23-
07-04-2014, 08:05 AM
I don't get the criticism. It might be too much money for him but it is basically an expirer that they can trade down the road if it doesn't work out.

Potentially he brings low post scoring to a team sorely lacking inside-outside balance. Lillard-Kaman will play some of the worst PnR defense of all-time though

It's A VC3!!!
07-04-2014, 08:26 AM
And this is why the owners forced us into the lockout. Kaman shouldn't be getting anything more than the vet min. It's funny how players get paid based on their career achievements despite him being a shell of his former self and injured every season. He's been on three teams in three years. That should tell you something.

ZenMaster
07-04-2014, 08:38 AM
And this is why the owners forced us into the lockout. Kaman shouldn't be getting anything more than the vet min. It's funny how players get paid based on their career achievements despite him being a shell of his former self and injured every season. He's been on three teams in three years. That should tell you something.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345195