PDA

View Full Version : Why is Love plausable to Cavs but not Melo?

Spaulding
07-11-2014, 05:41 PM
We all know Melo would love to play with Bron and vice versa. How is it possible that Cleveland could get Love in a S/T and not sign Melo for cheap? Melo really hate Cleveland that much?

There's something I obviously don't understand here. Wouldn't Melo contract be similar to Loves if Love went Cavs?

NumberSix
07-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Because Cleveland probably isn't "cool" enough for Melo. I don't blame him. I wouldn't live there either. Melo isn't a true competitor though. He wants a big check and a glamourous market. Fair enough, but he'd rather lose in NY or LA than win in Cleveland.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 05:43 PM
They are still playing with one ball right? LeBron and Kyrie are going to be challenging enough playing together, as both guys are very high usage players.

Tossing Melo in there? Makes no sense whatsoever from a roster perspective.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Because Cleveland probably isn't "cool" enough for Melo. I don't blame him. I wouldn't live there either.
Apparently LeBron does. Your loss.

DMAVS41
07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Because Cleveland probably isn't "cool" enough for Melo.

this.

Melo on Cavs would make the team better because they could keep Wiggins...

Melo/Dalembert for some combo of young players and first round picks

Way better for the Cavs in basketball terms actually.

But he won't want to live in Cleveland.

Godzuki
07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
i'll hate Melo if he leaves NY. he belongs there. his game fits NY, his style, everything about him is NY. i don't know how to explain it but Melo in NY just fits right.

he'll regret it if he leaves.

DMAVS41
07-11-2014, 05:45 PM
They are still playing with one ball right? LeBron and Kyrie are going to be challenging enough playing together, as both guys are very high usage players.

Totally disagree.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-11-2014, 05:45 PM

I sort of disagree. I think one the biggest complaints about LeBron's game is that he turns you into more of a spot-up shooter but thing is I think Melo NEEDS to be turned into more of a spot-up/Off-ball role..getting the ball in a position to score as opposed to always creating...I don't hate the fit as much as most

Spaulding
07-11-2014, 05:48 PM

That's because he grew up there. Totally different.

DMAVS41
07-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I sort of disagree. I think one the biggest complaints about LeBron's game is that he turns you into more of a spot-up shooter but thing is I think Melo NEEDS to be turned into more of a spot-up/Off-ball role..getting the ball in a position to score as opposed to always creating...I don't hate the fit as much as most

End of game scenarios...which is honestly the most important thing for winning the title. Meaning 4th qtr lineups....

Irving/Lebron/Melo...would be essentially unstoppable.

And if Wiggins is as good as they say he is...his defense and all around play would be a perfect fit.

WeGetRing2012
07-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Melo said he doesn't leave the hotel when he goes to Cleveland :lol

Nash
07-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Love is a better fit. Love is like Bosh only better 3 point shooter and rebounder.. but with worse defense.

NumberSix
07-11-2014, 05:51 PM
End of game scenarios...which is honestly the most important thing for winning the title. Meaning 4th qtr lineups....

Irving/Lebron/Melo...would be essentially unstoppable.

And if Wiggins is as good as they say he is...his defense and all around play would be a perfect fit.
Real talk...... Is it possible that LeBron/Love/Irving is a better big 3 than LeBron/Wade/Bosh?

Let's say Love and Bosh are basically a wash

Who would you say is a better option right now? Irving or Wade?

oarabbus
07-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Because Lala Anthony. No seriously, that's why. She thinks Denver is like a city in a 3rd world country, can you imagine Cleveland? :oldlol:

DMAVS41
07-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Real talk...... Is it possible that LeBron/Love/Irving is a better big 3 than LeBron/Wade/Bosh?

I'd rather have Irving next year than Wade.

I think Love is better than Bosh as well...only caveat is that you have to put a center out there with Love. Which any team should do anyway. Love is the absolute perfect fit at PF next to Lebron.

The Cavs just need to make sure they get a center.

I personally would go a package built around Wiggins for Love/Dieng. So they address the center position as well. If they have to give up Andy's expiring contract as well...then I go trade one of the young players and or a pick for a center. Perhaps buying John Henson from the Bucks for the Grizzlies pick or something.

NumberSix
You suddenly a LeBron fan?:confusedshrug:

Nash

Better fit I'd say, Irving being a PG.

Obviously Wade is better than Irving but except for that first season Wade has kinda been declining and having knee issues.

When it comes to Love and Bosh they are very similar with Love being better rebounder and 3 point shooter while Bosh is a better center and more versatile.

RedBlackAttack
First off, I don't want just a team of mercenaries. The Cavs have been interested in Love for years and have tried to trade for him prior to James coming back. Love can also impact the game in a lot of ways. Yeah, he can score, but he is also a great rebounder.

The Cavs want Love and that hasn't changed. I really don't want this becoming an All-Star team and the landing spot for all of the 2003 draft guys who can't find a comfortable home.

As for Melo being turned into a spot-up shooter... it might work, but you wouldn't be utilizing his full repertoire of talents. It isn't just LeBron... Kyrie is going to demand the ball quite a bit, as he should. He's a point guard.

Melo would be relegated to relatively tiny scoring role, more than likely.

My opinion... I don't want anything to do with Melo.

Soundwave
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Lala, Melo's wife ain't going 100 miles within Cleveland, that's why, lol. New York, LA, Miami, maaaaaybe Chicago, that's it.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
You suddenly a LeBron fan?:confusedshrug:
A Cavs fan, as I've always been, since my dad took me to my first game as a small child. Doubt other can say the same about their respective teams.

I won't be guilted into turning my back on this franchise.

NumberSix
07-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I'd rather have Irving next year than Wade.

I think Love is better than Bosh as well...only caveat is that you have to put a center out there with Love. Which any team should do anyway.
Bosh is so good defensively though. I've always said he's the most underrated defensive player in the league.

He wasn't a great defender before he went to Miami though. Perhaps Love can become a better defender too.

NumberSix
07-11-2014, 05:59 PM
A Cavs fan, as I've always been, since my dad took me to my first game as a small child. Doubt other can say the same about their respective teams.

I won't be guilted into turning my back on this franchise.
No doubt. I wouldn't expect that. That would be pretty foolish. Just wish 4 years ago you could have been as reasonable as I am right now and not hate a man just because he left your team. I know he's the best and I wish him well. I just hope his time isn't wasted in Cleveland, as i suspect it will be.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Bosh is so good defensively though. I've always said he's the most underrated defensive player in the league.

He wasn't a great defender before he went to Miami though. Perhaps Love can become a better defender too.
He was a great defender in that hedging system the Heat had in place with James and Wade next to him. I'm not sure they'll be able to play the same way defensively with the roster changes. Hell, they were already having to tone down their aggressiveness due to Wade's decline even when they had a prime James/Bosh.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt.

DMAVS41
07-11-2014, 06:02 PM

I don't think he's great, but he did fill in very well on the Miami system.

That is why I said Love is better...but with the caveat that you need a center next to Love.

But honestly, you should always do that next to your PF.

Put it this way Lebron/Love/Center (like Henson that I mentioned) is clearly better in my opinion than Lebron/Bosh/Center

NumberSix
07-11-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't think he's great, but he did fill in very well on the Miami system.

That is why I said Love is better...but with the caveat that you need a center next to Love.

But honestly, you should always do that next to your PF.

Put it this way Lebron/Love/Center (like Henson that I mentioned) is clearly better in my opinion than Lebron/Bosh/Center
Will Cleveland still have Varejao next season? I'm not up on his contract situation.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 06:06 PM
No doubt. I wouldn't expect that. That would be pretty foolish. Just wish 4 years ago you could have been as reasonable as I am right now and not hate a man just because he left your team. I know he's the best and I wish him well. I just hope his time isn't wasted in Cleveland.
To be fair, his departure from Miami was nothing like what happened in Cleveland. Not even in the same stratosphere. But, I'm not necessarily a vengeful person. The fact that he was only gone for four years (much shorter than anyone ever imagined) and he has gone to great lengths to atone for the way he handled himself, I'm willing to look beyond his prior faltering.

I never "hated" him, btw. This is sports. Disliking someone in a sports sense is wholly different from hating someone in real life.

He obviously wants to come back and build something here. It will be great for the city and I'm able to forgive the guy.

He will never be my favorite player in the league, but I never denied his basketball acumen. He's an awesome basketball player and I really like the other guys on this team. It would be stupid to stop watching basketball because I'm holding on to petty resentments.

It would be nice if people acknowledged the bizarre position Cavs fans have been placed in. :oldlol:

DMAVS41
07-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Will Cleveland still have Varejao next season? I'm not up on his contract situation.

Depends on if he's needed for a potential trade. He expires after this season iirc.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Yes, he has a team option for 2015 and I'm assuming the Cavs will be picking it up. He'll retire a Cavalier.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Yes, he has a team option for 2015 and I'm assuming the Cavs will be picking it up. He'll retire a Cavalier.
Could they decline and work out a cheaper/longer deal?

ShannonElements
07-11-2014, 06:14 PM
RBA, like four or five days ago you said you might stop watching the NBA altogether if Lebron came back, but now you seem to be on board.

I'm just curious why your opinion changed rather drastically in such a short frame of time. Not putting you on blast or anything - I'm genuinely curious.

jbryan1984
07-11-2014, 06:15 PM
I just don't think Melo's game will mesh well on our team. He is a chucker, a shoot first guy. Kyrie is kind of like that too so I don't want another. I am hoping LeBron can teach Kyrie to distribute and see the floor.

NumberSix
07-11-2014, 06:20 PM
To be fair, his departure from Miami was nothing like what happened in Cleveland. Not even in the same stratosphere. But, I'm not necessarily a vengeful person. The fact that he was only gone for four years (much shorter than anyone ever imagined) and he has gone to great lengths to atone for the way he handled himself, I'm willing to look beyond his prior faltering.
Real talk......

If you knew at the time in 2010 that he would leave for only a short amount of time and come back still in his prime at 29, would you have been more like "ok, fair enough. Grab a couple rings. Get it out of the way and we get you for the rest of your career" or would you still have felt betrayed?

Bernkastel
07-11-2014, 06:21 PM
You can't win with Carmelo.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 06:23 PM
RBA, like four or five days ago you said you might stop watching the NBA altogether if Lebron came back, but now you seem to be on board.

I'm just curious why your opinion changed rather drastically in such a short frame of time. Not putting you on blast or anything - I'm genuinely curious.
I said I was very conflicted over the idea and that I didn't want him back. I actually said that I might (I always said "might" for a reason, because I obviously didn't know the circumstances) have to stop caring so much about professional basketball until he retires if he were to come back. Contrary to popular belief, I wasn't saying I'd "stop" being a Cavs fan or turn on the franchise.

Also one of the reasons I didn't want him back was the circus he brings with him and all you have to do is look on the first page of ISH to see it. I wouldn't be shocked if I eventually get tired of it and stop posting here, because it is relentless. And, I liked the underdog role.

But, obviously it was always dependent upon the situation. First of all, until the last couple weeks, I never thought he'd be back this soon... which counts for something. I always assumed it would be a situation where he would try to come back and finish his career here after he was out of his prime. He was "only" gone for four years, meaning if he plays 15 years, he will have spent 11 here.

Nothing has changed as far as my not wanting him back. I didn't want him back and would have been perfectly happy if he would have gone back to Miami.

Things changed and now he's back here... I've come to grips with it and I'm still a Cavs fan. He has handled his return pretty well, aside from the ridiculous holding off of the announcement long after the decision had been made. The letter was heartfelt enough and his reasoning sounds sincere.

I'll never be a LeBron James "fan," but it is what it is. He's a part of this team now and I've been arguably the most diehard Cavs fan on this forum over the past decade. It is an odd situation, no doubt.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Real talk......

If you knew at the time in 2010 that he would leave for only a short amount of time and come back still in his prime at 29, would you have been more like "ok, fair enough. Grab a couple rings. Get it out of the way and we get you for the rest of your career" or would you still have felt betrayed?
Nah, I still would have raged about the way he handled it and even he is acknowledging what a terrible "decision" that farce was. And, there's no doubt it has shaped the way I look at LeBron. I'll never be a diehard fan of his.

But, to your point, I never thought it would be just four years. That was a surprise and it helps ease the situation a bit. He will spend the vast majority of his career here and the fact that he chose to come back so soon makes me think he realized some things while he was gone about this area of the country... things he may not have fully appreciated as a kid. Things you don't see until you've left and come back. It is the process of becoming an adult and I thought his college analogy was a pretty good one.

What can I do? I either accept it or turn my back on the NBA. Not going to do that.

jbryan1984
07-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Ill be the first to admit..... I was steamed when he left. Because unlike RBA I was a fan of his. But, I was a Cavs fan more. As each year passed, the dislike got smaller but I still never rooted for Miami ever. And when it looked like there was a chance he was coming back, I asked myself am I a hypocrite if I cheer for him again? Im not though cause hes on the team I've always cheered for. And the letter was no doubt PR move but he explained what he was thinking in 2010. He said he would do it differently if he could. And he seemed to umderstand it was how he left that upset us. If he wants to make it up to us, I'm all for it.

RedBlackAttack
07-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Ill be the first to admit..... I was steamed when he left. Because unlike RBA I was a fan of his. But, I was a Cavs fan more. As each year passed, the dislike got smaller but I still never rooted for Miami ever. And when it looked like there was a chance he was coming back, I asked myself am I a hypocrite if I cheer for him again? Im not though cause hes on the team I've always cheered for. And the letter was no doubt PR move but he explained what he was thinking in 2010. He said he would do it differently if he could. And he seemed to umderstand it was how he left that upset us. If he wants to make it up to us, I'm all for it.
Regardless, I think it is sort of unfair for fans of other teams to judge Cavs fans because this situation is completely insane. :oldlol:

Who could have possibly foreseen this saga unfolding this way?

J Shuttlesworth
07-11-2014, 09:57 PM

Love does provide elite rebounding and spreads the floor very well for a C/PF. I think it would be a better fit than Melo

ZHAKIDD532
07-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Melo doesn't want to play in Cleveland. Most players don't.