PDA

View Full Version : Chalmers re-signs with Miami for 2 years

BallsOut
07-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Just reported in summer league game. 2 year deal. More details to come.

SpaceJammeR
07-13-2014, 06:15 PM
fk i hate rio. but the way shabazz is playing rio is better right now as a starter.

rio, wade, deng, mcbob, and bosh.

not too bad being in the east. 6th seed at worst.

Droid101
07-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Think he'll take back number 6 that he let bran borrow the last four years?

plowking
07-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Shit.

Why not just let him walk? He doesn't belong on an NBA roster ffs...

J Shuttlesworth
07-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Shit.

Seriously. You can have Shabazz/Wade run point. Heat are still running Bosh at the C.. they need a center so they can put Bosh at his true position. They should have ditched chalmers and gotten a real center.

Deng was a good pick up though

navy
07-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Seriously. You can have Shabazz/Wade run point. Heat are still running Bosh at the C.. they need a center so they can put Bosh at his true position. They should have ditched chalmers and gotten a real center.

There are no good centers. :no:

Hamilton has to improve.

Inferno
07-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Cole - Napier - Chalmers
Wade - ?
Deng - Granger
Bosh - McRoberts
?

navy
07-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Cole -Napier - Chalmers
Wade - Ennis
Deng - Granger
McRoberts-Haslem
Bosh-Hamilton
fixed

BallsOut
07-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Shit.

Chalmers has been vastly underrated on this board. The Heat have gotten to 4 straight NBA finals with him as their starting PG.

PG: Chalmers | Cole | Napier
SG: Wade | Allen
SF: Deng | Granger | Ennis
PF: Bosh | Haslem
C: McRoberts | Hamilton

Still feel like they are missing one more insurance big. Resigning Birdman would be good for them.

Inferno
07-13-2014, 06:25 PM
fixed

Bosh still at C though? :coleman:

navy
07-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Bosh still at C though? :coleman:
For 120 million, he better play it damn well. :oldlol:

J Shuttlesworth
07-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Chalmers has been vastly underrated on this board. The Heat have gotten to 4 straight NBA finals with him as their starting PG.

PG: Chalmers | Cole | Napier
SG: Wade | Allen
SF: Deng | Granger | Ennis
PF: Bosh | Haslem
C: McRoberts | Hamilton

Still feel like they are missing one more insurance big. Resigning Birdman would be good for them.
McRoberts at center, really?

They're gonna get abused on the glass again

BallsOut
07-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Mario Chalmers is returning to the Miami Heat on a two-year deal, sources tell ESPN

It's official.

BallsOut
07-13-2014, 06:29 PM
McRoberts at center, really?

They're gonna get abused on the glass again

McRoberts is 6'10. He's a good fit at Center to compliment Bosh because he's a bruiser and not afraid to get dirty. Remember what he did to Lebron last year in the playoffs?

jrong
07-13-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm ok if the choice was between Rio and no center. I'd rather get another big, because small ball won't work anymore.

navy
07-13-2014, 06:34 PM
McRoberts is 6'10. He's a good fit at Center to compliment Bosh because he's a bruiser and not afraid to get dirty. Remember what he did to Lebron last year in the playoffs?
He's not really 6'10.

SwishSquared
07-13-2014, 06:47 PM
There are no good centers. :no:

Hamilton has to improve.
Instead of Deng, they could have pursued a Monroe S&T. I believe Monroe's PER when playing C alongside Josh Smith at PF was in the low 20s (read that a couple months ago, not sure where I found it). Granted, not best indicator, but I'm pretty sure he can play better next to Bosh than he can next to JSmoove. They overpaid Bosh, may as well overpay an up-and-coming post player in Monroe too. He's not good defensively, but he can't guard 4s. I think he's a C in today's NBA. Probably would be a little more motivated playing on a perennial playoff team in Miami than on a squad in Detroit trying to just make the playoffs.

Not too go off on a tangent, but I think you can perhaps obtain better value for $10M than Deng (though Riley still got him at a discount, which in itself is a feat) with Morrow (especially if Wade misses 20-25 games again next year), Aminu (mentioned in another thread, but Lowe said he was like 7th best defensive SF last year according to 1 metric), and PJ Tucker. I know Phoenix re-signed Tucker, but he's a better 3 pt shooter, has less mileage, and is cheaper than Deng. Deng's more skilled on offense and longer defensively, but Tucker/Morrow/Aminu would roughly cost $10M. No guarantee you can get all 3 (especially Tucker since he was RFA) and sometimes replacing a player by committee is a mistake, but I think it could have worked in this scenario.

Chalmers was awful in Finals, but there are not too many better options considering their cap situation out there, right? Plus, he's familiar with what they run. Not sure what Wade & Haslem will sign for, but that likely kills any hope for a big man like Monroe. W/O LBJ, this team may want to adjust playing style some since it's unlikely they can play at a high pace. Spacing floor has been key for them, but getting legit starting C with offensive skills could have been a good look.

DaSeba5
07-13-2014, 06:51 PM
I think Cole is a goner because Napier is a cheaper option.

2swift4u
07-13-2014, 06:52 PM
:facepalm with good reason no other team was interested in Chalmers but Miami resigns him nevertheless :facepalm :facepalm now I don't even feel sorry for them anymore...

sweggeh
07-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Why only two years? Miami looking to clear space in case Lebron is a free agent again?

SwishSquared
07-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Why only two years? Miami looking to clear space in case Lebron is a free agent again?
I think they want to have as clean of a cap sheet as they can going into a year in which the salary cap should be somewhat significantly higher than it is right now.

jrong
07-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Instead of Deng, they could have pursued a Monroe S&T. I believe Monroe's PER when playing C alongside Josh Smith at PF was in the low 20s (read that a couple months ago, not sure where I found it). Granted, not best indicator, but I'm pretty sure he can play better next to Bosh than he can next to JSmoove. They overpaid Bosh, may as well overpay an up-and-coming post player in Monroe too. He's not good defensively, but he can't guard 4s. I think he's a C in today's NBA. Probably would be a little more motivated playing on a perennial playoff team in Miami than on a squad in Detroit trying to just make the playoffs.

Not too go off on a tangent, but I think you can perhaps obtain better value for $10M than Deng (though Riley still got him at a discount, which in itself is a feat) with Morrow (especially if Wade misses 20-25 games again next year), Aminu (mentioned in another thread, but Lowe said he was like 7th best defensive SF last year according to 1 metric), and PJ Tucker. I know Phoenix re-signed Tucker, but he's a better 3 pt shooter, has less mileage, and is cheaper than Deng. Deng's more skilled on offense and longer defensively, but Tucker/Morrow/Aminu would roughly cost $10M. No guarantee you can get all 3 (especially Tucker since he was RFA) and sometimes replacing a player by committee is a mistake, but I think it could have worked in this scenario.

Chalmers was awful in Finals, but there are not too many better options considering their cap situation out there, right? Plus, he's familiar with what they run. Not sure what Wade & Haslem will sign for, but that likely kills any hope for a big man like Monroe. W/O LBJ, this team may want to adjust playing style some since it's unlikely they can play at a high pace. Spacing floor has been key for them, but getting legit starting C with offensive skills could have been a good look.

What is their cap situation exactly? Are you saying they're probably done making moves other than the obvious re-signings?

navy
07-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Instead of Deng, they could have pursued a Monroe S&T.
They have nothing to offer for him.

HomieWeMajor
07-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Looks like Rio will be getting his jersey retired in Miami

SwishSquared
07-13-2014, 07:14 PM
They have nothing to offer for him.
Pistons looking to offer him 5 years, $60M. Offering $63M/4 years with 15% trade kicker and player option for year 4 would have Pistons paying Smith/Jennings/Monroe/Meeks like $41-43M to miss the playoffs next season. And that would be the case roughly for next 2 seasons, excluding annual raises in contract(s). They could have sent a lightly-protected 2017 pick and multiple seconds and Pistons would get a huge TPE. Heck, toss in Napier if they'd want. Their PG situation isn't ideal, though I do like DinWiddie.

Detroit has incentive to keep him, but clogging up that much money on 4/5 of your likely starting 5 and likely being in lotto next season doesn't bode well for them. They can afford it, but what's the point. They can use picks and the large TPE to pull off some moves. Those are assets. Not awesome ones, but that's something.

I'm not saying they could have gotten him, but they should have tried.

navy
07-13-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm not saying they could have gotten him, but they should have tried.

I disagree. He isnt worth it. Bosh just needs to man the fvck up.

SwishSquared
07-13-2014, 07:19 PM
What is their cap situation exactly? Are you saying they're probably done making moves other than the obvious re-signings?
I'm not too sure, but it basically hinges on what Wade & Haslem sign for. If we assume McRoberts and Granger were signed using the MLE & BAE (deals happened to be for the same dollar amounts as these exceptions), respectively, then that means they're operating over the cap. If not, maybe Chalmers, Wade, and Haslem are returning for less money annually and they have other potential moves in mind. They do have 2 small trade exceptions left, I think, although one may have expired by now.

jrong
07-13-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm not too sure, but it basically hinges on what Wade & Haslem sign for. If we assume McRoberts and Granger were signed using the MLE & BAE (deals happened to be for the same dollar amounts as these exceptions), respectively, then that means they're operating over the cap. If not, maybe Chalmers, Wade, and Haslem are returning for less money annually and they have other potential moves in mind. They do have 2 small trade exceptions left, I think, although one may have expired by now.

That's why I'm not mad at LeBron for costing Wade money. Wade was always going to take less to help the team. He wants to win.

ProfessorMurder
07-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Think he'll take back number 6 that he let bran borrow the last four years?

Would be hilarious.

SwishSquared
07-13-2014, 07:25 PM
I disagree. He isnt worth it. Bosh just needs to man the fvck up.
I guess we'll agree to disagree then. He's not worth a max deal, but neither is Bosh worth a 5 year max. I'm basically thinking Bosh needs a bigger guy playing next to him in starting line-up for next 5 years. Didn't he only play like 32-33mpg and he still got tossed around by some opposing Cs? I'm betting he won't do what you want him to do. He's not built to bang and with LBJ gone maybe playing smallball shouldn't be their default offense. With personnel changes, perhaps a change in playing style should be considered (that's all I'm saying). I don't think you can count on Birdman/Haslem/Hamilton to compensate for him against larger frontlines as he ages.

Just thinking that if you overpay Bosh and (likely) Wade, why not try to instill youth and more post play on this squad. Trying to the same small ball approach with Deng & McRoberts gives you worse wing offense/defense and a better stretch 4 (in regards to LBJ & Battier last year). Some of those holes that were covered by James may get exposed this year.

Do you think MIA wants a run at a C next year? I don't think they can clear enough $ for a dude like Marc Gasol, though he'd be a perfect fit imo.

G-train
07-13-2014, 07:27 PM

Napier can't run the point, Chalmers will be the starting point guard.

Starting line-up IMO as it stands (presuming Wade re-signs)

Chalmers
Wade
Deng
McRoberts
Bosh

They may bring Beasley and Oden back for depth yet as well.

Genaro
07-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Heat should go after a big. Okafor would be good for them costing little money.