PDA

View Full Version : Morey loses it.

R.I.P.
07-14-2014, 10:31 AM
In order to defend himself he threw his whole team under the bus.

We needed Ariza cause Harden is shit on defense. :roll:

...and a few other gems.

Beastmode88
07-14-2014, 10:36 AM

...and a few other gems.

Not a lie tho. :confusedshrug:

Take Your Lumps
07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
I wonder how long it takes for Dwight to start sulking next season.

oh the horror
07-14-2014, 10:40 AM

...and a few other gems.

Was this actually said? If so, wow.

07-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Link to OP claim?

CavaliersFTW
07-14-2014, 01:59 PM
link?

chips93
07-14-2014, 02:16 PM
is this what op is refering to?

http://www.csnhouston.com/basketball-houston-rockets/talk/daryl-morey-it-was-tough-weekend

Dr. Ice
07-14-2014, 02:35 PM
People should be banned when they make claims like this without a link to go with it.

alanLA92
07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Honestly I'm not shocked. He has a habit of getting hot players in FA and then trade them.because they don't get HOU the same numbers. Gets stuff done yes but loves to trade/sign players a little too much.

kentatm
07-14-2014, 02:37 PM
"The structure of that (Parsons contract) is one of the most untradeable structures I've ever seen. That's why it came down to a bet of Harden, Howard, Parsons being the final piece because we would have had no ability to do anything after that. Harden, Howard, Parsons could have been good enough. I think Parsons is a tremendous player and I think he'll keep getting better. But It really comes down to is it better with that core or is it better with (Trevor) Ariza, plus the hundreds of moves that might be able to upgrade us in the other scenario. That core was going to have to be the core we had, because if we ever wanted to go after a different core, it wasn't going to be possible."

So he is basically saying here that he only wanted Parsons to trade him in the future.

Not the best way to lay the groundwork for players to be willing to take a hometown discount.

Meticode
07-14-2014, 02:38 PM
From this...

http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-15476-194774/i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

To this...

http://jaymiek.acagamic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/I-have-no-idea-what-Im-doing-dog.jpg

KungFuJoe
07-14-2014, 02:41 PM
And LOL at Houston fans blindly following Morey like he was the God of GMs. Him and McFail treat players like pawns...it's no wonder that no one wants to play for them and people are happy to leave.

kshutts1
07-14-2014, 02:43 PM
So he is basically saying here that he only wanted Parsons to trade him in the future.

Not the best way to lay the groundwork for players to be willing to take a hometown discount.
Did we read the same thing? Out of that I got that Morey weighed the possibility of a future trade when considering whether or not to match. Not that he WOULD trade, but that he weighed the possibility. I'm 100% sure that that's a GM doing a fabulous job; one that is doing his due diligence. Can't assume the player and the team will be constant, year in and year out. Need to consider the likelihood, and ease with which, a deal may have to be made.

kentatm
07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Did we read the same thing? Out of that I got that Morey weighed the possibility of a future trade when considering whether or not to match. Not that he WOULD trade, but that he weighed the possibility. I'm 100% sure that that's a GM doing a fabulous job; one that is doing his due diligence. Can't assume the player and the team will be constant, year in and year out. Need to consider the likelihood, and ease with which, a deal may have to be made.

the deal is only 3 years long.

if he was that worried about it being untradable he was clearly thinking about moving Parsons in the near future.

Meticode
07-14-2014, 02:47 PM
And LOL at Houston fans blindly following Morey like he was the God of GMs. Him and McFail treat players like pawns...it's no wonder that no one wants to play for them and people are happy to leave.
I think McHale is the reason Bosh didn't go to Houston. Just speculating. Everything said that he was going to Houston if LeBron didn't come back. Houston put their trade through for Lin and everything pointed at Bosh coming to Houston. Bosh reportedly met with McHale, then a day or two later he went to Miami. I think Bosh saw the money Miami re-offered him and saw McHale had no idea what he's doing with that team.

tontoz
07-14-2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah there's no way a free agent would come back there after playing there previously. Oh wait....

kentatm
07-14-2014, 02:54 PM
I think McHale is the reason Bosh didn't go to Houston. Just speculating. Everything said that he was going to Houston if LeBron didn't come back. Houston put their trade through for Lin and everything pointed at Bosh coming to Houston. Bosh reportedly met with McHale, then a day or two later he went to Miami. I think Bosh saw the money Miami re-offered him and saw McHale had no idea what he's doing with that team.

Bosh stayed in Miami for the $$$ and promise of being a more prominently featured player.

He doesn't get money from endorsements like Bron and Wade so he cant take the financial hit and make it up via Nike $$$. He also would have been the 3rd wheel at best in Houston while in Miami he will be #2 option at worst and likely the top dog if Wade continues his physical issues.

Meticode
07-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Bosh stayed in Miami for the $$$ and promise of being a more prominently featured player.

He doesn't get money from endorsements like Bron and Wade so he cant take the financial hit and make it up via Nike $$$. He also would have been the 3rd wheel at best in Houston while in Miami he will be #2 option at worst and likely the top dog if Wade continues his physical issues.
I don't doubt that. I also feel he met with McHale and felt like he had no clue what he was doing. :lol Like I said, just my own speculation.

ImKobe
Morey basically replaced Parsons & Lin (+ 1st rd pick) with Ariza, I'd be mad too.

kshutts1
the deal is only 3 years long.

if he was that worried about it being untradable he was clearly thinking about moving Parsons in the near future.
And I applaud him for that. Every single player in the league should be available for trade if the right deal came along. So every single deal should be signed with the understanding that there may be a time and place when you want/are willing to move it.

The possibility of trading the deal shouldn't be a primary factor, but it should 100% be a factor.

kentatm
07-14-2014, 03:09 PM
And I applaud him for that. Every single player in the league should be available for trade if the right deal came along. So every single deal should be signed with the understanding that there may be a time and place when you want/are willing to move it.

The possibility of trading the deal shouldn't be a primary factor, but it should 100% be a factor.

Here is the think though, players don't like being treated like they are programmed computer avatars on NBA 2K w/no real feelings.

Long term its going to bite Morey in the ass that he seemingly treats players as if they are purely expendable commodities.

Pikachu is loyal to Ash b/c Ash has his back. The average Pokemon doesn't want to deal w/Team Rocket b/c they know they are nothing more than cannon fodder.

and sure, everyone should be available for the right price. BUT you don't say "well we didn't match b/c that stops us from trading him in the future" b/c that heavily implies said player was never really considered part of that team's future. Who the **** wants to sign w/a team that can't even publicly commit to wanting you for a mere 3 years?

Jailblazers7
07-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Kind of funny that Morey admitted to not being able to choose a plan and stick to it form more than a year or two. "I could have signed Parsons but what if I want a shiny new toy next seasons?" At some point you have to stop planning for flexibility and choose a course.

Dwight is 28 and will turn 29 during the season. He should be trying to make moves to win a championship RIGHT NOW. Not to save cap room 2 years down the line. If he thinks that Parsons simply wasn't the right player, then fine replace him with Ariza for less money. But if he really made that decision because he wouldn't be able to make a trade if he felt like it...then he needs to change his philosophy.

tontoz
07-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Kind of funny that Morey admitted to not being able to choose a plan and stick to it form more than a year or two. "I could have signed Parsons but what if I want a shiny new toy next seasons?" At some point you have to stop planning for flexibility and choose a course.

Dwight is 28 and will turn 29 during the season. He should be trying to make moves to win a championship RIGHT NOW. Not to save cap room 2 years down the line. If he thinks that Parsons simply wasn't the right player, then fine replace him with Ariza for less money. But if he really made that decision because he wouldn't be able to make a trade if he felt like it...then he needs to change his philosophy.

That is exactly what he was doing. His plan was to have Bosh AND Parsons. Miami and Dallas blew up his plan so he had to rethink everything.

I probably figured they would have no chance to add another star over the next 3 years if they matched on Parsons.

hangintheair
07-14-2014, 03:48 PM
You know who Morey need to salvage what's left this off-season.

Carlos Boozer, although his a weakness on defense but he will be complementary to Howard.

Starting Five will be 3 defensive elite and 2 gaping hole player.

Beverley
Harden
Ariza
Boozer
Howard

Jailblazers7
07-14-2014, 03:54 PM
That is exactly what he was doing. His plan was to have Bosh AND Parsons. Miami and Dallas blew up his plan so he had to rethink everything.

I probably figured they would have no chance to add another star over the next 3 years if they matched on Parsons.

I guess. Maybe he will prove me wrong but I think he is too focused on talent acquisition and not talent development. Maybe that snag Aldridge or Dragic next year and become legit contenders but I'd be leery of wasting the remaining years of Dwight's prime waiting to make the next big move.

oarabbus
07-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Here is the think though, players don't like being treated like they are programmed computer avatars on NBA 2K w/no real feelings.

Long term its going to bite Morey in the ass that he seemingly treats players as if they are purely expendable commodities.

Pikachu is loyal to Ash b/c Ash has his back. The average Pokemon doesn't want to deal w/Team Rocket b/c they know they are nothing more than cannon fodder.

and sure, everyone should be available for the right price. BUT you don't say "well we didn't match b/c that stops us from trading him in the future" b/c that heavily implies said player was never really considered part of that team's future. Who the **** wants to sign w/a team that can't even publicly commit to wanting you for a mere 3 years?

Ash = Gregg Popovich
Rockets = Team Rocket

It checks out :bowdown:

flipogb
07-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Ash = Gregg Popovich
Rockets = Team Rocket

It checks out :bowdown:

Pikachu = Duncan ?

tontoz
07-14-2014, 04:21 PM
I guess. Maybe he will prove me wrong but I think he is too focused on talent acquisition and not talent development. Maybe that snag Aldridge or Dragic next year and become legit contenders but I'd be leery of wasting the remaining years of Dwight's prime waiting to make the next big move.

Developing talent doesn't win a title. Aquiring it does.

If they got Bosh and were able to keep Parsons they would have been a legit threat to win a title next season.

tontoz
07-14-2014, 04:22 PM
You know who Morey need to salvage what's left this off-season.

Carlos Boozer, although his a weakness on defense but he will be complementary to Howard.

Starting Five will be 3 defensive elite and 2 gaping hole player.

Beverley
Harden
Ariza
Boozer
Howard

Not a bad idea. It will be interesting to see what Morey does because he is definitely not going to just sit on his hands.

They definitely need another pg.

Jailblazers7
07-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Developing talent doesn't win a title. Aquiring it does.

If they got Bosh and were able to keep Parsons they would have been a legit threat to win a title next season.

Yeah, maybe I'm being a little unfair because I just don't like Morey's grand vision and I've probably become a little too enamored with the Spurs model (prob because I'm a Sixers fan and we are trying to replicate it). He did almost have one of the best teams in the league until Riley broke the bank.

I guess I just have a slight problem with their offseason because I don't think they are contender right now and I'd hate to waste one of Dwight's remaining star caliber years. But maybe they get the missing piece due to his patience with the Ariza signing.

kentatm
07-14-2014, 04:50 PM
I just don't understand why Morey seems to be so sure getting 3 elite players is the best model to win a title.

I also wonder what his definition of elite is?

B/c aside from the Heat (and that's being generous w/Bosh), I'm not sure if many of the winners since the days of the Showtime Lakers vs the Celtics had 3 consensus elite players.

2014 Spurs - Nope. Team all the way.

2011 Mavs - Nope. Team all the way.

09/10 Lakers - Kobe... Pau and....???

08 Celtics - I guess if you still considered an old Ray Allen or young Rondo elite paired w/KG/PP

07 Spurs- Parker and Duncan were their only all stars so....

06 Heat - DWade, old Shaq and.... the refs? :lol

05 Spurs - Duncan and Manu were their only all stars

04 Pistons - pretty much the ultimate team ball NBA title winner.

03 Spurs - Duncan the only all star

00-02 Lakers - Kobe/Shaq prime years

99 Spurs - only Duncan and a very old Robinson could be called elite

96-98 Bulls - MJ, Scottie and..... Rodman?

94/95 Rockets - Hakeem and/??? in 94? Hakeem/old Drexler and ? in 95?

91-93 Bulls - MJ/Scottie P and.....?

89-90 Pistons - Isiah, Dumars, and Aguirre?

chips93
07-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Yeah, maybe I'm being a little unfair because I just don't like Morey's grand vision and I've probably become a little too enamored with the Spurs model (prob because I'm a Sixers fan and we are trying to replicate it). He did almost have one of the best teams in the league until Riley broke the bank.

isnt hinkie a big wheeler-dealer, talent acquisition guy? he worked under morey before the sixers

you guys look far more like you're trying to replicate the rockets, not the spurs

Rubio2Gasol
07-14-2014, 05:02 PM
I don't think this in particular is as big a trainwreck as it's being made out to be, but I don't like his style. He's quite obviosuly that guy that just looks at stats and tries to bring in players without actually caring to honestly assess the teams needs.

Jailblazers7
07-14-2014, 05:06 PM
isnt hinkie a big wheeler-dealer, talent acquisition guy? he worked under morey before the sixers

you guys look far more like you're trying to replicate the rockets, not the spurs

I'd say we are closer to the Spurs than Rockets. Hinkie is targeting a rebuild and is doing a lot of Spurs type things. Draft international guys and let them develop for a couple years, build a core and keep it together, put a head coach in place with job security who's goal is to develop a cohesive team, etc. Hinkie is certainly not shy about trades but he has been doing it to target young talent instead of shifting cap room around to target FAs or stars.

tontoz
07-14-2014, 05:12 PM
I just don't understand why Morey seems to be so sure getting 3 elite players is the best model to win a title.

I also wonder what his definition of elite is?

B/c aside from the Heat (and that's being generous w/Bosh), I'm not sure if many of the winners since the days of the Showtime Lakers vs the Celtics had 3 consensus elite players.

2014 Spurs - Nope. Team all the way.

2011 Mavs - Nope. Team all the way.

09/10 Lakers - Kobe... Pau and....???

08 Celtics - I guess if you still considered an old Ray Allen or young Rondo elite paired w/KG/PP

07 Spurs- Parker and Duncan were their only all stars so....

06 Heat - DWade, old Shaq and.... the refs? :lol

05 Spurs - Duncan and Manu were their only all stars

04 Pistons - pretty much the ultimate team ball NBA title winner.

03 Spurs - Duncan the only all star

00-02 Lakers - Kobe/Shaq prime years

99 Spurs - only Duncan and a very old Robinson could be called elite

96-98 Bulls - MJ, Scottie and..... Rodman?

94/95 Rockets - Hakeem and/??? in 94? Hakeem/old Drexler and ? in 95?

91-93 Bulls - MJ/Scottie P and.....?

89-90 Pistons - Isiah, Dumars, and Aguirre?

Look at the teams you are comparing the Rockets to. Most of them had at least one player better than Howard/Harden.

kentatm
07-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Look at the teams you are comparing the Rockets to. Most of them had at least one player better than Howard/Harden.

and?

that has nothing to do with trying to get 3 elite players instead of getting 2 (or just 1) and building the best possible team around them.

2 of the last 4 winners were total team efforts where they built the core, kept it together for many years, and mixed and matched around them.