PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to continue push to sign Pau Gasol

toxicxr6
07-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Apparently they think they still have a good chance to sign Gasol and will make a push to do so......
Man if that happens :rockon: Spurs will be significantly deeper than last season....

Bosnian Sajo
07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Unless they s&t someone, I don't see it happening. With the Diaw signing, do the Spurs even have the full MLE to offer? Gasol looking for that mula.

toxicxr6
07-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Unless they s&t someone, I don't see it happening. With the Diaw signing, do the Spurs even have the full MLE to offer? Gasol looking for that mula.

yes spurs do have a MLE they plan to use... Obviously Pau would be taking less money.. Spurs have met with him and think they have a realistic chance to sign him

Smook A.
07-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Just hand the Spurs the 2015 Championship if they sign Pau Gasol

buddha
07-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Parker / Mills
Green / Nobli
Leonard / Belli
Diaw / Gasol
Duncan / Splitter

i'm confident that second unit would secure home court advantage in the east.

Nash
07-06-2014, 09:11 PM
If the big 3 returns to Miami he should go there. They have a starting gig for him and a clear path to the finals. In the west, you can never bank on a finals trip.

Kingwillball
07-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Parker / Mills
Green / Nobli
Leonard / Belli
Diaw / Gasol
Duncan / Splitter

Who would the 2nd unit beat in a series.. Nobody

Akrazotile
07-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Just hand the Spurs the 2015 Championship if they sign Pau Gasol

This, and might as well let them skip the regular season as well because we already know theyre gonna get homecourt regardless how many minutes the guys play. :oldlol:

AnaheimLakers24
07-06-2014, 09:19 PM
gasol accepting bench role :lol an signing for vet? :lol

AnaheimLakers24
07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
This, and might as well let them skip the regular season as well because we already know theyre gonna get homecourt regardless how many minutes the guys play. :oldlol:
2/5 but 50% fg doh:roll: :roll:

robert_shaww
07-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Parker / Mills
Green / Nobli
Leonard / Belli
Diaw / Gasol
Duncan / Splitter

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Milbuck
Mills/Ginobili/Belinelli/Gasol/Splitter with Pop as coach? Assuming that's the starting lineup and they have some semblance of a bench, they could beat any team in the East aside from Miami.

Bosnian Sajo
Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa, I can bet my dick that Gasol would not be a bench player, get real son.

JimmyMcAdocious

I think Zebras look weird.

toxicxr6
07-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa, I can bet my dick that Gasol would not be a bench player, get real son.

Who said he would be off the bench.. If he earned his spot as a starter.. Spurs would start him and bring splitter off the bench..

CoastalRyan
07-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Gasol starting makes the most sense. Like Diaw I think he's best suited for short spurts at the start of the game, start of the second half and finishing out quarters. Not to say that his minutes wouldn't equate to 25-30 a night if he's producing and healthy. Contrary to that Splitter does his best work in longer stretches which is why Diaw was so effective at points where he matched up with either a bench player or someone on the tail end of a 10 minute stretch.

The big question is would he be willing at his age to learn a system that usually takes guys a year or so to acclimate to. I'm not familiar with Gasol's ego and how it would deal with being benched for a player who better fits a scenario or gameplan but has lesser talent. This happens all the time with the Spurs. IE Bonner getting steady regular season minutes.

roffie
07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
he wud start over diaw if he does sign there

Bosnian Sajo
07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Who said he would be off the bench.. If he earned his spot as a starter.. Spurs would start him and bring splitter off the bench..

buddah. That's who.

Nash
07-06-2014, 09:50 PM
he wud start over diaw if he does sign there
not diaw who is the issue here, it is Duncan and Splitter.

thefatmiral
07-06-2014, 09:52 PM
noooo don't want that

T_L_P
07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
not diaw who is the issue here, it is Duncan and Splitter.

You think Duncan should be coming off the bench?

ThePhantomCreep
07-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Cool, more rest for the incredibly well-rested Tim Duncan. Will he be the first player to "lead" a team to a title averaging 11/8?

rmt
07-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Cool, more rest for the incredibly well-rested Tim Duncan. Will he be the first player to "lead" a team to a title averaging 11/8?

Well, he led the entire team in minutes in both regular season and playoffs - more than Parker or the 22 year old Leonard. I think Pop learned his lesson from games 6 and 7 - have your best player on the court in crunch time - worked this time.

Don't see the need for Gasol - too much duplication of Duncan. But if so, Spurs' bball IQ off the charts!

Upgrayedd
07-07-2014, 12:46 AM
I hope this happens. It would make so much sense. If Gasol wants a legit chance at winning another championship, the Spurs are his best chance.

Upgrayedd
07-07-2014, 12:55 AM
If Gasol went to the Spurs, that would literally be the best bench in the league. If the bench was the starting lineup of a team they'd probably make the playoffs and finish 8th out West and probably 4th out East.

C: Gasol
PF: Diaw
SF: Belinelli
SG: Ginobili
PG: Mills

:bowdown:

Meticode
07-07-2014, 12:56 AM
I've pushed for this. It's the perfect team situation for him in my opinion. The ball won't touch the floor, and Duncan and Gasol can give each other rest.

Upgrayedd
07-07-2014, 12:59 AM
I've pushed for this. It's the perfect team situation for him in my opinion. The ball won't touch the floor, and Duncan and Gasol can give each other rest.

Yep. I've been saying this too. People who are saying Gasol wouldn't accept a role on the bench don't realize how important he'd be to the Spurs. He wouldn't just be a regular bench player. None of the players on the bench on the Spurs are just regular bench players. They all have a big role. But Gasol would really have a big role helping out Duncan. Duncan could get some serious rest in games and Gasol could play a lot for him. Duncan could sit out a lot of games too and Gasol could start.

Harison
07-07-2014, 01:02 AM
If it happens, Spurs would beat another NBA record - nobody would average more than 25 mins and Spurs still wins 60+, in the stacked West no less :lol

Upgrayedd
07-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Don't see the need for Gasol - too much duplication of Duncan. But if so, Spurs' bball IQ off the charts!

That's just it though. With Gasol, Popovich could actually give Duncan some real rest. They could sit him out a lot of games and keep him fresh for the playoffs. Gasol could easily start over Duncan while Duncan sits out games (especially back to back games). In the actual game, Gasol could still give Duncan a lot of rest and Duncan wouldn't need to play so much in every game.

Tycriss
07-07-2014, 01:15 AM
If Gasol went to the Spurs, that would literally be the best bench in the league. If the bench was the starting lineup of a team they'd probably make the playoffs and finish 8th out West and probably 4th out East.

C: Gasol
PF: Diaw
SF: Belinelli
SG: Ginobili
PG: Mills

:bowdown:

N

tragicbronson
07-07-2014, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=Tycriss]N

SpanishACB
07-07-2014, 03:47 AM
why would the Spurs want Gasol at this point?

When at the top of his defensive game, Gasol is basically a slightly worse version of Duncan. And they're both old.

TMT
07-07-2014, 04:11 AM
I can't see Gasol joining the Spurs to be the 4th highest paid big. I think he stays in LA.

IMObjective
07-07-2014, 04:52 AM
You think Duncan should be coming off the bench?
He can add a 6moty trophy to his case.

-Lebron23-
07-07-2014, 05:51 AM
I only see this happening as a S&T for Splitter. I didn't think it made much sense but after Diaw's deal, I would not be the least surprised if this went through

CoastalRyan
07-07-2014, 08:53 AM
why would the Spurs want Gasol at this point?

When at the top of his defensive game, Gasol is basically a slightly worse version of Duncan. And they're both old.
Because his style of game fits with the system. When not overloaded he can still be effective and The Spurs FO have always liked players with post season experience.

One thing Gasol should consider is how much better the Spurs are at extending the career of talented players. They're not going to burn him up in one season by asking too much.

I only see this happening as a S&T for Splitter. I didn't think it made much sense but after Diaw's deal, I would not be the least surprised if this went through

Right now there's no way the Spurs FO values Gasol over Splitter. He's not fancy on paper but Splitter works the pick and roll with Parker better than anyone on the team. He also defends the pick and roll as good as any big in the league.

Again he may not look great on paper with a ton of blocks but he's rarely out of defensive position and he's been a functioning part of the system for some time.

Additionally he doesn't whine when benched and understands that at times he might not get the minutes he wants or deserves when Pop decides to experiment with lineups or play situation ball.

GimmeThat
07-07-2014, 09:02 AM
well, he's playing the FIBA tournament this year

so I suspect he is passionate and love the game of basketball more than others believe.

Anaximandro1
07-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Right now there's no way the Spurs FO values Gasol over Splitter. He's not fancy on paper but Splitter works the pick and roll with Parker better than anyone on the team. He also defends the pick and roll as good as any big in the league.

And Tiago played very good defense on Dirk and LMA.