PDA

View Full Version : Mavs re-sign Devin Harris for ~3 yr/ $9 mill

D-Rose
07-05-2014, 02:44 PM
@ESPNSteinLine 2m
MT @espn_macmahon: I'm told Devin Harris deal reported by @ESPNSteinLine is for similar terms agreed to last summer: 3 years, $9+ million

@ESPNSteinLine 33m
Mavericks & Devin Harris putting finishing touches today on expected three-year deal. Priority for Dallas especially after Calderon traded

Exellent bargain. Was needed after Calderon trade. I'm still not convinced at Devin or Felton starting. Jameer would be a good fit at starter IMO. He seems like a Dallas guy.

IncarceratedBob
07-05-2014, 02:45 PM
It isn't 2006 anymore

bluechox2
07-05-2014, 02:45 PM
in b4 he breaks an ankle and ends up with the min again

dr.hee
07-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Nice value signing.

Done_And_Done
07-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Great signing for Dallas at that price.

StephHamann
07-05-2014, 02:55 PM
:applause:

hawkfan
07-05-2014, 03:03 PM
No more Melo.

bagelred
07-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Raymond Felton will NOT be happy about this...

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 03:19 PM
That is great value if true

BallsOut
07-05-2014, 03:21 PM
That is great value if true

Low tier retread point guards in Raymond Felton and Devin Harris instead of Isiah Thomas :applause:

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Low tier retread point guards in Raymond Felton and Devin Harris instead of Isiah Thomas :applause:

It depends on what else we do. Harris at 3 million a year is great value whether you have Thomas or not. People need to understand this about team building. It's all about value at price points.

If this is true...we now have Harris, Dirk, and Ellis at great value for their price point. That is really important.

Wright is on a fair deal and he expires....and obviously Chandler is overpaid, but he expires and is badly needed for us this year. Felton's contract is not bad either. 3.7 million a year for 2 years is fine. He could easily play a 10 to 15 minute role kind of like what Barea did for us back in 11 in the playoffs. Felton is definitely capable of that...he's just not a starter or 30 minute per game guy likely...but he still has that potential.

I actually wouldn't be against getting Thomas if the value was right even with Harris and Felton on the books. For starters, Feltons' deal is not some horrid contract that would be impossible to move. And at the right price...you just get Thomas and make it work.

I'd rather we fill in the sf and get a backup big, but the market for that might not be great.

I actually wish we had gone after Hawes, the contract he signed was a great value and he'd be another guy to take pressure off Dirk. Dirk, Wright, Hawes, and Chandler is a really solid group of bigs actually. Yea, it's not great defensively, but it's better than our group last year defensively and way better offensively.

Is it what I want? Nah...but unless Deng lowers his price or Ariza is willing to come here...we are kind of stuck.

StephHamann
07-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Harris played superb against the spurs

GTFO with thomas i don't want that midget

BallsOut
07-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Is it what I want? Nah...but unless Deng lowers his price or Ariza is willing to come here...we are kind of stuck.

I don't understand your infatuation with Deng or Ariza. Neither of those players are better defenders than Marion, who the Mavs have bird rights to and can probably sign for cheaper. Hell, Lebron always destroys Deng. Dude's overrated as hell.

Heavincent
07-05-2014, 03:40 PM
The Mavs are one piece away from being a legit contender imo. They're my dark horse if they get Ariza.

SCdac
07-05-2014, 03:41 PM
At least they know what they're getting in the 31 year old back up, for better or worse. He's experienced, still pretty fast, ok shooter. Nothing special, but looks better than he did in ATL that's for sure. Think he's comfortable on the Mavs.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
mavs now have about 13 mil in cap space left.

sign thomas for 8
sign and trade for pj tucker, 1 mil this year
sign dejuan blair for 1 mil
sign vince for 3 mil

BallsOut
07-05-2014, 03:46 PM
mavs now have about 13 mil in cap space left.

sign thomas for 8
sign and trade for pj tucker, 1 mil this year
sign dejuan blair for 1 mil
sign vince for 3 mil

They need to retain Marion. He's crucial in stopping the likes of Durant and James.

Artillery
07-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Strange situation. Harris sucked in the reg season but had a fantastic playoffs.

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 03:47 PM
I don't understand your infatuation with Deng or Ariza. Neither of those players are better defenders than Marion, who the Mavs have bird rights to and can probably sign for cheaper. Hell, Lebron always destroys Deng. Dude's overrated as hell.

Well...both players are better than Marion for starters....

Marion has serious limitations on offense and his defense is not nearly as good as it used to be.

I like Ariza because he's a quality do it all small forward and he's a great 3 point shooter now. That would be huge for our team....Marion's lack of consistent 3 point shooting and an ability to draw players away from the paint on Dirk/Ellis pick and rolls hurt us.

I just like Deng as a player a lot. He's a really good player at the position we need to address the most. The problem here is price. He's not worth 12 plus million a year.

Marion would be okay as a backup, but he's not a starter on a championship team anymore unless it's a stacked team. I hope he stays, but he'd have to take a reduced role of 15 to 20 minutes a game and be a backup.

DirkNowitzki41
07-05-2014, 03:48 PM
nice. good signing.

very good value especially when you consider what other people have been getting

SupermanOnSteroids
07-05-2014, 03:49 PM
be ware of Ariza, he had one good year in the contract year and wall has a habbit of making his wings look better than they are and get them overpaid. see martel webster.

StephHamann
07-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Well...both players are better than Marion for starters....

Marion has serious limitations on offense and his defense is not nearly as good as it used to be.

I like Ariza because he's a quality do it all small forward and he's a great 3 point shooter now. That would be huge for our team....Marion's lack of consistent 3 point shooting and an ability to draw players away from the paint on Dirk/Ellis pick and rolls hurt us.

I just like Deng as a player a lot. He's a really good player at the position we need to address the most. The problem here is price. He's not worth 12 plus million a year.

Marion would be okay as a backup, but he's not a starter on a championship team anymore unless it's a stacked team. I hope he stays, but he'd have to take a reduced role of 15 to 20 minutes a game and be a backup.

i expect a big step from Crowder, the dude is legit his defense is underrated he needs to develop his 3 pointer. i honestly believe he could become a great d and 3 guy

Cactus-Sack
07-05-2014, 03:51 PM
If they bring back VC, Matrix, get a decent big off the bench and someone (doesn't have to be an all-star) who can play point for 25mins, they're in good shape.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-05-2014, 03:54 PM
If they bring back VC, Matrix, get a decent big off the bench and someone (doesn't have to be an all-star) who can play point for 25mins, they're in good shape.

wouldn't that essentially be the same team from last year but another year older? mavs need to add at least 1 quality impact player for this offseason to be a success. the need to lock down wither one of deng, parsons, or thomas.

DirkNowitzki41
07-05-2014, 03:54 PM

I'm hoping Jordan Hill will be that big off the bench

Artillery
07-05-2014, 03:56 PM
be ware of Ariza, he had one good year in the contract year and wall has a habbit of making his wings look better than they are and get them overpaid. see martel webster.

Agree. His offense is actually overrated. Doesn't really impact his team much - just a spot up shooter. But his defense is legit. He's a great 3&D player so he's probably worth full MLE. Anything more than that and you're overpaying him.

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 04:06 PM
i expect a big step from Crowder, the dude is legit his defense is underrated he needs to develop his 3 pointer. i honestly believe he could become a great d and 3 guy

I'm not that high on Crowder. I think it's debatable whether or not he's a pro.

I like the idea of Tucker.

The problem about all of this shit is price.

If we could somehow get Thomas and Tucker and then sign Marion. I'd like that a lot actually.

Just not sure we can fit it all in.

Artillery
07-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm not that high on Crowder. I think it's debatable whether or not he's a pro.

I like the idea of Tucker.

The problem about all of this shit is price.

If we could somehow get Thomas and Tucker and then sign Marion. I'd like that a lot actually.

Just not sure we can fit it all in.

Crowder's a decent player - I'd keep him if I were the Mavs.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-05-2014, 04:18 PM
decent at times but very inconsistent. defense is ok, but that 3 point shot is off more often than on. not a bad backup though.

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Crowder's a decent player - I'd keep him if I were the Mavs.

I bet we keep him..he makes like 900k a year.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-05-2014, 04:22 PM
mavs have already picked up crowder's option

StephHamann
07-05-2014, 04:23 PM
is there a chance to get rid of mekel?

Artillery
07-05-2014, 04:44 PM
I bet we keep him..he makes like 900k a year.

Great value actually. His impact numbers for 2014 are actually pretty decent:

+1.26 - DRAPM
+0.46 - ORAPM
+1.72 - Total

kentatm
07-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Raymond Felton will NOT be happy about this...

too ****ing bad

he'd be an idiot to think Dallas was planning on his fat ass being a starter

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Great value actually. His impact numbers for 2014 are actually pretty decent:

+1.26 - DRAPM
+0.46 - ORAPM
+1.72 - Total

But it's on limited minutes. Crowder is fine for like 12 to 15 minutes a game, but that is really all he can do.

Yea...it's good value at that price. My point is that we can't expect Crowder to start playing 25 plus minutes a game. That won't work in my opinion.

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 04:50 PM
too ****ing bad

he'd be an idiot to think Dallas was planning on his fat ass being a starter

Hahah. You hate Felton...:cheers:

What do you want us to try going forward now that we know Dirk/Harris are back at roughly 13 million a year.

Artillery
07-05-2014, 04:54 PM
But it's on limited minutes. Crowder is fine for like 12 to 15 minutes a game, but that is really all he can do.

Yea...it's good value at that price. My point is that we can't expect Crowder to start playing 25 plus minutes a game. That won't work in my opinion.

Yeah, I get that. As a bench player, his production is good.

kentatm
07-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Hahah. You hate Felton...:cheers:

What do you want us to try going forward now that we know Dirk/Harris are back at roughly 13 million a year.

assuming pie in the sky guys like Bron and Melo take the money to stay where they are?

Deng or Ariza at SF (I think Houston matches on Parsons regardless of if they get Melo/Bosh)

sign Jason Smith as a backup C/PF while dumping Sarge

attempt to convince Blair to stay on a vet min deal

possibly get Mo Williams as a backup SG/PG on the cheap to be a fake Jason Terry. (team desperately needs 3 point shooters so any cheap G that can hit them will do really)

explore trade opportunities with a Wright/Felton package to improve depth

basically I see them trying to do more value moves like they did with Monta.

Artillery
07-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Weirdly enough, Felton was a better player than Calderon according to their 2014 RAPM numbers:

Calderon:
+2.03 - ORAPM
-3.38 - DRAPM
-1.35 - Total

Felton:
+2.20 - ORAPM
-1.87 - DRAPM
+0.34 - Total

Offensively, their impact is similar. Defensively, Calderon's a trainwreck.

I know Cuban has always been a supporter of advanced statisitics. I'm wondering if he took these numbers into consideration when he made that trade. Seems like Dallas upgraded their center and point guard with that move

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 05:05 PM
assuming pie in the sky guys like Bron and Melo take the money to stay where they are?

Deng or Ariza at SF (I think Houston matches on Parsons regardless of if they get Melo/Bosh)

sign Jason Smith as a backup C/PF

attempt to convince Blair to stay on a vet min deal

possibly get Mo Williams as a backup SG/PG on the cheap to be a fake Jason Terry.

explore trade opportunities with a Wright/Felton package to improve depth

basically I see them trying to do more value moves like they did with Monta.

Yea. Parsons isn't leaving Houston it sounds like.

I like the idea of Mo Williams.

What if we can't get Deng or Ariza? I don't really like the idea of Thomas, but if we got him for 3 years at 21 million (which is the reported high end of offers he's getting) I actually like that value a lot. Doesn't address our needs, but at this point, assuming we can't get Deng/Ariza, we might have to do value moves like you said we did with Monta last year.

I don't know if I'm just convincing myself, but I'm coming around on the idea. Moves Harris to his comfortable role as backup. Gives us a guy in Thomas that can create offense at will and is a deadly 3 point shooter with and without space. He and Ellis would drive defenses crazy.

I know you hate Felton, but if he was our 4th guard. That actually wouldn't be terrible. And reports are that we know we can salary dump him.

Thomas and a guy like PJ Tucker (although a bit undersized) would be nice additions. If we brought back Marion cheap and lowered his minutes down to 20 I think it would work a lot better.

Sigh...so hard, but this isn't terrible for now;

Thomas/Harris
Ellis/Felton
Tucker/Marion/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Blair

Maybe we salary dump Felton/Wright and it allows us to keep Carter and add another big.

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Weirdly enough, Felton was a better player than Calderon according to their 2014 RAPM numbers:

Calderon:
+2.03 - ORAPM
-3.38 - DRAPM
-1.35 - Total

Felton:
+2.20 - ORAPM
-1.87 - DRAPM
+0.34 - Total

Offensively, their impact is similar. Defensively, Calderon's a trainwreck.

I know Cuban has always been a supporter of advanced statisitics. I'm wondering if he took these numbers into consideration when he made that trade. Seems like Dallas upgraded their center and point guard with that move

Those numbers are a bit skewed in my opinion because Felton wasn't put in such a terrible position defensivley like we put Calderon in.

But I am kind of on the side of the objective measures here for the Mavs. I like Calderon but thought it was a poor fit. We either needed him to defend/rebound better...or create offense better. His playmaking role on offense just wasn't really needed as much for us as it will be on the Knicks.

I'm hoping Felton, if we keep him, can play a solid 15 to 20 minutes per game, but I'd still like to add another guard. Hell, we have to regardless if we don't keep Carter.

kentatm
07-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Yea. Parsons isn't leaving Houston it sounds like.

I like the idea of Mo Williams.

What if we can't get Deng or Ariza? I don't really like the idea of Thomas, but if we got him for 3 years at 21 million (which is the reported high end of offers he's getting) I actually like that value a lot. Doesn't address our needs, but at this point, assuming we can't get Deng/Ariza, we might have to do value moves like you said we did with Monta last year.

I don't know if I'm just convincing myself, but I'm coming around on the idea. Moves Harris to his comfortable role as backup. Gives us a guy in Thomas that can create offense at will and is a deadly 3 point shooter with and without space. He and Ellis would drive defenses crazy.

I know you hate Felton, but if he was our 4th guard. That actually wouldn't be terrible. And reports are that we know we can salary dump him.

Thomas and a guy like PJ Tucker (although a bit undersized) would be nice additions. If we brought back Marion cheap and lowered his minutes down to 20 I think it would work a lot better.

Sigh...so hard, but this isn't terrible for now;

Thomas/Harris
Ellis/Felton
Tucker/Marion/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Blair

Maybe we salary dump Felton/Wright and it allows us to keep Carter and add another big.

I leave out Marion not b/c I woudn't like to keep him but b/c I dont think he will be willing to take what Dallas is willing to pay.

I think between him and Carter that Dallas is far more likely to stay with Carter b/c Marion's D has dropped off and his shooting sucks unless he is wide open in the corners (and even then its weak). At least with Carter you know he is a killer 3 point shooter, has no issues being a bench player, and has some ability to create shots for himself and others.

Artillery
07-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Those numbers are a bit skewed in my opinion because Felton wasn't put in such a terrible position defensivley like we put Calderon in.

That's true but you also have to take into consideration that Felton was playing in a clusterfvck of a system in NY. Nothing but ISO, ISO, ISO. He is lazy, he is a poor defender. But he's at least not as bad some people are saying.

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I leave out Marion not b/c I woudn't like to keep him but b/c I dont think he will be willing to take what Dallas is willing to pay.

I think between him and Carter that Dallas is far more likely to stay with Carter b/c Marion's D has dropped off and his shooting sucks unless he is wide open in the corners (and even then its weak). At least with Carter you know he is a killer 3 point shooter, has no issues being a bench player, and has some ability to create shots for himself and others.

Oh yes. I would rather have Carter for sure. No question for me on that...I just worry a contender like the Heat or Thunder are going to steal him from us.

I don't want marion back unless it's a nice value contract and he's comfortable playing 18 to 22 minutes per game. He's not good enough to play 32 minutes a game for us anymore and like you said...we badly need stretch shooting at that position.

I have a feeling it just might be Stephenson that we end up with. He's probably the most undervalued player in the free agent class this year and his do it all style would be great for us. I doubt Rick and Dirk want to work with yet another "bad apple" so to speak, but there aren't a lot of 15/7/5 really good defensive players out there with his skillset and toughness. His rebounding would really help us a lot...and it seems as if he's turned himself into a pretty solid 3 point shooter as well unless last year was a fluke.

If we also brought back Carter...we could run out a sick end of game lineup. It wouldn't be ideal defensively, but it would be way better than any 5 man unit we had last year;

Ellis
Stephenson
Carter
Dirk
Chandler

DMAVS41
07-05-2014, 05:16 PM
That's true but you also have to take into consideration that Felton was playing in a clusterfvck of a system in NY. Nothing but ISO, ISO, ISO. He is lazy, he is a poor defender. But he's at least not as bad some people are saying.

Yes. Totally agree. He's going from a horrible situation to one of the most stable environments in the league...he also knows this is his last chance to have a career as if it doesn't work he's going to get dumped and he'll waste away next year as an expirer.

I'm not confident in him, but I really don't think we ultimately lost much with Calderon. His defense next to Ellis was beyond terrible.

Bird
07-05-2014, 06:49 PM

I would love if he just develops into a Danny Green type of pro:

Very good man to man defense, can be disruptive on fast breaks and nails those corner 3's.

Add in if he could make 3's from the rest of the arc at like a 35-38% rate and he would be a great guy to come off the bench and be an offensive spark plug from time to time.

I just want to see him improve more this season and become a little more aggressive with the ball in his hands and around the basket.

ihatetimthomas
07-05-2014, 07:57 PM

What about his year in Portland? His poor play started there.

To4
07-05-2014, 08:06 PM
I dunno why anybody hates isiah thomas.. Dont let the height fool you.. he can ball.. He just needs a tall guard to be with him on a line up..

andremiller07
07-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Harris is better than Collison imo and he got 1/2 the money great signing.

DMAVS41
07-06-2014, 02:24 AM
New reports say it's 3 years 12 million. Which would be correct value, but not as good of a signing.

GimmeThat
07-06-2014, 03:56 AM
they should transform Harris's skillset into that of Livingston

let the mission impossible begin!!!

gasolina
07-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Dont like thomas on the mavs. Basically you dont want your 2nd best offseason acquisition not playing in the 4th quarter.

Ariza is perfect. Deng isnt but will bring extra rebounding I think the Mavs sorely lacked

DMAVS41
07-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Dont like thomas on the mavs. Basically you dont want your 2nd best offseason acquisition not playing in the 4th quarter.

Ariza is perfect. Deng isnt but will bring extra rebounding I think the Mavs sorely lacked

Yea, it's tough...

I wouldn't write off Thomas playing crunch time either...he certainly defends better than Calderon and is simply a more dangerous scorer...

While our defense certainly would leave a lot to be desired (but again...it would be better than last years defense and it was almost enough to really contend)..if we also brought back Carter, our end of games lineup either way could be crazy dangerous;

Thomas
Ellis
Carter
Dirk
Chandler

4 knockdown 3 point shooters. 3 that can handle the ball on the pick and roll. A great offensive rebounder, screen setter, and rim run guy in Chandler. And then of course Dirk that can pick and pop and post up and stretch the floor.

Defenses could not stop that...especially with Ellis and his ability to get to the rim. If Ellis adds a more consistent midrange game this summer...a lineup like that would just be damn near impossible to stop.

I agree though...Ariza just seems like the perfect fit. The problem is that he's not consistent and he's been hurt a couple times the last few years.

Put it this way. Even though Ariza fits well, I'd rather have Thomas at 3 years 21 million than Ariza at 3 years 29 million. It still remains all about value for me....especially when Ariza's price might keep us from bringing back Carter.

Little known fact is that Carter really gave it all on defense last year. I know he's old, but he's still athletic and he's big. He can play sf for us at times. Again, it's not ideal because he'll wear down a lot guarding elite wings, but Carlisle is a genius and we might run a lot of pseudo zone late in games if we don't get the wing defender we need. This is why depth to me is so important. It's why I don't mind Felton as much as a lot of Mavs fans. He's just another legit pro on our team. As long as he doesn't pull an "odom"...I really think he's going to surprise. In the 2011 playoffs, for example, Barea played 19 mpg and averaged 9/2/3 50% TS. But his impact was greater than that because he was a spark plug. Felton could do that in his sleep...and while Barea held his own defensively, he still was our worst defender (well, after Peja) and had serious limitations on that end due to his size. The point is that Felton, if used properly, could be a nice asset.

That is why I'm kind of in favor of adding Thomas depending on how this shakes out. Felton in that Barea role could be great. Felton asked to play 25 plus minutes per game could be trouble.

You either win with mutliple superstars/stars...or with a team built like the Spurs/Pistons. Very rare do the 1 superstar teams win like the 94 Rockets, 03 Spurs, and 11 Mavs. Considering we no longer have a superstar, we should build our team like the Spurs. Even though the 11 roster was a superstar team...it still had a lot of depth and Dirk's style of play in which he can dominate without the ball in his hands offensively...really opened things up to a Spurs like approach. So when you look at our team and start to think about depth, Thomas might be a nice move.

Thomas/Harris/Felton
Ellis/Carter
SF/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Blair

We add some filler at SF capable of playing 25 to 30 minutes a game (easier said than done) and we'd have a legit 11 man deep roster...and that would take such a load off Dirk and Ellis during the regular season...and gives us a ton of flexibility with our units.

I just really hope we don't go after Hayward.

GimmeThat
07-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Yea, it's tough...

I wouldn't write off Thomas playing crunch time either...he certainly defends better than Calderon and is simply a more dangerous scorer...

While our defense certainly would leave a lot to be desired (but again...it would be better than last years defense and it was almost enough to really contend)..if we also brought back Carter, our end of games lineup either way could be crazy dangerous;

Thomas
Ellis
Carter
Dirk
Chandler

4 knockdown 3 point shooters. 3 that can handle the ball on the pick and roll. A great offensive rebounder, screen setter, and rim run guy in Chandler. And then of course Dirk that can pick and pop and post up and stretch the floor.

Defenses could not stop that...especially with Ellis and his ability to get to the rim. If Ellis adds a more consistent midrange game this summer...a lineup like that would just be damn near impossible to stop.

that's a really really good end game line up in terms of offense.

I still don't know why teams don't give Turner a chance, he can probably come at cheap even as a defensive specialist at the 2/3 position. he's not your 3/4 wing player which seems to be what most desire nowadays. But Thomas's ability to score, really gives room for Turner to shine.

I also think that the regular season is what might give this team trouble. idealistically it's a pretty good/decent playoff team, but I just don't know if it'll get you the 3rd/4th seed in the playoff, which matters a whole lot because I think this team only needs to pull off one upset instead of two in order to make it to the finals.

I'd even look at Wesley Johnson past Thomas/Turner to give this team the depth it needs to endure the 82 games regular season.

DMAVS41
07-06-2014, 11:40 AM
that's a really really good end game line up in terms of offense.

I still don't know why teams don't give Turner a chance, he can probably come at cheap even as a defensive specialist at the 2/3 position. he's not your 3/4 wing player which seems to be what most desire nowadays. But Thomas's ability to score, really gives room for Turner to shine.

I also think that the regular season is what might give this team trouble. idealistically it's a pretty good/decent playoff team, but I just don't know if it'll get you the 3rd/4th seed in the playoff, which matters a whole lot because I think this team only needs to pull off one upset instead of two in order to make it to the finals.

I'd even look at Wesley Johnson past Thomas/Turner to give this team the depth it needs to endure the 82 games regular season.

Right. The depth is crucial for the regular season. I have no idea what kind of see they would get or even if they make the playoffs in an impossibly hard west. I do really think that depth for this team is going to be huge though. We have to find a way to go 10 or 11 deep in the regular season. Right now we are 7 deep with legit players.

Dirk/Harris/Felton/Chandler/Wright/Crowder/Ellis

Could we get creative with the numbers and have room to add Thomas, Carter, Wesley, Blair (or backup big)...to the above?

If so, that would be 11 deep and I'd love our chance to make the playoffs and be healthy/fresh enough to make noise. I like Garcia as well. Think he'd fit in nicely.

The problem with all this is that the Mavs are hardly a lock to even make the playoffs. Hardly anyone is in the West outside the Spurs, Clippers, and Thunder in my opinion.

GimmeThat
07-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Right now we are 7 deep with legit players.

Dirk/Harris/Felton/Chandler/Wright/Crowder/Ellis

Could we get creative with the numbers and have room to add Thomas, Carter, Wesley, Blair (or backup big)...to the above?

If so, that would be 11 deep and I'd love our chance to make the playoffs and be healthy/fresh enough to make noise.

the Dirk/Nash pairing eventually didn't work out
so I might be able to understand the hesitant as well as concern of signing Thomas as the biggest addition to the team.

just for kicks and giggles.

where do you think Marcus Smart could take this team if they resign Carter/Marion.

DMAVS41
07-06-2014, 12:07 PM
the Dirk/Nash pairing eventually didn't work out
so I might be able to understand the hesitant as well as concern of signing Thomas as the biggest addition to the team.

just for kicks and giggles.

where do you think Marcus Smart could take this team if they resign Carter/Marion.

Well sure, we are all hesitant about it, but it might be the best value out there.

Marcus Smart? He'd fit in nicely, but our window is so small that by the time he get really good likely...the window would be closing or closed.

I'm not saying I'd love to get Thomas, but if reports are correct that he's asking for 24 million over 3 years...and offers are coming in at 6.5 to 7. And we got him for 3 years 22 million or something. I just don't see a better "value" out there in the league right now. Given the fact that another pg would actually help a lot...I'm starting to like it....especially if we get him and have more for Carter...which we probably wouldn't have with Ariza and certainly not for Deng.

I guess I just think we need one more starter type player and then just a fill out roster as best we can. Whether that is another pg or sf for the starter remains to be seen. Currently the best value remains Thomas in my opinion, but again, we don't know exactly how much he or Ariza will cost. The best value could be Ariza, but I seriously doubt it given the market conditions. How can Meeks get nearly 7 million a year and Ariza not get 10? At 10...I don't see how Ariza makes sense now.