PDA

View Full Version : McDermott

TiagoSimoes
07-13-2014, 10:11 PM
great game, 31 pts 7-12 5-9 from 3pt.

seems a bit 1-dimensional, but boy can he score

russwest0
07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
it's not like he didn't still dominate in college when matched up vs nba level length and athleticism

at worst case scenario he's still a guy who can shoot 40% from deep.

his offensive game is much better than being just a 3pt shooter though.

chocolatethunder
07-13-2014, 10:18 PM

He may not be a defensive stud, but his game is far from one dimensional. He can post, shoot deep and shoot midrange. He sees the floor well and is a good passer. He is excellent without the ball. He's not gonna be a perennial all star but he's no bum by any means.

CHi1PriDe
07-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Nice thing is, he's 2nd in free throws made in college. I'd like to see him start at the 3 :applause:

stalkerforlife
07-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Nice thing is, he's 2nd in free throws made in college. I'd like to see him start at the 3 :applause:

That should be a no brainer, but Thibs is so damn stubborn.

turnaroundJ
07-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Is the guy not confident in himself or is he just messing with us?

He compares himself to Wally Szczerbiak and Kyle Korver, but it seems like he can do much better.

stalkerforlife
07-13-2014, 11:23 PM

He compares himself to Wally Szczerbiak and Kyle Korver, but it seems like he can do much better.

Those guys are great role players, but McBuckets is just trolling.

turnaroundJ
07-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Those guys are great role players, but McBuckets is just trolling.

Exactly, they're great, but I think he should aim higher.

hawksdogsbraves
07-13-2014, 11:30 PM
it's not like he didn't still dominate in college when matched up vs nba level length and athleticism

at worst case scenario he's still a guy who can shoot 40% from deep.

his offensive game is much better than being just a 3pt shooter though.

He was a great college player for sure, but nba level length and athleticism WAS what people said gave him trouble. That's kind of an obvious point though.

I remember against Baylor when they lost in the tournament in particular he was bothered by some real athletic defenders.

That being said though I think he'll fill his role well. The Bulls desperately needed shooters.

Also Wally Szerbiack is who he always compares himself to and I think it's good comp. Remember Wally had some 19ppg seasons and even made an All-Star game. 19/4/4 on good percentages seems like a pretty good ceiling for Dougie McBuckets.

NugzFan
07-13-2014, 11:35 PM

Very 1 dimensional. I don't think he did anything but shoot 3s. Maybe 2 dribbles all night?

But damn he can shoot.

NugzFan
07-13-2014, 11:36 PM

I definitely see Korver.

Kellogs4toniee
07-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Two way responsibility right now. It's on Bulls management (Thibodeau) and leadership (Noah / Rose) to mentor and train this kid the right way. It's also on McDermott himself to condition himself so he can run screens and play hard very similar to how players like Allen, Reddick, and Hayward manage to succeed in this league.

McDermott has a great skillset, and the confidence. We've seen how other great white college players (Hayward, Reddick, Parsons) have managed to succeed in this league. I am confident McDermott will be starting and contributing as one of the key rotation players on the Bulls by the end of this upcoming season.

We are a Bulls team that has desperately needed shooting the last couple seasons. As a fan I am very excited.

stalkerforlife
07-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Very 1 dimensional. I don't think he did anything but shoot 3s. Maybe 2 dribbles all night?

But damn he can shoot.

You'd be a horrible NBA scout.

He showed his post game as well as attacking off the dribble and getting to the line for 12 free throws.

NugzFan
07-13-2014, 11:42 PM
You'd be a horrible NBA scout.

He showed his post game as well as attacking off the dribble and getting to the line for 12 free throws.

Lol. No he didn't. Not in today's game at least. I admit I didn't see game 1

At least half of those fts were off fouls on 3 pt shots. He didn't rebound , pass, drive, play d, etc...

But like I said, the one thing he does, he does very well.

NugzFan
07-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Just checked the box.

27 min: 3 rebounds, assists, steals and blocks

Combined

barkleynash
07-14-2014, 12:35 AM
This bulls team is very good.
rose, heinrich
butler, Dunleavy
Mcdermitt, Mirotic
pau, taj, mirotic
noah, pau

Great 9 man rotation. Could be the team to beat in the east. If rose is healthy.

Warners0
07-14-2014, 12:56 AM
He was a great college player for sure, but nba level length and athleticism WAS what people said gave him trouble. That's kind of an obvious point though.

I remember against Baylor when they lost in the tournament in particular he was bothered by some real athletic defenders.

That being said though I think he'll fill his role well. The Bulls desperately needed shooters.

Also Wally Szerbiack is who he always compares himself to and I think it's good comp. Remember Wally had some 19ppg seasons and even made an All-Star game. 19/4/4 on good percentages seems like a pretty good ceiling for Dougie McBuckets.

Baylor gave a lot of teams trouble

zoom17
07-14-2014, 12:58 AM
This bulls team is very good.
rose, heinrich
butler, Dunleavy
Mcdermitt, Mirotic
pau, taj, mirotic
noah, pau

Great 9 man rotation. Could be the team to beat in the east. If rose is healthy.

that's a big if.

poido123
07-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Just checked the box.

Combined

Are players supposed to show defense in summer League? :oldlol:

Comon man, stop pretending like you know all about Doug mcdermott :oldlol:

NugzFan
07-14-2014, 01:25 AM
Are players supposed to show defense in summer League? :oldlol:

Comon man, stop pretending like you know all about Doug mcdermott :oldlol:

Defense in summer league? Uh yeah. They should be trying. I would be pissed if my guys weren't working hard on defense.

He looked a lot like Korver today. And that's not an insult.

hawksdogsbraves
07-14-2014, 01:30 AM
Baylor gave a lot of teams trouble

I know, that's my point. They had some long, athletic perimeter guys and that's what you're going to see night in and night out in the league.

CHi1PriDe
07-15-2014, 11:53 PM
http://youtu.be/WL1mszkoHfs

If he doesn't win SL MVP than i dont know who would :cheers:

nathanjizzle
07-15-2014, 11:56 PM
micky D's will prove he should have been a top 5 prospect.

CHi1PriDe
07-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Can't even imagine the UC chanting "Dougie" if thibs don't play him. He needs to start, Rose will love playing with him :applause:

NattyPButter
07-16-2014, 12:01 AM
see something wrong with that Bulls team. Only Rose can create his own shot.

christian1923
07-16-2014, 12:14 AM
:applause: yes ! Basketball needs an American white boy star hooper

UK2K
07-16-2014, 12:21 AM

That's why I said he should have been a top 8 pick, especially for those teams who don't have any scoring.

surprised he fell as far as he did, but he's white, and Adam Morrison messed up everything forevermore.

(e)
07-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Just checked the box.

Combined
First I'll say, it's just summer league.

Game 1: 2/8, 2/5 from 3, 3/4 FT. 10 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 4 to, 1 foul
Game 2: 7/12, 5/9 from 3, 12/12 FT. 31 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast, 2 to, 1 blk, 1 foul
Game 3: 7/13, 4/7 from 3, 2/2 FT. 20 pts, 5 reb, 6 ast, 2 to, 0 fouls

His first game he looked a little off - game seemed a little fast to him as he made a few mistakes. He even mentioned being a little nervous as it was his first pro experience. Still shot the 3 ball well and was able to do some other things well - moved ball to set teammates up and helped on the boards.

Game 2 he blew up obviously. Got to the free throw line a bunch, some were from being fouled on a 3, but getting 18 free throws in 3 games shows he can get to the line. He did it all the time in college too.

Game 3 was his most complete game. Displayed some great passing ability, showed off his shot and helped on the glass.

One thing he hasn't done is fouled. A lot of times in summer league you see players getting a ton of fouls because the game is too fast for them - or they just can't stop people from getting by them. Hasn't been the case for McDermott. For someone that supposedly had a bunch of people questioning his ability to defend, he's looked solid on that end of the floor.

He's giving up some open looks due to not rotating quickly enough which would be his main knock defensively, but I still remember him locking Gary Harris down a few times. One sticks out, solid close out and contest on a Harris jumper, ends up beating him down the floor for a dunk on the other end.

The 3 ball is clearly his bread and butter, but he's more versatile scorer than he's getting credit for. Has great off ball movement, has shown a solid ability to pass the ball. He was even drawing double teams in the Twolves game - did a great job of finding the open man quickly. Runs the floor really well, finds his spots. Very high IQ player. Seems to have great energy on the court - you can tell this isn't "work" for him.

The Wally comparison is fair IMO. I've seen him say he's taken things from Dirk and Paul Pierce as well. If you watch any of his Creighton games/highlights, you'll see the Dirk fade quite a bit from the post. McBuckets is going to surprise some people - great addition for the Bulls.

UK2K
07-16-2014, 12:29 AM
First I'll say, it's just summer league.

Game 1: 2/8, 2/5 from 3, 3/4 FT. 10 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 4 to, 1 foul
Game 2: 7/12, 5/9 from 3, 12/12 FT. 31 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast, 2 to, 1 blk, 1 foul
Game 3: 7/13, 4/7 from 3, 2/2 FT. 20 pts, 5 reb, 6 ast, 2 to, 0 fouls

His first game he looked a little off - game seemed a little fast to him as he made a few mistakes. He even mentioned being a little nervous as it was his first pro experience. Still shot the 3 ball well and was able to do some other things well - moved ball to set teammates up and helped on the boards.

Game 2 he blew up obviously. Got to the free throw line a bunch, some were from being fouled on a 3, but getting 18 free throws in 3 games shows he can get to the line. He did it all the time in college too.

Game 3 was his most complete game. Displayed some great passing ability, showed off his shot and helped on the glass.

One thing he hasn't done is fouled. A lot of times in summer league you see players getting a ton of fouls because the game is too fast for them - or they just can't stop people from getting by them. Hasn't been the case for McDermott. For someone that supposedly had a bunch of people questioning his ability to defend, he's looked solid on that end of the floor.

He's giving up some open looks due to not rotating quickly enough which would be his main knock defensively, but I still remember him locking Gary Harris down a few times. One sticks out, solid close out and contest on a Harris jumper, ends up beating him down the floor for a dunk on the other end.

The 3 ball is clearly his bread and butter, but he's more versatile scorer than he's getting credit for. Has great off ball movement, has shown a solid ability to pass the ball. He was even drawing double teams in the Twolves game - did a great job of finding the open man quickly. Runs the floor really well, finds his spots. Very high IQ player. Seems to have great energy on the court - you can tell this isn't "work" for him.

The Wally comparison is fair IMO. I've seen him say he's taken things from Dirk and Paul Pierce as well. If you watch any of his Creighton games/highlights, you'll see the Dirk fade quite a bit from the post. McBuckets is going to surprise some people - great addition for the Bulls.
If you watched his college game, he came back for his senior year to work with his dad (who was his coach) to improve his defense, and he did. Dude got the fundamentals down, and with a little S&C he will be solid on defense. He can score in a variety of ways and his size and deep, deep, deep range will make him a nightmare to cover.

I watch far more college than NBA, and the dude tore it up all season, and the season before that, but the improvements in his game from his junior to senior year was obvious.

Bulls got a steal with this one.

(e)
07-16-2014, 12:43 AM
If you watched his college game, he came back for his senior year to work with his dad (who was his coach) to improve his defense, and he did. Dude got the fundamentals down, and with a little S&C he will be solid on defense. He can score in a variety of ways and his size and deep, deep, deep range will make him a nightmare to cover.

I watch far more college than NBA, and the dude tore it up all season, and the season before that, but the improvements in his game from his junior to senior year was obvious.

Bulls got a steal with this one.
Watched him quite a bit his senior season, but not a whole lot prior - so I wouldn't of noticed the things he really improved on.

I've been surprised with his defense though (at least compared to what everyone was knocking him for). His positioning has been pretty good. The only thing knock is he's been late on some rotations giving up open 3 pointers, but he isn't really getting killed off the bounce.

He also played against bigs in college correct? Wasn't really playing against wing guys on the perimeter - so there has to be some adjustment there.

I know it's kind of a cop out since he's also a Bull - but nobody really praises Mike Dunleavy for being a good defender, but he's a great team defender. Usually in the right positions and always at least making guys shoot over the top of him - seems like McDermott should be similar in that aspect.

UK2K
07-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Watched him quite a bit his senior season, but not a whole lot prior - so I wouldn't of noticed the things he really improved on.

I've been surprised with his defense though (at least compared to what everyone was knocking him for). His positioning has been pretty good. The only thing knock is he's been late on some rotations giving up open 3 pointers, but he isn't really getting killed off the bounce.

He also played against bigs in college correct? Wasn't really playing against wing guys on the perimeter - so there has to be some adjustment there.

I know it's kind of a cop out since he's also a Bull - but nobody really praises Mike Dunleavy for being a good defender, but he's a great team defender. Usually in the right positions and always at least making guys shoot over the top of him - seems like McDermott should be similar in that aspect.

He played PF mostly, but slid to SF some depending on match ups.

Like I said, with a professional S&C staff, he can improve on his lateral quickness if the fundamentals are already in place.

The biggest thing with him, that I think most people take for granted, is he was Creighton's only offensive threat. He averaged 27ppg, while the next best scorer on the team averaged 11 (those were the only two players in double digit scoring), so he was constantly double and triple teamed almost every time down the floor. Despite all that, he still managed to shoot 53% from the floor and 45% from deep.

Dude is a baller. He has a high basketball IQ, and at 6'8" he has the size to shoot over some SF's and the speed to get around the rest. Best part is, when he gets fouled, he'll just go to the line and shoot 87% from there too. His rebounds will always be there (he's got that rebounding 'vision' that can't be taught), and for a dude who had the ball in his hands 80% of the time and the constant pressure and traps he faced, 2 TO per game seems like nothing, hence the high IQ.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-16-2014, 01:06 AM
McDermott's (the coach) system relies on ball movement and team play. So while he was the "only" scoring option, it wasn't like what TJ Warren had to deal with based on what I watched last season.

And McDermott did struggle against NBA length. Baylor, North Carolina, Duke...

I like him as a prospect, tho. He's not just a shooter. You watched him last year and he moves very well off the ball, obviously can shoot, and he makes ridiculously contested shots with ease. Granted, there is a difference between shooting over some Seton Hall wing and Paul George, but he has shown to have very promising shot making ability along with his overall shooting. He has a fire lit under him as well. The mental makeup is there.

I think he's a good bench scorer for a contending team, but he could probably be a mid-high teen, high percentage, player in the right system. I think he landed in a good spot.

MavsPoke
07-16-2014, 01:11 AM
There is always a place in the league for a guy that can shoot/score. He will have a long NBA career. Will he be an all-star...nobody knows. But every team needs a guy with his skills. He'll always be cashing a paycheck. Just don't know how big it is right now.

GimmeThat
07-16-2014, 01:21 AM
that 3-10 area is probably a determing factor as to whether or not he could have a decent career in the NBA.

UK2K
07-16-2014, 01:23 AM
McDermott's (the coach) system relies on ball movement and team play. So while he was the "only" scoring option, it wasn't like what TJ Warren had to deal with based on what I watched last season.

And McDermott did struggle against NBA length. Baylor, North Carolina, Duke...

I like him as a prospect, tho. He's not just a shooter. You watched him last year and he moves very well off the ball, obviously can shoot, and he makes ridiculously contested shots with ease. Granted, there is a difference between shooting over some Seton Hall wing and Paul George, but he has shown to have very promising shot making ability along with his overall shooting. He has a fire lit under him as well. The mental makeup is there.

I think he's a good bench scorer for a contending team, but he could probably be a mid-high teen, high percentage, player in the right system. I think he landed in a good spot.
He played Duke as a junior, and he had damn near half his team's points.

He played UNC as a sophomore and had twice as many points as anyone on his team.

He played Baylor as a senior in the most recent tourney, and while he did have 15 points on 50% shooting, that game was a massacre. It was ugly from the start.

If you want to defend him, length and athleticism is the way to go, but his senior year the dude has become nearly unstoppable on offense. He was doubled as soon as he crossed half court.

I just see him and imagine him coming off a Noah screen for a catch and shoot. You run him along the baseline to the corner off a screen and he'll average 30 points a game.

UK2K
07-16-2014, 01:33 AM
that 3-10 area is probably a determing factor as to whether or not he could have a decent career in the NBA.
http://www.shotanalytics.com/2014/06/23/draft-scouting-doug-mcdermott/

A few things to note, and why he will be a success in the NBA.

~ He shot 71% in the paint.
~ His scoring is balanced. While his mid-range %'s are lower than his 3pt %'s, it's because his deep game was a product of the pick and pop or coming off screens. Still, he has the ability to knock down the mid-range shot, and if you watch him play, he mastered the Dirk fade away.
~ He doesn't shoot much from the corners. You could see it as a negative, but I see it as him staying in the middle of the floor, active, and not slinking off waiting for the ball to come to him.

Hes only limited by what he can do defensively, so landing on a team like Chicago that can teach him how to 'blend in' and play team defense... He'll be an all-star in 4-5 years. Yes, I said that.

S13M
07-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Summer league. Freaking Tyrus Thomas has the 3rd highest PER ever.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsMRbUXCQAAC4oU.jpg:large

SHAQisGOAT
07-16-2014, 02:41 AM
:applause: yes ! Basketball needs an American white boy star hooper

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/178/files/2014/05/kevin-love.jpg

S13M
07-16-2014, 03:47 AM
NBA needs a white American star who has been to the playoffs.

East_Stone_Ya
07-16-2014, 03:48 AM
Mike Miller vol.2

raprap
07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Wally world

poido123
07-16-2014, 09:02 AM
He played PF mostly, but slid to SF some depending on match ups.

Like I said, with a professional S&C staff, he can improve on his lateral quickness if the fundamentals are already in place.

The biggest thing with him, that I think most people take for granted, is he was Creighton's only offensive threat. He averaged 27ppg, while the next best scorer on the team averaged 11 (those were the only two players in double digit scoring), so he was constantly double and triple teamed almost every time down the floor. Despite all that, he still managed to shoot 53% from the floor and 45% from deep.

Dude is a baller. He has a high basketball IQ, and at 6'8" he has the size to shoot over some SF's and the speed to get around the rest. Best part is, when he gets fouled, he'll just go to the line and shoot 87% from there too. His rebounds will always be there (he's got that rebounding 'vision' that can't be taught), and for a dude who had the ball in his hands 80% of the time and the constant pressure and traps he faced, 2 TO per game seems like nothing, hence the high IQ.

A great post.

Repped my man :cheers: