PDA

View Full Version : Rubio's Agent Seeking Five-Year Max Contract From Wolves

dirkdiggler41
07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
The Minnesota Timberwolves and Ricky Rubio's camp have been in contact on a contract extension.

Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, is seeking a five-year max contract.

David Kahn now infamously gave Kevin Love a four-year extension in order to keep his five-year extension for Rubio. Love's future with the Wolves is now in serious doubt as he can become a free agent in 2015. If Rubio and the Wolves are unable to agree upon an extension, he would become a restricted free agent in 2015.

Flip Saunders took over for Kahn before the 13-14 NBA season. From RealGm

What is Rubio really worth?

Johnny Jones
07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
10 million ish

navy
07-15-2014, 12:18 PM
He's not a max player, but then again GMs love to overpay and then cause a lockout. Seeing as one is probably coming up soon, fvck it. Pay him.

Levity
07-15-2014, 12:22 PM
5 years, 60 mil?

with them losing love (most likely), theyll have room to afford a contract like this, while still signing other good players.

i dont know for sure, but im assuming rubio brings in the fans for minny

bagelred
07-15-2014, 12:26 PM
:roll:

Mass Debator
07-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Lol wtf. More like 5 year $40-50 million or feel free to leave. Maybe $60 because it's Minnesota though.

andremiller07
07-15-2014, 12:29 PM
I honestly think Livingston is better all around player and Rubio is on the same level as Collison tbh. You have to be a idiot to pay him max.

Dude's worth 7mil a year max he's below guys like Jeff Teague who are on 8 per season and Dragic who's like 7.5 he's not even half the player Dragic is.

Bobby13
07-15-2014, 12:33 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/Ic97mPViHEG5O/giphy.gif

BigTicket
07-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Rubio is worth $7-8M per year, but Minnesota might have to overpay him a bit because they're not a very attractive free agent destination, so maybe $10M per year.
Anything higher than that and I would just point him towards the door.

QuebecBaller
07-15-2014, 12:39 PM
If i'm not wrong, Steph Curry got 11 millions... Rubio can't ask for this much money...

RRR3
07-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Shoot 40% first and then we'll talk

JohnMax
07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Kobe-GIF.gif

chocolatethunder
07-15-2014, 12:47 PM
I think that he'll end up with $10 mil/yr. I don't think that he's worth it but I think that he'll end up with that. Very good defender and excellent passer but awful shooting. His inability to improve his jumper has hurt his game all around. If he never does that he'll just never be that good. He's def better than Livingston and certainly has more upside. Not worth $10 mil tho.

andremiller07
07-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Nick Calathes when Conley went down put up as good/better numbers on a winning team as Rubio did.......

FlawlessVictory
07-15-2014, 12:48 PM
He is worth nowhere near a max deal, but given his marketability and the inability of the twolves to attract free agents, he will get a max deal or something close from them.

andremiller07
07-15-2014, 12:48 PM
I think that he'll end up with $10 mil/yr. I don't think that he's worth it but I think that he'll end up with that. Very good defender and excellent passer but awful shooting. His inability to improve his jumper has hurt his game all around. If he never does that he'll just never be that good. He's def better than Livingston and certainly has more upside. Not worth $10 mil tho.
Really other than passing he does nothing better than Livingston, Livingston can play 3 positions as well. Livingston is bigger and more athletic as well I don't really see how Rubio is better.

tontoz
07-15-2014, 01:00 PM
With the rules the way they are now averaging 10 ppg on poor efficiency is pathetic for a starting pg.

R.I.P.
07-15-2014, 01:11 PM
10 as a player, max money for what he means to the marketing department of the franchise. Also Rubio is a bit underrated, because of the Kevin Love ****-suckery of Bill Simmons that blames every failure in Minnesota on Rubio

mentallooser
07-15-2014, 01:14 PM
If he's secretly learned to shoot then give him the max. Until then...... Not remotely.

chocolatethunder
07-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Really other than passing he does nothing better than Livingston, Livingston can play 3 positions as well. Livingston is bigger and more athletic as well I don't really see how Rubio is better.
Livingston can't shoot either and never could. He gets his buckets driving. As bad as a shooter Rubio is, he's a better 3 pt shooter. Rubio averages more assists and per 36 he's better (Livingston doesn't play as many minutes). Rubio is a better defender and quicker than Livingston. If you think that Livingston can play SG and SF then more power to you. Livingston may have been more athletic before his injury but he's not more athletic now in any way. Rubio is definitely faster than him.

andremiller07
07-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Livingston can't shoot either and never could. He gets his buckets driving. As bad as a shooter Rubio is, he's a better 3 pt shooter. Rubio averages more assists and per 36 he's better (Livingston doesn't play as many minutes). Rubio is a better defender and quicker than Livingston. If you think that Livingston can play SG and SF then more power to you. Livingston may have been more athletic before his injury but he's not more athletic now in any way. Rubio is definitely faster than him.
Did you watch Livingston this year? His mid range jumper was fairly money and at one point he was the most effective post up player in the NBA and defends everything from PG-SF while being able to operate very well without the ball and finish in traffic while Rubio can't make open lay ups.

Rubio is not even close to being a better defender than Livingston you must be thinking of the Cavs Livingston. No way Rubio right now is a better player than Livingston.

Meticode
07-15-2014, 01:21 PM
For how great Rubio is at running that team as a general, he's just as bad shooting the ball. He's not worth anywhere near a max. He's not improved at all over the last three years and his career averages are 10/8/4 on 37% FG%. Absolutely horrible offensively.

NugzFan
07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
If i'm not wrong, Steph Curry got 11 millions... Rubio can't ask for this much money...

You can't compare because players are not all paid based on rankings.

El Kabong
07-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Tell him he's dreaming. T'Wolves knew it was coming though which is why they gave Love the 4 year deal.

chocolatethunder
07-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Did you watch Livingston this year? His mid range jumper was fairly money and at one point he was the most effective post up player in the NBA and defends everything from PG-SF while being able to operate very well without the ball and finish in traffic while Rubio can't make open lay ups.

Rubio is not even close to being a better defender than Livingston you must be thinking of the Cavs Livingston. No way Rubio right now is a better player than Livingston.
Rubio shot 50.8% on layups this year and Livingston shot 43.2%. Livingston shot 36.5% on jump shots and 59.4 on post ups, and Rubio shot 26.2 on jump shots and 41% on post ups. So Rubio can make open layups yet Livingston can't. Rubio averages more steals and is faster and a better defender. Livingston isn't some stud starter. He's a guy who is a really good back up or an average starter. He was never good before his injury but you probably don't remember that.

GOBB
07-15-2014, 02:43 PM
$24mil 3yrs for Rubio. Take it or go back home.

hawksdogsbraves
07-15-2014, 03:16 PM
He's not worth more than $8mil/yr. Frankly he may not even be worth that much, but I'd be ok with that deal.

robert de niro
07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
he doesn't deserve the max but damn people downplay him so hard, rubio has the highest +/- in the team, 15th in the league, has good marketability etc, knowing that love is leaving for sure, building the team around rubio might not be as painful going forward as one might expect

Wolves w/ Love and Pek but w/o Rubio = 101.522 Points per 100 possession

Wolves w/ Rubio and Pek but w/o Love = 105.397 Points per 100 possession

Wolves w/ Rubio but w/o Love or Pek = 111.279 Points per 100 possession

Wolves w/ Rubio but w/o Love, Pek, or Martin = 112 Points per 100 possession

GOBB
07-15-2014, 03:45 PM
he doesn't deserve the max but damn people downplay him so hard, rubio has the highest +/- in the team, 15th in the league, has good marketability etc, knowing that love is leaving for sure, building the team around rubio might not be as painful going forward as one might expect

Wolves w/ Love and Pek but w/o Rubio = 101.522 Points per 100 possession

Wolves w/ Rubio and Pek but w/o Love = 105.397 Points per 100 possession

Wolves w/ Rubio but w/o Love or Pek = 111.279 Points per 100 possession

Wolves w/ Rubio but w/o Love, Pek, or Martin = 112 Points per 100 possession

Wolves ranked 27 in attendance. Perhaps relocate them overseas and market Rubio better?

hawkfan
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM
$24mil 3yrs for Rubio. Take it or go back home.

5 mil per year.

GOBB
07-15-2014, 03:54 PM
5 mil per year.

With guys like Patty Mills getting $4mil per, Meeks $6mil per? Not gonna happen bub :no:

robert de niro
07-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Wolves ranked 27 in attendance. Perhaps relocate them overseas and market Rubio better?
so i guess you agree with the rest if marketability is your only concern?

GOBB
07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
so i guess you agree with the rest if marketability is your only concern?

I dont agree with building the team around him. I do agree he is getting downplayed hard. Much has to do with the hype he had as a prospect, the delay to come here and after 3 NBA seasons? The wow factor has disappeared. Solid PG nonetheless. Happy or nah?

RoTM
07-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I'd rather have Rubio at his max than Bosh at the super max.

Meticode
07-15-2014, 04:15 PM
I'd rather have Rubio at his max than Bosh at the super max.
Unfortunate.

robert de niro
07-15-2014, 04:19 PM
I dont agree with building the team around him. I do agree he is getting downplayed hard. Much has to do with the hype he had as a prospect, the delay to come here and after 3 NBA seasons? The wow factor has disappeared. Solid PG nonetheless. Happy or nah?
wolves really have no other choice unless they land wiggins or make some crazy unexpected trades (unlikely), it's post-garnett times all over again, and building around rubio could be the only way to go for them, specially if you put rookies around him so they can at least develop well (shabazz, dieng, lavine, even wiggins if somehow that trade happens), i agree with the rest you said in this thread and the love thread though

Kblaze8855
07-15-2014, 04:22 PM
When Hayward gets a max offer.....and Parsons...why wouldnt Rubio ask?

GMs are ****ing themsleves over...might as well get in on it.

Meticode
07-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Because those players actually get buckets. I'm sorry, you don't deserve a max putting up 10/8/4 on 37% shooting. LOL

hawkfan
07-15-2014, 04:32 PM
With guys like Patty Mills getting $4mil per, Meeks $6mil per? Not gonna happen bub :no:

Stupid is as stupid does.

BigTicket
07-15-2014, 04:44 PM

Rubio is a good ballhandler, and excellent passer, but he might just be the single worst scorer among all guards in the entire league.
He's nowhere near a max player.

R.I.P.
07-15-2014, 04:48 PM

Some experts believe the cap to go to $80-90M within the next 2-3 years. Why you think all these players only sign three year deals with opt out clauses. They know in a few years that is nothing money and they can get even more.

Kblaze8855
07-15-2014, 04:49 PM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/N2JjP8ATI7s/hqdefault.jpg

"Deserve got nothing to do wit it"

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
feel like watching the wire again...

Kblaze8855
07-15-2014, 04:52 PM
There is a wire quote for most of lifes tough moments.

bagelred
07-15-2014, 05:13 PM
:roll: :roll:

HomieWeMajor
07-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Lol this guy is like Andre miller from '02. Statpadding on a crap team and Miller much better aswell.

JellyBean
07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
This could work. Heck might as well have something.

OnFire
07-15-2014, 07:00 PM
If he was worth it then the team wouldn't suck and Love would want to stay.

deja vu
07-15-2014, 08:12 PM
He's one of the best passers around and is 2nd in the league in steals.

If Minnesota doesn't give him what he wants there are plenty of other teams who will go after him.

He's also great at bringing in fans due to his exciting style of play and his good looks (no homo).

Cocaine80s
07-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Lol Lavine will take his starting spots before the all star break

ihatetimthomas
07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
I love his game, but the piss poor shooting really makes him a liability on offense at times. I do believe he can do much better on a better team with more offense but right now he is handcuffed by his shooting. max is ridic but if they dont get a deal done this season, expect teams to overpay if he has a even mild improvement in fg%.

Nastradamus
07-15-2014, 08:37 PM
28th overall in real plus/minus. His D and passing get overlooked because they aren't flashy like scoring, but they are more rare and valuable. He's worth more than guys like Teague,Lawson and Holliday. I'd say 5/60

hawksdogsbraves
07-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I love his game, but the piss poor shooting really makes him a liability on offense at times. I do believe he can do much better on a better team with more offense but right now he is handcuffed by his shooting. max is ridic but if they dont get a deal done this season, expect teams to overpay if he has a even mild improvement in fg%.

With how many good PG's are out there right now? The market for Lowry wasn't very hot at all and he's much better than Rubio. Isaiah Thomas just put up 20/6 and pretty much nobody wanted him.

PG is the deepest position in the league right now, don't expect teams to be lining up to give Rubio big money. The 'Spanish' draw isn't all that alluring.

bigt
07-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Whether you like the guy or not, why wouldn't Rubio and his agent start by seeking the 5 year max. It's simple negotiating. Whether he gets that or not remains to be seen, yes his shooting is atrocious right now but I still think he can be one of the best point guards in the league in time. Problem is, the position is stacked, so he doesn't have the leverage that a centre or two guard would have. People mad underrate him because of his shooting though

poido123
07-15-2014, 08:59 PM
5 years 60 million is my guess.

They will slightly overpay his true worth since it's minny and likely to lose love.

robert de niro
07-15-2014, 11:05 PM
from another thread, still think his shooting is awful but it's interesting

Time to inform everyone who says Rubio's issue is his shooting. That is not the case. His issues are stamina, (Which declined from the ACL), and his contact shot.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rubiori01/shooting/2014/

Everyone should take a look at his shooting splits.

http://i.imgur.com/VOz2848.png

It's worth noting that 1st quarter holds his highest %, followed by the 3rd. Obviously that has to do with the rest.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rubiori01/splits/2014/

If you then look at other splits, including month by month, you'd notice there is a steady rise in his shooting as the season progresses. Rest is another big one. With 2 days rest, he shot 49.6%, with no rest 36.6%. Not a coincidence.

Why does this happen? He was recovering from the ACL early on, and this is him increasing stamina and his ability to complete contact shots.

andremiller07
07-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Rubio shot 50.8% on layups this year and Livingston shot 43.2%. Livingston shot 36.5% on jump shots and 59.4 on post ups, and Rubio shot 26.2 on jump shots and 41% on post ups. So Rubio can make open layups yet Livingston can't. Rubio averages more steals and is faster and a better defender. Livingston isn't some stud starter. He's a guy who is a really good back up or an average starter. He was never good before his injury but you probably don't remember that.
Which is exactly what Ricky Rubio is as well, serious Nick Calathes put up similar numbers on way better %'s when starting on a team that actually won games without maybe there most important player outside of Gasol. Rubio to me is a very average starter aside from Felton, Chalmers and Beverly I can't actually think of many other starting PG's he's actually better than.

Honestly Rubio sucks imo aside from the odd flashy pass you can do a lot better than him at a much cheaper price. Was Rubio not consistantly replaced in 4th quarters as well for JJ Barea?

aboss4real24
07-15-2014, 11:12 PM
He will get the max

dude is a great PG

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-15-2014, 11:15 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sportal
07-15-2014, 11:24 PM
45m/5.

Needs to sort his shooting out, seriously...

kentatm
07-15-2014, 11:50 PM
From RealGm

Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, is seeking a five-year max contract.

https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1380413284/813519.gif

AintNoSunshine
07-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Why the fukk is everyone asking for the max? A point guard who can't shoot for shiit? If I'm the GM I don't want him anywhere near my team:facepalm

BRB negotiating for the max from my boss too.

Threethrows
07-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Why the fukk is everyone asking for the max? A point guard who can't shoot for shiit? If I'm the GM I don't want him anywhere near my team:facepalm

BRB negotiating for the max from my boss too.

Dumbass GMs hand them out to everyone, so why not ask?

Still, Rubio getting a max would be terrible.

Euroleague
07-16-2014, 12:30 AM
What is he worth?

The minimum contract.

deja vu
07-16-2014, 01:09 AM
His shooting can be improved. However his passing talents are rare so many teams would be willing to overpay him. SMH at those morons who say guys like Livingston are better than him. LOL this kid is one of the best passers and PG defenders in the league. How is that bad?

He'll be great on a contending team with plenty of offensive weapons. He might even lead the league in assists one day.

hawksdogsbraves
07-16-2014, 01:32 AM
The thing about Rubio is that he's so bad at scoring that the Wolves couldn't even have him out there down the stretch of games. It makes it too easy on the defense when you can just leave one of the other team's guards alone out on the perimeter.

It's one of the reasons they lost so many close games - a guy who was one of the best players on the team for the first 3 quarters couldn't play when they needed him most because of his skillset.

GimmeThat
07-16-2014, 02:10 AM
probably 9-11 mil. and as other posters mentioned, wouldn't be surprised if he got overpaid.

doesn't draw a lot of contacts and get to the free throw line. not a good shooter, which surprisingly enough his 3 point shot isn't that bad.

he's still 6-4

I don't think he benefited from Love's playing style much.
he's not a PG where you put shooters around, because of his inability to finish in the paint area, unlike Parker.

He could probably use some players who can set some screens for him, and really scramble in order to create some spacing or mismatch. Then a few shooters who can do the bail out shot.

baseline shots, or shots where teams would want to force the opposing point guards to take might be where he makes a killing. because after all the scramble, he might have a shot close to the basket, just not a good look at it.

joe
07-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Rubio is the type of PG that wins championships. He is a team-first player, as opposed to a me-first player. He is one of the best defensive point guards I have ever seen. He is a great passer, but not just a flashy one.. he knows to get everyone else involved. He gives people the ball in the correct spot, where they like it. He understands the game, not just Xs and Os.. but the intangible factors that lead to championships.

I like him for under the max. I want to see if he can fully recover from that injury a few years ago. But he is very underrated.

Meticode
07-16-2014, 04:47 AM
Rubio is the type of PG that wins championships. He is a team-first player, as opposed to a me-first player. He is one of the best defensive point guards I have ever seen. He is a great passer, but not just a flashy one.. he knows to get everyone else involved. He gives people the ball in the correct spot, where they like it. He understands the game, not just Xs and Os.. but the intangible factors that lead to championships.

I like him for under the max. I want to see if he can fully recover from that injury a few years ago. But he is very underrated.
You can't win championships when it's the end of the game, you don't have your legs under you and you shoot 37% from the field. You just can't. He has to improve or fix what's hurting his shot. Even just getting up to 42% would be respectable overall.

SpanishACB
07-16-2014, 04:55 AM
people are right about the shooting

but people need to remember early NBA Rubio, when people defended him like he could shoot.

I'm not sure if a max contract is enough if most of the project is based on the potential of him learning to shoot, but what I saw when he came to the league was something very close to a max contract PG, specially considering all things: his potential, his attitude, leadership, team-first mentality (so priceless in the NBA) and somewhat of a marketability for Minny.

He does need to sort himself, but he's still young and I'm sure he's ambition still hasn't run out.

GimmeThat
07-16-2014, 05:26 AM
You can't win championships when it's the end of the game, you don't have your legs under you and you shoot 37% from the field. You just can't. He has to improve or fix what's hurting his shot. Even just getting up to 42% would be respectable overall.

he didn't even play that many minutes last season.

maybe he is still recovering from his injury.
but his benefit is definitely the fact that he's 6-4. meaning he doesn't nessecarily need to elevate much if he's just got enough spacing against a player who doesn't have some ridiculous wingspan.

I'll agree with the 42% part. That's a number I can live with on his Crunch statistics because if he can't get it out to a shooter for a 3. shooting under 40% for a 2 can't be helping your team much.

East_Stone_Ya
07-16-2014, 05:57 AM
def not max lol

ihatetimthomas
07-16-2014, 03:31 PM
With how many good PG's are out there right now? The market for Lowry wasn't very hot at all and he's much better than Rubio. Isaiah Thomas just put up 20/6 and pretty much nobody wanted him.

PG is the deepest position in the league right now, don't expect teams to be lining up to give Rubio big money. The 'Spanish' draw isn't all that alluring.

The market for Lowry not hot? He was the first player off the market. He was courted by he Miami heat as their #1 target. He was also on the radar for multiple other teams.

Thomas was not courted as hard but it's for obvious reasons. He is a dime a dozen type of pg. He is similar to the brandon Jennings, brandon knight, Nate Robinsons of th NBA. He is a undersized scoring pg with no defense. And with all of that, he still got a 4 year deal. You also have to consider he didn't get picked up as quick bc of the Lebron fiasco. Suns were trying to get him too.

Rubio is one of the most unique players in the league. He has elite court vision and has great size defensively. You at mistaken if you do not think a team will overpay to him. He is very young and plays exciting ball. Also, if you have noticed, players get overpaid all the time wether it's by luck or opportunity. There will be a team who gambles on him, even if his shooting only improves marginally.