PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Fans: Is Lebron allowed to leave again after he completes his goal?

navy
07-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Let's say Lebron signs a 3-5 year deal and wins a title or two in that span. Would you be mad if he decided to leave again after completing his task of bringing a chip to Cleveland?

FrobeShaw
07-12-2014, 03:22 PM
He'd be in his twilight years. Why leave again? For a chance to ride some other superstar to some more rings?

Kukoc
07-12-2014, 03:22 PM
No. But I honestly dont hope he does.
I hope he ends his career in Cleveland.

I rather have 2 rings and him retire in Cleveland, than 3 rings and him leaving again.

Meticode
07-12-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't know what's going to happen. I can only hope he retires a Cavalier. Whether the Cavaliers win a championship here or not, it's not as important to that area as him admitting and understanding how important he is to that area and the community. It's bigger than basketball.

Kukoc
07-12-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't know what's going to happen. I can only hope he retires a Cavalier. Whether the Cavaliers win a championship here or not, it's not as important to this area as him admitting and understanding how important he is to that area and the community. It's bigger than basketball.

So true. Well said.

DaSeba5
07-12-2014, 03:25 PM
At this point I would be shocked if he ever leaves again.

RedBlackAttack
07-12-2014, 03:27 PM
For purposes of legacy, his best case scenario is finishing his career here. But, he's certainly free to do whatever he wants to do. Not sure anyone would argue with that. I would recommend against a "Decision" style exit though... for the good of his own brand and reputation.

What a PR disaster that was. What was he thinking. :oldlol:

navy
07-12-2014, 03:29 PM
He'd be in his twilight years. Why leave again? For a chance to ride some other superstar to some more rings?
Various reasons. He hates the new coach,bad management, players suck, chance to get a ridiculous contract, or too add more rings to his legacy because he can still contribute. :confusedshrug:

BigTicket
07-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Yes, I would be upset if he left again, but then I don't see why he would.

I want him to retire as a Cavalier, and so does he.

imdaman99
What if he leaves after 3 years and not winning a championship to join forces with Durant?

Because that is more likely than him leaving after winning a couple n Cleveland...

navy
For purposes of legacy, his best case scenario is finishing his career here. :
More rings = better legacy. History remembers winners. THe feel good return will only do some much to Lebron's legacy. It will even hurt it if the Cavs never actually contend with him back. :confusedshrug:

Meticode
07-12-2014, 03:33 PM
For purposes of legacy, his best case scenario is finishing his career here. But, he's certainly free to do whatever he wants to do. Not sure anyone would argue with that. I would recommend against a "Decision" style exit though... for the good of his own brand and reputation.

I'm really interested in seeing what he has to say in his first sit-down interview with whoever after he comes back to the states.

I'm sure he's just relaxing right now in Brazil. I can't imagine the stress he's had the last couple of months. Failing in the Finals, looking exhausted and completely spent. Then this comes up and he's tussling in his mind if he wants to long-term move his career back home or stay in South Beach.

Meticode
07-12-2014, 03:34 PM
More rings = better legacy. History remembers winners. THe feel good return will only do some much to Lebron's legacy. It will even hurt it if the Cavs never actually contend with him back. :confusedshrug:
In terms of basketball history legacy will be highly dependent on rings. In terms of community and city legacy he will be GOAT in the area he was born and grew up in.

navy
07-12-2014, 03:39 PM
In terms of basketball history legacy will be highly dependent on rings. In terms of community and city legacy he will be GOAT in the area he was born and grew up in.
Let's be honest, he already is. :confusedshrug:

NuggetsFan
07-12-2014, 03:41 PM

I mean technically not a PR disaster, outside of Cleveland anyways. It was a MASSIVE moment in sports that'll never be forgotten. It's not like it killed his popularity or was even a running joke outside of basketball msgboards. It was ridiculous and will be viewed as a mistake forever but publicity is publicity. How many viewers did that even get? That was a pure entertainment/brand move, nothing to do with basketball/being liked. Play the bad guy, win rings, come home and be forgiven :oldlol:

Now he comes back, apologizes and is once again loved in Cleveland and Miami isn't even that upset it seems. Talk about good business. Dunno who is pulling the strings behind his career but you couldn't write a better script.

I think he finishes in Cleveland too. Probably was always going to go back, Miami failing + Cleveland having some decent talent just sped the process up. Leaving would be stupid now. Dude's career has been pretty crazy. Coming in outta HS with all that hype, the decision being one of the craziest things in sports, coming back home turning into a massive ordeal, now winning in Cleveland/retiring to cap it off.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-12-2014, 03:42 PM
lets see how long of a deal he signs. do you think it would be the reported 2 year max or the full 4 year max. if its the 2 year variety we will know what his intentions really are.

NuggetsFan
07-12-2014, 03:43 PM

Yeah. I actually think LeBron coming back was pretty genuine, but he knows how to sell it and after the things he's said/his choice he's staying in Cleveland for life. No reason for him to leave at 34 to chase more rings.

navy
07-12-2014, 03:51 PM
lets see how long of a deal he signs. do you think it would be the reported 2 year max or the full 4 year max. if its the 2 year variety we will know what his intentions really are.
Im thinking 4 years, player option the third.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Im thinking 4 years, player option the third.
LeCommitment

RedBlackAttack
07-12-2014, 03:56 PM
All rings are not created equal. One in Cleveland is worth three in Miami, depending on how our roster shakes out.

Beyond that, players who spend their careers bouncing around the league are judged on a different scale from those who spend 20 years in one place. The journey to a title can be more important than the end result. That is something that has been lost a bit with this current generation of fans and players, imo.

And I don't think it is something that can be denied. If the guy in your avatar had thrown his arms up after the 1990 season and joined the Lakers, Pistons or Trailblazers, he would not be looked at the same way as he is today regardless of his ring count. The fact that he had such large hurdles that he eventually overcame added enormously to his legacy.

I don't know if James cares about legacy or any of that, but it is interesting to think about. FWIW, I think he has the opportunity to add to his legacy back in Cleveland in a way that isn't possible anywhere else.

bballnoob1192
07-12-2014, 04:04 PM
if he stays he will literally own cleveland. if he wants to he could run for political office and shit like that after he retires. easily mayor lebron james. lmfao that would be hilarious

navy
07-12-2014, 04:06 PM
All rings are not created equal. One in Cleveland is worth three in Miami, depending on how our roster shakes out.

Beyond that, players who spend their careers bouncing around the league are judged on a different scale from those who spend 20 years in one place. The journey to a title can be more important than the end result. That is something that has been lost a bit with this current generation of fans and players, imo.

And I don't think it is something that can be denied. If the guy in your avatar had thrown his arms up after the 1990 season and joined the Lakers, Pistons or Trailblazers, he would not be looked at the same way as he is today regardless of his ring count. The fact that he had such large hurdles that he eventually overcame added enormously to his legacy.

I don't know if James cares about legacy or any of that, but it is interesting to think about. FWIW, I think he has the opportunity to add to his legacy back in Cleveland in a way that isn't possible anywhere else.

This honestly just isnt true. The feel good story only last for so long. The championships last forever and cant be taken away from. Lebron 5-6 rings and 5-6 FMVPS team hopping will be much higher ranked than Lebron with 2-3 rings on the Cavs and Heat.

If Michael Jordan was team hopping he would still be the GOAT as long as he ended up with the same amount of rings. Staying on the Bulls isnt what makes it great. Winning as the man is.

Players with notable team changes: Shaq, Wilt, Kareem

Accolades arent diminished because they changed teams, they are diminished for not winning enough. That is as long as you are a relevant part to winning obviously.

Meticode
07-12-2014, 04:07 PM
This honestly just isnt true. The feel good story only last for so long. The championships last forever and cant be taken away from. Lebron 5-6 rings and 5-6 FMVPS team hopping will be much higher ranked than Lebron with 2-3 rings on the Cavs and Heat.

Accolades arent diminished because they changed teams, they are diminished for not winning enough. That is as long as you are a relevant part to winning obviously.
He'll probably get ranked higher, but he won't get more respect. #respect

Meticode
07-12-2014, 04:08 PM
if he stays he will literally own cleveland. if he wants to he could run for political office and shit like that after he retires. easily mayor lebron james. lmfao that would be hilarious
I wouldn't' be surprised. I could see him having a high position in the Cavaliers organization

RedBlackAttack
07-12-2014, 04:20 PM

If Michael Jordan was team hopping he would still be the GOAT as long as he ended up with the same amount of rings. Staying on the Bulls isnt what makes it great. Winning as the man is.

I just simply could not disagree more. Maybe it is a generational thing, but skipping around to join assorted glorified All-Star teams in 10 different NBA cities is not worthy of much respect.

Rings in general have become massively over-valued as the be-all, end-all barometer when comparing players. The journey still matters. The circumstances still matter.

DonDadda59
07-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if he sets up his deal so that he has the option to leave in the Summer of 2016. I know it was mentioned several times that 'flexibility' in his contract was key for him.

So enjoy him while you can (again) Cavs fans/Newly converted Heatles :cheers:

Kingwillball
07-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Lebron will 98% never leave again. Only way I see it happen is after 4 years Cavs won nothing and he has a chance to part of new super team somewhere else to grab another Ring or two for Legacy. With that said I see him winning a Chip or two with Cavs in that time.

navy
07-12-2014, 04:30 PM
I just simply could not disagree more. Maybe it is a generational thing, but skipping around to join assorted glorified All-Star teams in 10 different NBA cities is not worthy of much respect.

Rings in general have become massively over-valued as the be-all, end-all barometer when comparing players. The journey still matters. The circumstances still matter.

Difference of opinion I guess.

Staying on teams has never been beneficial to me. I cant help but think of all the great players that wasted their careers on teams incapable of getting it done only to be forgotten in history for their more blinged out counter parts.

As long as you are winning as a first option or playing like a great second option? It is absolutely. How can you take away from a player like Shaq because he ditched the Magic, or Kareem because he won a majority of his rings as a Laker with Magic Johnson? If you are playing like a Superstar/star and winning? Location and Journey is irreverent in the long run. Getting it done though? Last forever in the history books.

dubeta
07-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Imagine lebron leaves in 4 years to team up with peak Anthony Davis

Davis carries lebron to a 3 peat, lol kobe stans wouldnt be able to say anything :oldlol:

lilgodfather1
07-12-2014, 04:38 PM
His best contract is going to be 3 year, with a 4th year player option. That way at 32 he will still get a 5 year max contract, to take him into the twilight years.

If he doesn't sign at least a 3 year contract, Cleveland won't have his Bird rights.

dreamwarrior
07-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I think it'd be hilarious if there was a decision 3.0 with him saying "I'm coming home to Miami".

Kvnzhangyay
07-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Wtf does "allowed to" mean. Last time I checked slavery wasn't legal in the US for quite a while

hawkfan
07-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Let's say Lebron signs a 3-5 year deal and wins a title or two in that span. Would you be mad if he decided to leave again after completing his task of bringing a chip to Cleveland?

Go back to Miami.
Complete the circle.

LBJFTW
07-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Let's be honest, he already is. :confusedshrug:

That title belongs to Jim Brown still. What has Lebron ever won Cleveland now after being in the league 11 years?

francesco totti
07-12-2014, 05:43 PM
he would lose any respect there is as competitor...

i mean he is selling this as returning home, altho i think it has more to do with cavs being better from here on then the heat...

at least many are buying the stor... if he leaves again, whats the new story?:D

NumberSix
07-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I'll admit, to us he doesn't mean the same thing that he does to the Cleveland area. Not saying he means less to us. Just means something different.

He doesn't mean anything to my community's economic interest or anything.

navy
07-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Two year contract. :oldlol:

Meticode
07-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Two year contract. :oldlol:
:sleeping

navy
07-12-2014, 06:06 PM
:sleeping
Lebron back to the Heat after 2016. He promised yall 1 ring. He promised us 8. :oldlol: