PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One Who Isn't Taking Any of the Houston Talk Seriously?

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
How is Houston attractive at all? I don't see why people are even giving any of these rumours the time of day. Houston is just like Chicago. It's not an attractive situation.

There's always rumours about Chicago, but nobody ever goes there. It's just not a place that players want to go.

We pretend that Chicago is some major destination like "Ooooh, will Melo go there" but we all know he won't. It's a mirage. Houston isn't any different. We're all pretending it's a legit contender right now, but it isn't. We know Bosh, LeBron or Melo won't go there, but we pretend like it's a legit possibility.

What's so great about Houston that major free agents would want to go there? Harden? Pfff. Please.

I just don't see.

Jameerthefear
07-07-2014, 10:09 PM
u do realize that dwight howard just signed with houston last season right? r u retarded?

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 10:13 PM
u do realize that dwight howard just signed with houston last season right? r u retarded?
I knew I should have worded my Chicago comparison better. I meant to say that like Chicago, Houston is not remotely attractive. The "nobody goes there" was an example of how Chicago isn't attractive.

I knew it would't come across clearly and wouldn't be understood the way I wrote it, but I couldn't think of a way to phrase it better. I'll see if I can edit it to be more clear.

Roundball_Rock
07-07-2014, 10:20 PM
An elite player who is the best at his position in Howard, another top 15 player in Harden, an organization that has fielded competitive teams for the past three decades, and no state income tax. Howard and Harden are young enough that Houston will remain a contender for several years. Dallas' window is short due to Dirk's age. Chicago has less top-level talent than Houston, although it comes with the benefits of playing in the East and in one of the "big 3" markets. I can see why Houston would be attractive to a free agent--particularly Bosh since he is from Texas.

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 10:22 PM
An elite player who is the best at his position in Howard, another top 15 player in Harden, an organization that has fielded competitive teams for the past three decades, and no state income tax. Howard and Harden are young enough that Houston will remain a contender for several years. Dallas' window is short due to Dirk's age. Chicago has less top-level talent than Houston, although it comes with the benefits of playing in the East and in one of the "big 3" markets. I can see why Houston would be attractive to a free agent--particularly Bosh since he is from Texas.
Keep it real. Do you think Houston is going to get any of the major free agents? Come on, you know they won't.

moe94
07-07-2014, 10:22 PM
I knew I should have worded my Chicago comparison better. I meant to say that like Chicago, Houston is not remotely attractive. The "nobody goes there" was an example of how Chicago isn't attractive.

I knew it would't come across clearly and wouldn't be understood the way I wrote it, but I couldn't think of a way to phrase it better. I'll see if I can edit it to be more clear.

But you're basing this on absolutely nothing. They recently got Harden and Howard. Who's to say they can't acquire more star players?

STATUTORY
07-07-2014, 10:24 PM
only irrelevant players sign with Houston

Lebronxrings
07-07-2014, 10:39 PM
houston can get the trash and overpay them.
e.g: dwight, haren, bosh.

IncarceratedBob
07-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Houston is a shit hole of a city, I was lucky to get outta there and am now in beautiful SoCal but the team is attractive because of Dwigt and Haren. Just because you Olay in a city doesn't mean you have to live there, just put up with it during the season.

zoom17
07-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Bosh is from Texas, rockets are offering the max why wouldn't he want to go there.

GrapeApe
07-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Bosh is from Texas, rockets are offering the max why wouldn't he want to go there.

For starters because he's not from Houston, loves Miami, and wants to win more championships.

jrong
07-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't know why LeBron doesn't go there. Houston and Chicago are the two teams on which I see him winning titles next year, and Houston would have the player better combo (Chicago has the better coach and team defense). I don't see him winning anywhere else, including Miami.

But, LeBron + Howard should get you a ring. Harden is just extra icing.

ThePhantomCreep
07-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Because he's obviously familiar with Texas.

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 11:13 PM
But you're basing this on absolutely nothing. They recently got Harden and Howard. Who's to say they can't acquire more star players?
Because they have Harden and Howard. I don't see any of the free agents wanting to play on a team with them.

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Houses are cheap, weather is warm, metro Houston has 7 million people, its in a central location with two international airports, and they have the best strip joints in the country.

And the owner is boss. What's not to like?

The only down side is playing in the WC.

STATUTORY
07-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Houses are cheap, weather is warm, metro Houston has 7 million people, its in a central location with two international airports, and they have the best strip joints in the country.

And the owner is boss. What's not to like?

The only down side is playing in the WC.
yea i wonder why?

Jameerthefear
07-07-2014, 11:22 PM
yea i wonder why?
because there's a shitload of land

InYaoWeTrust
07-07-2014, 11:24 PM
yea i wonder why?

Please enlighten us?

oarabbus
Because they have Harden and Howard. I don't see any of the free agents wanting to play on a team with them.

This is the real problem right here. Well Carmelo would be smart to play with Dwight, basically a massive Chandler upgrade, but playing with Harden sounds awful.

STATUTORY
shitload of land in cali too, none of it is cheap. no one wants to live in houston except for first generation immigrants

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 11:25 PM
There usually is in places without high demand to build things.

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:25 PM
yea i wonder why?
Because land is plentiful.

Magic731
07-07-2014, 11:26 PM
NBA players do not have the same mindset as an ish poster. These two guys would not get nearly as much hate within the NBA as they do on here.

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:27 PM
There usually is in places without high demand to build things.

http://www.realestate.com/advice/3-cities-where-new-home-construction-is-booming-52663/

1. Houston, Baytown, Sugar Land

“Houston, Sugar Land, Baytown” is a designated metro area located in southeast Texas. The area tops the list of cities for the sheer volume of new homes going up. The city of Houston, in fact, had more new housing starts last year than the entire state of California, according to CultureMap Houston’s Ralph Bivens.

This is happening despite a shortage of quality lots in the city and the need for construction labor. In fact, Bivens says that if all goes well, builders could be adding 50,000 new homes to the Houston market this year.

Not only are there plenty of new homes, but look for many of them to be situated in new master-planned communities. Pomona is one of those communities, created by Ross Perot, Jr. and located in Manvel, about 25 minutes southeast of Houston.

Right now, new homes in the Houston metro area are priced from $106,000 to more than $1 million.

If you’re looking for a job in energy, healthcare or construction and want a brand new house to go along with it, head to Houston, Texas.

I'll reiterate that passage:

The area tops the list of cities for the sheer volume of new homes going up. The city of Houston, in fact, had more new housing starts last year than the entire state of California, according to CultureMap Houston’s Ralph Bivens.

You should try reading the news instead of Facebook/Twitter, you may learn something new.

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 11:29 PM
NBA players do not have the same mindset as an ish poster. These two guys would not get nearly as much hate within the NBA as they do on here.
You think any of the big free agents are thinking to themselves "Oh, fcuk playing with LeBron in Miami Florida. I wanna play with James Harden in Houston Texas. Yeah, that's the ticket".

:rolleyes:

rezznor
07-07-2014, 11:29 PM
shitload of land in cali too, none of it is cheap. no one wants to live in houston except for first generation immigrants
you do realize the majority of people fleeing from cali are moving to texas, houston being one of the major destinations?

Kingwillball
07-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I think Bosh on Houston if they keep their Core would be a great Fit.. Beverly,Harden,Parsens,Bosh,D12 is maybe best starting lineup in the league definitely top 3. Also I think Miami can become Deeper and better balanced if Bosh leaves cause it would open Money up to sign Gasol and either a PG Like Thomas or Bledsoe or a SF like Ariza or Deng. Adding 2 of those 4 would make the Heat a better team especially with the 2 additions already in Mcbob and Granger(if Healthy)

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I'll reiterate that passage:

The area tops the list of cities for the sheer volume of new homes going up. The city of Houston, in fact, had more new housing starts last year than the entire state of California, according to CultureMap Houston’s Ralph Bivens.

You should try reading the news instead of Facebook/Twitter, you may learn something new.
Yeah, California isn't building new shit. It's already full. Downtown Manhattan isn't building a bunch of new houses either.

btw. I don't have a facebook account. I've never gone on facebook.

STATUTORY
07-07-2014, 11:32 PM
you do realize the majority of people fleeing from cali are moving to texas, houston being one of the major destinations?
yea people that got priced out of cali

lot of indian and asian engineers type. I'm no stranger to houston, i know what the suburbs there are like. it's absolutely dreadful.

all urban sprawl without a semblance of culture or deliberate planning.

eliteballer
07-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Haven't been to Houston but Dallas is a sick, sick city. I wouldn't mind living there.

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Yeah, California isn't building new shit. It's already full. Downtown Manhattan isn't building a bunch of new houses either.

Even though you chose to ignore the fact you are wrong, and that demand IS high for new buildings...

California isn't building shit because its been run by Liberals and now everyone is fleeing the state due to one of the nation's highest tax rates and an influx of illegal immigrants. In fact, they're all going to Texas.

Since 2005, far more Californians have turned Texan than the other way around: 183 Californians moved to Texas for every 100 Texans moving to California.

Go on.....

NumberSix
07-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Even though you chose to ignore the fact you are wrong, and that demand IS high for new buildings...

California isn't building shit because its been run by Liberals and now everyone is fleeing the state due to one of the nation's highest tax rates and an influx of illegal immigrants. In fact, they're all going to Texas.

Go on.....
The richer areas of California (outside of LA) are generally pretty conservative.

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Haven't been to Houston but Dallas is a sick, sick city. I wouldn't mind living there.
I was in Dallas for the NCAA FF, it was a pretty nice place to visit.

Only those who have never been to Houston knock it. I didn't want to move there either, but once I did you realize its a pretty nice place to live in your 20's.

The only thing I dont miss about it is the summer weather, which I can finally enjoy now living in Indy.

Magic731
07-07-2014, 11:43 PM
You think any of the big free agents are thinking to themselves "Oh, fcuk playing with LeBron in Miami Florida. I wanna play with James Harden in Houston Texas. Yeah, that's the ticket".

:rolleyes:
It's not that they would rather play with Harden than Lebron, it's that no one is NOT going to go to Houston because Harden is there. Houston are right on the verge of being contenders assuming they aren't already, the fact that it's James Harden leading them there and not someone else I don't think will bother a potential free agent.

Milbuck
07-07-2014, 11:43 PM
- The houses are piles of shit
- It's not warm, it's a ****ing fire pit
- 3.5 million people of which are openly racist
- More airports for more people to get the **** out of there
- Because there's nothing else to do

STATUTORY
07-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Austin is the only livable city in all of texas

Heavincent
07-07-2014, 11:47 PM

I've gotta ask, did you have these feelings about Houston before Haren played there?

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:47 PM
The richer areas of California (outside of LA) are generally pretty conservative.

I'm sure they are. Anywhere outside the cities are pretty conservative, but Conservatives aren't making the rules there, Democrats are. When their policies lead to collapse (see:Detroit) nobody wants to be around for that. The state has almost a trillion (with a t) dollars worth of unfunded liabilities to deal with, and with businesses and taxpayers moving out, they're going to have a hell of a time paying that off.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Cali when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, but the state is teetering on the brink of economic collapse. You think it can't happen, but nobody ever thought a city the size of Bakersfield would declare bankruptcy, and they aren't the only ones who are going to take the plunge.

/end political rant

Heavincent
07-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Houses are cheap

Houses are cheap in Detroit too.

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:51 PM

Evidence? Or are you just saying that? The average house sold in Houston this past week was $418,000. I have evidence that they are not.

During the summer it is, winter is nice nice nice (hint: that's when the NBA plays their season)

So all white people are racist? Because nearly half the city is minorities, mostly Hispanic.

Good one.

You can go check out Harden's house. Maybe he'll invite you in so you can bask in his success.

STATUTORY
07-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Evidence? Or are you just saying that? The average house sold in Houston this past week was $418,000. I have evidence that they are not.

During the summer it is, winter is nice nice nice (hint: that's when the NBA plays their season)

So all white people are racist? Because nearly half the city is minorities, mostly Hispanic.

Good one.

You can go check out Harden's house. Maybe he'll invite you in so you can bask in his success.

money don't buy class, all that clown know how to do is make it rain in strip clubs. if that's your idea of entertainment then I see why Houston is a great fit. prole american city

UK2K
07-07-2014, 11:57 PM
money don't buy class, all that clown know how to do is make it rain in strip clubs. if that's your idea of entertainment then I see why Houston is a great fit. prole american city
No it can't.

But if I was a 24 year old famous mega millionaire, I can't promise I would be sitting at home reading the Bible playing Scrabble.

Droid101
07-07-2014, 11:59 PM
but the state is teetering on the brink of economic collapse.
No it's not. Despite what Fox News has told you, it's closer to running surpluses than ever due to Democratic policies, and the infrastructure is thriving.

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

Please, bring up Detroit. Then we'll bring up Boston, New York, Seattle, and Denver in response you shill clown. Then we'll point to the poorest states in the union (hint, all red ones).

Inferno
07-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Beverly - Lin? - Draft Pick
Haren - Daniels
Parsons - Cassipi
Bosh - Jones
Dwight -?

Is a dangerous team if used properly. Warriors can take em though :applause:

Curry - Livingston
Klay - ?
Iggy - Barnes
Lee - Green
Bogut - Ezeli

That depth :bowdown: That blend of offense and defense :bowdown:

Jameerthefear
07-08-2014, 12:04 AM
liberals and conservatives are both annoying

InYaoWeTrust
07-08-2014, 12:04 AM

Good one.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to explain to him the economic vibrance of Houston. When I saw the land is cheap quote, I wanted to write a small thesis proving how off base this comment is, but then I realized the average IQ of the posters on this board.

UK2K
07-08-2014, 12:11 AM
No it's not. Despite what Fox News has told you, it's closer to running surpluses than ever due to Democratic policies, and the infrastructure is thriving.

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

Please, bring up Detroit. Then we'll bring up Boston, New York, Seattle, and Denver in response you shill clown. Then we'll point to the poorest states in the union (hint, all red ones).

A surplus? What whaaaat.

California's unfunded teacher's union liability grows by $22 million dollars per day. They OWE 212 times more unfunded liabilities than their budget surplus amounts to. Not going to get into some political debate (I talk on enough political forums without bringing it here) but to think California is in any sort of economic balance, is ignorant.

Yeah some beacon of hope.

OnFire
07-08-2014, 12:12 AM

The only cheap land in texas is the ones the developers scammed away all the mineral rights away from.

NumberSix
07-08-2014, 12:46 AM
liberals and conservatives are both annoying
Conservatives just want to keep what we have and used to have. Leftist a just want to destroy everything. They'd prefer we were all homeless as long as it made us all "equal".

YouGotServed
07-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Meh. I guess that f*ggot Bosh is a decent 3rd option.

gts
07-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Meh. I guess that f*ggot Bosh is a decent 3rd option.
That's the spirit!!!

tontoz
07-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Keep it real. Do you think Houston is going to get any of the major free agents? Come on, you know they won't.

They just got Howard last summer. Was he not a major free agent?

:facepalm

KungFuJoe
07-08-2014, 07:35 AM
I've been to Houston.

It's a shithole.

G.O.A.T.
07-08-2014, 07:35 AM
How is Houston attractive at all? I don't see why people are even giving any of these rumours the time of day. Houston is just like Chicago. It's not an attractive situation.

There's always rumours about Chicago, but nobody ever goes there. It's just not a place that players want to go.

We pretend that Chicago is some major destination like "Ooooh, will Melo go there" but we all know he won't. It's a mirage. Houston isn't any different. We're all pretending it's a legit contender right now, but it isn't. We know Bosh, LeBron or Melo won't go there, but we pretend like it's a legit possibility.

What's so great about Houston that major free agents would want to go there? Harden? Pfff. Please.

I just don't see.

you're an idiot

Trentknicks
07-08-2014, 07:36 AM
only irrelevant players sign with Houston
Yeah Dwight's so irrelevant that 90% of Laker fans haven't shut up about him and can't get over the fact he dumped them :oldlol:

Trentknicks
07-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Conservatives just want to keep what we have and used to have. Leftist a just want to destroy everything. They'd prefer we were all homeless as long as it made us all "equal".
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

You have serious mental issues.

MiseryCityTexas
07-08-2014, 07:51 AM
For starters because he's not from Houston, loves Miami, and wants to win more championships.

He grew up loving the Rockets and hated the Mavericks growing up in Dallas. lmao.

BoutPractice
07-08-2014, 08:33 AM
If I had to bet on any team getting a star FA this offseason it would be Houston... It's been the plan all along, and they have the means to execute it.

Derka
07-08-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't believe anything until I see it.

On a business level...Bosh is full-blown nuts not to give Houston's offer some serious consideration unless Riley has lined up something amazing enough to justify the massive paycut he wants Bosh to take.

On a personal level...maybe he's really tight with Wade and Bron and really wants to keep the Miami thing going however they can.

GimmeThat
07-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Probably.

Bosh "might" have a say there as to personnel movement. Where as compared to the Heat, I'm not certain as to how satified he's been with the help.

STATUTORY
07-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Yeah Dwight's so irrelevant that 90% of Laker fans haven't shut up about him and can't get over the fact he dumped them :oldlol:

:roll: :roll: no post game dwight? lakers fans talk about him because he was an absolute embarassment on our squad, not cause we want him back. I been hating on dwight since 2008

miles berg
07-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Not really just because of the Heats signings yesterday. They signed McBob to the MLE and Granger to the BAE which signals to me that Riley has deals in place to bring LeBron, Bosh, & Wade back at exuberant amounts. McBob & Granger in, Battier & Shard out.

NumberSix
07-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Not really just because of the Heats signings yesterday. They signed McBob to the MLE and Granger to the BAE which signals to me that Riley has deals in place to bring LeBron, Bosh, & Wade back at exuberant amounts. McBob & Granger in, Battier & Shard out.
Or, he's bringing in LeBron, Bosh, Wade and Melo.

ArbitraryWater
07-10-2014, 10:13 AM
OP doesn't even make any fuggin sense here... Horribly presented arguments.

Later he shifts them to "Yea because they have Harden/Howard I don't believe they will sign anyone anymore" ........................... Ah, okay.