PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McGary - huge steal

D-FENS
07-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Toronto could have drafted this kid. He's super talented.

Jordan Adams looks like a baller, too. GMs gotta do a better job

russwest0
07-08-2014, 02:26 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQTf7jRfXh4

I don't even know who to compare him to. He's such a unique player.

roffie
07-08-2014, 02:28 PM
he looks alot better than adams

so mobile too

Done_And_Done
07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
He looks really polished for a guy his age. How does he function under the rim, rebounding wise? His pace for a big is pretty damn impressive as well.

That no look though...

D-FENS
07-08-2014, 02:31 PM
I thought he was a stiff in workouts, so robotic. Turns out he is sneaky athletic. I don't know who he reminds me of, but he has Chris Webber ball skills. Maybe a white poor man's CWebb...

wally_world
07-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Josh McRoberts? Maybe a little less athletic but more adept in the post. Or a poor man's Kevin Love.

edit - Brad Miller!

Johnny Jones
07-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Reminds me of Marc Gasol. A lesser overall player, but more mobile than Marc.

IncarceratedBob
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Kinda reminds me of a pre NBA Sabonis but more polished

russwest0
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
That no look though...

All done with his off hand nonetheless :lol :lol

Fudge
07-08-2014, 02:53 PM
If OKC hadn't drafted him, I would bet that he would've fell to the 2nd round. OKC FO just has an eye for talent/upside when drafting players.

Legends66NBA7
07-08-2014, 02:58 PM
If OKC hadn't drafted him, I would bet that he would've fell to the 2nd round. OKC FO just has an eye for talent/upside when drafting players.

Strange, considering that one of his weakness is apparently "limited upside".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOIqVeNmbU#t=634

boozehound
07-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Yeah, hes a pimp. I was surprised so many teams were risk averse with him.

russwest0
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
There were teams trying to trade up to pick #22 to get him despite having not been able to work him out or anything.

OKC was in the perfect position to draft him, and it's all because of the Harden trade.

Presti :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Fudge
07-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Strange, considering that one of his weakness is apparently "limited upside".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOIqVeNmbU#t=634
DraftExpress sucks.

D-FENS
07-08-2014, 03:06 PM
DraftExpress sucks.

pfft

i hate the you're all comparing him to honkies.

dontgetchoked
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
i thought he was really the best player on Michigan by watching him a few times (dont regularly watch college basketball) i thought he was on his way to being a top ten pick before he got injured wasnt he? i could be wrong

JimmyMcAdocious
07-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Reminds me of 6-10, white, Michael Jordan. Better handles. tho.

Or some white post player because he's white and he's white.

wally_world
07-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I think the limited upside is true tho. He's not an athlete, and is already very polished, don't see him being much better than he already is. Doesn't make it a bad pick tho, esp since OKC is in win now mode.

Lebronxrings
07-08-2014, 03:58 PM
okc landing another star player.
Westbrook, gayd, ibaka, reggie jackson, jeremy lamb, kendrick perkins, steven adams, nick collison and now Mcgary? STACKED

dannywpt
07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Reminds me of David Lee, the young one on the Knicks

russwest0
07-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Yeah thats a pretty good comparison. Both guys are naturally left handed but ambidextrous, mobile, good rebounders, decent shooters, and crafty around the rim.

KevinDurant35
07-08-2014, 05:27 PM
There it is :applause:

HurricaneKid
07-08-2014, 05:27 PM
One good game against summer league fodder and people think whatnow?

I'll just wait to see if he can do it in the NBA.

Yeesh.

G.O.A.T
07-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I've watched a lot of McGary and I see a bust.

Low skill level, plays hard, but gets frustrated when he can't out athletic you. Disappears for stretches on both ends. I heard no one wanted him in the first round and he only came out because he had a promise from OKC.

Also he's like 35 years old or something.

KempSonics
07-08-2014, 06:17 PM
McGary was a steal. I would have taken him top 15 no doubt.

KG215
07-08-2014, 07:13 PM
I've watched a lot of McGary and I see a bust.

Low skill level, plays hard, but gets frustrated when he can't out athletic you. Disappears for stretches on both ends. I heard no one wanted him in the first round and he only came out because he had a promise from OKC.

Also he's like 35 years old or something.
Not sure a player can really be a bust if he goes in the 20s and had some health concerns about him coming into the draft. You get a good solid role player in the 20s of any draft, and you're doing pretty good. He's likely an already "close to finished product" player in terms of skill and talent (ceiling) but he's already a pretty refined, skilled player.

And promise from OKC or not, there was some murmurings about another team or two wanting him and planning on taking him in the first round (after OKC's pick at 21) if McGary was still on the board.

ILLsmak
07-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Not sure a player can really be a bust if he goes in the 20s and had some health concerns about him coming into the draft. You get a good solid role player in the 20s of any draft, and you're doing pretty good. He's likely an already "close to finished product" player in terms of skill and talent (ceiling) but he's already a pretty refined, skilled player.

And promise from OKC or not, there was some murmurings about another team or two wanting him and planning on taking him in the first round (after OKC's pick at 21) if McGary was still on the board.

I dunno why it matters. He isn't finished in that he needs to get comfortable and find his role. What evolution does he need? Get stronger, get better at finishing, rebounding, being physical on d... if he can hit a j, catch and finish and rebound and put the ball back in the basket, he's not a bust. The only way he busts is if he breaks into pieces as soon as he steps on the floor.

-Smak

G.O.A.T
07-08-2014, 09:08 PM

I think there are 10-12 players picked after him that would be more helpful for Oklahoma City. But obviously nobody knows for certain with rookies.

I don't see McGary as a skilled player. He doesn't have a jump shot, he's an awful foul shooter, he has no back to the basket moves, he can't dribble. He's an above average athlete who competes and play very hard, I could see him as an seventh/eighth man with some development but in a draft like this, that isn't the pick I would have made. Time will tell.

Cowboy Thunder
07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
McGOATy ftw

senelcoolidge
07-08-2014, 09:44 PM
I can see McGary having a short career. Not necessarily because he sucks.

KG215
07-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I think there are 10-12 players picked after him that would be more helpful for Oklahoma City. But obviously nobody knows for certain with rookies.

I don't see McGary as a skilled player. He doesn't have a jump shot, he's an awful foul shooter, he has no back to the basket moves, he can't dribble. He's an above average athlete who competes and play very hard, I could see him as an seventh/eighth man with some development but in a draft like this, that isn't the pick I would have made. Time will tell.
If yesterday's summer league game is any indication, then he can do the things in bold. I know his jump shot was supposed to need work, and probably still does, but it does appear that he's developed the early stages of a reliable jumper. He's a solid ball handler for a big and an already very solid passer. I can think of a few players picked after McGary that would've helped more right away but not 10-12. And, given OKC's current state and the fact that Nick Collison is on his way out, they may have found their Nick Collison replacement which is the 7th-8th man on this team.

Regardless, none of what you said would allude to him being a bust. Just because you perceive a team as taking the wrong player doesn't mean that player has high bust potential.

stalkerforlife
07-08-2014, 11:04 PM
I remember watching him and Burke lead Michigan to the NCAA finals two years ago. Great hands, soft touch around the basket, above average athletic ability. Certainly not afraid of any moment, considering how big he played as a freshman on the biggest stage.

If healthy, dude could be a big contributor.

Cowboy Thunder
07-08-2014, 11:04 PM
http://media.mlive.com/ann-arbor_photos/photo/12595847-standard.jpg

veilside23
07-08-2014, 11:08 PM
mcgary supposed to be a lottery pick if he decided to leave with burke...

well shows how good this draft class could be..

KG215
07-09-2014, 12:34 AM
mcgary supposed to be a lottery pick if he decided to leave with burke...

well shows how good this draft class could be..
Might've still been a lottery pick this year if he hadn't gotten hurt 8 games into the season and the whole marijuana thing hadn't happened. It would've been at the back end of the lottery, but still. He would've likely got top 10 last year.

stolper
07-09-2014, 12:49 AM
He reminds me of Mehmet Okur.

Swaggin916
07-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Doubt he gets the green light on those pull up j's... but those are nice he has that quick move where the defender can't harder even react to it before it's floating towards the rim.

East_Stone_Ya
07-09-2014, 01:52 AM
One good game against summer league fodder and people think whatnow?

I'll just wait to see if he can do it in the NBA.

Yeesh.

this