PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Dirk restructures contract again. Taking only 3 years/25 million

Fudge
07-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Dirk is the shit!

ESPN sources say Dirk Nowitzki has taken bigger pay cut than previously thought. Deal finalized today at three years, $25 mil for Mavs lifer

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 03:42 PM
That might be the best contract in the NBA

inclinerator
07-15-2014, 03:42 PM
damnit stop stealing all our money dirk

Meticode
07-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Holy crap. $8.3 million a year for a 22/6 Hall of Famer? Steal.

beastee
07-15-2014, 03:48 PM
The thing that cracks me up about this is how much ridiculous money this still is. 8 million + per year. I could never spend that much money. Good for Dirk being a good guy. He has made plenty of money and knows this is his last hurrah. Kobe's last hurrah....Bitch pay me! :oldlol: :oldlol:

Milbuck
Favorite player ever. Mavs are gonna do some serious damage this year if Chandler can stay healthy.

Carbine
He took a massive pay cut so the Mavs could let go Vince, but sign Parsons for twice as much as Dirk makes.

Good job, Mavs.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 04:00 PM
He took a massive pay cut so the Mavs could let go Vince, but sign Parsons for twice as much as Dirk makes.

Good job, Mavs.

Yea...I said this earlier.

If he was going to take 8 a year roughly.

We could have added Thomas, Ariza, and another player potentially with the money left.

Depends on who we get now though...if we add a solid pg like Mo Williams or Jameer Nelson....it helps a lot.

r0drig0lac
07-15-2014, 04:01 PM
:bowdown:

played0ut
07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
he is probably going to be compensated in some other form, off the books. 'Gifts,' or perhaps a stake in the company.

Skyscraper
07-15-2014, 04:04 PM
seriously, good for Dirk but he is setting a bad example

Cuban is not losing dough.

Most of the owners are not losing money.

The billionaires get richer while the millionaires have to take pay cuts?

TO us, that's like the CEOs getting pay raises while we workers lose out on our Christmas bonuses.

ZMonkey11
07-15-2014, 04:05 PM
he is probably going to be compensated in some other form, off the books. 'Gifts,' or perhaps a stake in the company.

Or usually just a job with the team for life. He already gets everything basically for free, I'm sure. He is Dallas' son. He owns this town.

jimmy77x
07-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Dirk has made over 200 million in his career. He's not a selfish fck like kobe.

miles berg
07-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Turned down max offers from Houston & the Lakers.

#loyalty #mffl

tontoz
07-15-2014, 04:19 PM
That is some serious loyalty right there, taking over 50% less than what he could get. Wow

kentatm
07-15-2014, 04:23 PM

TO us, that's like the CEOs getting pay raises while we workers lose out on our Christmas bonuses.

:biggums:

If there was no salary cap Dirk wouldnt be taking a pay cut to get better players on his team.

So sorry he puts winning above making extra cash he doesnt need.

konex
07-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Dirk is a sucka for taking a paycut to sign Parsons :roll:

jk good on him. At least the Mavs go out and get guys

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM

If there was no salary cap Dirk wouldnt be taking a pay cut to get better players on his team.

So sorry he puts winning above making extra cash he doesnt need.

Dirk can just do one of probably 30 different advertising deals with international companies and make up that money with ease.

He's talked about getting offers all the time.

Dude has just been the ideal franchise player. What a complete stud.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Dirk is a sucka for taking a paycut to sign Parsons :roll:

yea...really sucks having your franchise player willing to do anything it takes to win.

never demanded a trade like Kobe. never ran off star players and coaches because he couldn't handle his ego.

Dirk >>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe

Deal with it.

shortsoptional
07-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Guy has made over 200 mil for his career. His lifestyle isn't going to change much if he ends up with 225 or 250 lifetime.

Mure
07-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Dirk :bowdown: :bowdown:

fragokota
07-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Dirk get's it.He sure ain't leavin but he also wants to help Dallas be competitive during his last years as a player.Kobe better be taking notes...

ALBballer
07-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Makes him much more likeable. Kobe on the other hand got his but I don't want to hear one thing about his teammates.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Dirk rules.

ImKobe
07-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Makes him much more likeable. Kobe on the other hand got his but I don't want to hear one thing about his teammates.

So Kobe is a bad guy because he took what he was offered? :oldlol:

He doesn't owe his fans or his franchise anything. He's won 5 rings and has been called the greatest Laker ever by Jerry West, Shaquille O'Neal and Magic Johnson. It wasn't him who demanded the 48 million dollar contract, he was given the papers and was told to sign them while he was still recovering from injury, he took it because he's obviously a business man and not a laid back family type of a guy like Dirk.

Kobe has other goals outside of basketball, simple as that.

Smook A.
07-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Dirk is a good dude :applause:

bagelred
07-15-2014, 05:22 PM
:roll: What a moron. He could have got the max and he chose to stay with mavs for peanuts. :roll: The owners have players wrapped around their fingers. "Hey can you sacrifice for team? I'm only a multi-billionaire.....i can't afford this!....I'm poor.....I needs a profit!" :roll: players...so stupid.....

navy
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
What if the Mavs dont make the playoffs? :oldlol:

ImKobe
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
:roll: What a moron. He could have got the max and he chose to stay with mavs for peanuts. :roll: The owners have players wrapped around their fingers. "Hey can you sacrifice for team? I'm only a multi-billionaire.....i can't afford this!....I'm poor.....I needs a profit!" :roll: players...so stupid.....

He obviously did it so his team could get more help.

Vienceslav
07-15-2014, 05:28 PM
If only there was a way Mark Cuban could compensate him after his career is over, damn I guess there isn't or at least I can't think of it, something to do with giving him money for services or along those lines.
Dirk is such a gentleman a Rolls Royce of basketball players for giving up all this money to such a worthy cause that are the Dallas Maverics.

bagelred
07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
He obviously did it so his team could get more help.

"Let me sacrifice millions so I can be a winner!" I wants to win!"

Cuban "Thanks. You're such a team player!"

Cuban thinking...sucker....lmao.....I love my billions.....

Vienceslav
07-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Yes, Cuban the billionaire uses the poor German immigrant in his evil greed fueled schemes.
Dirk should set up a 99% rally in front of the Mavs arena.

AirFederer
07-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Good karma :bowdown:

MellowYellow
07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Send in the dogs Adam Silver something's fishy:coleman:

Lamar Odumbb
07-15-2014, 05:47 PM
" Kobe Bryant will make $24.3 million today, could pay as much as $13 million in taxes. Sure, Kobe Bryant's still on the shelf as he works his way back from surgery to repair the torn left Achilles tendon he suffered late last season."

Texas has no state income tax so in reality Kobe is only making 3 million more per year more than Dirk after taxes.

Dirk probably makes 7 million after taxes

Kobe probably makes 11 million after taxes

kentatm
07-15-2014, 05:47 PM

this is one of the worst troll attempts ever.

there is this thing called the cap that makes it impossible to pay guys whatever they hell you want if you want to put together a good roster.

crisoner
07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
I thought you cant restructure your contract in the NBA?

bagelred
07-15-2014, 05:48 PM

LOL what? :oldlol: Uh...no that's not right...lol

bagelred
07-15-2014, 05:50 PM

this is one of the worst troll attempts ever.

there is this thing called the cap that makes it impossible to pay guys whatever they hell you want if you want to put together a good roster.

And who put that cap together? Congress? The owners did...cause dey poor.

Brizzly
07-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Probably had a mutual agreement on the first one and later when he signed they "reconstructed" it.

Brizzly
07-15-2014, 05:56 PM
" Kobe Bryant will make $24.3 million today, could pay as much as $13 million in taxes. Sure, Kobe Bryant's still on the shelf as he works his way back from surgery to repair the torn left Achilles tendon he suffered late last season."

Texas has no state income tax so in reality Kobe is only making 3 million more per year more than Dirk after taxes.

Federal tax you stupid ****.

Brizzly
07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Yes, Cuban the billionaire uses the poor German immigrant in his evil greed fueled schemes.
Dirk should set up a 99% rally in front of the Mavs arena.

Payback for what Dirks ancestors did to Marks ancestors.

bluechox2
07-15-2014, 06:04 PM
whats stopping cuban from writing a 50 mil thank you check after dirk retires?

navy
07-15-2014, 06:06 PM
It means the media got the numbers wrong.

ALBballer
07-15-2014, 06:07 PM

You didn't take into account federal income tax. Kobe would have made 2-3 million more a year in Texas and Dirk would have made a million less or so if he played in Cali.

But it is more complicated then that bc athletes pay state taxes on the road

KyleKong
07-15-2014, 06:07 PM
This just makes Kobe's contract look 10x more retarded.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-15-2014, 06:09 PM
the only reason he did it is just so he can get free beers any time he goes out in Dallas for the rest of his life.

Anaximandro1
07-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Dirk, classy guy, right attitude, consummate pro and my favorite non-Spur player.

Mavs looking good for next year :(

The Choken One
07-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Man F dat bum. TOP EM DUNCAN! Take 5mil/year.

lol

bluechox2
07-15-2014, 07:27 PM
cuban already got a check written out that will be sent out automatically from his personal account when dirk retires..."thanks for saving me tons on the luxury tax i would have had to pay if you had asked for more, now here is you piece of that pie"

gts
07-15-2014, 07:39 PM
This contract is going to be highway robbery by the Mavs in two years when the cap goes up by 15 million.. There's a reason Wade Lebron and others are taking two year contracts this time around...

Secondly the next CBA is going to be a bloodbath, we're going to miss a lot of basketball... NBPA isn't happy with these guys being forced to take pay cuts or as Stein said

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
LeBron is right to refuse to take any more pay cuts. The LeBrons and Dirks and Duncans shouldn't have to do this to help their teams win

Put Dirk's deal down as umpteenth example of the Rout of the Century that NBA owners foisted upon the union in last labor negotiations

Droid101
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
I don't get why the players union hasn't pushed to remove the cap or remove maximum salaries yet. It's so stupid. All they have to do is point to New York/Brooklyn as teams that spend money but get nowhere, and over to OKC and San Antonio as teams that don't spend but still win.

Oh well. Strike, here we come. :(

kentatm
07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
I don't get why the players union hasn't pushed to remove the cap or remove maximum salaries yet. It's so stupid. All they have to do is point to New York/Brooklyn as teams that spend money but get nowhere, and over to OKC and San Antonio as teams that don't spend but still win.

Oh well. Strike, here we come. :(

the best solution would be to have no cap like MLB but to also have non guaranteed contracts like the NFL so dudes couldnt become fat slugs once they get paid.

I doubt owners will want to give up the cap or players give up the guaranteed deals.

TheMarkMadsen
07-15-2014, 08:09 PM
yea...really sucks having your franchise player willing to do anything it takes to win.

never demanded a trade like Kobe. never ran off star players and coaches because he couldn't handle his ego.

Dirk >>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe

Deal with it.

Wow you sensitive little bitch he said he was joking.

:lol :oldlol:

You can use as many >>> signs as you want but Kobe could have retired 5 years ago and Dirk still wouldn't be able to touch him.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Wow you sensitive little bitch he said he was joking.

:lol :oldlol:

You can use as many >>> signs as you want but Kobe could have retired 5 years ago and Dirk still wouldn't be able to touch him.

Not how I feel at al.

Sorry.

You give me a choice to draft Kobe or Dirk knowing what we know...and I'm taking Dirk.

Truth is you guys got lucky as **** the Grizzlies needed to dump Gasol. No Gasol trade and from 05 to present your Lakers wouldn't have done shit.

I know it must burn you up that one player is making moves to help the team win and build for the present and future...while the other is driving away the best center in the game. LOL

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 08:17 PM
i still cant believe dude left like 50 million on the table...wow

ihatetimthomas
07-15-2014, 08:17 PM
didnt read the thread but wonder the over under on how many posters are bashing kobes contract here

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
the best solution would be to have no cap like MLB but to also have non guaranteed contracts like the NFL so dudes couldnt become fat slugs once they get paid.

I doubt owners will want to give up the cap or players give up the guaranteed deals.
small market teams will never allow eliminating the max or no salary cap

MellowYellow
07-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Dirk is #4 among active players in career earnings, and is taking a paycut at 36 not in his prime. Let's not pretend he isn't about dat money and I am sure Cuban promised to hook him up once his career is over.

TheMarkMadsen
07-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Not how I feel at al.

Sorry.

You give me a choice to draft Kobe or Dirk knowing what we know...and I'm taking Dirk.

Truth is you guys got lucky as **** the Grizzlies needed to dump Gasol. No Gasol trade and from 05 to present your Lakers wouldn't have done shit.

I know it must burn you up that one player is making moves to help the team win and build for the present and future...while the other is driving away the best center in the game. LOL

Cool, the biggest dirk homer on the planet would choose dirk over the guy he's made multiple accounts just to hate on.. Suprising coming from a massive Kobe hater

You take the guy who got bounced in the first round as MVP & who only has one fluke ring which is more infamous for how poorly the opposing star played than how well anybody played on the Mavs..

You can take the guy who got bounced by his former teammate a year after he left and went on to win 2 MVPs after leaving dirk.. the whole time while playing with dirk who supposedly had "no help" .. Embarrassing

And il take the unanimous top 10 goat

Face it, without the biggest choke job in the modern era of the nba Dirk would forever be known as a soft german who choked in the playoffs as MVP and had an epic meltdown in the 06 finals..

Dirk isn't anywhere near Kobe, this isn't worthy of the time I already gave it.

bigt
07-15-2014, 08:38 PM
the only reason he did it is just so he can get free beers any time he goes out in Dallas for the rest of his life.

Let's be honest, he probably hasn't been paying for them for years nown:oldlol:

Dirk just keeps sacrificing for the team, no doubt he's guaranteed a cushy job in the organisation that overpays when he's finished, the guy IS the Dallas Mavericks at this point :bowdown:

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Cool, the biggest dirk homer on the planet would choose dirk over the guy he's made multiple accounts just to hate on.. Suprising coming from a massive Kobe hater

You take the guy who got bounced in the first round as MVP & who only has one fluke ring which is more infamous for how poorly the opposing star played than how well anybody played on the Mavs..

You can take the guy who got bounced by his former teammate a year after he left and went on to win 2 MVPs after leaving dirk.. the whole time while playing with dirk who supposedly had "no help" .. Embarrassing

And il take the unanimous top 10 goat

Face it, without the biggest choke job in the modern era of the nba Dirk would forever be known as a soft german who choked in the playoffs as MVP and had an epic meltdown in the 06 finals..

Dirk isn't anywhere near Kobe, this isn't worthy of the time I already gave it.

Great. And I disagree. All you do is attack straw men arguments and ignore Kobe's actual career.

Not all players are fortunate enough to play with prime/peak Shaq for 8 years of their careers....and then be coached by the GOAT coach for pretty much every relevant year.

Not really even a knock on Kobe. I just think Dirk in those circumstances would have done as well or better...and I definitely want Dirk on a team like the Mavs. Kobe would have split a long time ago in Dallas.

LOL at Kobe sticking around on a team that gives him Jason Terry as his best player for roughly a decade. Dude almost split after a couple tough years...calling Dan Patrick asking for a trade.

Give me Dirk as my franchise guy.

HylianNightmare
07-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Hope it's worth it and they surround him with the right players to compete

BlazerRed
07-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Cuban going to be paying for Dirk's hookers for the rest of his life :rockon:

MavsSuperFan
07-15-2014, 09:12 PM
I tend to think some of this is due to dirk being raised in western europe. Modern western europe is less focused on money than we are used to in america

rmt
07-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Great deal for the Mavs - that's a bargain for Dirk, but that Parsons contract - YIKES!

kenny817
07-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Great deal for the Mavs - that's a bargain for Dirk, but that Parsons contract - YIKES!

Parsons Dirk Monta = $32 mil...that's $10.67 per person

Add in Tyson and that's $11.75 per...that's a steal

Threethrows
07-15-2014, 09:43 PM

I'm thinking if Dirk walked into Cuban's office and asked for a yacht, Cuban would buy him 2.

russwest0
07-15-2014, 09:49 PM
so while LeBron is doing his attention whoring, team hopping shit this offseason, Dirk does this?

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I think Dirk just secured a spot over Bran on the alltime list for me.

knickballer
07-15-2014, 09:59 PM
I tend to think some of this is due to dirk being raised in western europe. Modern western europe is less focused on money than we are used to in america

Maybe but Dirk probably recognizes the fact that the Mavs took a shot on him and persisted with him(struggled with his 1st year) and always embraced him. In return Dirk respects the Mavs and has given the organization something astronomical. He is single handily responsible for the turnaround of that organization from going to a Bobcats type of organization(before he got there along with Cuban) to one of the best organizations in the league that has been probably the second most successful team in the L after the Spurs since 2000 or so.

stalkerforlife
07-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Dirk > Lebron on my all time list.

SpecialQue
07-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe

:kobe:

Nowitness
07-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Very Disappointed.

Very selfish of Dirk to do this.

Jacks3
07-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Great decision by Dirk. Lose millions and millions of dollars to continue to lose in the 1st or 2nd round. Good shit. :bowdown:

kenny817
07-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Great decision by Dirk. Lose millions and millions of dollars to continue to lose in the 1st or 2nd round. Good shit. :bowdown:

Hilarious considering Kobe won't sniff the playoffs ever again

choppermagic
07-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Hilarious considering Kobe won't sniff the playoffs ever again

Why is it hilarious? What does the Laker's playoff chances have to do with Dirk's salary value and whether it was a good deal or not?

DMAVS41
07-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Why is it hilarious? What does the Laker's playoff chances have to do with Dirk's salary value and whether it was a good deal or not?

Why would fans of a team ever want to be worse?

If Dirk is willing to sacrifice this much for my favorite team...all it does is make me like him even more regardless of the outcome.

As a fan...there is honestly no other player outside of like Magic, Bird, Michael, and Duncan that I'd rather have as my franchise player.

BoutPractice
07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
The problem with people who are all about rational self-interest is that they don't get that not everyone wants the same things.

Maybe Dirk simply doesn't care that much about the money... So he's not "losing" anything from taking a paycut. He's doing exactly what he wants. You're never a "sucker" for getting exactly what you want. No one should define for Dirk, or LeBron, or anyone else, what they ought to want.

DMAVS41
07-16-2014, 02:20 PM
The problem with people who are all about rational self-interest is that they don't get that not everyone wants the same things.

Maybe Dirk simply doesn't care that much about the money... So he's not "losing" anything from taking a paycut. He's doing exactly what he wants. You're never a "sucker" for getting exactly what you want. No one should define for Dirk, or LeBron, or anyone else, what they ought to want.

I know this is the case because Dirk has routinely talked about not needing so much.

He turns down offers all the time from international companies to be promote their products. He could easily have a Rolex commercial if he wanted it...stuff like that. He's an international name that could for sure make up a lot of this money if he wanted it.

All about priorities. Dirk would rather have a chance to win over more money right now. Side note, can we please all acknowledge that Cuban will make this up to Dirk in the long run? Dirk going to take some job on the Mavs that pays him 5 million a year or something if he wants. Dirk is in a rare situation that he knows he'll be taken care of...like Wade in Miami. Not all players are in situations like that. This is one thing about being loyal that it earns you this ability...Dirk, Duncan, Wade, Kobe...etc. They know they'll be taken care of if it comes to that ever. Well, not sure about Kobe now that Dr. Buss died...maybe that is why he took that contract.

Anyway, the point is that some people don't value money as much as others. Clearly Dirk is one of those guys. He could have made another 100 million over his career doing commercials internationally if he really wanted to.