PDA

View Full Version : Bigger, faster, stronger, better.

ZenMaster
07-07-2014, 08:13 PM
David Epstein giving a good presentation on athletes improving through different types of enhancements. Also talks about team sports, specifically the NBA and the huge effects of having a lot more available players to the league.

Some bullet points:

-In 1983 the first CBA with shared revenues was signed, shortly thereafter the proportion of players being 7 feet tall in the NBA doubled from 5 to 10 percent.

-17% of all 7 footers in America are currently playing in the NBA.

-Average NBA player is just under 6'7 with a 7 feet wide wingspan

Also touches base on the one tribe of Kenyan runners that wins all distance running and other interesting stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/BxMdCIu.jpg

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_b etter_stronger?utm_content=awesm-publisher&utm_medium=on.ted.com-facebook-share&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=&awesm=on.ted.com_txRq#t-567604

STATUTORY
07-07-2014, 08:14 PM
i thought jlauber told us the game hasn't changed in over 5 decades doe?

Cocaine80s
07-07-2014, 08:14 PM
I feel sory for the 83% of 7 footers who gotta work at walmart n shit

inclinerator
07-07-2014, 08:18 PM
is that antonio davis??

tmacattack33
07-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Damn, 17% of all seven footers are in the league.

This makes you appreciate Isiah Thomas and John Stockton even more. They competed with millions.

Meanwhile, Shaq and Ewing were competing with 200 people.

Done_And_Done
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
is that antonio davis??

The unibrow

Inactive
07-07-2014, 08:21 PM
I feel sory for the 83% of 7 footers who gotta go to Europe or Asia to play professionallyFixed.

CavaliersFTW
07-07-2014, 08:21 PM
all the data they got about player height is flawed they based it all on listed info, listed info is all bogus in the NBA... 17% of all "7 footers" in america are most certainly NOT in the NBA, most "7 footers" in america have serious health issues let alone are athletic enough to play in the NBA, there are actually very few true 7 footers in the NBA and that has always been true

ZenMaster
07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
all the data they got about player height is flawed they based it all on listed info, listed info is all bogus in the NBA... 17% of all "7 footers" in america are most certainly NOT in the NBA, most "7 footers" in america have serious health issues let alone are athletic enough to play in the NBA, there are actually very few true 7 footers in the NBA and that has always been true

Interesting, which players today you think are not 7 foot but listed as such?

CavaliersFTW
07-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Go to draftexpress.com/measurements and you'll get a pretty good idea how few actual clinically 7 foot tall or taller people are playing in the nba. Remember, doctors trying to create census data on actual 7 foot people don't give a shit how thick your shoes are or what your height is in shoes. The author of that article took the census data for 7 foot tall people and compared it with nba list info, not actual nba measurement data which is not as publicized or well known (most fans are blissfully unaware that list info isn't accurate)

eliteballer
07-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Really good point about how Jesse Owens was running on a different surface than Usain Bolt...ie technology.

Look at the shoes now vs 30 years ago.

eliteballer
07-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Well look at Blake Griffin and Love, both are 6-8 barefoot and listed at 6-10 because the NBA lists height in shoes(basketball shoes no less) and then rounds up, usually.

outbreak
07-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Well look at Blake Griffin and Love, both are 6-8 barefoot and listed at 6-10 because the NBA lists height in shoes(basketball shoes no less) and then rounds up, usually.
wasn't Dwight a shade under 6"10 yet he's listed at over 6"11
Not on the 7 footer topic but patty mills isn't anywhere near 6 foot tall.

jstern
07-07-2014, 09:02 PM
I have to go out right now to shoot around so can't read, but something that I always think about is the 2008 Olympics, where all the swimming records were expected to be broken because of the swimming suits that they were having. So those it take that into account? Also Michael Phelps, one thing that ruins him was how they announced that his body, proportions is the perfection for swimming, which I feel gave him an in a sense unfair advantage over his competitors. Because he's winning, but it's not due through an insane will and drive.

ZenMaster
07-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Go to draftexpress.com/measurements and you'll get a pretty good idea how few actual clinically 7 foot tall or taller people are playing in the nba. Remember, doctors trying to create census data on actual 7 foot people don't give a shit how thick your shoes are or what your height is in shoes. The author of that article took the census data for 7 foot tall people and compared it with nba list info, not actual nba measurement data which is not as publicized or well known (most fans are blissfully unaware that list info isn't accurate)

Still, skimming that list I could only come up with two players who fits the bill and it was Tyson Chandler and Spencer Hawes. Even so they're still rookie measurements, I wonder at what age most of the worlds 7 footers actually grow into the 7th foot.

eliteballer
07-07-2014, 09:09 PM
wasn't Dwight a shade under 6"10 yet he's listed at over 6"11
Not on the 7 footer topic but patty mills isn't anywhere near 6 foot tall.

Guys drafted out of high school can and often do grow later on so their heights might be closer to what's listed.

jstern
07-07-2014, 10:55 PM
That was a very good video. It dealt with the reality of circumstances vs simply coming to a superficial conclusion which most people tend to do. The most shocking part was Jesse Owens' performance had he raced on a modern track. Just because I'm not used to thinking of an athlete from the 1930s being so elite. And it really sucks that based on his time, people won't correctly judge him.

oarabbus
07-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Sure, you might be right - because the census is for general demographics. So perhaps people 6'10.5" and taller make the list. So some of the supposed '7 footers' aren't truly that tall, and instead of 17%, the number is 16.33% (remember that one million Americans only comprise roughly .33% of our country and there probably aren't even a million people 6'10.5" and taller in the country to even begin with). Basically, his point remains accurate.

Marchesk
07-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Also Michael Phelps, one thing that ruins him was how they announced that his body, proportions is the perfection for swimming, which I feel gave him an in a sense unfair advantage over his competitors. Because he's winning, but it's not due through an insane will and drive.

No more than Shaq or Wilt had unfair advantages. You still have to have great will and drive to make be that successful. It's not like Phelps didn't train real hard to be the best. Anyone at that level does.

eliteballer
07-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I have to go out right now to shoot around so can't read, but something that I always think about is the 2008 Olympics, where all the swimming records were expected to be broken because of the swimming suits that they were having. So those it take that into account? Also Michael Phelps, one thing that ruins him was how they announced that his body, proportions is the perfection for swimming, which I feel gave him an in a sense unfair advantage over his competitors. Because he's winning, but it's not due through an insane will and drive.

Same thing applies to your boy MJ:rolleyes:

jstern
07-08-2014, 12:35 AM
No more than Shaq or Wilt had unfair advantages. You still have to have great will and drive to make be that successful. It's not like Phelps didn't train real hard to be the best. Anyone at that level does.

Well, yeah, to be at that level, Olympic level, NBA level, you have to have that will. The point is that if you have two strong willed swimmers, which Phelps is, and another strong willed swimmer, that physical advantage goes a long way.

As far as Shaq and other NBA players. I find that situation different, because basketball is not about repetitive execution where it's all about being the most fit athlete and pushing the hardest, like in swimming for the most part, but basketball is also about more complicated skill set, with spontaneous situations, strategies that a Shaq must go ahead, etc, etc. Talents and ability depends more on basketball IQ than just being the biggest, fastest, strongest.