PDA

View Full Version : Forget what LeBron says, the real reasons for returning to Cleveland.

TonyMontana
07-11-2014, 02:00 PM
His little essay is all PR bullshit. Here are the real reasons.

-Miami no longer has a supporting cast that can compete with the Western conference team. A lot of this is due to Wade now becoming useless. Bosh is nice, but it appears the rest of the team would be vet minimum role players. We don't even know if the second best player(Birdman lmao) would have come back. There was no way this team was going to improve anymore. They peaked and the window closed.

-LeBron returning to Cleveland is a huge story that generates revenue. On top of this being a better move for on his legacy this shit is also going to make him more popular(for better or worse) than ever. He is also a business man.

-Cleveland was able to stockpile assets without him. If Cleveland doesn't get 3 number one overall picks in 4 years does he come back? Nope.

-Cleveland is still in the Eastern Conference. Eastern Conference = guaranteed trip to the Finals. Shitty conference and whichever team has LeBron wins it by default. He knows this. LeBron is a ***** and was never going to leave the East.

LBJFTW
07-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Just don't go supporting his beta ass and you will be alright on these boards.

wally_world
07-11-2014, 02:11 PM
This.

It was still the best decision, but i dont think that made me respect him any more.

beastee
07-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Right on. But just him getting away from Riley and Wade make him much more likeable. I will never root for him...since he is not on my Bulls, but now I can go back to just enjoying his unique style of play without getting angry about the decision and teaming up.

AnaheimLakers24
07-11-2014, 02:16 PM
your whore mom is tired of buying you jerseys :lol
tired of hooking for you

- you cant unburn jerseys

tmacattack33
Yes, he saw that he could have a good future with Cleveland.

Which is usually the number one or number two (behind money) reason why any free agent in any sport signs to a new team :confusedshrug:

LBJFTW
Right on. But just him getting away from Riley and Wade make him much more likeable. I will never root for him...since he is not on my Bulls, but now I can go back to just enjoying his unique style of play without getting angry about the decision and teaming up.

And as a true Bulls fan, you shouldn't root for him even if he came to the Bulls.

Jameerthefear
07-11-2014, 02:18 PM
pretty much

Flash31
07-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Guaranteed to the Finals?

Fck no

2/5 will remain 2/5 bc Cavs are not making it to the Finals

but it's good to know The LeBron stans can go back to experiencing losing before the Finals again

The_LA_Blakers
07-11-2014, 02:20 PM

-Miami no longer has a supporting cast that can compete with the Western conference team. A lot of this is due to Wade now becoming useless. Bosh is nice, but it appears the rest of the team would be vet minimum role players. We don't even know if the second best player(Birdman lmao) would have come back. There was no way this team was going to improve anymore. They peaked and the window closed.

-LeBron returning to Cleveland is a huge story that generates revenue. On top of this being a better move for on his legacy this shit is also going to make him more popular(for better or worse) than ever. He is also a business man.

-Cleveland was able to stockpile assets without him. If Cleveland doesn't get 3 number one overall picks in 4 years does he come back? Nope.

-Cleveland is still in the Eastern Conference. Eastern Conference = guaranteed trip to the Finals. Shitty conference and whichever team has LeBron wins it by default. He knows this. LeBron is a ***** and was never going to leave the East.

You need to add a last one:

It repairs the damage done by 'The Decision' to his legacy and ego, and winning a Championship in Cleveland will remove a lot of teh doubt and he will be loved forever.

Let's make no mistake folks, this was 100% about his legacy and ego and nothing more.

rezznor
07-11-2014, 02:20 PM

you forgot cleveland will be getting even more high draft picks from miami, who is going to suck

OnFire
07-11-2014, 02:21 PM
He went back to cleveland and the first thing he did was try to lower expectations... lmao

ralph_i_el
07-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Lebron should only make bad decisions. He should have signed with the Beijing Ducks and then "Tony Montana" would be satisfied

TonyMontana
07-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Guaranteed to the Finals?

Fck no

2/5 will remain 2/5 bc Cavs are not making it to the Finals

but it's good to know The LeBron stans can go back to experiencing losing before the Finals again

The East sucks. The Pacers are not a long term contender.

If the pieces align for the Chicago Bulls (get Melo, no injuries, Rose isn't done) they could have a shot. But other than that it's a guaranteed trip.

It repairs the damage done by 'The Decision' to his legacy and ego, and winning a Championship in Cleveland will remove a lot of teh doubt and he will be loved forever.

Let's make no mistake folks, this was 100% about his legacy and ego and nothing more.

Sure. In my post that is the same as "returning to Cleveland generating hype/revenue" though.

you forgot cleveland will be getting even more high draft picks from miami, who is going to suck

I believe there is protection on those picks.

no pun intended
07-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Your best and most rational thread TonyMontana.

STATUTORY
07-11-2014, 02:30 PM
this is all correct, it was the expedient and opportunistic move

bron is shrewd and calculating. sentimentality had little to do with it

SpecialQue
07-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Jesus, Lebron goes back to the Cavs and OP makes a thread that I agree with. I'm about to check outside to see if it's raining frogs.

LBJ 23
07-11-2014, 02:33 PM
You're stupid if you think that him coming home, his family coming home, him trying to at least a little repair that damage he did in 10' with decision, had nothing to do with his return.

rezznor
07-11-2014, 02:34 PM
The East sucks. The Pacers are not a long term contender.

If the pieces align for the Chicago Bulls (get Melo, no injuries, Rose isn't done) they could have a shot. But other than that it's a guaranteed trip.

Sure. In my post that is the same as "returning to Cleveland generating hype/revenue" though.

I believe there is protection on those picks.

one pick is top 10 protected until 2016 i think

LBJ 23
07-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Also all what you said is somehow true but what did you expect, him joining Bucks, Magic, Bobcats? Are those the only teams which are allowed for him to choose? Is it forbidden to choose a team with potential and talent? He didn't go to the teams like OKC, SA, Indiana, LAC teams which are true contenders right now and without him being there. That would be ring chasing or bailing like many of you are saying.

ThePhantomCreep
07-11-2014, 02:39 PM
LeBron is definitely banking on the young Cavs blossoming into contenders. It's a bold move, I'll give him that.

hitmanyr2k
07-11-2014, 02:41 PM
You're stupid if you think that him coming home, his family coming home, him trying to at least a little repair that damage he did in 10' with decision, had nothing to do with his return.

If the Heat didn't get man-handled by the Spurs the Cavs would have been an afterthought. Cleveland should thank their lucky stars the Spurs whooped that ass and humbled Lebron into going home :oldlol:

TonyMontana
07-11-2014, 11:49 PM
BUMP! for the late nighters

contrary to the propaganda, LeBron returning to Cleveland has very little to do with "redemption and "his love for Northeast Ohio".

The move is all about having a greater chance at winning and the personal glory/hype that the media/sponsors will give him because of it. Anyone that thinks LeBron is taking "the people of Northeast Ohio" interests over his own is a ****ing fool.

LeBron was pissed at the Dan Gilberts letter. He would not have come back had Cleveland not been a perfect opportunity both with the team(3 #1 overall picks in last four years plus Varejao), it being in the East(no competition, automatic Finals berth) and the opportunity to build his brand with this newfound hype.

20Four
07-11-2014, 11:53 PM

:cheers: :applause: :cheers: :applause: :cheers: :applause: :cheers: :applause:

LBJFTW
07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
BUMP! for the late nighters

contrary to the propaganda, LeBron returning to Cleveland has very little to do with "redemption and "his love for Northeast Ohio".

The move is all about having a greater chance at winning and the personal glory/hype that the media/sponsors will give him because of it. Anyone that thinks LeBron is taking "the people of Northeast Ohio" interests over his own is a ****ing fool.

LeBron was pissed at the Dan Gilberts letter. He would not have come back had Cleveland not been a perfect opportunity both with the team(3 #1 overall picks in last four years plus Varejao), it being in the East(no competition, automatic Finals berth) and the opportunity to build his brand with this newfound hype.

There's lots of fools in Cleveland who believe exactly this and your assessment is spot on. Most accurate post you've had in years tho. :lol

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
There's a human element to it, ie. his "homecoming" - but this is mostly spot on. Repped.

oh the horror
07-12-2014, 12:04 AM
There's a human element to it, ie. his "homecoming" - but this is mostly spot on. Repped.

This and what the OP said are spot on. I have no disagreements here.

IMObjective
07-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Nice, turns out Tony Montana was a real heat fan.

I also agree.

Jasper
07-12-2014, 01:13 AM
I thought about the Cav's and bron , but quite frankly never for the reasons he has stated , or for that matter Grantland has stated.

Clip's , Spurs , he basically could of crowned himself with 6 rings and had a legit argument if MJ was truly the best.

But he conceded.
That is right.
He may go down as going to the finals 9 times (russell)
BUT even if he wins one with the Cav's 3-4 rings doesn't award him Mount Rushmore.

Really puts a quirk in the NBA.
Driving home tonight , I thought what if Nate Walters of the Bucks said he was going home :confusedshrug:

What if all the ballers said they were going home ...

We would have about 4 cities on the NBA map. (And it would not include CLEVerLAND)

Next 6 + years bank on a west conference team winning it , except one year:pimp:

davehos
07-12-2014, 01:16 AM
I really think there are two reasons why LeBron is returning to Ohio.

1) Miami in going downhill. Wade got blistered in the Finals.

2) Cleveland is improving. How would history look at it if Kyrie won a ring in Cleveland while LeBron was in Miami?

LeBron isn't stupid. The same thing that drove him to Miami is driving him back to Cleveland.

FLDFSU
07-12-2014, 01:17 AM
I love how the dumbasses that spent the better part of three years screaming about how stacked the Heat are...how 3 weeks ago "Miami is the most stacked team of all time-relative to competition" today, is suddenly a team is horrible.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Meticode
07-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Unite Heat fans!

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-12-2014, 01:19 AM
I love how the dumbasses that spent the better part of three years screaming about how stacked the Heat are...how 3 weeks ago "Miami is the most stacked team of all time-relative to competition" today, is suddenly a team is horrible.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Cleveland has them beat with FOUR #1 draft picks and potentially the best PF in basketball

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t_ZrIiZI2GA/UIWaRq18lwI/AAAAAAAAC9k/UrOvsMsV56c/s1600/n4z7dj.gif

Meticode
07-12-2014, 01:21 AM
It's so hypocritical to sit there and call out LeBron for leaving for those reasons being pissed about it as a Heat fan when he left Cleveland for basically those same reasons to come to Miami.

FLDFSU
07-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Cleveland has them beat with FOUR #1 draft picks and potentially the best PF in basketball

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t_ZrIiZI2GA/UIWaRq18lwI/AAAAAAAAC9k/UrOvsMsV56c/s1600/n4z7dj.gif

and won 33 games in the "weakest conference of all time"

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-12-2014, 01:28 AM
and won 33 games in the "weakest conference of all time"

lol

And another #1 pick (not LeBron) would have taken them to the playoffs this year.

Xover
07-12-2014, 01:31 AM
If Heat won a 3rd title does Lebron go back to Cleaveland anyway?

catquickspider
07-12-2014, 01:34 AM

it doesn't repair anything

that is only what the media says and his PR people and stans

KNOW1EDGE
07-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Worst thread ever?

The Heat went to the finals the last 4 years in a row.

Cleveland didn't make the playoffs the last 4 years in a row.

LeBron went to Cleveland because it is his home and he wants to bring them a championship. Not because the Cavs got good while he was gone. LBJ has a better chance winning a chip next year in Miami compared to Cleveland

PejaNowitzki
07-12-2014, 03:15 AM
Lebron should only make bad decisions. He should have signed with the Beijing Ducks and then "Tony Montana" would be satisfied

I don't think its so much the issue of him going to Cleveland that has some people irate, but that he's saying so much bullshit to support it. If he had come out and said "the talent here is a lot better than in Miami and I don't want to carry Wade's broken ass anymore", that would be honest and he'd get a lot of praise for being straightforward.

nashwade
07-12-2014, 03:55 AM
I'm surprised by the move in all honesty but OP made some valid points. Lebron may well ride out one or two years of building chemistry before going back to the Finals again but that's what he is giving up by leaving Miami.
If I were him I would have stayed with the Heat and make some roster adjustments. Dump the thrash and get new pieces. As much as I am a Wade fan, Riley might have told Lebron that they are not dumping Wade which made Lebron decided to leave.

bdreason
07-12-2014, 04:00 AM
He chose the Cavs because he wanted to. The same reason he chose to go to Miami. LeBron doesn't give a fukc what we think... he proved that when he went to Miami.

It's amazing how self-centered society has become with the advent of social media. LeBron's decisions aren't about you or me. His decisions are about him, his friends, and his family.

GimmeThat
07-12-2014, 04:10 AM
besides the fact that he wasn't under contract with the Cavs to differentiate the differences between the scenario that of him and Jordan returning.

why do people think that just because they make it to the finals this year, or even the year after. they are going to start winning it?

unless they make moves for the right veterans help.

that's an extremely young squad in which some WILL most likely be traded away in order to contend. however much you'd like to think that young talents are attractive and that having them together would let them contend for a long period of time.

the reality is you always want a mix of players to balance the differences.

Crimsonrain777
07-12-2014, 05:05 AM

i never expected this from you. 5 stars :applause:

scandisk_
07-12-2014, 05:25 AM
Worst thread ever?

LeBron went to Cleveland because it is his home and he wants to bring them a championship. Not because the Cavs got good while he was gone. LBJ has a better chance winning a chip next year in Miami compared to Cleveland

Which is true... That's why he's banking on the young talents. He may not win it all now, but 2-4 years from now all of that changes. Only IF those talents turn out to be THAT GOOD. The dude wanted to go home, g'luck to him.

edit: If he fails to bring CLE a chip within 4 years, the dude might jump to greener pastures, again :oldlol:

knicksman
07-12-2014, 05:29 AM
nah.. he reads ISH and being called a beta got into his nerves:lol

Andrei89
07-12-2014, 05:33 AM
I like it now how the Cavs suddenly were contenders before Lebron came.

SillyRabbit
07-12-2014, 05:40 AM

You literally hit the nail on the head with every point.

Agree 100%.

That_Admiral
07-12-2014, 05:44 AM
Great post OP! Exactly what I was thinking!

LBJ 23
07-12-2014, 07:24 AM
It's amazing how self-centered society has become with the advent of social media. LeBron's decisions aren't about you or me. His decisions are about him, his friends, and his family.

This.

It's amazing how people in this thread are saying that his family wanting to go back home, his closest friends being from Cleveland and the fact that Cleveland is his home had nothing to do with his decision.
It's all about the Cavs young roster with great potentital :facepalm

I'm not saying that Cleveland having very promising young players had nothing to do with the decision to go back because of course that's an important factor. But you also can't ignore his family and friends, Cleveland being his home town etc... It's a combination of everything. And that's excatly what he wrote in his letter.

Nash
07-12-2014, 09:21 AM
I still don't get this, but sure. Here are some points:

-Lebron left a team that has gone to the finals 4 times
-Joins a team that hasn't made the playoffs since he was there last
-Lebron goes back to a bum market that no player really wants to be in, hard to recruit. No paycuts to live in sunny Miami
-Goes back to a bunch of kids, we all know it takes experience to win.
-Left for his home town DURING HIS PRIME. Not during his mid 30's when its easier to do
-Lebron could have easily signed a 2-3 year deal with Miami and maximize his championship years but he did not.
-Like it or not, Lebron truly loves his Northeaster Ohio, he constantly talks about that place on and on and on as if it was heaven on earth.

Skyscraper
07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
honestly, can't blame Lebron for this transparent hollow move

Blame his inner circle of Maverick Carter and "World Wide Wes" (still a fuc king horrible name IMO, you're just a basketball agent, you're not that important. go stop the killing in Gaza or something Wes) for making these series of contrived moves.

FrobeShaw
07-12-2014, 10:26 AM

Agree 100%.

:coleman:

orange_chicken
07-12-2014, 10:27 AM
You forgot that Lebrick's jealous of Andrew Wiggins. He wants to steal the spotlight and hog all the attention.

LBJ 23
07-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Another thing I would like to ask those who are saying that Lebron went back just because of the Cavs young talented roster and that other personal factors have no importance. Lets say Bobcats, Bucks, Magic, Kings, Detroit,... have on their roster Irving, Waiters, Bennet, Thompson and rookie Wiggins.

Do you really think Lebron is leaving Miami during his prime for any of those teams with those young players? You really think there's any chance that's happening? Of course not, and that's because those teams have no personal connection to Lebron and that's what I'm saying the whole time, it was a combination of everything not just him looking for a team with young talented players.

orange_chicken
07-12-2014, 10:32 AM
dude you're asking too many questions. let me ask you, have you read the script written by NBA?

Another thing I would like to ask those who are saying that Lebron went back just because of the Cavs young talented roster and that other personal factors have no importance. Lets say Bobcats, Bucks, Magic, Kings, Detroit,... have on their roster Irving, Waiters, Bennet, Thompson and rookie Wiggins.

Do you really think Lebron is leaving Miami during his prime for any of those teams with those young players? You really think there's any chance that's happening? Of course not, and that's because those teams have no personal connection to Lebron and that's what I'm saying the whole time, it was a combination of everything not just him looking for a team with young talented players.

funnystuff
07-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Worst thread ever?

This is the correct mentality. It is absolutely insane to say that Cleveland being his home had nothing to do with his return.

Marlo_Stanfield
07-12-2014, 10:47 AM
of course OP is right but it also got a human element to it. LeBron has always loved Ohio and you could see more apssion from him when he played for the Cavs.
he also took a risk since most the Cavs guys are pretty damn young and no one knows if they ever will be good enough to contend.
so he DID base this on emotions too since he could have just joined the Clippers, Blazers or Bulls and contend immediately :confusedshrug:

ArbitraryWater
07-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Agree 100%.

:roll:

Check the meaning of "literally", then.

JtotheIzzo
07-12-2014, 10:53 AM

So, basically LeBron made the right decision.

Magic 32
07-12-2014, 11:05 AM
So, basically LeBron made the calculated decision.

fixed

This has always been my problem with Lebron.

Both on and off the court.

LBJ 23
07-12-2014, 11:07 AM
fixed

This has always been my problem with Lebron.

Both on and of the court.

So he is only allowed to go to teams like Bucks, Bobcats,... God forbid if he calculates and chooses a team with some young talent which just so happens to be his hometeam aswell.

Faking trolls :facepalm

PickernRoller
07-12-2014, 11:11 AM
This clown is gonna hop on the Cavs boner right now? :lol :lol

LeTards are too damn predictable.

Soundwave
07-12-2014, 11:12 AM
So he is only allowed to go to teams like Bucks, Bobcats,... God forbid if he calculates and chooses a team with some young talent which just so happens to be his hometeam aswell.

Or he could try sticking it out with a team when things get a little tough rather than jumping ship the first chance he gets.

This was an obvious move, he saw in Cleveland a chance to build a younger "big 3" with him, Kyrie (already an NBA All-Star), and the potential to move the Wiggins pick for Love or keep it and groom a potential stud 1st overall as the no.3 option.

Loyalty ain't in LeBron's dictionary, he goes to a situation he thinks will be easier in the long term ("its gon be easy!" pretty much sums him up).

That and going back to Cleveland for the above reasons provided him PR cover, if he did to Miami again what he did to Cleveland and went running to say Houston, he would get completely destroyed by the media and fans and he knew that after his "PR team" of idiots realized how badly they botched the first decision.

Cleveland is still in the paper-thin East that provides an easier path to the Finals and he gets to spin a feel good narrative this time out, while dropping Wade's aging knees like a bad habit.

When he realized he wasn't going to get much more mileage out of Wade/Bosh and the dream of "not 1, not 2, not 3" etc. was slipping away he started to look for an out. Predictably.

Magic 32
07-12-2014, 11:15 AM

Why not let honor, loyalty, passion or even hate dictate your decisions?

The guy is a cold, calculated businessman (and ball player).

It's all for the Boys & Girls Clubs remember.

LBJ 23
07-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Or he could try sticking it out with a team when things get a little tough rather than jumping ship the first chance he gets.

This was an obvious move, he saw in Cleveland a chance to build a younger "big 3" with him, Kyrie (already an NBA All-Star), and the potential to move the Wiggins pick for Love or keep it and groom a potential stud 1st overall as the no.3 option.

Yea, the things got a little tough in Miami and he did jump ship but I think short-term(which is the most important for him now) he took a harder path. He's 30 years old and if he would by any means necessary want to win rings in the next 2 years Miami would still be a better choice if they would make some improvements. And if Miami would win most likely he would be FMVP.

In Cleveland he can really start to compete what after 1-2 years(chemistry, new coach, young players etc,..) and he would already be 32-33 when that happens. And when Irving, Wiggins, Bennet, Waiters really hit their prime Lebron will be around 35-36 years old and there's a good chance any of those young players wins FMVP and Lebron will be stacking up only sidekick rings. And yea those sidekick rings rings will certainly help him a lot especially judging by ISH :oldlol:

GimmeThat
07-12-2014, 11:40 AM
of course OP is right but it also got a human element to it. LeBron has always loved Ohio and you could see more apssion from him when he played for the Cavs.
he also took a risk since most the Cavs guys are pretty damn young and no one knows if they ever will be good enough to contend.
so he DID base this on emotions too since he could have just joined the Clippers, Blazers or Bulls and contend immediately :confusedshrug:

he's making a lot of money.
he probably don't mind spending some of them.

maybe he felt that Cleveland was the best place for him to do that.

jzek
07-12-2014, 12:35 PM
OP just re-wrote what Simmons said :facepalm

At least give Simmons credit smh