PDA

View Full Version : TS vs eFG vs FG

riseagainst
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM
which one do you think is the best representation of scoring efficiency?

as a lebron fan, i can tell you right now that all lebron stans are going to say FG%.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Ts
Efg
Fg

fpliii
07-15-2014, 04:09 PM
TS% of course, but FG% can be very useful if you're looking at shooting by zone.

Inactive
07-15-2014, 04:12 PM
1.TS% calculated with pbp data, instead of the .44 estimate is the best measure of shooting efficiency.

2. Standard TS%.

3. eFG%

4. FG%

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Well FG% and eFG% are the basic ones.. The others are made up / arbitrary.

Milbuck
07-15-2014, 04:20 PM
1) TS
2) eFG
3) FG

riseagainst
07-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Well FG% and eFG% are the basic ones.. The others are made up / arbitrary.

eFG is not really made up or arbitrary. FG and eFG are essentially the same concept.

Mass Debator
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Looking at all FG/3P/FT individually and as a whole.

Inactive
07-15-2014, 04:27 PM
eFG is not really made up or arbitrary. FG and eFG are essentially the same concept.TS% is not made up or arbitrary either. It's the same concept as eFG%.

riseagainst
07-15-2014, 04:29 PM
TS% is not made up or arbitrary either. It's the same concept as eFG%.

they differ. TS is more of a point per possession. eFG is more of a point per shot.

Inactive
07-15-2014, 04:30 PM
they differ. TS is more of a point per possession. eFG is more of a point per shot.TS is a point per shot, including FTA. eFG is a point per shot excluding FTA.

FG% is the percentage of fga that went in, irrespective of points. It's the one that differs from the other two.

Ne 1
07-15-2014, 04:34 PM
For scoring efficiency from the field, use eFG%. For overall scoring efficiency, use TS%. I personally prefer TS% over FG%, which adjusts for the value of a three point shot and free throw shooting - extremely important factors in valuing someone's efficiency. FG% only tells you their percentage of overall shots from the field, but doesn't take into consideration that a three point shot results in more points than a two point shot, or that free throws matter.

TS% is a pretty good stat because it helps show the value of players like Dirk and other perimeter shooting big men, while showing that their overall efficiency isn't much worse than more traditional big men.

riseagainst
07-15-2014, 04:36 PM
TS is a point per shot, including FTA. eFG is a point per shot excluding FTA.

FG% is the percentage of fga that went in, irrespective of points. It's the one that differs from the other two.

TS includes freethrows, so why would you ever associate "shooting" with it?
When you see a player with a high TS%, you would say something like: "he's a very efficient scorer." Not "he's a very efficient shooter."

eFG and FG would associate with "he's a very efficient shooter" since they are based solely on the number of shots they took.

Inactive
07-15-2014, 04:44 PM
TS includes freethrows, so why would you ever associate "shooting" with it?
When you see a player with a high TS%, you would say something like: "he's a very efficient scorer." Not "he's a very efficient shooter."

eFG and FG would associate with "he's a very efficient shooter" since they are based solely on the number of shots they took.This comes down to semantics. When I said shots, I meant shooting attempts of any type. When you said shots, you meant field goal attempts.

eFG% tells you how efficiently you scored on FGA. TS% tells you how efficiently you scored overall. FG% doesn't tell you how efficiently you scored.

navy
07-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Looking at all FG/3P/FT individually and as a whole.
This.

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
eFG is not really made up or arbitrary. FG and eFG are essentially the same concept.

Thats what I just said :wtf:

And like MassDebator said, ist useless putting them all into one, like the made up TS% is... Just look at FG% / FT% individually..

Young X
07-15-2014, 05:28 PM
TS% is the best.

If 2 teams have the same amount of rebounds and turnovers the team with the higher TS% will always win.

tontoz
07-15-2014, 06:09 PM
FG% is worthless for any player that takes 3s. If you take 3s it generally hurts your FG% even if you shoot them well.

Vienceslav
07-15-2014, 06:11 PM
You use whatever suits your argument best and if none does you simply make up a new one, which I suspect lead in part to the creation of the new ones as well.