PDA

View Full Version : Why is Toronto never considered an elite FA destination?

Jef
07-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I have been thinking about this a lot today, and can't understand why Toronto isn't considered at least a second-tier FA destination.

It isn't New York or Los Angeles, and Miami has (way, way) better weather, but for the life of me I can't figure out why these young, rich dudes WHO HAVE ALL BEEN THERE don't want to go to Toronto.

In my opinion it's a top 5 NBA city.

It wouldn't be QUITE as Disney Pixar as Lebron going back to Cleveland, but I think Wiggins might head there in a few years and I hope he does. ****ing awesome city that seems to have awesome fan support.

None of this even touches on the fact that they have the GOAT modern jerseys on throwback nights. I would buy a throwback Quintel Woods/Osama bin Laden Raptors jersey in a cocaine heartbeat.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Probably because Canada.

Lebronxrings
07-10-2014, 10:12 PM
tax, too far for some players, team isn't exactly a title contender.

eliteballer
You answered your own question, weather. Same reason you don't see players running to Chicago.

Dr. Ice
Canada.

Jef
07-10-2014, 10:13 PM
tax, too far for some players, team isn't exactly a title contender.

fair reasoning, but Lowry and Demar aren't scrubs anymore, and the GM has his shit together. I kind of hope they get good soon.

I think 2nd teams are for ******* - you have one true team or you don't have one at all - but I wouldn't mind seeing the Raptors get big.

BlazerRed
07-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Shit's cold yo.

Smook A.
07-10-2014, 10:16 PM
I guess its because they're in the Canada and it gets really cold. Great city, though.

AKADS
07-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Tax issues and a lot of players who have kids don't want them learning Canadian history instead of American. Not to mention the metric system.

Also hasn't been a stable franchise. Hopefully they can turn that around. Plus basketball is becoming much bigger so there should more money in endorsements

Clyde
07-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Shit's cold yo.

:facepalm

Seriously.?

Fudge
07-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Because Canada is too good for these scrub ass American players.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Limits your marketability..Hard to become a star in the US..

D-Rose
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Tax issues and a lot of players who have kids don't want them learning Canadian history instead of American. Not to mention the metric system.

Also hasn't been a stable franchise. Hopefully they can turn that around. Plus basketball is becoming much bigger so there should more money in endorsements
I feel like the last thing on an NBA player's mind is Canadian history....

D-Rose
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Limits your marketability..Hard to become a star in the US..
http://thefakebasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/basketball-animated-gif-sports-gifs-giphy-1390782860g8n4k.gif

KyrieTheFuture
07-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Black people don't like cold weather

RoundMoundOfReb
07-10-2014, 10:30 PM
http://thefakebasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/basketball-animated-gif-sports-gifs-giphy-1390782860g8n4k.gif
He would've been even bigger if he played in the US.. I'm not saying it's impossible to be a star but it's more difficult.

AKADS
07-10-2014, 10:35 PM
:bowdown:
I feel like the last thing on an NBA player's mind is Canadian history....

I remember someone years back saying they didn't want to resign because he didn't want his kids going to a Canadian school. I want to say Davis but I may be wrong there

JerryWest
07-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Moose

AKADS
07-10-2014, 10:38 PM
He would've been even bigger if he played in the US.. I'm not saying it's impossible to be a star but it's more difficult.
Disagree. People don't realize everyone of the raptors games is shown nationally. That's 40 million.

Legends66NBA7
07-10-2014, 10:40 PM
To be honest, I think it has to do with the fact that Toronto is looked at as a place that can't win and it's not in America, so NBA players could probably not appreciate it that much. I can get taxes but this...

Black people don't like cold weather

Why did KG stay in Minnesota for 12 years ?

There's even more examples, but if anyone has that opinion, it's pretty lame. Would NBA players honestly select places like Minnesota and Detroit over Toronto ? How about Portland and Milwaukee ? Denver and Sacramento ? It gets colder in Chicago and New York too.

But again, the main problem in the past management and it's history of failure first. If Toronto fixes that wins the ultimate it goal (a title and more) then I can see FA's having a different tune about the city.

D-FENS
07-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Tax, cold, boring compared to the US. Crap team with no history. Hockey country full of retards

Lebronxrings
07-10-2014, 10:57 PM

:biggums: you think a player thinks about his kids learning history and a different metric system?

hawkfan
07-10-2014, 10:57 PM
1. Bad management.
2. Not targeting the right players.

D-Rose
07-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Maybe this new wave of Canadians in the NBA can make some noise by wanting to go to Toronto.

Sham
07-10-2014, 11:12 PM

Really....a bigger star than he already was in the early 2000s? Dude was a household name around the world and lead all-star voting for 4 out of the 5 years from 2000-2004. I used to post on ISH back then....Vince and Kobe made up 80% of the threads on ISH.

How exactly would he have been bigger?

knickballer
07-10-2014, 11:14 PM
In my opinion Toronto is seen as an "European" type of city that has a large appeal to the EuroAsian groups. But for NBA players (majority of them are Blacks) probably don't see the appeal playing in Canada and in that city and may want to play in a city that's a bit closer culturally to them possibly? Cities like LA, NY, Houston? :confusedshrug:

Young X
07-10-2014, 11:16 PM
People over exaggerate the weather in Toronto, the weather in NY isn't that much better. :confusedshrug:

BurningHammer
07-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Shit's cold yo.
So are Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit etc.

KNOW1EDGE
07-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Americans don't want to live in or play for Canada.

GoRapz
07-11-2014, 01:35 AM
It's simply comes down to winning. The weather is the same as New York, Chicago, and Detroit to name a few. Taxes are higher in LA than in Toronto. I live in Toronto and it's about a 5 hour drive to New York so location is another excuse.

Droid101
07-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Best NBA weather is Southern California.

MavsSuperFan
07-11-2014, 01:38 AM
canadian taxation

SpanishACB
07-11-2014, 03:55 AM
It has to be about winning.

Because Canada is one of the top countries to live in, all things considered, way ahead of the states.

comerb
07-11-2014, 04:05 AM
Tax, cold, boring compared to the US. Crap team with no history. Hockey country full of retards

Toronto isn't a boring city, it's a fantastic city. But it's not exactly a black mecca. Only like 8% of the population is black.

FKAri
07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
1. history of management ****ups
2. taxes
3 weather

Legends66NBA7
07-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Toronto isn't a boring city, it's a fantastic city. But it's not exactly a black mecca. Only like 8% of the population is black.

It's a multi-cultural city.

Which NBA cities are considered black meccas ?

played0ut
07-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Shit's cold yo.

I guess its because they're in the Canada and it gets really cold. Great city, though.

it's actually not that cold all the time. Weather's comparable to NYC/Buffalo. I think Minnesota is colder, actually. Toronto also has a MASSIVE party scene. Seriously, it's one of the better party cities in North America.

The big answer is taxes. We pay up the ass here.

[quote]Any professional athlete in a major sport (basketball, baseball, hockey) is going to earn in the high six figures.

In the United States, that would put them in the highest tax bracket, where they

Lebron23
07-11-2014, 04:43 PM
They paid double taxers

D-FENS
07-19-2014, 06:36 PM
It's a multi-cultural city.

Which NBA cities are considered black meccas ?

Atlanta...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PckhgObntwQ/UdQuP-CUWlI/AAAAAAAAdFU/bjCobqUPpFQ/s350/korver.jpg

Meticode
07-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Another reason why is because players have to pay US taxes and Canadian taxes as well.

Finger Roll
07-19-2014, 08:49 PM
We know the taxes don't help, but the team is gaining some respect along with people realizing the city is a great place.

I like the chances of Wiggins wearing a raptors jersey someday!

BigBoss
07-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Another reason why is because players have to pay US taxes and Canadian taxes as well.

No they don't. They only pay for one country. There's a law against double tax. America can't tax you if your income comes from Canada and vica verca.

macmac
07-19-2014, 10:57 PM
I love how everyone talks about double tax as if it's a proven fact, and I'm including the professional talking heads as well.

You pay taxes where you reside, so if you live in Toronto for 180 days of the year and you spend the rest of your time in the states you pay taxes accordingly.

There's basically no difference between a city like TO and NYC as far as taxes go.

avonbarksdale
07-19-2014, 11:10 PM
I love how everyone talks about double tax as if it's a proven fact, and I'm including the professional talking heads as well.

You pay taxes where you reside, so if you live in Toronto for 180 days of the year and you spend the rest of your time in the states you pay taxes accordingly.

There's basically no difference between a city like TO and NYC as far as taxes go.

false. jalen rose played on the raptors and explained that he had to pay both taxes, and cited that as a reason why he believes free agents don't want to go to toronto

rightsideup
07-19-2014, 11:20 PM
false. jalen rose played on the raptors and explained that he had to pay both taxes, and cited that as a reason why he believes free agents don't want to go to torontomaybe he kept crossing the border to go home and sleep in Detroit. For what salary he was being paid at the time he could afford to pay a little more effort.

ILLsmak
07-19-2014, 11:55 PM
I have been thinking about this a lot today, and can't understand why Toronto isn't considered at least a second-tier FA destination.

It isn't New York or Los Angeles, and Miami has (way, way) better weather, but for the life of me I can't figure out why these young, rich dudes WHO HAVE ALL BEEN THERE don't want to go to Toronto.

In my opinion it's a top 5 NBA city.

It wouldn't be QUITE as Disney Pixar as Lebron going back to Cleveland, but I think Wiggins might head there in a few years and I hope he does. ****ing awesome city that seems to have awesome fan support.

None of this even touches on the fact that they have the GOAT modern jerseys on throwback nights. I would buy a throwback Quintel Woods/Osama bin Laden Raptors jersey in a cocaine heartbeat.

It's a good spot, but it's just the way people think that keeps them out.

Nobody said these dudes are innovative thinkers. If they were, some would go there and build. I like Canada, tho, from what I've seen of it. Some nice women there, too.

-Smak

greymatter
07-20-2014, 12:05 AM
No they don't. They only pay for one country. There's a law against double tax. America can't tax you if your income comes from Canada and vica verca.

You're clearly a retard. Par for the course with Kobestans. All this info could have very easily been looked up in less than 5 seconds on Google.

The US taxes its citizens on income made regardless of whether its abroad or not. It's taxed at a different rate. That's the only difference. Nonetheless being a citizen of the US is shitty if you make lots of money abroad. Same with China too. There's a reason why someone like Jet Li gave up his Chinese citizenship, then later gave up his US as well.

aboss4real24
07-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Trash team

Rameek
07-20-2014, 02:45 AM
I think management is a concern but the family and friends issue is a concern as well.

Its not easy to stay relevant in the US.

You're clearly a retard. Par for the course with Kobestans. All this info could have very easily been looked up in less than 5 seconds on Google.

The US taxes its citizens on income made regardless of whether its abroad or not. It's taxed at a different rate. That's the only difference. Nonetheless being a citizen of the US is shitty if you make lots of money abroad. Same with China too. There's a reason why someone like Jet Li gave up his Chinese citizenship, then later gave up his US as well.
Not technically true. You have to pay taxes yes if you make over like 90,000 a year at least thats what it was when I lived in foreign countries.