PDA

View Full Version : facebook conversation about Tim Duncan with a casual fan of the NBA

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 12:15 AM
me - Duncans stupid hes coming back next year. He shoulda retired a champion.
Like john elway

him - well they could potentially win again
or at least make a run for it
hes still good
not like shaq
shaq was garbage on boston lol
just some big slow fat ass

me - Ya but the longer duncan stays the less productive he is. Go out atleast being 3rd best scorer on your team. Next year he might not even play half the game

him - well i think he should play this year then retire

me - Hes only healthy cause the spurs are so stacked all he has to average is 25 minutes a game. If kobe could do that and win 60 games he would play till hes 50 years old lol

Him - Kobe actually has to carry his teams offensively.
Takes more mileage off the body
Like jordan only played 13 years before he went to washington
hiss knees were already gone
duncan isnt as physical
he just plays smart

me - Ya he plays safe and under the radar. Doesnt get allot of hype or pressure. Just coasts on stacked teams and lets 3 other guys outscore him lol..hes got it easy.

him - lol
do you think hes better than garnett right now?
like if garnett was on the spurs do you think garnett would put up more points?

me - i think garnett could do whatever duncans doing for sanantionio.. all hes doing is getting easy put backs and blocking shots/grabbing rebounds for 25 minutes a night. i think duncan lucked out by going to sanantionio and having a top 5 all time coach his whole life. plus tony parker. ginobili. and he had david robinson when he was younger. garnett was the more all around talented/skilled player. duncans a bit smarter. right now duncan has a better body cause he was taken care of better the last 8 years by his team

him - Ya garnett seems more talanted
and is able to carry a team

me - garnett just gets shook in pressure situations. he was always kinda like lebron.. passive in the clutch. doesnt like to fight but talks allot of shit. definitely more talented than duncan in his prime though

him - ya

--------------------------------------end of conversation

this is the norm. people joking and poking fun at the thought of duncan winning titles with this stacked roster. nonchalant backhanded compliments. more of a joke really. we respect the guy but he isnt really impressing anyone or moving up on any all time lists with his career over the last 7-8 years

ThePhantomCreep
07-07-2014, 12:18 AM
But he still plays elite defense (for about 15 minutes per game)!

LeJohn Janes
07-07-2014, 12:19 AM
The 2 of you sound like idiots.

rmt
07-07-2014, 12:19 AM
All your wishful thinking won't stop Duncan and the Spurs from winning - good to see Mills and Diaw back - go for the elusive repeat.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Dumb and Dumber

Beastmode88
:facepalm duncan > kobe

toxicxr6
congrats KG found someone as dumb as him :applause:

LA Lakers
Every year people say San Antoine's run has come to an end and every year they are right back at the top. Pop excellent at limiting his minutes and now he has an All Star in Kawhi to lead the team to the top with Parker, great bench, solid role players. If Manu isn't healthy though, forget it. He had a resurgent year, everyone forgets.

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Him - Kobe actually has to carry his teams offensively.
Takes more mileage off the body
Like jordan only played 13 years before he went to washington
hiss knees were already gone
duncan isnt as physical
he just plays smart

this was the quote that got me... a casual fan that barely even fallows the nba knows more than half the people on this board

he hit it right on the nail... kobe has to carry teams offensively. takes a ton off the body. people dont realize this

RoundMoundOfReb
07-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Duncan has to carry his teams defensively..

ThePhantomCreep
Every year people say San Antoine's run has come to an end and every year they are right back at the top. Pop excellent at limiting his minutes and now he has an All Star in Kawhi to lead the team to the top with Parker, great bench, solid role players. If Manu isn't healthy though, forget it. He had a resurgent year, everyone forgets.

They went seven years without winning a title. I'd call that a pretty long dry spell.

GimmeThat
probably because Tony Parker and Manu aren't hanging it up yet

Duncan is SUPER BETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 12:24 AM
not really. and they werent even known for their defense this year and havent been for a while

LA Lakers
Yeah, but when have they not been relevant or title contenders?

ThePhantomCreep

Did someone bump this post from 2005? How is it relevant in 2014?

zoom17
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/225/6/9/oh_my_god__who_the_hell_cares__by_nzabob-d46gjne.gif

LA Lakers
07-07-2014, 12:25 AM
7 years without winning a title, most teams NEVER win a title.

ThePhantomCreep
07-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Yeah, but when have they not been relevant or title contenders?

2009, 2010, and the year they lost to an 8th seed.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Did someone bump this post from 2005? How is it relevant in 2014?

Duncan is still the spurs most impactful defensive player.

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 12:28 AM
All your wishful thinking won't stop Duncan and the Spurs from winning - good to see Mills and Diaw back - go for the elusive repeat.
lol you said it

"elusive repeat"

while kobes repeated 3 times already

and i hope duncan can do it. BO-LIEVE!

http://i59.tinypic.com/ael5l2.jpg

LA Lakers
07-07-2014, 12:28 AM
2009 okay we all new LAKERS were coming out of the West that year, 2010 same. But they were still relevant. You picked 2 years where everybody knew the Lakers were going to the Finals. And yeah, they got upset by Memphis, I believe? Thats an upset though. No one had Memphis to win that series. The fact that Spurs were the 1 seed shows, again, relevance and contention.

ThePhantomCreep
07-07-2014, 12:29 AM

Dude averaged 33 mpg in the playoffs.

The only thing he carries these days are smelling salts to keep from falling asleep on the sidelines.

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 12:30 AM

thats arguable.... for the few minutes hes actually on the court

dont they blow out playoff teams on national tv on the regular without duncan?

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Kawhi is still the third/4th man. He will take the reigns, but he is not yet our All-Star/

FMVP ... stay salty

DonDadda59
07-07-2014, 12:32 AM

The only thing he carries these days are smelling salts to keep from falling asleep on the sidelines.

While Bean was doing what in the playoffs exactly?

That's right- getting fat from gorging on the Lakers' salary cap.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-07-2014, 12:32 AM

Nobody on the Spurs plays a lot of minutes. And I'm not denying that the Spurs are stacked - they are. But Duncan is still the most valuable player on that team.

Angel Face
07-07-2014, 12:34 AM
So OP created a facebook alt to talk to himself?

Nuff Said
07-07-2014, 12:37 AM
They went seven years without winning a title. I'd call that a pretty long dry spell.
Long compared to what standards? I would definitely like to see the average number of years between championships for teams with multiple championships. Something tells me spurs are near the top.

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 12:40 AM
While Bean was doing what in the playoffs exactly?

That's right- getting fat from gorging on the Lakers' salary cap.

let me take a knife to the back of your leg and a baseball bat to your knee. we'l see if you can even walk to the game as a spectator let alone carry a retooling franchise tanking onpurpose for a high draft pick

common man .. get some new material. hate on people who actually have a leg to stand on. LITERALLY

T_L_P
07-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Even though I have no interests in the Duncan/Kobe debate (you're too entrenched in your own views to listen), your comment on why Duncan is able to stay healthy is bogus.

His knees have apparently been bone-on-bone for years now...and he's only getting about 1 minute less per game these days than he was 3-4 years ago, when his health was in question.

The reason Duncan is so healthy is because he conditions himself perfectly. You might remember him dropping a lot of weight to keep the pressure off his knees, and that's the main reason why he's in good shape -- well, relatively good shape (he still says he plays through pain).

:confusedshrug:

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Even though I have no interests in the Duncan/Kobe debate (you're too entrenched in your own views to listen), your comment on why Duncan is able to stay healthy is bogus.

His knees have apparently been bone-on-bone for years now...and he's only getting about 1 minute less per game these days than he was 3-4 years ago, when his health was in question.

The reason Duncan is so healthy is because he conditions himself perfectly. You might remember him dropping a lot of weight to keep the pressure off his knees, and that's the main reason why he's in good shape -- well, relatively good shape (he still says he plays through pain).

:confusedshrug:

there is no debate in reality

there was a poll on espn not long ago and over 200 thousand people voted duncan around 14th all time

kobe was 7th

even on a forum where the most hardcore fans come out to talk about the most obscure of stars.. i still only see you and maybe 1 other guy representing tim

he has no fans

he has no impact on nba culture outside of sanantionio

so even if it was close for a debate just on a pure resume. its still just a meaningless argument between me and you.. we're insignificant

i let the world do my debating for me

T_L_P
07-07-2014, 01:10 AM
there is no debate in reality

there was a poll on espn not long ago and over 200 thousand people voted duncan around 14th all time

kobe was 7th

even on a forum where the most hardcore fans come out to talk about the most obscure of stars.. i still only see you and maybe 1 other guy representing tim

he has no fans

he has no impact on nba culture outside of sanantionio

so even if it was close for a debate just on a pure resume. its still just a meaningless argument between me and you.. we're insignificant

i let the world do my debating for me

None of this has anything to do with what I said. :oldlol:

STATUTORY
07-07-2014, 01:19 AM
how many gq covers has duncan had? NONE

how many albums?

dude has no cultural impact

Milbuck
07-07-2014, 01:20 AM
This is a retarded thread and Duncan > Kobe all-time, but Duncan is not the most impactful defensive player on his team. Duncan may anchor the defense from the paint, but Kawhi is the most dangerous defender on that team, the Spurs defense only goes as far as Kawhi goes.

Spurs were 1.4 points worse with TD on the floor in the regular season. The opposition also had a marginally better eFG% him on the floor (.485 vs .478) and had a 1.3% lower TOV rate. In the playoffs they were dead even defensively between him being on and off the floor. This time the opposition shot slightly better with him off the court (.500 vs .488), but still had a higher TOV rate with him off the court at 1.7% higher.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01/on-off/2014/

The Spurs were 5.4 points better defensively with Kawhi in the regular season. Their opposition also shot worse (.473 vs .490) when Kawhi was on the floor, and turned the ball over a bit more (0.6%). In the playoffs with Kawhi on the floor, the Spurs defense was 4.2 points better, the opposition shot worse (.486 vs .503), and they turned the ball over at 2.4% higher rate.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leonaka01/on-off/2014/

zoom17
07-07-2014, 01:21 AM
how many gq covers has duncan had? NONE

how many albums?

dude has no cultural impact

http://takemeback.to/media/cover/cover-SportsIllustrated-19990531-46244.jpg

rmt
07-07-2014, 01:22 AM
not really. and they werent even known for their defense this year and havent been for a while

Spurs had Def Rating of 102.4 (3rd in NBA) and pop pts/gm 97.6 (6th in NBA).

Duncan led the Spurs in minutes and PER in both the regular season and the playoffs.

L.A. Jazz
07-07-2014, 01:24 AM
it's the average fan, who think every player who isnt scoring 20 a game is a bust and not worth talking about.

Upgrayedd
07-07-2014, 01:26 AM
This is beyond stupid. Duncan = GOAT PF.

Asukal
07-07-2014, 01:27 AM
2 idiots chatting. :oldlol:

kennethgriffin
07-07-2014, 02:16 AM
This is beyond stupid. Duncan = GOAT PF.

if kobes best competition at shooting guard was a guy like malone or barkley. he woulda been da goat by the time he hit legal drinking age since his first title came at age 21 and those other 2 guys are the biggest losers in nba history in accordance to talent and opportunity

so what

and hes more of a center btw

TheMilkyBarKid
07-07-2014, 02:47 AM
you and 'your' friend are full of failure, keep your boring conversations off here

Horatio33
07-07-2014, 04:31 AM
Little Kenny Griffen is shook. Kobe's career is over Duncan still going strong.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-07-2014, 04:36 AM
This is a retarded thread and Duncan > Kobe all-time, but Duncan is not the most impactful defensive player on his team. Duncan may anchor the defense from the paint, but Kawhi is the most dangerous defender on that team, the Spurs defense only goes as far as Kawhi goes.

Spurs were 1.4 points worse with TD on the floor in the regular season. The opposition also had a marginally better eFG% him on the floor (.485 vs .478) and had a 1.3% lower TOV rate. In the playoffs they were dead even defensively between him being on and off the floor. This time the opposition shot slightly better with him off the court (.500 vs .488), but still had a higher TOV rate with him off the court at 1.7% higher.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01/on-off/2014/

The Spurs were 5.4 points better defensively with Kawhi in the regular season. Their opposition also shot worse (.473 vs .490) when Kawhi was on the floor, and turned the ball over a bit more (0.6%). In the playoffs with Kawhi on the floor, the Spurs defense was 4.2 points better, the opposition shot worse (.486 vs .503), and they turned the ball over at 2.4% higher rate.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leonaka01/on-off/2014/

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/teams/SAS.html

rapm has Duncan clearly the most impactful...matches the eye test

BoutPractice
07-07-2014, 04:37 AM
...You guys are seriously going for the "cultural impact" argument now :lol

What makes it so funny is that a few months ago it was all "5>4!"
Kobe stans were ready to bet everything on that one extra championship as the mark of true greatness.

KNOW1EDGE
07-07-2014, 04:40 AM
Dumb and Dumber

This.

They are both idiots.

Anaximandro1
07-07-2014, 04:45 AM
:lol

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IcMqyLqyS0s/U6AIP7b3P0I/AAAAAAAAC_4/ndaUbuJvp2E/s1600/2.jpg

iBandwagon
07-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Is the point of this thread that a casual fan is smarter than the OP who has over 6000 posts on a basketball forum? :confusedshrug:

ArbitraryWater
07-07-2014, 09:36 AM
2 retards going at it... lol at him talking like you. comedic gold

GimmeThat
07-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Patty Mills and Leonard are both really young still.

plus I heard they drafted another guy.
like... every year.

ralph_i_el
07-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Did you even watch the finals? Duncan's talents are ageless. He's always standing in the right place, he has amazing hands, starts the break with beautiful outlet passes, finishes in a ton of different ways around the rim. Yeah he doesn't shoulder as much of the scoring load anymore. He's older than Kobe and is a big man with a ton of mileage. If you haven't noticed, Kobe hasn't lead his team to SHIT recently.

Could Kobe age into a difference making team/role player? Signs point to no.