PDA

View Full Version : Oldest definite "Euro Step" I've seen to date:

CavaliersFTW
07-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Drumroll please...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDsi60FVyoI

This is a simple basketball move that is way way older than is given credit for. It's virtually as old as basketball started being covered on film... which leads me to believe it's just another fundamental basketball move probably as old as the rules that allowed it to exist.

JohnFreeman
07-05-2014, 11:58 PM
One of the worst "euro steps" I have ever seen

CavaliersFTW
07-06-2014, 12:00 AM
One of the worst "euro steps" I have ever seen
Looks pretty textbook to me, why u so mad?

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Uh, that's not a Eurostep. Eurostep is when the player shifts direction with his two steps.

CavaliersFTW
07-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Uh, that's not a Eurostep. Eurostep is when the player shifts direction with his two steps.
Which he does

rhowen4
07-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Well that is definitely a step. I wouldn't call it a euro step though, he doesn't move in essentially opposite directions with the steps. 💖

Rake2204
07-06-2014, 12:10 AM
I am unsure if I would declare that a legitimate Euro-step. If we really just want to file all things Euro-step as simply being "a change in direction" then I think we're going to end up with a pretty broad listing of what could all fall under that umbrella.

There's been variations of foot movements after picking up one's dribble throughout history but I am not sure what we declare a textbook Euro-step is really of the same ilk we see in that Cousy clip. Perhaps they are distant relatives.

TheGreatDeraj
07-06-2014, 12:13 AM
It was a good move and nice pass on the fast break, but I'm not sure that a Eurostep

Doesn't quite look like these to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjt7nStpZwg

maybe the Rondo one perhaps

Cousy looked like Nash or Magic in that clip, any chance you have a old Celtics fast break mix?

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-06-2014, 12:14 AM
He doesn't really change directions. He changes the position of his feet. There is a major difference but I am not going into a ton of detail.

CavaliersFTW
07-06-2014, 12:16 AM
It was a good move and nice pass on the fast break, but I'm not sure that a Eurostep

Doesn't quite look like these to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjt7nStpZwg

maybe the Rondo one perhaps

Cousy looked like Nash or Magic in that clip, any chance you have a old Celtics fast break mix?
If a Eurostep requires 2 full steps, than that specifically can only be possible post 1980's (late 1980's I think), only 1.5 steps was allowed after a dribble was picked up prior to that, you can see Cousy dribbles once after his step-fake to the left, he puts the ball down once more as he goes right. You had to do that then, you don't have to do that now. This changes how extreme you can sell the fake, if you don't have to dribble after the first step you can exaggerate the motion. IMO it's the same move, just the ball handling rules today make the move look more exaggerated, just like a crossover dribble - which also existed back then - looks more exaggerated today because carrying isn't called.

CavaliersFTW
07-06-2014, 12:19 AM
He doesn't really change directions. He changes the position of his feet. There is a major difference but I am not going into a ton of detail.
he had to maintain his dribble, he's doing the same fundamental move as far as it can be done given the fact that he couldn't outright pick up the ball and take two full steps

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-06-2014, 12:22 AM
he had to maintain his dribble, he's doing the same fundamental move as far as it can be done given the fact that he couldn't outright pick up the ball and take two full steps.

So what you are saying:

He would have done it had he been allowed to?

Meticode
07-06-2014, 12:23 AM
It was a semi-Euro step. I think it's just a ploy to get your video viewed more than it should mother****er. :mad:

Just kidding about the video, but I still think it was a semi-Euro step.

Rake2204
07-06-2014, 12:23 AM
If a Eurostep requires 2 full steps, than that specifically can only be possible post 1980's (late 1980's I think), only 1.5 steps was allowed after a dribble was picked up prior to that, you can see Cousy dribbles once after his step-fake to the left, he puts the ball down once more as he goes right. You had to do that then, you don't have to do that now. This changes how extreme you can sell the fake, if you don't have to dribble after the first step you can exaggerate the motion. IMO it's the same move, just the ball handling rules today make the move look more exaggerated, just like a crossover dribble - which also existed back then - looks more exaggerated today because carrying isn't called.As a major user and abuser of the Euro-step in my day-to-day basketball endeavors, I do not believe it's the same move. Perhaps you hit the nail on the head in citing rule differences. However you wish to slice it, they may be in the same family but if I were to execute Cousy's move in a game, it'd feel quite different than if I were to Euro.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Not a euro step. He just stepped to the side of the defender.

Rake2204
07-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Not a euro step. He just stepped to the side of the defender.Yeah, maybe side-step was the phrase I was looking for. Folks instituted many forms of side-stepping for years before the Euro properly emerged.

CavaliersFTW
07-06-2014, 12:27 AM
It was a semi-Euro step. I think it's just a ploy to get your video viewed more than it should mother****er. :mad:

Just kidding about the video, but I still think it was a semi-Euro step.
it's unlisted lol i see the white text tho

Droid101
07-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Yuck I hate when they turn 4:3 videos into widescreen by adding that shit on the sides. Impossible to watch.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Yeah, maybe side-step was the phrase I was looking for. Folks instituted many forms of side-stepping for years before the Euro properly emerged.
Yeah. It would've been a euro step if his last step before passing was to the right of the defender (from the defender's pov).

Meticode
07-06-2014, 12:29 AM
it's unlisted lol i see the white text tho
:D

CavaliersFTW
07-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Yuck I hate when they turn 4:3 videos into widescreen by adding that shit on the sides. Impossible to watch.
that's how i will make all my videos from now on, deal with it :pimp:

Meticode
07-06-2014, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't use hate personally, but I definitely prefer the original black bars.

CavaliersFTW
07-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah. It would've been a euro step if his last step before passing was to the right of the defender (from the defender's pov).
that is not a necessary criteria for a move to be considered a eurostep, a eurostep can literally be done without any defender, it's just a fake one way with a big step followed by a big step and finish off the other foot in the other direction

Crystallas
07-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Sorry, not a eurostep. Not that it matters to point that out to someone that has made up their mind.

What's next? Every juke move is going to be called a eurostep now?

RoundMoundOfReb
07-06-2014, 12:38 AM
that is not a necessary criteria for a move to be considered a eurostep, a eurostep can literally be done without any defender, it's just a fake one way with a big step followed by a big step and finish off the other foot in the other direction
I know. A eurostep, from what i understand, is when a player steps in one direction on his first step and in the opposite direction on his next one. Cousy just looked like he stepped twice towards the right.

ZenMaster
07-06-2014, 12:59 AM
If a Eurostep requires 2 full steps, than that specifically can only be possible post 1980's (late 1980's I think), only 1.5 steps was allowed after a dribble was picked up prior to that, you can see Cousy dribbles once after his step-fake to the left, he puts the ball down once more as he goes right. You had to do that then, you don't have to do that now. This changes how extreme you can sell the fake, if you don't have to dribble after the first step you can exaggerate the motion. IMO it's the same move, just the ball handling rules today make the move look more exaggerated, just like a crossover dribble - which also existed back then - looks more exaggerated today because carrying isn't called.

The idea of the eurostep is to "split" the defender as in faking right then going left or opposite.

What happens in that video is that he does a basic drive and then gives him self and angle on the rim and next defender.

Droid101
07-06-2014, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't use hate personally, but I definitely prefer the original black bars.
Fine.

It's mildly irritating.

But, that doesn't work on ISH. You must hate EVERYTHING here!

SyRyanYang
07-06-2014, 01:08 AM
latest definite "trying way too hard" from Cavftw

how typical