PDA

View Full Version : Can Lamarcus Aldridge become the best Blazer ever?

navy
07-09-2014, 12:30 AM
From Twitter

LaMarcus Aldridge said he wants to finish his career in Portland. One reason why: "I want to be the best Blazer. Ever."

stalkerforlife
07-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Walton.

Johnny Jones
07-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Never.

sammichoffate
07-09-2014, 12:34 AM
Clyde imo

inclinerator
07-09-2014, 12:41 AM
you know I want to be you know the best Blazer. you know ever."

Duggrr
07-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Walton's peak is top 10 all time + Drexler is a top 30 player all time. Aldridge would have to win a ring and be the FMVP to be considered.

stalkerforlife
07-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Do what Walton did in a season...

Lead the NBA in rebounds.

Lead the NBA in blocks.

Win the title.

L.Kizzle
Has to bring them a title like Walton or have them contend for a title for many years like Drexler.

fpliii
He'll never be the "best" Blazer ever (Walton is). Greatest though, could be. Wasn't a huge fan at first, but I've watched more and like his game the past couple of seasons.

unbreakable
07-09-2014, 12:45 AM
LA can easily be the best blazer ever if he makes a couple finals and maybe wins 1 ....

nobody remembers walton and drexler never won a chip

BlazerRed
07-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Probably not, but who cares.. he doesn't need to be. All he needs to do is bring the trophy back to Portland :rockon:

JimmyMcAdocious
07-09-2014, 12:47 AM
He'll always be behind Sheed.

Duggrr
LA can easily be the best blazer ever if he makes a couple finals and maybe wins 1 ....

He was the FMVP in 77'. If he wasn't injured in 78' (his MVP season), they likely would have made a little dynasty and Walton would be a top 10 all time player.

moe94

:coleman:

BlazerRed
07-09-2014, 12:48 AM

Negged

fpliii
07-09-2014, 12:48 AM

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

unbreakable
07-09-2014, 12:49 AM
He was the FMVP in 77'. If he wasn't injured in 78' (his MVP season), they likely would have made a little dynasty and Walton would be a top 10 all time player.

thats a big IF... i love walton, one of my favorites ever but his longevity hurts his all-time status.. not hating just a fact..

everyone also remembers walton as a celtic more than a blazer.. i visit Oregon alot and when i wear my walton throwback jersey nobody knows who it is.. theyre like "is that the new rookie we signed?

Droid101
07-09-2014, 12:50 AM
Probably won't happen. Only one actual elite rebounding season out of 8 played so far. Maybe he can keep it up, but I don't know. Lillard will demand more touches based on his development and bigs get less touches when teams have dominant guards/wings in this NBA.

navy
07-09-2014, 12:51 AM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
He's a troll or an idiot. Ignore him.

I think LMA has an advantage of not playing and winning for another team. 2 rings and 5 more good years would put him at the top for me.

No way he becomes better than Walton as a player though. Probably not even Clyde....

Duggrr
07-09-2014, 12:53 AM
He's a troll or an idiot. Ignore him.

I think LMA has an advantage of not playing and winning for another team. 2 rings and 5 more good years would put him at the top for me.

No way he becomes better than Walton as a player though. Probably not even Clyde....
Yeah, he'll never be the same players as those guys, but even 1 ring would make him "a better Blazer" than Drexler. Although, Clyde did have to have extremely tough teams while they were pretty young. Sort of like today's Thunder

L.Kizzle
07-09-2014, 01:02 AM
LMA is 28. When Drexler was 28 he had just led Portland to the Finals.

qrich
07-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Bring in a young, prime, Arvydas, and he'd be the best Blazer ever.

Either way, LMA, at best, will be behind Clyde & Bill.

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 01:09 AM
I thought KAJ had a pretty good career.

miles berg
07-09-2014, 02:02 AM
Love LA, wish we he would come to Dallas someday, but he will never be as good as Bill Walton. Ever.

Threethrows
07-09-2014, 02:11 AM
thats a big IF... i love walton, one of my favorites ever but his longevity hurts his all-time status.. not hating just a fact..

everyone also remembers walton as a celtic more than a blazer.. i visit Oregon alot and when i wear my walton throwback jersey nobody knows who it is.. theyre like "is that the new rookie we signed?

Find just one Blazers fan over the age of 15 that doesn't know who Walton is. I'm guessing that's around your age, because you have no damn idea what you are talking about. I think you googled "best portland trailblazer ever" when you saw this thread. Then you made shit up when you saw the name Bill Walton to pretend to have knowledge of the man. Your crap about no one knowing who he is was simply you being insecure because YOU had no idea who he was.

Just close ISH and think about whether or not you really need to be discussing basketball ever again.

crisoner
07-09-2014, 02:55 AM
Do what Walton did in a season...

Lead the NBA in rebounds.

Lead the NBA in blocks.

Win the title.
This

RoundMoundOfReb
07-09-2014, 02:56 AM
He can get the "greatest blazer" title with longevity...

BasedTom
07-09-2014, 03:02 AM

http://www.imgnook.com/Z20Izo.gif

PickernRoller
07-09-2014, 03:33 AM
Can he become the best Lakers ever? We shall see.

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 03:56 AM
it's possible.

he's 28 right now, which means he's already past his physical peak is about to enter his maturity/physical peak. but looking at it, his next 4 years are probably just going to be a wash in terms of trying to be the best Blazer ever. 4 - 5 more years of 20/10 won't do anything to his legacy, unless he leads the team to a title posting 25/10 type stats.

but what happens after that is where he really gets to make his case. if he can maintain an efficient 18/8 player and even help his team win a ring, whether it's at the beginning of his second contract after this as a main 1st, or towards the end.

that's 16 years for one franchise, and an effective one at that.

the best basketball player ever generally involves being the best teammate as well. Even if Lillard blows up, he'd still got some room he needs to catch up with Aldridge.

Because Lillard would have to play another 6-7 years of not having Aldridge.

If you are who you are, well, for every damn year he puts on that uniform it makes him who he is.

Myth
07-09-2014, 04:13 AM
Right now there are 2 schools of thought regarding who the best Blazer is:

1. Walton because of peak play and championship.

2. Drexler because of longevity with good stats (with runs to the Finals).

Aldridge can easily have more longevity than both, but he needs to be closer to the chip to pass Drexler, and will need the chip to pass Walton in the minds of people who say Walton no matter what due to the only FMVP and MVP.

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Right now there are 2 schools of thought regarding who the best Blazer is:

1. Walton because of peak play and championship.

2. Drexler because of longevity with good stats (with runs to the Finals).

Aldridge can easily have more longevity than both, but he needs to be closer to the chip to pass Drexler, and will need the chip to pass Walton in the minds of people who say Walton no matter what due to the only FMVP and MVP.

my gut feeling tells me that the blazers may become so Aldridge-centric that they find a way to build around him successfully because of the sheer amount of years in trial/error in experience that he'll be able to win one.

my gut's got a lot of different things that come and go though

Breezy
07-09-2014, 07:45 AM
This is where the difference between "Best" and "greatest" is sharp.

The best Blazer is Walton as many have said. Aldridge is a better mid range shooter and better at literally nothing else. So to be better than Walton he's going to have to wildly increase his passing, rebounding, defending, outlet throwing and post play abilities. At 28 that seems very unlikely.

He could easily be the greatest Blazer if he just keeps his current pace.

Right now he is.

#3 in Points
#7 in Games played
#4 in Minutes played
#2 in Field Goals
#5 in Free Throws
#5 in Rebounds
#7 in Blocks
#5 in PER
#4 In Win Shares

If he plays out a Healthy career with the Blazers he Will finish #1 in all of those categories except Maybe free throws and definitely PER. That seems like "Greatest" Material to me.

raprap
07-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Blazers are intriguing. Do they need another star with Lilliard and Aldridge? Or it would be better if they would just improve their roster around those two guys? I feel like they need another great scorer in the wing.

Toizumi
07-09-2014, 08:24 AM
LA is great and he's putting up numbers, but in my opinion, he's not the leader of this team, Lillard is. Roy was the no. 1 guy on the Blazers untill he got injured and Lillard took over that leadership role in his rookie year.

LA may be considered the best player on the current Blazers and a big factor of the team's success, but he'd have to do a lot more to become the best Blazer ever over guys like Walton, Drexler, Lucas, Roy.. and as a fan of the 2000 blazers, I would even take Sheed over LA because of his defense.

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
No. Drexler.

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Blazers are intriguing. Do they need another star with Lilliard and Aldridge? Or it would be better if they would just improve their roster around those two guys? I feel like they need another great scorer in the wing.

they need another point forward, who isn't a part of the system but is actually a natual point forward to help runs the second unit.

Probably prefer a SF than a PF because they'd still need Lopez/Leonard out there grabbing boards.

I don't even think this point forward even needs to be a scorer, but like an 10/6/6 type of guy who can play the defense.

A really high IQ version of Beasley - think he's still coachable and can have his career saved at this point?
maybe AK? but he's resigning with the Nets
Turkoglu in his prime may have been a good fit

ehh, you get the point.