PDA

View Full Version : why did pau take basically the same money to go to bulls instead of spurs?

STATUTORY
07-13-2014, 11:24 AM
guaranteed championship with spurs next 2 years

Im so nba'd out
07-13-2014, 11:25 AM
East

D-Rose
07-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Presumably a bigger role, starting spot.

I'd have guessed Spurs if I had to...but love the Bulls fit :applause:

CoastalRyan
07-13-2014, 11:34 AM
I have no idea how the conversations went but the Spurs have always been reluctant to guarantee anyone minutes or a position as a starter. That has a tendency to rub people the wrong way. Although I would have seen Gasol starting in SA I'm not sure they would have promised it.

I'm also pretty sure he's getting more than the MLE in Chicago which was all SA was willing to offer.

All this time later I still haven't figured out why SA isn't a more favorable destination for some.

Belinelli was the last guy who had bigger offers on the table and outright stated that he'd be crazy to not take an opportunity to play in SA, and it paid off.

fiddy
07-13-2014, 11:35 AM
East
this

KobesFinger
07-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Did we get anything in return? Boozer?

Cactus-Sack
07-13-2014, 11:36 AM
In SA he would've been the 4th big. Duncan, Diaw, Splitter>> at this point.

STATUTORY
07-13-2014, 11:38 AM
he's notgonna win anything with the bulls

that team has 2nd round flamout written all over it. and thats assuming rose comes back healthy

OnFire
07-13-2014, 11:40 AM
East

Do you think players care about EAST? You still have to go and beat the WEST champ... Logic would seem to be opposite... EAST WEAK, join best west team. Not east weak, let me join one of those weak teams so i can get stomped by the west champ.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Doesn't make sense, Pau wanting to start imo. Guy can't stay healthy over long periods of time.

GimmeThat
07-13-2014, 11:43 AM
because Noah would pass him the ball

Boris Diaw would literally intercept every pass Duncan throws at Gasol

D-Rose
07-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Did we get anything in return? Boozer?

nope, it's a straight FA signing.

Doesn't make sense, Pau wanting to start imo. Guy can't stay healthy over long periods of time.

Gasol is going to play less than 30 mins easy. Rotation of Noah, Gasol, Mirotic, Gibson, McDermott is deep.

robert de niro
07-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Do you think players care about EAST? You still have to go and beat the WEST champ... Logic would seem to be opposite... EAST WEAK, join best west team. Not east weak, let me join one of those weak teams so i can get stomped by the west champ.
that's still just one team, the east is like a vacation trip for an old man with bad legs compared to the west

leopoldstotch
07-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Gasol probably wants a bigger role with his new team. Not like he would enjoy the Spurs system, but I think he feels he can make an impact with the Bulls.

That and he is in the East (finally)

magictricked
07-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Pau is done. He's has been a mess the last two seasons.

Haymaker
07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Spurs would've limited his minutes but the problem is Thibs will gas him out by mid season.

D-Rose
07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Spurs would've limited his minutes but the problem is Thibs will gas him out by mid season.
Again, the front court is crowded. Noah, Gibson, Mirotic, McDermott, and Gasol. Lots of minutes to go around.

pastis
07-13-2014, 12:47 PM
with pau, bulls are looking stronger in thev offense. east next year will be more interesting.

cleveland: full of nice picks, lebron, maybe love
heat: bosh, wade
indiana
bulls
wizards

Haymaker
07-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Again, the front court is crowded. Noah, Gibson, Mirotic, McDermott, and Gasol. Lots of minutes to go around.
You're right but Thibs don't like spreading the minutes around. He plays his starters to the ground. I might be wrong though, I hope it works out.

Macho Grande
07-13-2014, 12:51 PM
By all accounts, Pau is really close with his brother Marc. I think a big part of his decision was that he just wanted to avoid playing playing on a team that will probably be knocking his brother's team out of the playoffs for the next couple of years.

poido123
07-13-2014, 12:53 PM
guaranteed championship with spurs next 2 years

The Spanish connection with Mirotic would have something to do with it. Plus I think it's a slightly easier path through the east to make finals.

poido123
07-13-2014, 12:55 PM

Love gibson, but he needs to go.

If we can address our weak backcourt rotation and trade away one or two power forwards, that would be ideal.

GimmeThat
07-13-2014, 01:21 PM
if they reduce his minutes

will that give him less reasons not to work out?

poido123
07-13-2014, 01:33 PM
if they reduce his minutes

will that give him less reasons not to work out?

:oldlol:

Well, I put his conditioning issues last year down to motivation on a lottery team.

And yes, thibs should most definitely limit his minutes. 25 mins a game is plenty. We have have a throng of power forwards, we could utilize Bairstow a bit if we used our roster to its full potential.

Rameek
07-13-2014, 01:35 PM

Who is on the bench? Taj or Noah? Thought they wanted Booze gone to give Taj a bigger role?

STATUTORY
07-13-2014, 01:40 PM
The Spanish connection with Mirotic would have something to do with it. Plus I think it's a slightly easier path through the east to make finals.

they not beating the heat man

Nets fan 93
07-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Who is on the bench? Taj or Noah? Thought they wanted Booze gone to give Taj a bigger role?
Definitely not Noah. #4 in the MVP ranking