PDA

View Full Version : Hornets sign Marvin Williams for 2 yrs 14 mill

D-Rose
07-12-2014, 07:29 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo 47s
Marvin Williams get two year, $14 million deal with Hornets, source tells Yahoo

Going back to North Carolina! Good pick up...really like that team's direction.

Meticode
07-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Marvin Williams $7 million. Trevor Ariza $8 million? :biggums:

TheMarkMadsen
07-12-2014, 07:31 PM
7 mil per year??

beastee
Nice that they didn't lock him up for too long. 2/10 woulda been better, but it is better than paying Heyward that albatross.

Fudge
7 mill :roll: :roll:

Smook A.
07-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Wow this deal just made Ariza look like a HUGE steal.

7 million for a guy who just averaged 9/5 is a little too much. To me, Marvin Williams is worth around 5 million a year.

Derka
07-12-2014, 07:35 PM
These owners, man...

MisterAmazing
overpay ALL the players

To4
WHY??! MARVIN sucks!!!

D-Rose
07-12-2014, 07:36 PM
The fact that it's 2 years makes overpaying here more acceptable IMO than what the likes of Meeks and Ariza got.

fatboy11
07-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Didn't get paid any more than he made last year...

atljonesbro
07-12-2014, 08:18 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ProfessorMurder
07-12-2014, 08:21 PM
People complaining about a 2 year deal? Get through one year as a stopgap from missing out on Hayward, then he's a good trade piece.

fatboy11
07-12-2014, 08:24 PM
People complaining about a 2 year deal? Get through one year as a stopgap from missing out on Hayward, then he's a good trade piece.

Just let these idiots play with their emoticons and act like the jackasses they are. They aren't going to get it.

noob cake
07-12-2014, 08:26 PM
7m/year for a 9/5 bench player who doesn't even play great defense.

Only excusable if the second year is team option.

absalom
07-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Is marvin williams already a full time PF? Could he hold the PF position before Zeller and Vonleh take over?

atljonesbro
07-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Just let these idiots play with their emoticons and act like the jackasses they are. They aren't going to get it.

Yeah, paying someone who averaged 9/5 7m i perfectly ok. I just "don't get it". You could get a FAR better player for 2 year 14 mill than Williams. Williams is worth about 2 mill a year. That's all you should be paying for him in any scenario.

MellowYellow
07-12-2014, 09:40 PM
A storm is comin guys, ain't nobody takin paycuts and role players getting big payouts.

fsvr54
07-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Nicest dude in the nba, he could be great but just doesn't have the drive

ZenMaster
07-12-2014, 09:46 PM
These owners, man...

Salary cap goes up and up and up.... Maximum contracts do not.

RoTM
07-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Should have just brought back Douglas Roberts.

fatboy11
07-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah, paying someone who averaged 9/5 7m i perfectly ok. I just "don't get it". You could get a FAR better player for 2 year 14 mill than Williams. Williams is worth about 2 mill a year. That's all you should be paying for him in any scenario.

How do you know?

Who did they not try to sign that they could have?

What free agents are getting 2 million a year right now?? Older players like Mike Miller and Vince Carter are getting like 4 million per. Josh McRoberts is getting over 5 million. You have no concept of how the market or the cap works if you think that someone like Marvin Williams is worth no more than 2 million dollars a year. That's insane.

No one is saying it's "perfectly okay." What I'm saying is that it's par for the course. I see him worth somewhere around 4 or 5 million as a player, but players don't get paid based on their true value as a player. That's not how the market or free agency works in the NBA. So, no, you clearly don't get it. It's obvious.

irondarts
07-12-2014, 11:17 PM
It's only a 2 year deal. Not a big deal. Not like they're giving him 7 Million for 4 or 5 seasons.

Shit, Jordan Hill just got a 2 Year/18 Million Dollar Deal.

Fact is, if you want a player to take a short term contract you've gotta give them more AAV.

wally_world
07-12-2014, 11:44 PM
This is why you go to a good school :lol

RoundMoundOfReb
07-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Not a great deal but only 2 years...not a franchise crippler

veilside23
07-13-2014, 04:04 AM
ah the millions... i wonder why people react so much as if its a big deal.. players get paid simple...

hawksdogsbraves
07-13-2014, 04:07 AM
I've watched Marvin play as much or more than anyone on this forum, and I can say without a doubt he doesn't deserve anywhere near $7mil/yr at this point.

Fatboy can make all the excuses he wants, but this is a bad contract. It may not matter because the Hornets have a lot of space, but Marvin is complete garbage at this point, you're better off giving his minutes to MKG and Vonleh as forwards and just letting them gut out some experience. Marvin is going to be worse than replacement level.

GimmeThat
07-13-2014, 04:32 AM
7m/year for a 9/5 bench player who doesn't even play great defense.

Only excusable if the second year is team option.

5 rebounds per 25 minutes isn't bad at all at the 3 position.
I don't think his defense is bad, he's definitely a bruiser even though he isn't nessecarily big in size.

they should look into the possibility of turning him into Artest/World Peace at this stage of his career.

fatboy11
07-13-2014, 04:58 AM
I've watched Marvin play as much or more than anyone on this forum, and I can say without a doubt he doesn't deserve anywhere near $7mil/yr at this point.

Fatboy can make all the excuses he wants, but this is a bad contract. It may not matter because the Hornets have a lot of space, but Marvin is complete garbage at this point, you're better off giving his minutes to MKG and Vonleh as forwards and just letting them gut out some experience. Marvin is going to be worse than replacement level.

Your opinion couldn't possibly be trusted because there's no possible way you aren't bitter that he didn't come any where near living up to how good Deron Williams and Chris Paul were.

Charlotte is no longer in a position to "gut out some experience" with young players. They're a playoff team now and they want to keep it that way. I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams start over MKG and produce more than what he did in Utah last year.

scott0326
07-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Would much rather have Pierce for 6 Million/year than Marvin Williams for 7 million/year. Glad wizards passed on this dude

07-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Marvin is a UNC alumnus. He totally gets the benefit of the doubt.

bdreason
07-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Game changer.

bdreason
07-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Now they have 3 average SF's. :applause:

WallIn
07-13-2014, 06:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItIb3nDGAPY

Legend continues

Richesly
07-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Biggest disappointment ever. Guy was supposed to be what KD is today. Sad he never fulfilled his potential.

I hate the fact he didn't turn out a great player, but he is still a good role player but 7m a year? He made that in Atlanta lol.

GimmeThat
07-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Biggest disappointment ever. Guy was supposed to be what KD is today. Sad he never fulfilled his potential.

I hate the fact he didn't turn out a great player, but he is still a good role player but 7m a year? He made that in Atlanta lol.

Danny Granger is probably the only SF from that draft class that ended up being better than him.

I wonder if the Hawks even had a plan for him when they drafted him originally, besides knowing him as the really athletic freshman on that UNC National Squad.

Richesly
07-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Danny Granger is probably the only SF from that draft class that ended up being better than him.

I wonder if the Hawks even had a plan for him when they drafted him originally, besides knowing him as the really athletic freshman on that UNC National Squad.

At the time, everyone knew he was really raw but even then was still a good player. He averaged 10 points starting for the Hawks and was expected to have a breakout season in 1 or 2 years... and it never happened. I am ridiculously disappointed in him. He had decent work ethic. I think he just didnt want to be the best, and settled for mediocre.

He was a tall, lean SF just like KD. He had a style of him as well. Marvin was a spectacular spot up shooter for the hawks and a good shooter off the dribble. Great defensive presence, lacked hustle though. I don't know what went wrong. Maybe the terrible coaching staff at the time ruined him? Dude had so much potential. Could've been the top 5 player in the league.

No other Hawk busts had potential like him. Another player that had amazing talent was DeMarr Johnson. Sadly, he had a lower IQ than Josh Smith. Guy was straight retarded on the court.

Xiao Yao You
07-13-2014, 02:03 PM
:cheers:

Thank you Bobcats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ballup
07-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Now they have 3 average SF's. :applause:
Average is a too kind of a rating for those guys.

HomieWeMajor
07-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Poor man's James worthy

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Wow this deal just made Ariza look like a HUGE steal.

7 million for a guy who just averaged 9/5 is a little too much. To me, Marvin Williams is worth around 5 million a year.

More like vet minimum or China.

Is marvin williams already a full time PF? Could he hold the PF position before Zeller and Vonleh take over?

He was last year for the worst team in the west. Not sure that's what you want for competing in the Least though?

5 rebounds per 25 minutes isn't bad at all at the 3 position.
I don't think his defense is bad, he's definitely a bruiser even though he isn't nessecarily big in size.

He played almost exclusively at the 4 last year though. He was better there than he was at the 3 the previous year. The biggest difference was probably the departure of Al. Now they are reunited! Expect injuries and inconsistency for your 7 million.

hawkfan
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Marvin is overpaid, but he is still a better shooter than Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Gerald Henderson. Which says something about how bad a shooting team Charlotte is.

To4
07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Marvin sucks so bad.. a dleague player is better than him

GimmeThat
07-14-2014, 09:51 AM
He played almost exclusively at the 4 last year though. He was better there than he was at the 3 the previous year. The biggest difference was probably the departure of Al. Now they are reunited! Expect injuries and inconsistency for your 7 million.

he's probably nothing special in terms of 3s.
but having him to guard the 3 and give your team the ability to keep another PF can be valuable.

him playing the 4 shows you how much of a defensive presence he is. When you think that it was Hayward playing the 3 majority of the time.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2014, 11:55 AM
he's probably nothing special in terms of 3s.
but having him to guard the 3 and give your team the ability to keep another PF can be valuable.

him playing the 4 shows you how much of a defensive presence he is. When you think that it was Hayward playing the 3 majority of the time.

Hayward was considered the starting 2 with Jefferson at the 3.

GimmeThat
07-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Hayward was considered the starting 2 with Jefferson at the 3.

so they needed a big guard in order to play Marvin Williams at the 4.

however you'd like to look at it.