PDA

View Full Version : NBA Hierarchy as Monarchy: All-time Greats - Part One

G.O.A.T
07-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Just another way of looking at the best players of all-time. Think of them as Kings or Khans or Emperors, who has had the longest reign. I'm going to try and use the absolute longest time periods I can for each one, we'll save the debate for the overlapping years...

I - King George The First
1946-1954
Challengers to Throne: Bob Davies, Dolph Schayes, Bob Cousy,

http://prohoopshistory.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/george-mikan-nbaavenue-blogspot-com.jpg

-Using Brute Force George the Giant crushes the competition laying waste to anyone who dare stand in his way. Even when his leg is broken and he is beaten in battle he ultimately takes back what was rightfully his and wins the war. Though his methods were medieval and his look may not strike fear into the hearts of folks today, there is no denying his place as history as the First Emperor of Basketball, a true King...

First Period of Transition - The Quickening
1954-1957

-Throne abdicated by Mikan in 1954, conquest takes on a more rapid pace. Schayes, Arizin, Cousy, Pettit all have moments where it seems they could assert themselves as heir, but then something entirely different rolls in from the West.

II - William the Conqueror
1957-1967
Challengers to Throne: Bob Pettit, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson

https://seeyouinoctober.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/0214_bill-russell-630x393.jpg

Unlike anything the known Basketball world has ever seen, The most thoughtful King revolutionizes defense and his Kingdom constructs a Great Wall that stands longer than any before or since. The Green Kingdom with it's Elder council led by Arnold the Red and Walter the Brown would allow Russell to elevate a race of people previously thought not fit for rule in Basketball-Dumb. Eventually becoming so great a force he powered the entire army of the Green Kingdom on his own, William is the only King/General to have never fallen in a do or die battle...

III - Wilton The Giant King
1965-1972
Challengers to Throne: Bill Russell, Jerry West, Willis Reed, Lew Alcindor

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Wilt_Chamberlain_Nate_Thurmond.jpg

They knew he was coming and they knew they couldn't stop him. His only weakness early on seemed to be strategic as he searched for the right force to assemble around him. Individually he commanded battle like no one else ever has. Wreaking havoc from the moment he arrived on the landscape, some recognize his domination having begun by 1965 but it was in 1967 that he left do doubt eviscerating the Kingdom of Green and collecting a herom that has never been matched...

Period of Three Kings
1969-1970

In between the time of Wilt and Kareem, as both battled injuries and inexperience and could not take firm hold of the Throne, three other warring factions, the Celts, led by Hondo the Energetic, the Yorkshires, led by Willis the Unbreakable and the Westerners led by Jerry of Westland all took their turns on the top of the mountain but none held the throne alone until...

IV - Alcindor the Wise
1970-1981
Challengers to Throne: Willis Reed & Walt Frazier, Havlicek & Cowens, Unseld and Hayes, Bob McAdoo, Bill Walton, Julius Erving

http://live.drjays.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/kareem-abdul-jabbar-karriere-lakers-magic-johnson-larry-bird-20.jpg

In an era of Basketball Renaissance, Great alliances and new exploration opening up more colorful Worlds to the Basketball universe, it was stoic discipline that won out in the form of Alcindor the wise. Intent to do things his way he moved from the Northern Native Lands of Mil-Wau-Kee to the Great Western Dynasty, intent to be it's next ruler. A man of principal and a master of efficient scoring He would convert Basketball to the Muslim Religion one sky hook at a time...

Second Period of Transition - The Dawn of the Golden Age
1981-1984

After a long and fruitful reign, Alcindor the Wise (known by now as Kareem the surly to many) while not yet ready to relinquish power was under too great of attack to hold the keys to the kingdom on his own. Two young princes, one from the great city and other from the vast farmlands emerge as does a Man-Child deep in the heart of Texas and a "Doctor" in the Basketball Holy Land of Philadelphia. The Great King Lew aligns with one of the young princes and so begins a Great and glorious war that will launch the league into the stratosphere.

V - Larry the Legendary
1981-1987
Challengers to Throne: Magic Johnson, Julius Erving, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef014e86bc83d4970d-pi

http://media.tumblr.com/4b8f123026ce309eb0bc03c1f2ab7555/tumblr_inline_mw04y7qdjx1r94xu7.jpg

http://graphics.boston.com/images/sports/celtics/2006/bird_1024768.jpg

After many great battles dating back to their adolescence a showdown with the Westerners in 1984 finally cemented Larry the Legendary as supreme ruler of Hoopdom and he and the Celtic tribes took up residence in the East. There they ruled with a mix of long and short range attacks as Larry's star ascended. His tenacious, arrogant manor of rule divided the plebeians and the aristocracy alike, but no one could deny he was one tough S.O.B ...

VI -Earvin the Magician
1985-1991
Challengers to Throne: Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, Michael Jordan

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/history/legends/magic-johnson/magic-johnson-pass.jpg

After serving alongside Alcindor the Wise and losing his first great battle with Larry the Legendary, Earvin the Magician conjured up some sorcery and mystified the lands with a form of rule that both captivated and terrified the people as the Throne returned West. His battles with Larry the Legendary and the Kingdom of Green were Epic and ended with his side prevailing in 19 and 87. Hiding behind the enigmatic smile he often wore was a competitive fire that would allow him to slit your throat if you gave him the chance...

Third Period of Transition - The Barbarian Invasions
1989-1991

http://warroomsports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Bad-Boy-Pistons.jpg

With the Sun setting on the great rule of the two princes, from the great Fresh Coast came an army of invaders more cruel and callus than anyone that has come before or since. A brutal blood thirsty bunch with Barbaric names like Zeke, Lamb, Thump (or was it bump), Worm, Spider, Microwave and Joe. (okay they weren't all evil) They would tear down the New Kingdom of Green and the Great Western Dynasty en route to planting their own flag a top the mountain and holding up the inevitable on coming Arial assault from a futuristic warrior no one could have seen come.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B5njCdRC03Y/U6D5d-SsPpI/AAAAAAAAEmo/9YNUK110pQA/s1600/unforgivable.jpg

SsKSpurs21
07-10-2014, 05:06 PM
this was freakin awesome! is there a part 2 or are you working on it! keep it coming. :cheers:

RoundMoundOfReb
07-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Good thread idea..

riseagainst
07-10-2014, 05:24 PM
:roll:

:bowdown: :bowdown:

great post. I wonder what the 2000s gonna be like. And lebron. The return of the KING!!

:bowdown:

L.Kizzle
07-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Nice, as always.

The first period of transition 54-57, I'd add Neil Johnston and Maurice Stokes.

ralph_i_el
07-10-2014, 06:32 PM
OP is going for the longest green bar in ISH history

L.Kizzle
07-10-2014, 06:48 PM
V - Julius the Doctor
1967-1976
Challengers to Throne: Mel Daniel, Connie Hawkins, Artis Gilmore, Spencer Haywood, George McGinnis, Dan Issel

Julius is that important, he belongs with the Mikans, Russels, Wilts, Kareems, Birds and Magics.
To go along with your theme, something about an enemy that ends up finally getting dethroned.

G.O.A.T
07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
V - Julius the Doctor
1967-1976
Challengers to Throne: Mel Daniel, Connie Hawkins, Artis Gilmore, Spencer Haywood, George McGinnis, Dan Issel

Julius is that important, he belongs with the Mikans, Russels, Wilts, Kareems, Birds and Magics.
To go along with your theme, something about an enemy that ends up finally getting dethroned.

Ah the King of the far away colorful land of the ABA.

If I were to give Julius a reign it would be from '74 to '77 while Kareem was struggling with bad teams, but even Julius showed some vulnerability when his Kingdom was laid to waste by the cracked out visagothic--esque Spirits of St. Louis and their very own Attila the Hun, Marvin Barnes.

this was freakin awesome! is there a part 2 or are you working on it! keep it coming. :cheers:

Thanks. Part two tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I find good enough pictures.

ArbitraryWater
07-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Thats pretty sick...

BTW, LeBreon's reing starts in 2009... Since then hes the best.

Shaq was 00-02, Timmy was 03-05..Or make Timmy 03-07, fits better to this idea i guess.

BasedTom
07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Nice thread.

G.O.A.T
07-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Thats pretty sick...

BTW, LeBreon's reing starts in 2009... Since then hes the best.

Shaq was 00-02, Timmy was 03-05..Or make Timmy 03-07, fits better to this idea i guess.

The idea is to cover every possible year they could be considered the best. So the spans will be a little longer than the absolute peaks you suggest. Think of years overlap as years where the two (or more) were at war to prove who was truly elite.

ArbitraryWater
07-10-2014, 07:03 PM
The idea is to cover every possible year they could be considered the best. So the spans will be a little longer than the absolute peaks you suggest. Think of years overlap as years where the two (or more) were at war to prove who was truly elite.

Gotcha

moe94
07-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Wonderful shit

ArbitraryWater
07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Why are jealous retards one starring this shit?

moe94
07-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Why are jealous retards one starring this shit?

Because they can. It's that simple.

G.O.A.T
07-10-2014, 08:02 PM
-The Red, White and Blue Ruffians continued to ramble about the NBA's countryside for nearly three years, laying in wake any who opposed but no matter how many times they knocked down this next figure, he kept coming back, stronger, wiser, more resolved. Until finally in 1991...

VII - His Royal Airness Lord Michael of Jeffrey
1989-1993 & 1996-1998
Challengers to Throne: Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal

http://www.footlocker.com/ns/striperpedia/shoekeyfeature/images/Jordan%20Retro%204%20294x280.jpg

-Soaring above his Kingdom like no one else can, the first portion of His Airness' reign was Sherman-esque March through the NBA landscape showing no mercy and leaving only bruised egos behind in a scorched earth policy of the NBA's up and coming superstars. With an army amassed like few others things in the Windy City Kingdom were Bullish, it seemed like Lord Michael may reign forever, but in the year 19 and 93 he left Basketball for the far off Hinter Lands of Major League Baseball, there was once again vacancy upon the throne until...

VIII - Prince Akeem de Phi Slamma Jamma "The Ghost King"
1994-1996
Challengers to Throne: David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone

http://muslimathlete.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/hakeem-olajuwon.jpg

-Leading his Rocket armies into battle against the Kingdom of Green at the tender age of 23, this silent assassin seemed destined for greatness right away. But Larry Legendary and his troops were at the peak of their powers and obliterated the young warriors' forces. As he recharged in the lowlands of Texas he was forced to watch as Jordan supplanted him as heir apparent after Magic and Bird. But with the "Flighty one" seeking to conquer new lands, without so much as he sound he took hold of Basketball and held it in his gifted hands for two full seasons...

The Rulers Back
1996-1998

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1997/0310_mid.jpg

-The Ghost King descended as quickly as he had risen. Meanwhile in the Windy City Kingdom Jeffrey's sub-generals Pippen the Versatile and Phillip the Zen had reached new heights drawing comparrisons to the likes of Ghengis Khan's Subeti and Jebe; and with a motivated Michael on the scene, the competition stood little chance, he would reclaim his throne and become the first King since William the Conqueror to win his final battle.

http://net.archbold.k12.oh.us/ahs/web_class/Spring_11/MichaelJordan_Velez/Images/TheLastShot.jpg

IX - "His Royal Dominance" Shaq-A-Khan
1999-2005
Challengers to Throne: Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant

http://thatsenuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Shaq-Lakers-m.jpg

-Emerging from the Mongol Swamps of Louisiana this great force could move mountains (including Mt. Mutombo and Oliver Miller) and moved the throne back to the Western Kingdom after His Airness landed and what Shaqstorians call the asterisk era. With a power that could not be matched this irresistible force was also the immovable object. Though his reign was glorious it was cut short, perhaps in part to the conflict between him and his chosen successor. Their in-fighting led to a fracture in the Western Kingdom and the Southern Pop Dynasty was born...

X - Kaiser Duncan Von BankShot
2002-2008
Challengers to Throne: Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady

http://theleftahead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tim-duncan-2005-nba-championship-with-2-trophies-112.jpg

Known by some as Timmy the Timid, this quiet King's attitude of selflessness and devotion to Country led to his armies machine like decimation of other seemingly more high powered foes. All the while showing the greatest loyalty of all, in fact still many today believe the Southern pop Dynasty under the democratic rule of the fundamental one to be the greatest in the land. Though his rule lacked the dominance of other more emphatic recent rulers, few since Alcindor the Wise could rival his diplomacy and ability to see the bigger picture...

XI - Caesar Kobe Augustus
2006-2011
Challengers to Throne: Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James, Dwight Howard

http://sports-odds.com/images/stories/kobe-bryant-screams.jpg

-One of the youngest and most ambitious figures ever to vie for the throne, Gaius Caesar Kobe Augustus of the House of Bean went as far as the orchestrate a coup in 2004 to remove the great Khan from the throne of the Western Dynasty. After a year in Exile (known as the year of the Eagle to some) he emerged in his final form (I don't know what that means) as the Black Mamba and sunk his teeth into true greatness over the nest five seasons restoring the Western Dynasty to power in 2009, even today, now half robotic and half hologram he longs to return to the throne...

King James I: The Decider
2007-Present
Challengers to Throne: Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose

http://ksmleadership.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/king-james1.jpg

-The current reigning King is like few others, his talents undeniable, but his motives sometimes leave one wondering. He seems driven for things greater than just a Kingdom on the court. After Leaving his Homeland for the South Beach Kingdom many viewed him as a Vagabond, perhaps of little ambition for the throne, but after being defeated in a subordinate role in 2011, he asserted himself on the Basketball World and became it's Ruler the following June. Now the world waits as his next destination is to be chosen at any moment. Surely whatever he chooses, the balance of power stands to be tested...

zoom17
07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Great thread man:cheers:

Natureland
07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
:bowdown:

L.Kizzle
07-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Chris Webber to 99-05 and Payton to 96-98.

Pointguard
07-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Good stuff. The Pistons... hahaha.

scandisk_
07-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Wish it was longer... This is GREAT! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

RichieW
07-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Feel like theres too much overlap in years in the 2000's.

Shaq 99-03, Duncan 02-08, Kobe 08-10, Lebron 09-present

Great thread regardless

wakencdukest
07-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Awesome thread :cheers: It would be cool if you added some sub-plots and villains from over the years!

G.O.A.T
07-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Feel like theres too much overlap in years in the 2000's.

Shaq 99-03, Duncan 02-08, Kobe 08-10, Lebron 09-present

Great thread regardless

Thanks, that's where I'd like to see some debate or opinions.

I think the problem with the way you have it is that it misses years where guys had a good case.

Many felt that Shaq should have been MVP in 2005 and in 2004 the Lakers beat the Spurs and Shaq was still prime Shaq as he showed in the Finals despite his teams meltdown. Kobe has a case in 2006 and on for sure. Duncan wasn't the same guy as 2005 and the Spurs got bounced early, meanwhile Kobe was brilliant and if his cast makes a few plays they knock out the Suns in round one. Then who knows. I still like Duncan more there, but I see the other side. Same with LeBron, I mean after 2007's finals trip he took Boston to seven games in '08 and led the Cavs to 60+ wins wins while winning MVP's in 2009 and 2010.

That's the idea of the thread though, to talk about these things.

Awesome thread :cheers: It would be cool if you added some sub-plots and villains from over the years!

Yeah, I think that would be fun, I'll work on that tomorrow time permitting.

RichieW
07-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks, that's where I'd like to see some debate or opinions.

I think the problem with the way you have it is that it misses years where guys had a good case.

Many felt that Shaq should have been MVP in 2005 and in 2004 the Lakers beat the Spurs and Shaq was still prime Shaq as he showed in the Finals despite his teams meltdown. Kobe has a case in 2006 and on for sure. Duncan wasn't the same guy as 2005 and the Spurs got bounced early, meanwhile Kobe was brilliant and if his cast makes a few plays they knock out the Suns in round one. Then who knows. I still like Duncan more there, but I see the other side. Same with LeBron, I mean after 2007's finals trip he took Boston to seven games in '08 and led the Cavs to 60+ wins wins while winning MVP's in 2009 and 2010.

That's the idea of the thread though, to talk about these things.

Yeah, I think that would be fun, I'll work on that tomorrow time permitting.

I think you're a bit unfair on Duncan in 2006, the Spurs probably take Game 7 against the Mavs if Manu doesn't give up an And-1 to Dirk when they're up 3 with 21 seconds left.

I could see Shaq 99-04, Duncan 02-07, Kobe 07-11, Lebron 08-Present but I think having 4 overlap years of Kobe/Lebron is a cop out. Kobe was obviously on the best team but Lebron has clearly been the best player in the league since his first MVP in 09

Spaulding
07-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Pretty cool man

moe94
07-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Just like to say again that this might be the best damn thread this site has ever produced. Simply amazing.

RichieW
07-10-2014, 11:24 PM
One thing I think is clear is that 2002 is a classic overlap season, Duncan MVP but loses to the reigning king Shaq in the playoffs, and 2003 and 2008 are classic changing of the guard, MVP beats the reigning king in the playoffs (Duncan/Shaq and Kobe/Duncan)

Pearleojam
07-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Great post!!! :rockon:

ArbitraryWater
07-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Epic :bowdown:

Too bad it's already over :(

zoom17
07-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Nice thread again.

LA Lakers
07-11-2014, 11:27 PM
I like how you made Kobe, Roman Emperor Caligula aka Gaius Caesar son of Germanicus. That's genius.

bballnoob1192
07-11-2014, 11:34 PM
you should of added the celtics run as some kind of challenger or somthing cuz they were pretty dominant during their 4 year span together. something like the dawn of the three king era and the heatles could the the dust of the three king era. i think that would be pretty awesome

G.O.A.T
07-12-2014, 08:00 AM
I like how you made Kobe, Roman Emperor Caligula aka Gaius Caesar son of Germanicus. That's genius.

Thank you.

I really like that one and Duncan Von Bankshot. To me Timmy is pure German, stoic, machine-like, loyal, unwavering, brilliant etc.

One thing I think is clear is that 2002 is a classic overlap season, Duncan MVP but loses to the reigning king Shaq in the playoffs, and 2003 and 2008 are classic changing of the guard, MVP beats the reigning king in the playoffs (Duncan/Shaq and Kobe/Duncan)

I agree here for sure.

It works best when a new king beats an old king in the playoffs.

Epic :bowdown:

History Never ends...If I can come up with some angles worth using I'll add more sections.

Too bad it's already over :(

micz
07-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Great stuff. Looking forward to part 2 :bowdown:

G.O.A.T
07-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Great stuff. Looking forward to part 2 :bowdown:

Part two is at the top of page two, decided to make them both in one thread.

ArbitraryWater
07-12-2014, 09:01 AM
How difficult would it be to explain the Bulls winning in 1994 with Pippen? :lol

The Lord Michael of Jeffrey retires, and his Team defends their title... lol.

Would that require an extra section for Pip and one year?

BTW, I think you kind of forgot/left out Pippen and Stockton in Challengers to the Throne, IMHO..

G.O.A.T
07-12-2014, 09:24 AM
BTW, I think you kind of forgot/left out Pippen and Stockton in Challengers to the Throne, IMHO..

Very good players, but always 2nd best on their team (save '94)

I only gave the crown to folks with two titles or more. If the Bulls win in '94 a lot of things are different.