PDA

View Full Version : Chandler Parsons speaks out on Morey, says he was "offended" by Rockets FA treatment.

russwest0
07-14-2014, 11:29 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-maverick-chandler-parsons-takes-offense-to-how-rockets-treated-him-during-free-agency-030411610.html

"Honestly, I was offended by the whole process," Parsons told Yahoo Sports on Monday in a phone interview. "They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that's just how they viewed me as a player. I don't think I've scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I'm ready for that role.

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that.

Lets go Morey! One round of applause for the jackass! :applause:

guy
07-14-2014, 11:36 PM
If they had just stood pat, they would be a better team right now. Instead they went after Lebron, Melo, and Bosh and then lost a really good player in Parsons and two attractive assets in Lin and Asik. They end up having to replace Parsons with a lesser player in Ariza, and basically trade Lin and Asik for basically nothing even though the intention always seemed to be to use them to get a star player. They probably got it the worst. At least a team like the Lakers that struck out in FA knew that was always a possibility. The Rockets would've literally been better off if their whole front office was on vacation the last month.

Smook A.
07-14-2014, 11:37 PM
"I'm the best recruiter in the NBA," Parsons said. "Whatever Mark and the Mavericks need, they got me to do that."

lol. He helped us get Dwight, but that's it.

"Dallas is the perfect match to where I am in my career," Parsons said. "It's where I can take that next step. They have a great organization. Mark is the best owner in all of sports. I get a chance to play with Dirk for however much longer he has. It will be unbelievable to learn and grown from him and the guys they have.

No he isn't. Robert Kraft is

Also read somewhere that Chandler says he's a star and Cuban (and Carlise) treat him like one. He's overrating him. Chandler is a good player, just not a star.

oh the horror
07-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Chandler has one awesome ego and Mark Cuban is feeding that bad boy.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-14-2014, 11:39 PM
lol. cuban fluffed up Parsons ego a bit too much. he needs to come back down to earth and reclaim his role as the glue guy. a good glue guy, but still a glue guy. hope he doesn't starts buying into all the bs and turns himself into a chucker.

zoom17
07-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Morey does to much all the time he has no patience at all.

Milbuck
07-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Rockets reputation taking hits left and right :oldlol:

This is great. More people are finally understanding how despicable that organization is. Whiffed on Melo and Bosh this offseason, which star FA's gonna shit on them next summer?

inclinerator
07-14-2014, 11:50 PM
overrated

YouGotServed
07-14-2014, 11:51 PM
He's mad because Morey was looking for a 3rd star? Does anybody outside of Dallas think Parsons is a star? lol

What an ego. Good luck in Dallas. I hope they make the playoffs.

SCdac
07-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Parsons will be 26 by the start of the season, if he becomes a "star" that'll be great for Dallas, no doubt, but it wasn't for lack of minutes and opportunity in Houston. I think what you see from Parsons is generally what you get. Played 38 minutes a game last season and 36 minutes per game the season before. He took tons of shots in his 3 seasons with Houston (900+ three point attempts) and had his hands on the ball quite a bit. Yet they never looked like true contenders with Parsons as a #1 or #2 option to Harden / Howard. In Dallas, he'll be around more experienced players in Dirk and Monta, and better coaching. Will he break out as an AS or All-NBA player? Questionable imo

SupermanOnSteroids
07-14-2014, 11:53 PM
19/6/4 max and thats if dirk and monta decline compared to last year.

chocolatethunder
07-14-2014, 11:55 PM
If they had just stood pat, they would be a better team right now. Instead they went after Lebron, Melo, and Bosh and then lost a really good player in Parsons and two attractive assets in Lin and Asik. They end up having to replace Parsons with a lesser player in Ariza, and basically trade Lin and Asik for basically nothing even though the intention always seemed to be to use them to get a star player. They probably got it the worst. At least a team like the Lakers that struck out in FA knew that was always a possibility. The Rockets would've literally been better off if their whole front office was on vacation the last month.
They had to give a pick or picks away to get someone to take Lin off of their hands. That was the market for Lin. That should tell you what kind of "attractive asset" he was.

choppermagic
07-14-2014, 11:58 PM
He's mad because Morey was looking for a 3rd star? Does anybody outside of Dallas think Parsons is a star? lol

Exactly. WHen role players think they are big stars, it usually messes up your team, so losing them is sometimes a blessing in disguise since you dont have to deal with the headaches of a role player trying to jack up shots, or demanding plays for him...

ronnymac
07-14-2014, 11:58 PM
I wish all the best in Dallas, but for half the price we just got a player who does everything he does and with a superior defensive outlook.Chandler is a young guy so he should improve. All the best to all 3 of those guys in CP, Lin and Asik.

russwest0
07-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Good luck in Dallas. I hope they make the playoffs.

Why, so they can embarass tha Rockets? :oldlol: :no:

kentatm
07-15-2014, 12:07 AM
No he isn't. Robert Kraft is

sorry but Kraft's piss poor running of the New England Revolution completely disqualifies him from being the best owner in sports.

RoTM
07-15-2014, 12:11 AM

This is great. More people are finally understanding how despicable that organization is. Whiffed on Melo and Bosh this offseason, which star FA's gonna shit on them next summer?

Morey got Parsons an extra 15 million. Calling him out after that is a pretty PoS move. Nothing to stop Parsons from taking less to stay in Houston to "be their third star" btw.

ihatetimthomas
07-15-2014, 12:34 AM
I wish all the best in Dallas, but for half the price we just got a player who does everything he does and with a superior defensive outlook.Chandler is a young guy so he should improve. All the best to all 3 of those guys in CP, Lin and Asik.

I think Parsons is much more assertive and aggressive offensively. Overall, he clearly is the superior offensive player. I think Parsons will be severely missed. I really like Ariza, but Parsons can do his thing if Harden is off, I don't think ariza can step it up offensively if he was needed.

KungFuJoe
07-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Parsons is a boss who speaks his mind. He seems like a smart guy.

It's no secret that Morey don't give a **** about his players. He shows them no loyalty...or even RESPECT. Don't expect players to show any loyalty in return.

And that's exactly why Bosh told them "nah" and Parsons said "bye bye".

ihatetimthomas
lol. He helped us get Dwight, but that's

Also read somewhere that Chandler says he's a star and Cuban (and Carlise) treat him like one. He's overrating him. Chandler is a good player, just not a star.

That's it? Only Dwight Howard? Only one of the elite players in the game and top center. I'd say it was a pretty good recruitment.

G-train
It's became apparent that Houston desire success and 'improvement' over class and respect.
They won't win a title.

Legends66NBA7
07-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Morey probably thinks about precision and retooling because he feels chemistry could lead to predictable on and off court habits. Also, didn't want to be tied down to all that money to someone he feels wasn't worth that much.

You also have to treat this players has human being too, even if you are trying to improve. You can't treat them like expendable assets, true or not.

It's a tricky game, really.

Smook A.
07-15-2014, 12:44 AM
That's it? Only Dwight Howard? Only one of the elite players in the game and top center. I'd say it was a pretty good recruitment.
Good recruiter, just not the best. I'd say the best is Dwyane Wade. He got LeBron and Bosh to come.

Smook A.
07-15-2014, 12:46 AM
1) "We're the best team in the NBA." - shortly after OT win over Portland in early March.
2) "I'm the best small forward in this series." - Batum was
3) "Mark is the best owner in all of sports." - Nope. That'd probably be Robert Kraft
4) "Carlisle's the best coach in the NBA." - Popovich is
5) "I'm the best recruiter in the NBA." - That's either Dwyane Wade or Pat Riley

What's next?

navy
07-15-2014, 12:49 AM
Parsons is overrated like crazy. I honestly think half of you **** are blinded by his looks.

cranincu
07-15-2014, 01:04 AM
you guys are crazy to think he's overated. rick carlisle coaching parsons skillset will make him look like jesus out there

navy
07-15-2014, 01:12 AM
you guys are crazy to think he's overated. rick carlisle coaching parsons skillset will make him look like jesus out there
He's not a scrub by any stretch. But 15 mill? Bye.

oarabbus
07-15-2014, 01:13 AM
He's not a scrub by any stretch. But 15 mill? Bye.

Gordon Hayward's $12m contract is overpriced, $15 for Parsons is absolutely absurd.

ihatetimthomas
07-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Good recruiter, just not the best. I'd say the best is Dwyane Wade. He got LeBron and Bosh to come.

Riley was the leading man behind forming the big 3. They wanted to play together, but Riley is the guy who sold it to Lebron.

kentatm
07-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Gordon Hayward's $12m contract is overpriced, $15 for Parsons is absolutely absurd.

Was the only way to pry him from Houston. Besides, doesn't matter that he's a bit overpaid when Dirk and Monta are on bargain deals. (though I'm fairly certain Monta will opt out looking for a raise/long term deal next summer)

noob cake
07-15-2014, 01:44 AM

And a no trade clause the first year. And apparently other structuring by Dan Feigan/Cuban to make Morey say, ""The contract (Parsons) got

backb0ard
07-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Both Harden and Dwight will be on their way out the first chance they get and Morey knows this, that's why he's chasing for the superstar that will get them their fast and easy way in to a championship.

ihatetimthomas
07-15-2014, 01:50 AM
[QUOTE=noob cake]And a no trade clause the first year. And apparently other structuring by Dan Feigan/Cuban to make Morey say, ""The contract (Parsons) got

Timmy D for MVP
07-15-2014, 02:19 AM
Handsome Chandler Parsons is feelin himself a little bit I see.

They weren't looking for a 3rd star they were looking for a 3rd superstar. If Parsons thinks he's in that group... well he'll figure it out eventually. But good for him gettin his money, going to a team that should feature him more, and going to an owner who will stroke his ego. I think he's a fantastic player. I hope he does well, and maybe he'll improve a bunch to make the Rockets look really bad.

But he has to understand the business side. He should be offended by being not on the same tier, not at the Rockets.

MUGEN
07-15-2014, 02:25 AM
Parson's has one hell of an ego doesn't he? I still remember him saying I'm the best SF in this series the last playoff matchup against my Blazers lol

navy
07-15-2014, 02:27 AM
Parson's has one hell of an ego doesn't he? I still remember him saying I'm the best SF in this series the last playoff matchup against my Blazers lol
To be honest, that's not saying much.

MUGEN
07-15-2014, 02:28 AM

well he wasn't even then

ihatetimthomas
07-15-2014, 02:32 AM

His ego has gotten him from a 2nd rounder to a starting caliber small forward on just about every team

Amar'e_Juwanna
07-15-2014, 02:59 AM
Riley was the leading man behind forming the big 3. They wanted to play together, but Riley is the guy who sold it to Lebron.

truth. Riley and Parsons can't be compared on principle of gm vs player.

I want to know what makes Parsons claim he is the best "recruiter..." I bet LeBron could convince any player, Parsons included, to follow him.

Meticode
07-15-2014, 03:00 AM
Yea, well, he gets ****ed by beautiful women and you don't. Eat that. Hell, I'd **** him.

navy
07-15-2014, 03:02 AM
Yea, well, he gets ****ed by beautiful women and you don't. Eat that. Hell, I'd **** him.
Im pretty sure he's gay. You two should be nice together.

GimmeThat
07-15-2014, 03:09 AM
I think maybe the Rockets felt that Harden as their best young player on the team gives them the best chance to compete right now.

Dwight/Harden are not nearly as savy and as poised as what the Mavs can do for a young player like Parsons.

Had they choose to retain Parsons as their 3rd star, it does set their opportunity to compete back. Unless they could get a 4th star. In which apparently Lin+Asik weren't good enough/up to the task for.

ronnymac
07-15-2014, 03:26 AM
I think Parsons is much more assertive and aggressive offensively. Overall, he clearly is the superior offensive player. I think Parsons will be severely missed. I really like Ariza, but Parsons can do his thing if Harden is off, I don't think ariza can step it up offensively if he was needed.
No one expecting him to be a major scorer. our biggest issue was, wing defense because harden, lin and Parsons are terrible defenders. Harden in particular is putrid but he can actually be good when he tries.Ariza fixes that issue. I expect Morey to be active to get another scorer as well. Ariza averaged 45% from the 3pt line as a catch and shooter and over 40% overall. That is a elite 3pt shooter to feed off James and Dwight.

He fits our needs for half the price which allows to add depth something Parsons contract would not have.

blacknapalm
07-15-2014, 03:40 AM
His ego has gotten him from a 2nd rounder to a starting caliber small forward on just about every team

i don't think ego has to be synonymous to where he's gotten. i thought he was undervalued when he was picked. he's certainly worked hard to get where he is but you can't attribute that to ego or even say it's a byproduct.

maybe it boils down to personality but contrast that to how leonard conducts himself.

in the end, he's upset that houston didn't court him as hard as dallas? that houston's first priorities were bosh and melo? of course, they would spend more time trying to get those guys.

anyway, screw all that. while the contract is a bit pricey, i think it's close to fair. dude is pretty versatile offensively with a seriously killer floater and can see over defenses. just crafty overall with pump fakes. he can also get it done in transition.

i can see parsons being an okay 2nd option/good 3rd option. the skillset is there for that much. he doesn't have the great first step/iso abilities to be much more. also needs to improve his overall shooting mechanics/consistency. for a guy his size, he also isn't good at finishing at the rim, especially through contact. he's a little soft really...get a body on him on either end. defensive potential but focus and effort aren't always there.

if tyson stays healthy, i wouldn't be surprised of dallas is a top 4 seed which is pretty good in the bloodbath of the west.

russwest0
07-15-2014, 03:44 AM
my hope is that mavs meet the spurs in the playoffs.

they'll take them out and then durant will get his revenge on dirk in the wcf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2eXPOHbGo

MUGEN
07-15-2014, 03:58 AM

I think you are confusing talent and luck with ego

comerb
07-15-2014, 04:01 AM
Parson needs a slap of reality if he thinks he's a "third star". He's a good player, but Houston isn't winning shit with his as their 3rd best player at 15 million a year.

DirkNowitzki41
07-15-2014, 04:01 AM
we'll take care of you parsons :pimp: :pimp:

tomtucker
07-15-2014, 04:16 AM
jersey sales will take care of his salary..........and will have more girls com to the games :applause: :pimp:

StephHamann
07-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Parsons was just one of six players who averaged at least 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists last season. The other six were LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Gordon Hayward and Michael Carter-Williams.

*Add a field goal percentage of 45.0 or better to the above statistical category and the list includes only James, Durant, Love and Parsons.

*In terms of rebounding and facilitating, Parsons was one of just nine players to average both 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists last season. The others were James, Durant, Love, Joakim Noah, Nicolas Batum, Lance Stephenson, Russell Westbrook and Carter-Williams.

*He's going to get paid in the ballpark of $15 million per year. Looking at small forwards who hovered around $12-15 million last season ( Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng and Paul Pierce), here's where they stack up statistically.

Iguodala: 9.3 points, 4.7 boards, 48 percent shooting & 57% True shooting -- $12.5 million
Deng: 16.0 points, 5.7 rebounds, 43% percent shooting & 52% True shooting -- $14 million
Pierce: 13.5 points, 4.6 rebounds, 45% percent shooting & 60% True shooting -- $15 million
Parsons: 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds, 47% percent shooting & 56% True shooting

:applause:

tontoz
07-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Parsons is a boss who speaks his mind. He seems like a smart guy.

It's no secret that Morey don't give a **** about his players. He shows them no loyalty...or even RESPECT. Don't expect players to show any loyalty in return.

And that's exactly why Bosh told them "nah" and Parsons said "bye bye".

:rolleyes:

Miami offered Bosh $118 million vs Houston's offer of $86 million. Pretty sure that is why Bosh stayed in Miami.

Magic731
07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Anyone who think Morey is a shit GM needs a slap in the face. Yeah he's made some bad calls but very few GMs haven't. At the end of the day this guy got the Rockets two legit stars in Harden and Howard without having to bottom out.

GimmeThat
07-15-2014, 09:00 AM
I actually expect his FG% to go down for trying to get his own shots.

where his teammates will start having better shots as a result of this.
I think by doing so, this will allow him to be on the floor closing out games and for a majority of the 4th as well.

of course, I've got no idea what Rick Carlisle is thinking.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-15-2014, 09:03 AM
2014 Ariza>2014 Parsons

Haymaker
07-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Tyson Chandler Parsons

jzek
07-15-2014, 09:08 AM
they fcked over lin too with all those melo posters :facepalm

and asik

Nick Young
07-15-2014, 09:25 AM

Maybe they will get to game 7 in the first round next year before going out:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

It's all about dem baby steps:roll: :roll: :roll:

Skyscraper
07-15-2014, 09:27 AM
This clown is just doing the same old

"I got drafted that low!! I am going to use this as motivation to prove everyone wrong."

While it's nice for motivation, why feel the need to talk about this to the world? That insecure? That mad?

Stay salty and pasty Chandler

UK2K
07-15-2014, 09:39 AM
He left because Houston didn't consider him a star.

Nobody else in the league does either except Dallas. That's how they got Parsons to sign, by telling him he's a franchise player.

UK2K
07-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Parsons was just one of six players who averaged at least 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists last season. The other six were LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Gordon Hayward and Michael Carter-Williams.

*Add a field goal percentage of 45.0 or better to the above statistical category and the list includes only James, Durant, Love and Parsons.

*In terms of rebounding and facilitating, Parsons was one of just nine players to average both 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists last season. The others were James, Durant, Love, Joakim Noah, Nicolas Batum, Lance Stephenson, Russell Westbrook and Carter-Williams.

*He's going to get paid in the ballpark of $15 million per year. Looking at small forwards who hovered around $12-15 million last season ( Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng and Paul Pierce), here's where they stack up statistically.

Iguodala: 9.3 points, 4.7 boards, 48 percent shooting & 57% True shooting -- $12.5 million
Deng: 16.0 points, 5.7 rebounds, 43% percent shooting & 52% True shooting -- $14 million
Pierce: 13.5 points, 4.6 rebounds, 45% percent shooting & 60% True shooting -- $15 million

This is one of those times where statistics can be deceiving.

Oh, and all those guys play much, much better defense than Parsons.

Thats why Ariza lit him up for 32 points when Houston played the Wizards last season.

ABfor3
07-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Parsons is full of himself...
First off Houston did him a favor, they allowed him to get paid sooner by exercising his option, he could have still been under contract for a million dollars for another year.
Secondly, he signs the offer sheet the first day he could instead of being reasonable with the Rockets and working with them because he knew what their plans were especially if he's "the best recruiter in the game".
After all if it wasn't for Kevin McHale taking a gamble on starting Parsons his rookie year over Chase Budinger and Terrence Williams then he wouldn't even be sniffing 15 million this year.
The Rockets showed nothing but respect for Parsons..sorry kid but you're not worth 15 mill a year.

backb0ard
07-15-2014, 10:33 AM
This is one of those times where statistics can be deceiving.

Oh, and all those guys play much, much better defense than Parsons.

Thats why Ariza lit him up for 32 points when Houston played the Wizards last season.
You mean this game where Ariza sank 8 threes in front of Harden's face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JpQneVP78

:lol :lol :lol

Rooster
07-15-2014, 11:03 AM
First off Houston did him a favor, they allowed him to get paid sooner by exercising his option, he could have still been under contract for a million dollars for another year.
Secondly, he signs the offer sheet the first day he could instead of being reasonable with the Rockets and working with them because he knew what their plans were especially if he's "the best recruiter in the game".
After all if it wasn't for Kevin McHale taking a gamble on starting Parsons his rookie year over Chase Budinger and Terrence Williams then he wouldn't even be sniffing 15 million this year.
The Rockets showed nothing but respect for Parsons..sorry kid but you're not worth 15 mill a year.

This:applause:

He should be grateful Houston got him paid. The only reason Dallas overpaid him is because they could not catch a big fish.

Rocketswin2013
07-15-2014, 12:34 PM
The ego on this guy. :facepalm

STATUTORY
07-15-2014, 12:42 PM
no one ever seems to have anything positive to say about the rockets regime

tontoz
07-15-2014, 12:50 PM

RIF

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that.

So this isn't positive? :confusedshrug:

KungFuJoe
07-15-2014, 12:55 PM

What positives are there to say? Horrible GM, horrible coach. Horrible superstar in Harden and their #2 guy is someone that is almost universally hated among all fans.

Players are happy to leave (Lin, Parsons) and other players are giving them the finger (Bosh, Melo).

stalkerforlife
07-15-2014, 12:57 PM
I love his confidence and willingness to take on more of a responsibility. Sad to say it, but we need more white guys playing and acting like Parsons.

He's the best looking man in the NBA, played for the best college team and college coach, and is now heading towards stardom.

@WHITEBOYSWAG

noob cake
07-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Doesn't even matter how he is viewed or treated in Houston.

He should not be bad mouthing the organization that gave him a chance at a 46m contract.

Meticode
07-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Im pretty sure he's gay. You two should be nice together.
I rest my case.

tontoz
07-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Many around the NBA widely suspect that an unofficial part of Dwight Howard signing with the Houston Rockets was for the team to accelerate the free agency of Chandler Parsons.

Howard and Parsons are both represented by Dan Fegan.

No one directly involved with the Parsons negotiations, however, would confirm it.

The Rockets could have picked up their team option on Parsons at under $1 million, but they declined it in order for him to become a restricted free agent this offseason instead of an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

Parsons signed a three-year, $46 million contract with the Dallas Mavericks that the Rockets would have matched if they had also signed Chris Bosh.

What a horrible way to treat a player, allowing him to opt out of a $1 million contract so he can sign one for $46 million.

SpecialQue
07-15-2014, 01:26 PM
On what fvcking planet is Parsons a "star"?

stalkerforlife
07-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Haters looking for the exits. :roll:

stalkerforlife
07-15-2014, 01:32 PM
On what fvcking planet is Parsons a "star"?

HurricaneKid
07-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Iggy is still among the best defenders in the NBA and was #1 in the league in RAPM (Adj +/-) last year. Most RAPM models had him a few spots lower but all had him in top 5. Makes 12.5M/

Deng is an elite defender. Off not as good as Deng. Signed a 2/20 deal. 10m/.

Pierce signed for the MLE. 2/10.6.

I actually don't have any issues with Parsons getting a 3 yr max. But A) he is a 1 way player. He is a below avg defender. And he is a #3/#4 option on his good end.

Pierce was #33 in RAPM last year, Deng was #107 and Ariza and Parsons were tied at 118/119. So the other guys in that area are getting 5.3, 8 and 10M respectively and you are paying him 15M. And he is 26 (a year older than KLove) so there isn't this majectic upside.

The problem here is that Morey, for some unknown reason, let Parsons out of his 900k contract. And Parsons, rather than being thankful that Morey allowed him to get a 46M contract when he was due less than 1M, went after him. Its ridiculous, unprofessional, and completely unnecessary.

navy
07-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Iggy is still among the best defenders in the NBA and was #1 in the league in RAPM (Adj +/-) last year. Most RAPM models had him a few spots lower but all had him in top 5. Makes 12.5M/

Deng is an elite defender. Off not as good as Deng. Signed a 2/20 deal. 10m/.

Pierce signed for the MLE. 2/10.6.

This. Im not sure what you guys are trying to say. These guys are on much more reasonable contacts than Parsons.

tontoz
07-15-2014, 01:41 PM

So what? His per game numbers are partially a result of playing 38 minutes per game, not to mention playing on a fast paced team (5th fastest in the league).

Among 3s Parsons ranks:

9th in assist rate
14th in TS%
40th in rebounding rate
14th in points per minute

Throw in mediocre defense and you have.....not a star.

RRR3
07-15-2014, 01:47 PM

None of that makes him a star. They're probably 50 better players than him

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 01:48 PM

What an ego. Good luck in Dallas. I hope they make the playoffs.

Russia 2018 will now be your tag for the next 4 years? :lol

kentatm
07-15-2014, 02:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsdSQzOCcAAB2rj.jpg

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 02:38 PM
So what? His per game numbers are partially a result of playing 38 minutes per game, not to mention playing on a fast paced team (5th fastest in the league).

Among 3s Parsons ranks:

9th in assist rate
14th in TS%
40th in rebounding rate
14th in points per minute

Throw in mediocre defense and you have.....not a star.

Yea, but he also was a distant third guy playing on a team with Harden/Howard and virtually no coaching whatsoever.

Obviously Parsons, right now, is not worth 15 million a year in a vacuum. But with the Dirk discount and rising cap the next few years. That contract actually is fine...and we are betting on him developing into a better defender (which he can for sure) and learning to take on more of a leadership role and responsibility on and off the court.

Cuban/Carlisle/Dirk could not be a better group to facilitate that for Chandler.

So I like Parsons and what he brings, but I also can't lie. I'd have much rather had the Mavs get Thomas and Ariza for the price of Parsons.

Here is a look at some of the potential lineups for us this coming year based on free agency decisions;

Harris/Felton
Ellis/Felton/Ledo
Parsons/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Smith

Thomas/Harris
Ellis/Felton
Ariza/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Smith

Thomas/Harris
Ellis/Carter/Felton
Tucker/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Smith

We still have that 2.7 million dollar exception in all 3 scenarios above.

I personally think team 2 is clearly the best team. One of the biggest weaknesses on the Mavs last year was having a guy other than Ellis/Dirk that can consistently get their own shots. Thomas would have been huge for that...he's a better defender than Calderon and a far better shot creator and penetrator. And Thomas can drop 3's from everywhere...and off the dribble. He would be huge.

Ariza plays way better defense than Parsons and is probably a bit better of a spot up shooter. He doesn't do any real playmaking, but he's not some scrub in terms of skills.

Our defense definitely gets way better with Ariza unless Parsons drastically improves in that area (again, which is possible)....

A lineup of Harris/Ellis/Ariza/Dirk/Chandler would actually be very good defensively. And Thomas/Ellis/Ariza/Dirk/Chandler would be light years better than any lineup we could have put out there last year.

So I like Parsons, but he has to be a legit star right away...and improve his defense for this to be the optimal situation. As of now...I think the Mavs really blew it and should have just gone all in on Thomas and Ariza right from the jump. And we'd still have the mini mid level...could have brought in at least one more real player.

ralph_i_el
07-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Yea, but he also was a distant third guy playing on a team with Harden/Howard and virtually no coaching whatsoever.

Obviously Parsons, right now, is not worth 15 million a year in a vacuum. But with the Dirk discount and rising cap the next few years. That contract actually is fine...and we are betting on him developing into a better defender (which he can for sure) and learning to take on more of a leadership role and responsibility on and off the court.

Cuban/Carlisle/Dirk could not be a better group to facilitate that for Chandler.

So I like Parsons and what he brings, but I also can't lie. I'd have much rather had the Mavs get Thomas and Ariza for the price of Parsons.

Here is a look at some of the potential lineups for us this coming year based on free agency decisions;

Harris/Felton
Ellis/Felton/Ledo
Parsons/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Smith

Thomas/Harris
Ellis/Felton
Ariza/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Smith

Thomas/Harris
Ellis/Carter/Felton
Tucker/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Chandler/Smith

We still have that 2.7 million dollar exception in all 3 scenarios above.

I personally think team 2 is clearly the best team. One of the biggest weaknesses on the Mavs last year was having a guy other than Ellis/Dirk that can consistently get their own shots. Thomas would have been huge for that...he's a better defender than Calderon and a far better shot creator and penetrator. And Thomas can drop 3's from everywhere...and off the dribble. He would be huge.

Ariza plays way better defense than Parsons and is probably a bit better of a spot up shooter. He doesn't do any real playmaking, but he's not some scrub in terms of skills.

Our defense definitely gets way better with Ariza unless Parsons drastically improves in that area (again, which is possible)....

A lineup of Harris/Ellis/Ariza/Dirk/Chandler would actually be very good defensively. And Thomas/Ellis/Ariza/Dirk/Chandler would be light years better than any lineup we could have put out there last year.

So I like Parsons, but he has to be a legit star right away...and improve his defense for this to be the optimal situation. As of now...I think the Mavs really blew it and should have just gone all in on Thomas and Ariza right from the jump. And we'd still have the mini mid level...could have brought in at least one more real player.

I agree with everything except when you said Ariza isn't a scrub when it comes to skills. Probably the least skilled perimeter player in the league with the ball in his hands. All he can do is spot up.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 03:30 PM
I agree with everything except when you said Ariza isn't a scrub when it comes to skills. Probably the least skilled perimeter player in the league with the ball in his hands. All he can do is spot up.

I think that is going too far personally....but we wouldn't need him to do anything but hit threes, rebound, defend, and swing the ball to the open man.

All things he can do.

UK2K
07-15-2014, 03:39 PM

He took 4 more shots per game than Howard did. Is that a 'distant third'?

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 03:52 PM
He took 4 more shots per game than Howard did. Is that a 'distant third'?

Yes, because he had very little run for him in system that really wasn't even a system.

He will have a chance to be a true focal point for the Mavs from day 1. The only question, and it's a legit one, is will he be able to handle it.

Given what we've said about Parsons and then this Dirk contract...we are clearly going to be trying to move far away from relying so heavily on Dirk in every single pick and roll and offense we do.

So he's going to be asked to do a lot more than he did in Houston. The shots are a product of playing with Howard...both Hedo and Rashard took more shots than him in 09 iirc. There is more to the responsibility side of things than simply shooting.

Like I said above, I'd rather had seen us get Thomas and Ariza...especially now that Dirk is making 8 a year. We would have still had about 3 million in cap left and the 2.7 million exception if the numbers are right.

That is the big question with parsons though. If he's ready to take on the kind of role the Mavs are talking about...then it'll be worth it. We'll find out in the coming months.

tontoz
07-15-2014, 04:06 PM
I think that is going too far personally....but we wouldn't need him to do anything but hit threes, rebound, defend, and swing the ball to the open man.

All things he can do.

Other than spotting up and straight line drives Ariza can't do much offensively. Watching him try to create off the dribble can be pretty painful.

He is very strong on D though and hits the boards.

tontoz
07-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Yes, because he had very little run for him in system that really wasn't even a system.

He will have a chance to be a true focal point for the Mavs from day 1. The only question, and it's a legit one, is will he be able to handle it.

No chance he gets more shots than Dirk or Monta. Both are proven 20+ scorers.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 04:14 PM
No chance he gets more shots than Dirk or Monta. Both are proven 20+ scorers.

It's not about just shots dude.

He is going to be asked to do more in terms of actually running plays in the half court if you buy what the Mavs are selling.

And yes...I do think he could take make shots than Dirk.

This move and the Dirk contract are signs that Dirk is going to cut his minutes down to sub 30 or perhaps sub 28 in the regular season and shoulder less of a burden offensively.

Also there are reports that we might be bidding for Boozer if he's amnestied.

Parsons will play a large role on the Mavs this year...and an amount of responsiblity that comes with that in which he hasn't seen before. If he's not asked to do that...then this signing was stupid.

UK2K
07-15-2014, 04:15 PM

Given what we've said about Parsons and then this Dirk contract...we are clearly going to be trying to move far away from relying so heavily on Dirk in every single pick and roll and offense we do.

So he's going to be asked to do a lot more than he did in Houston. The shots are a product of playing with Howard...both Hedo and Rashard took more shots than him in 09 iirc. There is more to the responsibility side of things than simply shooting.

Like I said above, I'd rather had seen us get Thomas and Ariza...especially now that Dirk is making 8 a year. We would have still had about 3 million in cap left and the 2.7 million exception if the numbers are right.

That is the big question with parsons though. If he's ready to take on the kind of role the Mavs are talking about...then it'll be worth it. We'll find out in the coming months.

Parsons only real scoring opportunities came off of plays made by Harden. Without looking at the statistics which I wouldn't know where to find, I would guess that three quarters of Parsons buckets came off a Harden drive and kick, a Harden drive and Parsons collapse, or a fast break.

To be honest, he's not very quick laterally, which probably has a lot to do with his below average defense.

I haven't seen enough of the new Monta since he went to Dallas to say whether or not he can replicate what Harden did, but he is the key to Parsons success, not Parsons.

I'm not as upset about losing Parsons now that we have Ariza as I am losing Parsons and not using the extra 17m to go after more high profile players other than Ariza (think Stephenson). Morey was being truthful when he said Parsons couldn't be the 3rd star, because he does not have the playmaking ability that a 3rd star would need. He never beat anybody off the dribble, he never 'stop and popped' for mid range jumpers. His claim to fame was his high basketball IQ but his physical limitations (namely lateral speed and agility) are what will keep him from ever becoming a 20ppg player.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Parsons only real scoring opportunities came off of plays made by Harden. Without looking at the statistics which I wouldn't know where to find, I would guess that three quarters of Parsons buckets came off a Harden drive and kick, a Harden drive and Parsons collapse, or a fast break.

To be honest, he's not very quick laterally, which probably has a lot to do with his below average defense.

I haven't seen enough of the new Monta since he went to Dallas to say whether or not he can replicate what Harden did, but he is the key to Parsons success, not Parsons.

I'm not as upset about losing Parsons now that we have Ariza as I am losing Parsons and not using the extra 17m to go after more high profile players other than Ariza (think Stephenson). Morey was being truthful when he said Parsons couldn't be the 3rd star, because he does not have the playmaking ability that a 3rd star would need. He never beat anybody off the dribble, he never 'stop and popped' for mid range jumpers. His claim to fame was his high basketball IQ but his physical limitations (namely lateral speed and agility) are what will keep him from ever becoming a 20ppg player.

Yea.

That was my point. That is why I would have rather used the money on Thomas/Ariza and potentially another player than Parsons.

I'm not sure Parsons can do the things we are going to ask him to do.

We'll see.

L.Kizzle
07-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Good, GTFU.

Batum killed your ass in the playoffs.

ihatetimthomas
07-15-2014, 04:53 PM
No one expecting him to be a major scorer. our biggest issue was, wing defense because harden, lin and Parsons are terrible defenders. Harden in particular is putrid but he can actually be good when he tries.Ariza fixes that issue. I expect Morey to be active to get another scorer as well. Ariza averaged 45% from the 3pt line as a catch and shooter and over 40% overall. That is a elite 3pt shooter to feed off James and Dwight.

He fits our needs for half the price which allows to add depth something Parsons contract would not have.

Dwight cant exactly create for himself consistently. And Harden struggled mightily in the playoffs when teams focus on him. Having a spot up shooter is nice, but you just lost the 2 other guys who can create for themselves and others and now Harden is alone. Parsons can create mismatches and really was coming into his own last season. Ariza is decent but he is what he is and he is injury prone. The money saved will not be worth what you lose on the floor.

I think you are confusing talent and luck with ego

You need to have an ego to get to where he is now, along with talent and luck.

UK2K
07-16-2014, 12:17 AM

Joshumitsu
07-16-2014, 12:29 AM
He was a little b*tch during the playoffs so it's good to see his true colors.

Rockets meltdown is great, too. They were seriously considered one of the contenders for the next 4-5 years. Now, they're out of the loop and that window is slipping.

OKC, POR, SAS are going to take the West next year.

YouGotServed
07-16-2014, 12:39 AM
He was a little b*tch during the playoffs so it's good to see his true colors.

Rockets meltdown is great, too. They were seriously considered one of the contenders for the next 4-5 years. Now, they're out of the loop and that window is slipping.

OKC, POR, SAS are going to take the We
st next year.

Portland? :kobe:

Rockets are still in the picture. Losing a role player won't stop them from contending in the future. Relax bud.

Mr Exlax
07-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Parsons isn't gonna make or break our team. Cmon people be for real. He was good. Lin was OK. Asik was cool when he was healthy. I see us getting 4th or 5th seed and losing again and then we'll get a new coach and contend for a championship.

YouGotServed
07-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Dwight cant exactly create for himself consistently. And Harden struggled mightily in the playoffs when teams focus on him. Having a spot up shooter is nice, but you just lost the 2 other guys who can create for themselves and others and now Harden is alone. Parsons can create mismatches and really was coming into his own last season. Ariza is decent but he is what he is and he is injury prone. The money saved will not be worth what you lose on the floor.

You need to have an ego to get to where he is now, along with talent and luck.

lol What is this?

Parsons can't create for himself. He excels when he runs of the floor or when someone kicks it out to him. When players don't close out right that's when his shot fake comes in play and he breaks down the defense.

You can't give him the ball and expect him to create for himself or others.

russwest0
07-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Lol Parsons was wrong. Houston doesn't need a third piece to win a championship. They need a new first and second piece.

UK2K
07-16-2014, 12:57 AM
Parsons isn't gonna make or break our team. Cmon people be for real. He was good. Lin was OK. Asik was cool when he was healthy. I see us getting 4th or 5th seed and losing again and then we'll get a new coach and contend for a championship.

Asik barely played half the season. Dude was pissed and it showed.

Losing Parsons (who couldn't create his own shot) and replacing him with a better shooter and better defender was a plus in the short term.

Just depends on what the role players look like.

I fully expect Beverly to improve. Dude has an insane work ethic, his entire career hes been slighted, so after his first season as a starter, he will come back and be twice the player he was last season. Let him work on his shot a bit, and he will be more than enough. Jones is the same way.

Like I said, depending on how the role players play, I dont see this team, at present, being much worse off than they were last season.

Magic731
07-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Seriously Parsons is definitely better than Ariza but anyone who thinks downgrading from Parsons to Ariza will make THAT much difference is seriously underrating Ariza.

GimmeThat
07-16-2014, 01:33 AM
while the series eventually went 4-3, and was really a close serie

Aldridge/Batum really took the foward position outside in, especially with Aldridge making a good amount of contested mid range shots.

With Lopez at Center.

If the Mavs played Jefferson/Parsons/Dirk as their front court, and push out their defenders out to the perimeter while having Ellis on Lillard, and Harris on Mathews.

Whichever team gets hot. It's tough to say or argue against.

Magic731
07-16-2014, 01:38 AM
while the series eventually went 4-3, and was really a close serie

Aldridge/Batum really took the foward position outside in, especially with Aldridge making a good amount of contested mid range shots.

With Lopez at Center.

If the Mavs played Jefferson/Parsons/Dirk as their front court, and push out their defenders out to the perimeter while having Ellis on Lillard, and Harris on Mathews.

Whichever team gets hot. It's tough to say or argue against.
Didn't Portland win in 6?

hawksdogsbraves
07-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Asik barely played half the season. Dude was pissed and it showed.

Losing Parsons (who couldn't create his own shot) and replacing him with a better shooter and better defender was a plus in the short term.

Just depends on what the role players look like.

I fully expect Beverly to improve. Dude has an insane work ethic, his entire career hes been slighted, so after his first season as a starter, he will come back and be twice the player he was last season. Let him work on his shot a bit, and he will be more than enough. Jones is the same way.

Like I said, depending on how the role players play, I dont see this team, at present, being much worse off than they were last season.

Asik was crucial in the playoffs for slowing down Aldridge though what with Dwight's unwillingness/inability to come out and guard him.

I like Jones, (a lot actually) and Beverly, but it's pretty clear this team got worse over the offseason.