PDA

View Full Version : Is the East improving?

Mrofir
07-15-2014, 03:54 PM
What do you guys think?

It's possible the Lebron move will create a situation where the west will be heavily favored to win any finals matchup, but conference-wide, I think the east looks stronger next season.

This past season there was only 1 legitimately strong team, followed by a bunch of teams that would have struggled to make the playoffs in the west.

Next season there might be 4 decent squads in the east -- Wiz, Heat, Bulls, and of course Cavs. Pacers and Knicks will be ok -- I could see each of these teams (especially the first 4) competing reasonably well in the western conference and having a good shot at making the playoffs.

Meanwhile currently in the west the Rockets look to be worse next season, Spurs will probably be at least a bit less dominant. The cellar in the west will become more pronounced, as the Kings will be terrible, Wolves terrible, and Lakers and Jazz not improving.

Is balance returning?

Milbuck
07-15-2014, 04:10 PM
As of right now, I see 3 potential contenders in the Cavs, Bulls, and Pacers (if they keep Lance). Then 3 more good to great teams in the Wizards, Raptors, and Heat. Then there's teams that could break out like the Hornets, Hawks, and Pistons. The conference still isn't great, but it's not comically bad anymore.

Legends66NBA7
07-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Who do you have making the playoffs in the east, OP ?

Mrofir
07-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Who do you have making the playoffs in the east, OP ?

I guess early prediction would have to be something like --

1) Bulls
2) Cavs
3) Wiz
4) Heat
5) Pacers
6) Knicks
7) Raptors
8) Bobcats

This is in a world where Derrick Rose stays healthy and plays at a borderline all star level, putting up something like 17/7, and Pau Gasol and Noah play well together.

I think the passing big man combo of Gasol\Noah will be a force to be reckoned with, and the Bulls are going to be good next year.

hangintheair
07-15-2014, 04:35 PM

1) Bulls
2) Cavs
3) Wiz
4) Heat
5) Pacers
6) Knicks
7) Raptors
8) Bobcats

This is in a world where Derrick Rose stays healthy and plays at a borderline all star level, putting up something like 17/7, and Pau Gasol and Noah play well together.

I think the passing big man combo of Gasol\Noah will be a force to be reckoned with, and the Bulls are going to be good next year.

I like your list but it should be Hornets.

Knicks is a good team with Carmelo on the helm. But they would certainly need something to make them in the playoff. Now that Chandler is out, who will be their Center? The most inconsistent player Dalembert.

Mrofir
07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
I like your list but it should be Hornets.

Knicks is a good team with Carmelo on the helm. But they would certainly need something to make them in the playoff. Now that Chandler is out, who will be their Center? The most inconsistent player Dalembert.

lol I totally forgot

As for knicks, I'm attributing improvement to a general culture change there. I don't think they will be great, I just think they will play closer to their talent level, and it also wouldn't surprise me if they made an additional tweak or two to the roster.. I'd expect 42-48 wins from them. I think the top 5 in the east will be win-heavy, 52 and above.

Duderonomy
07-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Yeah it's getting better. Outside of the Magic, celtics, Bucks, and 76ers are there any other week teams?

ralph_i_el
07-15-2014, 04:40 PM

1) Bulls
2) Cavs
3) Wiz
4) Heat
5) Pacers
6) Knicks
7) Raptors
8) Bobcats

Hawks will be good. Knicks will be bad. Hawks were at a 50+ win pace before AL Horford went down last season

atljonesbro
07-15-2014, 04:45 PM

1) Bulls
2) Cavs
3) Wiz
4) Heat
5) Pacers
6) Knicks
7) Raptors
8) Bobcats

The Hawks don't just magically drop out of the playoffs having a healthy Al Horford. They'll be a top 5 seed very easily.

Legends66NBA7
07-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Not sure why Atlanta would be excluded.

Explanations for Washington over Miami and Indiana ? New York over Toronto and Charlotte ?

Mrofir
07-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Not sure why Atlanta would be excluded.

Explanations for Washington over Miami and Indiana ? New York over Toronto and Charlotte ?

Obviously making any type of prediction is very dangerous. I'm sure some of this list will look very silly by Christmas.

But most of my logic is predicated on the end of last season -- Knicks went 17-5 to close the regular season, for example, and while I don't think for a moment they will win at that clip next year, I believe they will be better overall.

Toronto also finished strong in the regular season but they disappointed in the playoffs. I just think they are an incomplete team coming off an overachieving season, and the rest of the conference around them is improving.

Washington also finished strong at 18-10, but they also performed well in the playoffs, and I honestly like their offseason moves so far. I like Paul Pierce there, I like resigning Gortat, John Wall is still improving, and if they can land D.Blair I just think they are a very balanced team. Apologies if I missed news about Blair one way or the other.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Healthy Rose + Gasol = YES

Mrofir
07-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Hawks will be good. Knicks will be bad. Hawks were at a 50+ win pace before AL Horford went down last season

As far as I can tell Hawks were 16-13 with Horford last season, and they finished the year with a losing record.

Also Horford has now torn both pectoral muscles in a span of 2 years. Something is up. As a Gators fan I truly hope he's fine, but that is a concern.

As to the other Hawks comment, going from 8th seed\38 wins to missing the playoffs would not require anything close to magic. In order to be a top 5 seed they will have to be better than at least 2 of the following teams -- Heat, Pacers, Wizards, Cavs, Bulls, Raptors...

Still, I won't be surprised if I'm wrong and they win 45 games.

Magic 32
07-15-2014, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXkokyBlktA&t=1m6s

ralph_i_el
07-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Obviously making any type of prediction is very dangerous. I'm sure some of this list will look very silly by Christmas.

But most of my logic is predicated on the end of last season -- Knicks went 17-5 to close the regular season, for example, and while I don't think for a moment they will win at that clip next year, I believe they will be better overall.

Toronto also finished strong in the regular season but they disappointed in the playoffs. I just think they are an incomplete team coming off an overachieving season, and the rest of the conference around them is improving.

Washington also finished strong at 18-10, but they also performed well in the playoffs, and I honestly like their offseason moves so far. I like Paul Pierce there, I like resigning Gortat, John Wall is still improving, and if they can land D.Blair I just think they are a very balanced team. Apologies if I missed news about Blair one way or the other.

The Knicks were better at the end of the year because Tyson chandler was hurt most of the first half of the season. He's gone now. They are going to be super weak in the frontcourt

ralph_i_el
07-15-2014, 05:10 PM
As far as I can tell Hawks were 16-13 with Horford last season, and they finished the year with a losing record.

Also Horford has now torn both pectoral muscles in a span of 2 years. Something is up. As a Gators fan I truly hope he's fine, but that is a concern.

As to the other Hawks comment, going from 8th seed\38 wins to missing the playoffs would not require anything close to magic. In order to be a top 5 seed they will have to be better than at least 2 of the following teams -- Heat, Pacers, Wizards, Cavs, Bulls, Raptors...

16-13 was 3rd in the east at the time. I just think adding an all-star level big back into the equation on an average team will have them in the playoffs. They may be a low seed but that team is just much better than the Knicks imo

Mrofir
07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
The Knicks were better at the end of the year because Tyson chandler was hurt most of the first half of the season. He's gone now. They are going to be super weak in the frontcourt

You have a point. The bottom 3 playoff teams of the eastern conference is going to be very tough to predict

atljonesbro
07-15-2014, 05:13 PM

Al Horford is a bigger "addition" than any other team had aside from the cavs and Bulls with Rose. Al Horford back in the line up pretty much seals up a top 5 seed imo.

Mrofir
07-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Al Horford is a bigger "addition" than any other team had aside from the cavs and probably Bulls with Rose. Al Horford back in the line up pretty much seals up a top 5 seed imo.

Fair enough, but which of the teams I mentioned will finish with a worse record than Atlanta? Heat and Wiz maybe? Pacers if they lose Lance? I just don't see it..

atljonesbro
07-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Fair enough, but which of the teams I mentioned will finish with a worse record than Atlanta? Heat and Wiz maybe? Pacers if they lose Lance? I just don't see it..
I could see them passing up the bottom 4 teams and maybe the Wizards. I still think Miami will be a very good team and could see them being better than Washington as well.

hawkfan
07-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Thank you.
9.5 million in cap space.
Not done yet.

ralph_i_el
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you.
9.5 million in cap space.
Not done yet.
I like this hawks team. I'm a big Wiz fan but I wouldn't complain if someone had the hawks higher on their list.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
The East has to be improving because they keep landing all these high lottery picks. Top 4 picks in 2014. Top 4 picks in 2013. 3 of the top 4 in 2012. Eventually these guys have to develop, right?

MKG, Beal, Waiters, Bennett, Dipo, Porter, Zeller, Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Gordon.

Unibrow, the one top 4 pick going West. Of course, he appears to be the best of the bunch right now.

That's how the West became so dominant overall. Westbrook, Durant, Griffin, Aldridge. All top 4 picks in somewhat recent drafts becoming major building blocks to franchises that have built themselves into legitimately good teams, if not contenders. Spurs are the best case in the NBA for that, although Duncan was drafted a while back. Mostly built through the draft. Same with Golden State. Conley also a top 4 pick. Other than Gasol, I think he's the most important player on Memphis.

Conference strength changes all the time. Soon the East will be better than the West. Then it will change again. It's not static.

Although as a whole next season in the landscape of the entire NBA, the East is worse, imo. Last season for as bad as they were, they had a championship contender. It's become popular to make fun of Miami, but I believe they beat anyone in coming out of the West other than the Spurs last season. Maybe not Memphis, but Memphis wasn't beating San Antonio. The playoffs are about matchups. This year as is, unless Rose comes back to MVP form or the Cavs get Love, I don't see anyone in the East beating the Spurs, OKC, or even the Clippers.